• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Alpende

If I'm not mistaken Matt Helden the drummer from Arctic Monkeys performed them. Quite a little supergroup on the album with him, Iggy and Josh.

Yeah, he is the drummer. I've never listened to Iggy Pop but Josh Homme's, and in a smaller way Helder's involvement, made me listen to it and I really like it.

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member
I am freaking hyped about a new Parquet Courts. That '' Dust'' track is already my favourite track my them and that says it all.

Yeah all the singles have been solid, 'Berlin Got Blurry' is probably my favorite of the bunch. I think I'm going to pick up a ticket for their Pittsburgh show on the 17th today.

big ander

Who in for animal collective?
I liked it fine when it came out but haven't had any real urge to play it often since. When I'm in the mood for anco that normally means Sung Tongs or Feels or Campfire Songs
Pinegrove's album Cardinal is still my favorite release this year. I'm also really looking forward to the new Parquet Courts album in a couple weeks.
Won't even have to wait that long, only 8 days until it's out officially. (It also leaked over the weekend and is their best since Light Up Gold. "One Man, No City" is the new "Stoned and Starving")

Any other Filter fans in here? Is there like an official album ranking? My favorites seem to be Title of Record, Anthems For the Damned and The Amalgamut.

kalise

Neo Member
I liked it fine when it came out but haven't had any real urge to play it often since. When I'm in the mood for anco that normally means Sung Tongs or Feels or Campfire Songs

I haven't listened to painting with since it came out, I wasn't feeling it too much compared ot their other stuff. I stopped listening to them in general, I got so burnt out, pretty much my most listened too band from last year.
Spacemen 3 rn though, pretty cool

big ander

Anyone still listening to the Thermals? never got around to hearing Desperate Ground because the singles were boooooring but I got the new one, it's...absolutely a Thermals record. better than Personal Life at least, maybe close to the level of Fuckin A or Now We Can See.
I haven't listened to painting with since it came out, I wasn't feeling it too much compared ot their other stuff. I stopped listening to them in general, I got so burnt out, pretty much my most listened too band from last year.
Spacemen 3 rn though, pretty cool
Spacemen 3 are the greatest, Playing With Fire's a classic. think Spiritualized are supposed to be putting out a new record second half of this year. have also been meaning to listen to that drone record from a couple months back that J. Spaceman played on where artists performed alongside recordings of bees lol
Shocked how good the new Weezer album is. I didn't know they still had one of these in them

Think I like EWBAITE better but this one's still refreshingly good. "Good Thing" is some damn great widescreen pop.

Not that big a fan of the new Last Shadow Puppets. The only songs that come close to the highs of their first are Aviation and Pattern. I also like The Dream Synopsis because it reminds me of Suck it and See.

faridmon

Spaceman 3 and Spiritualized are GOAT bands. Love them so much. Too bad I missed Spiritualized live in the 100 or so festival they did last year.

Linius

Not that big a fan of the new Last Shadow Puppets. The only songs that come close to the highs of their first are Aviation and Pattern. I also like The Dream Synopsis because it reminds me of Suck it and See.

Love it a lot. I also think it helps not to compare this to their debut. Alex and Miles both changed a lot musically over the past 8 years. It was to be expected that it's not gonna be TAOTU pt 2.

faridmon

So that band was the one you were talking about at the meet up. Couldn't hear you well throughout.

You need to give Big Ups a listen. I haven't listened to the new record, but the first one is simply amazing.

Drahcir

Love it a lot. I also think it helps not to compare this to their debut. Alex and Miles both changed a lot musically over the past 8 years. It was to be expected that it's not gonna be TAOTU pt 2.

So, really, it's everything you've come to expect! :D

I'm also enjoying the album. The videos of them at the beach kind of gives me a Beach Boys vibe as well, especially the title track.

The atrocity for me, unfortunately so far, is the new Primal Scream album. :( I'm trying so hard to like it, which I rarely do with them.

chris121580

The new Operators album is every bit as good as I hoped. These guys can do no wrong. Would love to see them stick together but am also real excited about a new Wolf Parade album too

On the punk/noise/grunge rock front, 2016 albums from So Pitted and Big Ups are pretty fantastic!
CfNnkIIXEAE19y8.jpg

CfNnj7QWwAAifhV.jpg

Heron Oblivion is delish for psych rock lovers.
CfOA6B_WAAEzkUM.jpg

trebbble

On the punk/noise/grunge rock front, 2016 albums from So Pitted and Big Ups are pretty fantastic!
CfNnkIIXEAE19y8.jpg

CfNnj7QWwAAifhV.jpg

Thanks for this. Definitely copping that So Pitted LP... sounds like a mix of Melvins, A Frames and early era Nirvana.

