• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Pokemon B&W Tournament 2

JVIDICAN

bQEcG.png

I think it's about time for another one. This tournament will be held in a similar style to the last, but the battles will be singles format. Aside from that, VGC 2012 rules (with an additional sleep clause in place), an optional branch for contestants that have been eliminated and 'possibly' a small prize for first place. :p

Previous Tournament:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423397

Rules:
  • This Tournament will be played over Wi-fi.
  • Each battle will consist of 3 Pokemon, with 1 Pokemon on the field at any given time (Singles Format)
  • Each battle will be played best of three.
  • Pokemon will be level 50. Those under level 50 will stay the same level, those above level 50 will be automatically lowered to 50 for the duration of the battle.
  • You must use the same 6 Pokemon for the duration of the tournament.
  • A player’s team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number
  • Each Pokémon on a player’s team can hold an item, though no two Pokémon may hold the same item
  • A player’s team cannot contain two Pokémon with the same nickname
  • A player’s team cannot contain a Pokémon nicknamed with the name of another Pokémon (for example, an Unfezant named “Pidove”)
  • Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:
o By leveling up
o By TM or HM
o As an Egg move, through breeding
o From a character in the game
o A move already known by a Pokémon received at an official Pokémon event or promotion​
  • Players may use Pokémon from the National Pokédex, from No. 001–646, that are caught in the game, transferred from a previous Pokémon title, or received at an official event or distribution
  • No more than one Pokémon on the opponents team may be inflicted with the Sleep status by a Sleep inflicting move.(spore, hypnosis, ect.) Those caused by the player him or herself(Rest), or by a Pokémons ability are exempt from this rule.
  • Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities that have been officially released via Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version, the Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or promotion.
  • Pokémon may not know the moves Sky Drop or Dark Void.
  • The Wonder Launcher cannot be used during battle.
  • Do NOT post your opponent's team or strategy in this thread once you're done with the match.

Bans:
The following Pokémon may not be on a player’s team:
o 150 – Mewtwo
o 151 – Mew
o 249 – Lugia
o 250 – Ho-Oh
o 251 – Celebi
o 382 – Kyogre
o 383 – Groudon
o 384 – Rayquaza
o 385 – Jirachi
o 386 – Deoxys
o 483 – Dialga
o 484 – Palkia
o 487 – Giratina
o 489 – Phione
o 490 – Manaphy
o 491 – Darkrai
o 492 – Shaymin
o 493 – Arceus
o 494 – Victini
o 643 – Reshiram
o 644 – Zekrom
o 646 – Kyurem

Errors
- If your press Run, by accident or on purpose, you forfeit the match.
- If there is a communication error, replay the match unless someone had a considerable lead as determined by the tournament host. If someone has a second communication error, we will assume the problem is likely with them and they will have to forfeit the second match that they have an error in.

Voice Chat
Keep Voice Chat OFF during your battles. This helps with the disconnection problems some people have and also keeps people from listening in on the other side to see if the opponent is switching or not (those buttons are loud).

Logistics
-This tournament will begin on October 17th, 2011 (subject to change).
-Contestants must register before October 10th, 2011.

Resources
Smogon Introduction to VGC 2011
Smogon VGC Forum
Smogon VGC Analyses Drafts
WishMKR - Competitive Pokemon site
SkarmBliss VGC Analyses
Veekun - Pokedex
Bulbapedia - General Pokemon Info

Current Entrants
balddemon- 5286 3570 7819 GMT -5
Hatchet Man- 4598 8783 9567 GMT -4
Wiseblade- 5071 3105 6820 GMT
Box of Bunnies- 1549 4825 2534 GMT+10
Andrex- 1764-2003-2436 GMT-5
Teknoman-0647 5085 5917
N4Us- 3825 8927 4558 GMT-7
Lone_Prodigy- 3310 4644 4109 - GMT-8
finalozzo - 3654 0471 3709 - GMT+1
Clemenx - 3482 3731 1700 - GMT -4.5
KirbyKid - 0733-4712-9689 - GMT -5
Dr. Hadji - 1420-6955-7201 - GMT -5
OMG Aero - 0303-8952-5471 - GMT +1
Please post saying you're entering with your friend code and time zone once you have that information.

Round 1: Complete!.

