• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Plays Mafia/Werewolf |OT5| Ma5ia Harder (Sign up in thread to play!)

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
There was a motion detector in Star Wars, Setre.

He proved instrumental in outing two of the scummies.

Unfortunately, I trusted Palmer 108% in that game. RIP me.

Palmer_v1

There was a motion detector in Star Wars, Setre.

He proved instrumental in outing two of the scummies.

Unfortunately, I trusted Palmer 108% in that game. RIP me.

HE WAS A TRACKER. We lynched him because he claimed to be a cop, a motion detector, and something else. Very confusing.

RetroMG

Here's a spreadsheet of the Gafia Twitter and Miitomo names so far. If you want your name added to the list, contact me or Bowlie.

g4iaAoE.png

PALMER

setre is motion detector, isnt he?

i mean his role pm does say you can watch but what he gets as results are just activities signifiers like "suspicious activities detected" or "no suspicious activities detected"

Kawl_USC

Matrix Mafia:

Number of players: 9
Set-up: See Mafia6 Link above, specific set up will be randomly selected and will not be revealed
Start Time: Whenever all 9 people respond to PM or respond in this thread
Day/Night Length: Leaning towards 48 hours/24 hours followed by a 72 hour/24 hour cycle so that a week is 2 complete cycles.

Player List:
1. SkyOdin
2. Ourorourourourourourobolous
3. Nin1000 (Currently in Burb's game)
4. Flame_AC
5. SalvaPot
6. SquidyJ
7. Terrabyte20xx (Currently in Burb's game)
8. StanleyPalmtree
9. Bronx Man

latest

Kawl_USC

All players have checked in, threads have been created, and role pms will be sent momentarily.

Edit: PMs are sent, the game is afoot.

El Topo

I've thought a lot about leaving the Batman game, but I feel it would be unfair at this point. Also I want to see what roy has in store if (when) I get killed.

Sorian

Banned
I've thought a lot about leaving the Batman game, but I feel it would be unfair at this point. Also I want to see what roy has in store if (when) I get killed.

I think Roy might cry if one more person leaves this game. Please don't break his heart again Topo lol

Sorian

Banned
What's usually the breaks between seasons of the main games?

After batman and gods end, we are going to put the finishing touches on potential season 6 games. Retro is going to run the gafia themed mid season game which will probably overlap a bit with the season 6 sign up and voting thread.

El Topo

I think we need to find some way to better ease players into the game if they join late. Maybe depending on the situation give them a one-time power? I think roy had the right idea, but it still allows <insert insult> to abuse the situation.

Sorian

Banned
I think we need to find some way to better ease players into the game if they join late. Maybe depending on the situation give them a one-time power?

lol no. Subbing sucks and we need people willing to do it but giving buffs just because someone decided to drop out is not a viable answer. A replacement is just that, a replacement. They can and should be judged on the person they came in for. Probably too game talky though, would be worth talking about this after.

Ourobolus

Banned
I think we need to find some way to better ease players into the game if they join late. Maybe depending on the situation give them a one-time power? I think roy had the right idea, but it still allows <insert insult> to abuse the situation.

No.

Here's my proposal.

First off, the player leaving PMs the Moderator, rather than posting it in the thread, that they are leaving.

If we have a ready replacement - go for it, sub them in quick.

If not, the announcement that they are leaving doesn't happen until the day is over. The replacement being announced doesn't happen until the day starts. The Moderator, during the night, gives the player access to whatever they need (if they are scum, masons, etc.) and they can participate there before the announcement.

Camjo-Z

No.

Here's my proposal.

First off, the player leaving PMs the Moderator, rather than posting it in the thread, that they are leaving.

If not, the announcement that they are leaving doesn't happen until the day is over. The replacement being announced doesn't happen until the day starts. The Moderator, during the night, gives the player access to whatever they need (if they are scum, masons, etc.) and they can participate there before the announcement.

This sounds like the most reasonable solution.

El Topo

No.

Here's my proposal.

I feel that this doesn't really address the issue (at all). It's one thing if you are mafia, as they have a chat and can help the player to get into the game, but it's a very different thing for players that are on their own.
As is, a player that has to join late into a game is in a very tough spot. I think roy's solution was a pretty good start actually. Maybe a short summary at the end of each day would be helpful for observers to keep better track?

Sorian

Banned
I feel that this doesn't really address the issue (at all). It's one thing if you are mafia, as they have a chat and can help the player to get into the game, but it's a very different thing for players that are on their own.
As is, a player that has to join late into a game is in a very tough spot. I think roy's solution was a pretty good start actually. Maybe a short summary at the end of each day would be helpful for observers to keep better track?

And who writs the short summary? The game runner knows more than we do and might emphasize important bits accidentally and a player is way too biased to do it.

El Topo

And who writs the short summary? The game runner knows more than we do and might emphasize important bits accidentally and a player is way too biased to do it.

We could always have whoever is lynched provide the summary? No one says it has to be an objective summary, nor is it a foolproof system, obviously. I'll probably try to test some things in the Gafia the Masquerade game. We'll see. Maybe they'll work, maybe they won't. Any game (and system) is only as good as its players.

