• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Plays Mafia/Werewolf |OT5| Ma5ia Harder (Sign up in thread to play!)

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

roytheone

This wouldn't have worked at all in Batman. Both Flux and Kark were under fire and active when they dropped out. If they suddenly went silent that would have been really weird and could have messed a lynch.

It will always be hard to replace someone when the game is a couple of days old, especially if you didn't follow it. I never really felt caught up in MGS and that game had less than 130 posts.
A nice way of holding onto notes (I used the PMs in Volcano Island as a faux thread for notes) could help if they exist. I think for replacements it can be good just to get in there and start playing. A momentary break can help, but I don't think it's really possible to fully "catch up" especially when you're reading everything in retrospect and missing the timing. Carpe diem so you can at the very least play in the present and don't be afraid of being a bit stupid in your questions.

Moderator's notes could be quite objective. Like page numbers where days start and end, who were lynched and killed in order, moderator announcements (like the day effects in God's or Sorian's vote, but in a shorter format), possibly some visualisation of where votes went and role claims.
For a replacement it is really hard to keep track of everything. In MGS I kept forgetting who died when by what. Day effects and role claims can be faked, but they're so obvious I don't see why a mod souldn't mention them unless no one or very few noticed them. The moderator never confirmed my haikus in NV, but they weren't a secret. Same with the chat bombs in LB which would be really hard to look up in retrospect. Fake claims that should be mentioned (as claims obv unless they have flipped) would be like CzarTim's one shot cop in DR.

Should a mod do this though? As a replacement, you can just ask in the thread: hey, what happened? and other players can help you out. Sure, there will be some degree of subjectivity in those responses, but things like "who died when" are check-able facts that players can't try to twist.

Should a mod do this though? As a replacement, you can just ask in the thread: hey, what happened? and other players can help you out. Sure, there will be some degree of subjectivity in those responses, but things like "who died when" are check-able facts that players can't try to twist.

With so many replacements in batman, there have been a few posts where people asked for summaries. Various players provided them. I thought everyone did a decent job of using fairly objective statements, regardless of player alignment.

And the other players are there to balance any factional bias, although if one side has players with less skill, stuff could slip through unchallenged.

I do think, if I needed to sub out, I'd want to leave a note for the sub regarding my choices on play style etc. Would it be allowed if I chose to do it? Up to the mod I guess? This is a pressure on the player who got busy, or stuck in a terrible position in game. So not everyone would provide notes even if requested.

Maybe a prioritization rating could help? People who have real life issues can have a pass, but if someone frequently can't play for weeks at a time, there could be shorter games to play in? My least favorite behavior is those who don't bother to play well because they're ordinary. I think people should self select into role madness games if that's an attitude changer.

I think there should be a time limit for replacements: Day 2 at the latest. Any time after that, anyone who needs to be replaced is mod-killed.

Ty4on

I think there should be a time limit for replacements: Day 2 at the latest. Any time after that, anyone who needs to be replaced is mod-killed.
The game wasn't very big, but I still had fun in MGS where I subbed in at N3/D4.
It could be a pain with some work flows, but the moderator already has a lot of the stuff needed. One could maybe add the flips and day starts/ends into a Google docs document as the game progresses and copy that to the replacement. Being an online document other co-mods could append it.

I went a bit overkill though with the role claims and votes. I'd just link to day end votes or make a snapshot of them. I totally agree that the replacement should ask a lot in the thread. Maybe we could be better at forwarding that so replacements aren't holding back questions.

roytheone

But what if those players are scum or a very important town pr? Do you buff scum/town to compensate for that? Or do you let the game be decided because of someone getting busy in RL and getting modkilled? That sucks for the people that DID put in a lot of time into the game and now lose because of that.

I somewhat agree, but then you run into issues where RL comes up, and now town is in LYLO (or they lose).

But what if those players are scum or a very important town pr? Do you buff scum/town to compensate for that? Or do you let the game be decided because of someone getting busy in RL and getting modkilled? That sucks for the people that DID put in a lot of time into the game and now lose because of that.

Mafia is unpredictable and random by its very nature. It's almost impossible to balance for every possibility. RL getting in the way is no different than missing the night deadline for submitting an action, accidentally quoting a PM or editing a post and then being modkilled, a last-second vote not going through because your Internet dies, etc.