Round 2: Ends Friday November 11

7oblN.png

*Credit goes to Firestorm for the format and other resources in this post! :D

balddemon

Banned
I'm down. I'll edit my friend code in shortly...like in 3 minutes. CST timezone

Prepare to kick my butt...I've never been good at competitive pokemon, except on like Netbattle or w/e. Too lazy to raise my own 'mons haha.

EDIT: I have a couple friends who might be interested, can I enter them? Everything concerning them would go through me, unless they register of course.

EDITEDIT: 5286 3570 7819, Dylan

JVIDICAN

balddemon said:
I'm down. I'll edit my friend code in shortly...like in 3 minutes. CST timezone

Prepare to kick my butt...I've never been good at competitive pokemon, except on like Netbattle or w/e. Too lazy to raise my own 'mons haha.

EDIT: I have a couple friends who might be interested, can I enter them? Everything concerning them would go through me, unless they register of course.

EDITEDIT: 5286 3570 7819, Dylan
Added! :D

I'd prefer the entrants to be members, just because it's much easier to manage, but if there's a low number of entrants I may make an exception.

Count me in. Have only had a couple of sim battles so far for gen 5, this should be a good reason to dig my teeth in properly.

Time zone is GMT+10, I'll edit my friend code in when I get home and can check it.

FC: 1549 4825 2534

balddemon

Banned
Maybe you should've made it in the OT section? I get the feeling that the only people who click on the Community section are going to their dedicated megathreads.

JVIDICAN

balddemon said:
Maybe you should've made it in the OT section? I get the feeling that the only people who click on the Community section are going to their dedicated megathreads.
If I posted in OT the first page of this thread would be filled with "LOL wrong section" comments, and it would've been moved to Community within an hour. :p
I don't think Tourney threads are usually posted on the Gaming side either, so we're kinda stuck here. :/ I could probably PM the people who played in the last tourney.

Edit: You've been added Box of bunnies. :)

JVIDICAN

So there probably will be a trophy for this tourney. Don't expect anything expensive though. I'm a poor college kid. :p

Choice 1:
WKoKs.jpg

Choice 2:
UzXq3.jpg

Both would cost around $25 and any type of ball is available.

JVIDICAN

Teknoman said:
Just started training again earlier this month too. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem! :) Should I add you to the roster or are you still undecided?
Also, If you know anyone else that might be interested let them know too. Community's kind of... barren. lol.

Teknoman

JVIDICAN said:
No problem! :) Should I add you to the roster or are you still undecided?
Also, If you know anyone else that might be interested let them know too. Community's kind of... barren. lol.

What happened to the Black and White OT 3? I'm not undecided, but dont have access to my 3DS at the moment, so I cant post my info...but definitely entering in the tournament.

Even if I end up just being a stepping stone lol.

N4Us

Might as well enter. Even though I haven't done much battling in a few months this should be fun.

N4Us
3825 8927 4558 (PST)

JVIDICAN

Lone_Prodigy said:
Haven't played in a long time, but I do have a team of sorts. Sign me up.
Awesome! Let me know your friend code and timezone once you have it. :)
EDIT: Wait, is it still the same from the last tourney?

Merovin

I've been out of the loop a while, but if I can get a team together I'll join! Thanks for the pm by the way. ^_^

I don't think I will be able to participate in this tournament. :\ My DS is at my house but I'm currently at Uni so I would have to play through a proxy person (like through a webcam) which is a big hassle. I hopefully will be able to play in the next tournament, though.

I never even got a prize for winning the first tournament! :(

JVIDICAN

Fallen_Hero said:
I don't think I will be able to participate in this tournament. :\ My DS is at my house but I'm currently at Uni so I would have to play through a proxy person (like through a webcam) which is a big hassle. I hopefully will be able to play in the next tournament, though.

I never even got a prize for winning the first tournament! :(
The prize for the first tourney was knowing you had a capable VGC 2010 team! :D

Delio

Ugh i dunno if i can compete in this. I just dont havce a battle ready team right now. And i havent battled in ages.

balddemon

Banned
Delio said:
Ugh i dunno if i can compete in this. I just dont havce a battle ready team right now. And i havent battled in ages.

haha me either, unless i get some time, i'm going to use my ingame team. i mean, i got some good iv'd pokes, but i don't really want to level them lol

JVIDICAN said:
Awesome! Let me know your friend code and timezone once you have it. :)
EDIT: Wait, is it still the same from the last tourney?