Sophia

I think Ouro's got it right; sub in during the night phase ideally unless the replacement wants in sooner. Replacements already have an advantage by the fact that they'll notice things others won't.

The best thing the moderator can do is make sure their intro posts are up-to-date in regards to where each day begins and ends with links, and having final vote tallies. Giving them summaries or special powers would put them at an unfair advantage, or have them looking in the wrong spot.

Sorian

Banned
I think the disconnect is I don't think it's unfair if someone replaces into a shit situation. It sucks but it happens.

Sophia

I think the disconnect is I don't think it's unfair if someone replaces into a shit situation. It sucks but it happens.

It's going to be a moderator decision there too. Subbing someone into Day5 Lylo/Mylo or whatever is always going to suck; there's just no way around it.

Honestly, the only advantage I'd probably offer is extending the day or night phase accordingly so that the sub can have time to look at stuff. Changing the rules or the balance of the game doesn't seem like it's fair to other players tho. Same thing with a summery.

Oh god please yes.

I thought jumping into Batman would be easy but holy fuck its like way much more work jumping into a game than I anticipated.

El Topo

I think Ouro's got it right; sub in during the night phase ideally unless the replacement wants in sooner. Replacements already have an advantage by the fact that they'll notice things others won't.

I fail to see how Ouro's solution tackles the fundamental problem of people joining late and I don't see how a newcomer would see things others won't. A newcomer provides a new perspective, but they do not have an advantage. Now, whether a feasible solution to the problematic exists is a whole different question. One could very well argue that newcomers inevitably are in a tough spot. I don't disagree, but I'd like to find some ways to make these games more accessible for others (at GAF).

Giving them summaries or special powers would put them at an unfair advantage, or have them looking in the wrong spot.

I don't see how in-game summaries would give newcomers an advantage, nor do I understand how you can comment on the balance of a game (or whether newcomers get an "unfair advantage"), when I have literally provided zero information on planned approaches. I'm sorry, that was a bit aggressive. I really shouldn't be up this late.

Look, I'm not saying an easy solution exists. I have only gone through a handful of mafia games on other sites for inspiration. Plenty of games have all sorts of problems. Heck, I'm not even sure *if* a solution exists. I'm just saying it *can* be a problem occasionally and I'm trying to find a way to tackle it in a reasonable manner.

Sophia

I just know that, and this is a hypothetical situation as I have not read Batman, if a player was subbed in on a late day, I'd feel pretty cheated that I had to do all the work coming to my own conclusions and they got a free ride on the most important events. Likewise, the same with any potential powers or advantages given to them. On the other hand, giving them six or twelve extra hours during the night phase to look things over doesn't seem all that unfair, especially if a mod is keeping day starts and ends up to date.

There are always exceptions tho; Burb gave UltraJay the power of a double vote in Love Boat until he got a replacement. That felt acceptable to me, given the nature of the game.

Hmm... I'll try and think of ideas, but this definitely isn't an easy problem to solve that's for sure.

Ty4on

No.

Here's my proposal.

This wouldn't have worked at all in Batman. Both Flux and Kark were under fire and active when they dropped out. If they suddenly went silent that would have been really weird and could have messed a lynch.

It will always be hard to replace someone when the game is a couple of days old, especially if you didn't follow it. I never really felt caught up in MGS and that game had less than 130 posts.
A nice way of holding onto notes (I used the PMs in Volcano Island as a faux thread for notes) could help if they exist. I think for replacements it can be good just to get in there and start playing. A momentary break can help, but I don't think it's really possible to fully "catch up" especially when you're reading everything in retrospect and missing the timing. Carpe diem so you can at the very least play in the present and don't be afraid of being a bit stupid in your questions.

Moderator's notes could be quite objective. Like page numbers where days start and end, who were lynched and killed in order, moderator announcements (like the day effects in God's or Sorian's vote, but in a shorter format), possibly some visualisation of where votes went and role claims.
For a replacement it is really hard to keep track of everything. In MGS I kept forgetting who died when by what. Day effects and role claims can be faked, but they're so obvious I don't see why a mod souldn't mention them unless no one or very few noticed them. The moderator never confirmed my haikus in NV, but they weren't a secret. Same with the chat bombs in LB which would be really hard to look up in retrospect. Fake claims that should be mentioned (as claims obv unless they have flipped) would be like CzarTim's one shot cop in DR.

Palmer_v1

I'm in the camp that thinks being a replacement is going to suck sometimes. Depending on when it happens, you may have a lot to catch up on, and may be replacing into a scummy slot. A lot of communities I've seen incentivize it by giving players who have been replacements first shot at future games.

Why have we had so many drops?

Edit:

Oh, and maybe just fucking modkill people instead of replacing them?

I'm in the camp that thinks being a replacement is going to suck sometimes. Depending on when it happens, you may have a lot to catch up on, and may be replacing into a scummy slot. A lot of communities I've seen incentivize it by giving players who have been replacements first shot at future games.

Why have we had so many drops?
You are adults
You have real life sometimes

Ty4on

I wrote an example summary in the review thread. It's probably a little overkill, but shouldn't take that much time for the mod who has already posted a lot of it. Just getting the flips in order really helps.

Incentivizing could help. Then people have more of a reason to be on standby.

Top Bottom