• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

Holy shit I'm seeing Kendrick Lamar live and fucking Kamasi Washington was the opener.

Wasn't expecting that.

That music isn't my thing, but Kamsasi have gained a lot of coverage by the indie press alot in the last few months. I can imagine the live performance is one of the reason.

Linius

That music isn't my thing, but Kamsasi have gained a lot of coverage by the indie press alot in the last few months. I can imagine the live performance is one of the reason.

He made an incredible album and on top of that his live performances are really good. He's making jazz quite accessible with his music.

faridmon

Yeah, That Mitski track was around for few days and its sounds great. Can't what for the record although I really dislike the name of the album. Part 2? What?

He made an incredible album and on top of that his live performances are really good. He's making jazz quite accessible with his music.

Hmm might have to give him a listen then.

big ander

Yeah, That Mitski track was around for few days and its sounds great. Can't what for the record although I really dislike the name of the album. Part 2? What?
I think Puberty 2 is a good title, it's silly and self-effacing but also accurately encapsulates the themes of trying to grow into a mature 20-something and not always succeeding that are all over her music

Not as good as the Simpsons reference for the previous record though, that's for sure

Linius

Hmm might have to give him a listen then.

If jazz really isn't your thing this probably won't change much. But I'd recommend a listen for sure.

Fjordson

Kamasi Washington is great, but like Linius said his record is some jazzy ass jazz. 3 hours of it. If someone isn't into jazz it probably won't make them reconsider.

faridmon

Kamasi Washington is great, but like Linius said his record is some jazzy ass jazz. 3 hours of it. If someone isn't into jazz it probably won't make them reconsider.

Yeah, pass. I can't even handle more than an hour long records, let alone 3 hours of a genre I know shit all about..

hidys

I suspect a lot of the attendees at the concert weren't thrilled by Washington's performance since not everyone likes jazz.

I was fucking stocked though since I hadn't looked up who the opener was going to be and I loved The Epic.

Plus this was out in Melbourne, Australia so it seemed unlikely it would be someone like him.

faridmon

itshapening.gif

1463110_10156728463715444_6946526035150467341_n.jpg

OMG OMG OMG X1000

big ander

I'm surprised that Washington opening for Kendrick would be that much of a shock to concert goers. he was all over TPAB, which itself has a lot of jazz on it, so idk why the opener being a jazz musician would be baffling frankly

This upcoming LCD tour is going to be rough I think, I mean the band will probably be good but even when they do play a full tour outside of the 600 festivals they're headlining this year (but the reunion isn't about money remember) tickets are going to be hell to get. would rather just throw on the msg farewell concert lol

Pacbois

I'm surprised that Washington opening for Kendrick would be that much of a shock to concert goers. he was all over TPAB, which itself has a lot of jazz on it, so idk why the opener being a jazz musician would be baffling frankly

This upcoming LCD tour is going to be rough I think, I mean the band will probably be good but even when they do play a full tour outside of the 600 festivals they're headlining this year (but the reunion isn't about money remember) tickets are going to be hell to get. would rather just throw on the msg farewell concert lol

That's why I got tickets for the We Love Green despite not liking that festvial. Passes were still available and not too expensive. This way I'm sure to check them out on this tour with little hassle.

Futureman

I've always liked them, but lately I've been listening to the Black Lips non-stop.

All their records are great, but I think "Arabia Mountain" may be my favorite.

Alpende

I mean I'll give it a few listens and they'll inevitably play at one of the festivals I'm at this summer but I didn't rate their last record and their singles so far haven't caught my fancy.

Out of the singles released I dig Aviation the most. Sounds the most like their first record and I really liked that one.

I don't post in here very often (if at all) but I saw Savages last night at 9:30 club in DC. It was their first show of their US tour and they were fucking amazing. Just had to gush somewhere. Jehnny is an awesome performer.

Their opener was terrible though. Show wasn't sold out so I should've came a little later before the main act took the stage.

King_Moc

Banned
The Glastonbury lineup, so many bands/acts I wanna see

LCD Soundsystem, New Order, Sigur Ros, Foals, Last Shadow Puppets, Beck, PJ Harvey, M83, Savages, Explosions in the Sky, Hinds, Wolf Alice, Mercury Rev, Ezra Furman, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, St Ettienne and James all on my list. 17, not bad for only the first half of the announcement.

LCD Soundsystem, New Order, Sigur Ros, Foals, Last Shadow Puppets, Beck, PJ Harvey, M83, Savages, Explosions in the Sky, Hinds, Wolf Alice, Mercury Rev, Ezra Furman, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, St Ettienne and James all on my list. 17, not bad for only the first half of the announcement.

I have all them and Mac Demarco, Chvrches, Art Garfunkel and Savages. Still disappointed by the headliners, don't mind Muse and can get the appeal of Adele (She's a major scoop for the festival though not for me) but Coldplay is put a revolver to your head stuff.

King_Moc

Banned
I have all them and Mac Demarco, Chvrches, Art Garfunkel and Savages. Still disappointed by the headliners, don't mind Muse and can get the appeal of Adele (She's a major scoop for the festival though not for me) but Coldplay is put a revolver to your head stuff.

I like Mac Demarco but I really hated him live. He really put me off him. He was just annoying. Shame that. Might watch Art Garfunkel actually, but Paul Simon made me fall asleep when I saw him (I literally fell asleep).

The headliners don't matter at Glastonbury.

Apart from those times when it was Arcade Fire or Radiohead. Or Springsteen, for that matter.

Linius

Really like seeing Mac DeMarco live. He's just a crazy dude and his backing band is pretty great.

And indeed, a lot of good names on that Glastonbury poster. But that's not much of a surprise anymore. Outside of the headliners they always come up with proper stuff.

faridmon

Glastonbury will just get any name out there. that line-up is no surprise. I personally think the headliners are boring, or I have seen them before, but again, I am not the target audience.

I remember Glastonbury being really good 3 years ago when they had Parquey Courts, Eagulls, Hookworms, Peace and Franz Ferdinand one after the other in one of the tents.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Seeing Puscifer tonight. I've never seen MJK live and this is likely the only opportunity I'll have for a while, so I am looking forward to it.

thabiz

Can we talk about how excellent the new album from the Field is?

Because it totally works.

It sounds identical to the last record. I was really hoping for a change in beats and some growth, but I guess this is what they are going for.

Its good but I don't know how much more I can accept a band doing the exact same thing over and over again.

Top Bottom