• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Plays Mafia/Werewolf |OT5| Ma5ia Harder (Sign up in thread to play!)

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

El Topo

You're pressuring me already without having played the game, YNnNY?

*takes note*
"Give YNnNY the role of Stanley Gimble."

Ourobolus

Banned
So I know Crab has his guide that he gives out to the mods here and there, but I thought about putting together a bit more specific to GAFia, based on the lessons I've learned through my excellent storied slipshod career as moderator/mentor here.

This guide covers roles, balancing, priority of actions, win conditions, voting, replacements, and a few other things, and it's still being worked on, but for the most part it's got the main information in there.

I posted it in Discord, figured I'd throw a link here as well.

If you have any comments, feel free to post them here or PM me on GAF or Discord.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B9JHhb1KRkPpKomG89mqGoAR--dztEy2HsYNV69IlvA/edit?usp=sharing

Sorian

Banned
I don't see the section specifically about making cabot post in memes and how funny that can be :p

Did you want to include anything about extraneous mechanics and what can be good, what can be bad, and overall what should be considered with them? Citing your thoughts from the mission mechanic in Archer which I know you say taught you a lot.

If I missed it and you did talk about what is in the spoiler text then....uh....I'm tired and my eyes were glazed over when I was reading?

Ourobolus

Banned
I don't see the section specifically about making cabot post in memes and how funny that can be :p

Did you want to include anything about extraneous mechanics and what can be good, what can be bad, and overall what should be considered with them? Citing your thoughts from the mission mechanic in Archer which I know you say taught you a lot.

If I missed it and you did talk about what is in the spoiler text then....uh....I'm tired and my eyes were glazed over when I was reading?

I was planning on it, but not yet.

What makes watchers bastard?

I said "arguably bastard," but from the mafiascum wiki: "Because it is easier to choose who is likely to be targeted by scum at Night than it is to determine who performs the scum kill, Watcher is considerably more powerful than Tracker. In addition, because having the name of a scum to lynch is better than having someone confirmed Town due to being targeted by the Mafia kill, Watcher is more powerful than Doctor. Last, because the meta is such that Cops and Trackers are more anticipated power roles than Watchers, Watcher has been considered more "cheap" than both of them. As a result, Watcher is a particularly strong power role with negative connotations associated with it."

Palmer_v1

What makes watchers bastard?

They're arguably stronger than any other investigative role. They're bastard in that a Watcher is going to very quickly learn the names of all other power roles. It's MUCH easier to guess the scum's target than it is to guess the scum's killer.

I'd say Watcher > Role Cop > Follower > Tracker > Voyeur

Ouro, I would split Motion Detector into a Tracker and Watcher variants. One that would be both, especially without clarification, seems somewhat useless.

One that gets a clarifaction is decently more powerful than the type that can only do one.

The Cthulhu variant, for example, could only sense actions done by the target

SalvaPot

So I know Crab has his guide that he gives out to the mods here and there, but I thought about putting together a bit more specific to GAFia, based on the lessons I've learned through my excellent storied slipshod career as moderator/mentor here.

This guide covers roles, balancing, priority of actions, win conditions, voting, replacements, and a few other things, and it's still being worked on, but for the most part it's got the main information in there.

I posted it in Discord, figured I'd throw a link here as well.

If you have any comments, feel free to post them here or PM me on GAF or Discord.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B9JHhb1KRkPpKomG89mqGoAR--dztEy2HsYNV69IlvA/edit?usp=sharing

I don't remember receiving this when I was working on the Harry Potter game.

Chances are I did and ignored it anyway.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ouro, I would split Motion Detector into a Tracker and Watcher variants. One that would be both, especially without clarification, seems somewhat useless.

One that gets a clarifaction is decently more powerful than the type that can only do one.

The Cthulhu variant, for example, could only sense actions done by the target

Typically a Motion Detector does both - it tells you if any roles were done on or performed by the target.
Otherwise, I have Tracker and Watcher already in there.

Motion detector feels sort of like what you want to add if you feel a team is a little weak, but not by much

It definitely works best at end game imo, and still requires scum-hunting to be applied to the results to truly be effective

Sorian

Banned
Think there was a motion detector in Princess.

I will never remember what roles were in princess. Too much went unused :V

Motion detector feels sort of like what you want to add if you feel a team is a little weak, but not by much

It definitely works best at end game imo, and still requires scum-hunting to be applied to the results to truly be effective

Motion detector is something I would expect to see in a very vanilla game. Like I could have seen town or scum in love boat getting a motion detector instead of having two trackers in the game.

*Splinter

I will never remember what roles were in princess. Too much went unused :V

Motion detector is something I would expect to see in a very vanilla game. Like I could have seen town or scum in love boat getting a motion detector instead of having two trackers in the game.
Incidentally, VI had a Motion Detector or 2

:p

Palmer_v1

If you were going to do a game about 90s East Coast West Coast rivalry who would be scum?

As my boy Tupac once said:

fuck Mobb Deep,
fuck Biggie,
fuck Bad Boy as a staff, record label, and as a mother fucking crew.
And if you want to be down with Bad Boy,
Then fuck you too.
Chino XL, fuck you too.
All you mother fuckers,
fuck you too.

There's your scum team.

Sorian

Banned
Incidentally, VI had a Motion Detector or 2

:p

VI's bestow power roles were very vanilla, and mostly useless.

By nature, I'm glad there was a lot of vanilla and mostly useless powers via bestow in VI. It was the point and why I was chucking my powers in the trashcan (though mine ended up being one of the more useful ones I think). It tempered some of the crazy because people could only hold the 3 powers. VI was a very clever game only hurt by the king situation and the easy feedback loop that scum could fall into (both positive or negative) down in the afterlife.

Sorian

Banned

fuck Mobb Deep,
fuck Biggie,
Then fuck you too.
Chino XL, fuck you too.
All you mother fuckers,
fuck you too.

There's your scum team.

f7FdEdG.jpg

squidyj

fuck Mobb Deep,
fuck Biggie,
Then fuck you too.
Chino XL, fuck you too.
All you mother fuckers,
fuck you too.

There's your scum team.

yeah but what do we do about Suge?

Coppanuva

By nature, I'm glad there was a lot of vanilla and mostly useless powers via bestow in VI. It was the point and why I was chucking my powers in the trashcan (though mine ended up being one of the more useful ones I think). It tempered some of the crazy because people could only hold the 3 powers. VI was a very clever game only hurt by the king situation and the easy feedback loop that scum could fall into (both positive or negative) down in the afterlife.

As scum, the switcher power was FAR from useless. #SwitcherOrgy was the best thing that came out of it.

Kawl_USC

it was. one of my favorite games actually

sign me up as a replacement btw

not for batman though, Roy gave me some hints as to its design a while back

I see how it is....I'm trying to get a perfectly good game going, and you just jump in to be a replacement instead.

For the new page:
Actual details:

Number of players: 9
Set-up: See Mafia6 Link above, specific set up will be randomly selected and will not be revealed
Start Time: Whenever enough people are signed up
Day/Night Length: Leaning towards 48 hours/24 hours since it's a smaller and simpler game. I could be convinced to run 72 hours/24 hours mayhaps if the players desired.

Player List:
1. SkyOdin
2. Ourorourourourourourobolous
3. Nin1000 (Currently in Burb's game, tenative)
4. Flame_AC
5. SalvaPot
6. SquidyJ
7. Terrabyte20xx (Currently in Burb's game, tenative)
8. StanleyPalmtree

Top Bottom