At the end of the day, I think it should be up to the mod's discretion. Mid-game replacements are always unfortunate for everyone involved, but it's a game and stuff happens.

Palmer_v1

Modkilling should be an option cause we want to discourage it throughout the community, but we focus a lot on individual games instead. If people think they can drop from games without repercussion, they'll continue to take the easy way out.

roytheone

Modkilling should be an option cause we want to discourage it throughout the community, but we focus a lot on individual games instead. If people think they can drop from games without repercussion, they'll continue to take the easy way out.

True, I am not saying mod killing should never happen. In the end the mod created the game and knows best how the game is going and if a modkill would ruin it for the other players or not.

Palmer_v1

True, I am not saying mod killing should never happen. In the end the mod created the game and knows best how the game is going and if a modkill would ruin it for the other players or not.

Note that I have no idea what the status of any current games are in regards to replacements.

I'm positing that people(both mods and players) might need to be okay with sacrificing a game due to replacement issues, particularly if it will serve to discourage players from acting so flakey in the future.

but I'm also fairly intolerant of my time being wasted, so I'm likely on the extreme end.

Sorian

Banned
It seems better now, but the text server was being very laggy, and when I logged out to try logging back in, it didn't want to let me in for a while.

Seems better now, though.

Someone in my other discord channel last night was saying discord tried to deploy an update but had to roll it back because of issues. I know when I tried logging in last night it tried to update, failed, and then let me in anyway. No clue if that has to do with anything though lol

Ourobolus

Banned
Question: what's a good scum/town player balance, and what's a good number of players?

Take a look at this document I wrote - it covers a bunch you may want, including player counts and ratios.

So I know Crab has his guide that he gives out to the mods here and there, but I thought about putting together a bit more specific to GAFia, based on the lessons I've learned through my excellent storied slipshod career as moderator/mentor here.

This guide covers roles, balancing, priority of actions, win conditions, voting, replacements, and a few other things, and it's still being worked on, but for the most part it's got the main information in there.

I posted it in Discord, figured I'd throw a link here as well.

If you have any comments, feel free to post them here or PM me on GAF or Discord.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B9JHhb1KRkPpKomG89mqGoAR--dztEy2HsYNV69IlvA/edit?usp=sharing

RetroMG

Gafia 2 will be starting signups very soon. (Not yet, you animals!)

I'm waiting on final approval on the text for the invitations, and speaking with a local artist about some of the artistic choices, and once all of those are settled, we'll be ready to go!

Coppanuva

I'm waiting on final approval on the text for the invitations, and speaking with a local artist about some of the artistic choices, and once all of those are settled, we'll be ready to go!

Oh boy I am looking forward to watching this!

After Gafia 2, are we planning on another round of small games, or go into full on debrief and look forward to season 6?

basically I'm trying to figure out how much time I have to plan a Rick and Morty game.

Swamped

Banned

Thanks for making all the arrangements Retro <3

Are we going with a band or DJ? Or perhaps just some good ol' fashioned public lynching as entertainment?

RetroMG

Thanks for making all the arrangements Retro <3

Are we going with a band or DJ? Or perhaps just some good ol' fashioned public lynching as entertainment?

Band. The singer is apparently famous over in Europe, maybe Nin or Burb have heard of him. Gerhardt something?

squidyj

I really just want someone to get themself as a role.

Swamped

Banned
Band. The singer is apparently famous over in Europe, maybe Nin or Burb have heard of him. Gerhardt something?

Ooooooo

I hope I get to give the 46 hour toast!

v30ON1L.gif

But if any of you are in the Boston area late August, let me know! We'll be hosting a reception.

El Topo

Finally Batman and iZombie season is over for me. I'm still looking for someone to consult regarding my game, preferably someone that knows Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines. Not necessary though.
Also helpful if the person is fluent in Spanish. Don't ask. It totally makes sense.

Finally Batman and iZombie season is over for me. I'm still looking for someone to consult regarding my game, preferably someone that knows Vampire the Masquerate:Bloodlines. Not necessary though.
Also helpful if the person is fluent in Spanish. Don't ask. It totally makes sense.

Holy crap, forgot about iZombie!

Also, I neither know anything abut VtM:B or speak Spanish but if you want an opinion from somebody from the perspective of someone unfamiliar with the flavor, hit me up!

Top Bottom