• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Plays Mafia/Werewolf |OT5| Ma5ia Harder (Sign up in thread to play!)

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

Kawl_USC

I actually no pretty much nothing about the series. It's similar to AA in that it's mostly a visual novel with puzzles intertwined, right?

Bowlie

Banned
That wasn't meant for you (or anyone specifically), Ouro, you didn't have to edit :3 I just want him to be surprised.

edit:

There is the visual novel part, with mostly text as the story advances and at some points you'll be asked to make a decision, and some puzzle parts in between.

Sorian

Banned
I actually no pretty much nothing about the series. It's similar to AA in that it's mostly a visual novel with puzzles intertwined, right?

Pretty much. The puzzles are all "escape the room" type deals, reminiscent of old flash games. And the visual novel sections have choices here and there that are important.

brb planning a Redwall game
I'd be sooo down for that.
Long Patrol/Badger themed or bust.

Also thanks to Burbs tease I went ahead and bought 999, it better not suck.
Good job on both accounts, the Long Patrol is truly the best and 999 is awesome too.
:p the trailer for ZTD will be up in a few hoursssssss

sorry for the off-topic talk.

I can't wait for it! Got the watch preordered with the game.

Kawl_USC

Ah thanks for the clarification people. I almost got the iOS version but it seems to be lacking the puzzle/gameplay aspects so I got the ds version to be delivered tomorrow.

roytheone

Ah thanks for the clarification people. I almost got the iOS version but it seems to be lacking the puzzle/gameplay aspects so I got the ds version to be delivered tomorrow.

Pro-tip 2: note puzzle solutions of rooms down somewhere so that you can quickly look them up if you want to. Trust me, you will be happy you did.

Fireblend

Banned

You won't regret it. It's an outstanding game. I think 999 is a bit better than VLR, but both are very good. Can't wait for the trailer for ZSD :D my special edition preorder is already secured too.

Ourobolus

Banned
I enjoyed 999. The demo for the sequel was kind of off-putting, though. I'm not sure exactly what it was.

Overall, I thought VLR was pretty...meh. I really didn't like the graphic style compared to 999 - deaths and the like always seemed so cartoony. Ambidex was cool, but based on the nature of the game and the routes you have to take, are largely inconsequential since the results are predetermined.

Great choice. Everybody talks about the stories of these games (and for good reason) but I'll always love the puzzles almost as much. They're an essential part of the experience.

Burbeting

Banned
wait, 999 on IOS doesn't have the puzzles? wtf is the point

Plotplotplot.

I think VLR works well enough on it's own, but the tonal difference to 999 does feel bit jarring, since 999 has much darker atmosphere, while VLR definitely goes for the more sci-fi route. Both approaches work, but as a series it's bit weird.

Swamped

Banned
Plotplotplot.

I think VLR works well enough on it's own, but the tonal difference to 999 does feel bit jarring, since 999 has much darker atmosphere, while VLR definitely goes for the more sci-fi route. Both approaches work, but as a series it's bit weird.

This is why I can't wait for ZTD. I missed that daaaaark atmosphere (with silly jokes interspersed in between of course).

Civil War Mafia would be awesome as a main season game. I think it might be the first role madness game we have hosted.

Bowlie

Banned
and Ace Attorney! I wanna know what happened between AA3 and AA4 but
Phoenix
is just teasing me, "don't worry, you'll learn soon".

Sorian

Banned
Well if we're gonna be off topic, any of you watch/read Liar Game or The Genius?

It's not off-topic, Burb is running a game soon based on VLR! :p

I think Haly recommended The Genius to us a few OTs ago and I really meant to watch it but I never ended up doing it. It's on my list though.

Karkador

Banned
To the uninitiated, Liar Game is a Japanese manga and live-action (fictional) show, The Genius is a rather shameless ripoff of the concept by Korea, but played 'for real' with a bunch of Korean celebrities.

Well if we're gonna be off topic, any of you watch/read Liar Game or The Genius?

Watched The Genius! Don't know how many times this has played in my head during some points of these mafia games. I really hope they do another season, it's awesome to see a reality show be more about the game than the drama between the people playing it. While we're at it, I'd love another season of The Mole.

To the uninitiated, Liar Game is a Japanese manga and live-action (fictional) show, The Genius is a rather shameless ripoff of the concept by Korea, but played 'for real' with a bunch of Korean celebrities.

I was disappointed when I found out it copied a lot from the Liar Game, lord knows they took a ton of music. Need to watch the Liar Game at some point though.

Swamped

Banned
I've watched season 1, 3 and 4 of The Genius. I watch a a fair bit of Korean reality TV anyway, but this show is really fun to watch anyway! I love the opening too, it's so slick.

Karkador

Banned
I was disappointed when I found out it copied a lot from the Liar Game, lord knows they took a ton of music. Need to watch the Liar Game at some point though.

Yeah, when they are even copying the style of the music, it's just so obvious, haha.

I didn't watch all of Liar Game, but what I saw was pretty good. J-dramas can be so corny, though.

The Genius has pretty good production values, but it often felt staged...or just, the way they edit the show can be frustrating, with how they will casually skip over something that happened in the game just to make it seem more intriguing when they reveal it later.

roytheone

Watched The Genius! Don't know how many times this has played in my head during some points of these mafia games. I really hope they do another season, it's awesome to see a reality show be more about the game than the drama between the people playing it. While we're at it, I'd love another season of The Mole.

Season 16 of the Dutch version of the mole just finished. I got it wrong :(

Be prepared to play it multiple times before you truly win.

I predict an axe related death on your first pass.

just beat 999 a few days ago
got the knife ending first time round,
it hurt me inside.
now to find where the hell in NZ i can actually buy VLR!

also iron man 3 was unmitigated feces, that is all.

Karkador

Banned
The Iron Man movies have always been overrated, IMO. Iron Man 3 at least had that hilariously bizarre shot of the POTUS crucified in a robot suit, though.

Season 16 of the Dutch version of the mole just finished. I got it wrong :(

I was on a Mole kick recently, and I tried out an episode of the dutch version (it seems to be one of the only countries still airing a version) it was interesting but it is difficult to read subtitles and follow the game/read people at the same time. Might give it another shot though. But I remember having my mind blown at the end of the first season I ever watched lol.

Enker

I did not expect a Princess hammer to come down that quickly. Good job fellow call center operators, busboys, janitors, elephant poop shovelers, daycare workers, and morlocks!

Oh, I meant Princesses. Yes, Princesses living the dream.

We are now waiting for verdict just like in real life court~~~

Ourochan, drive over to sorryan's house and wake him up pls~

You live close by, right???

:D

Top Bottom