Yep still the same.

Just realized it's singles when my team was customized for doubles. Oh well I can switch some moves around.

At least I can use my HGSS Pokemon.

Delio

balddemon said:
haha me either, unless i get some time, i'm going to use my ingame team. i mean, i got some good iv'd pokes, but i don't really want to level them lol

I have ev'd stuff in the wings i just dont have a solid lineup of six..

JVIDICAN

Let me know your FC and timezone once you have it Dr.Hadji. :)

Delio said:
I have ev'd stuff in the wings i just dont have a solid lineup of six..
Pfft.. Join the tourney! A singles team is allot easier to put together than a doubles team. At least in my opinion. :p

clemenx

Banned
I guess I'll join. I haven't played in a month or so but I have a few good Pokemon :)

Clemenx - 3482 3731 1700 - GMT -4.5

Dr.Hadji

My bro and I want to enter. We have separate games and 3DSs and everything.

I'll have my code soon.

Here's his:

KirbyKid: 0733-4712-9689 (He can battle during the week from about 6:30-10:30 central standard time).

Anyone want to practice? You can reach KirbyKid using the chat on the side of his blog here.

JVIDICAN

balddemon said:
shit this thing starts in 6 days
I could probably Delay the start by a week if needed. It would give people more time to join too. :D

Dr. Hadji is you brother a GAF member? There's nothing wrong if he isn't as far as i'm concerned but I'd like to make sure the other participants are okay with it first. I'm not sure how some would feel if the winner of a NeoGAF tourney wasn't even a NeoGAF member. :p

Dr.Hadji

JVIDICAN said:
Dr. Hadji is you brother a GAF member? There's nothing wrong if he isn't as far as i'm concerned but I'd like to make sure the other participants are okay with it first. I'm not sure how some would feel if the winner of a NeoGAF tourney wasn't even a NeoGAF member. :p

He doesn't have his own account. But he occasionally uses mine to reply in threads. We've both been reading GAF for years and years though. So he's as close as it gets to being a member.

JVIDICAN

Dr.Hadji said:
He doesn't have his own account. But he occasionally uses mine to reply in threads. We've both been reading GAF for years and years though. So he's as close as it gets to being a member.
Ah.. that seems acceptable enough. :)

Dr.Hadji

Dr. Hadji 1420-6955-7201 Central standard Time.

After reading the rules more carefully, is this tournament really 3 v 3 singles style... AND best out of 3 matches?

I'm not trying to change the rules necessarily, but did anyone already explain why we're not doing 6v6 singles style battles?

Wiseblade

My team is (pretty much) all set and ready to go!

Dr.Hadji said:
Dr. Hadji 1420-6955-7201 Central standard Time.

After reading the rules more carefully, is this tournament really 3 v 3 singles style... AND best out of 3 matches?

I'm not trying to change the rules necessarily, but did anyone already explain why we're not doing 6v6 singles style battles?
Because Black/White don't support autolevelling for 6v6 battles on Wi-Fi. You have to grind 6 Pokémon to lvl 100 and nobody wants to do that.

For this tournament you create a team of 6 Pokémon. When you go to battle your opponent, you'll see their 6 and choose three members of your team to battle, and vice versa.

Dr.Hadji

Wiseblade said:
My team is (pretty much) all set and ready to go!

Because Black/White don't support autolevelling for 6v6 battles on Wi-Fi. You have to grind 6 Pokémon to lvl 100 and nobody wants to do that.

For this tournament you create a team of 6 Pokémon. When you go to battle your opponent, you'll see their 6 and choose three members of your team to battle, and vice versa.

Frick. I forgot about how the options have changed between 4th and 5th gen. I only battle my friends over LAN where it levels all of our guys up/down to 50.

*sigh* These features make a big difference to how we play. Oh well.

Teknoman

Starts on the 17th right? Man I wish we could raise berries outside of Dream World. Might just have to fall back on my non-B/W teams since i'm sure there will be EV trained monsters here.

Friend code is: 0647 5085 5917

Top Bottom