The Big Ups song you linked sounded so much like a Slint song that I had to make sure it wasn't a long lost B-side or something :)

faridmon

I have been listening a lot to the new Savages album, and while I am enjoying it, I can't help but notice that its almost carbon copy of their first album. ''Evil'' sounds alot like ''Shut Up'', ''Sad'' sounds like a sequel to Husbands, and ''Adore Lif''e have the same structure as ''Marshal Dear''. I maybe exaggerating a bit (of course none of the tracks sounds identical) but I have this feeling of deja vu when I am listening to ''Adore Life''. Very safe album and it feels like they had a check box they checked every time they wrote a song.

I am still loving it though.

big ander

Thanks for this. Definitely copping that So Pitted LP... sounds like a mix of Melvins, A Frames and early era Nirvana.

The Big Ups song you linked sounded so much like a Slint song that I had to make sure it wasn't a long lost B-side or something :)
Big Ups first record is a lot less Slint-y, which I prefer. It's uptempo, as much hardcore as it is post-hardcore. That new one is still great though, it's not ALL Slint aping

everytime a new weezer album comes out people say "WEEZER IS BACK!" then i listen to the album and it has 1 or 2 good songs, and the rest is terrible.

i listened to a couple songs from the white album and they were pretty bad. ill check out the full album on spotify but im not expecting much

new iggy pop is fantastic though

I revise my opinion on the new Last Shadow Puppets record. It's very good, especially the first half. It's definitely not as immediate as their debut, but as Linius said, I shouldn't have expected a sequel to it (although releasing Bad Habits, the most upbeat song on the record, as the first single was a bit misleading). I've probably listened to it 3 times over now and I like it more each time.

The other artist I've been listening to a lot lately which I'm ashamed for not discovering earlier is Pond.

pond-man-it-feels-like-space-again-2.jpg

They're basically a more psychadelic, experimental Tame Impala but just as polished. The vocals and soundscapes also remind me of MGMT. Great stuff.

faridmon

Mogwai are currently doing webchat on the Guardian (its The Guardians version of ask me anything and people are usually mature during the whole thing.)

This is gold:

djshuggg asks: Will you ever (in all seriousness) do an acoustic album of your finer moments?

Dominic: We will never do an acoustic album, ever.

Stuart: It's a truly terrible idea.

D: I'm interested to know why people are asking this...

S: I own an acoustic guitar but I'm not going to play Mogwai songs on it in a studio. Just covers in Glasgow city centre for loose change.

And I agree. Fuck acoustic albums.

Let me know what you think!

Will do.

mvtn

Not sure whether this is the right thread, but I am in love with Sprained Ankle by Julien Baker. It's sad and melancholic, yet energetic and uplifting. One of my favorite singer/songwriter releases ever without a doubt!

Alpende

I've listened to the new Last Shadow Puppet's album twice now and I really really like it. Used To Be My Girl is amazing.

Not sure whether this is the right thread, but I am in love with Sprained Ankle by Julien Baker. It's sad and melancholic, yet energetic and uplifting. One of my favorite singer/songwriter releases ever without a doubt!

Yeah it's the right thread! Most of us loved her album when it came out in October and many of us had it on our top 10 lists. Seeing her at a festival this summer.

mvtn

Yeah it's the right thread! Most of us loved her album when it came out in October and many of us had it on our top 10 lists. Seeing her at a festival this summer.

Splendid! I would really like to see her live, but she isn't touring in Europe yet. However, she will play in Germany later this year and I might risk it and go there.

Any recommendations similar to this album?

Daeda

Splendid! I would really like to see her live, but she isn't touring in Europe yet. However, she will play in Germany later this year and I might risk it and go there.

She's playing the Best Kept Secret festival. Im sure there are more

Re recommendations, Sharon van Etten comes to mind. I also love the new Torres album. Theyre both a bit heavier in production though.

mvtn

She's playing the Best Kept Secret festival. Im sure there are more

Re recommendations, Sharon van Etten comes to mind. I also love the new Torres album. Theyre both a bit heavier in production though.

Yeah, I actually thought about going to Best Kept Secret festival, but without stable income I'd find it hard to pay for the plane tickets alone, sadly. Good roster though, are you going?

I have listened to Sharon van Etten about a year ago? 'Are We There' in particular. It was a good album with astonishingly good production.

Pacbois

I think her european run this spring is pretty decent now tho, I'm seeing her for free in Paris and i'm soooo happy.

mvtn

I think her european run this spring is pretty decent now tho, I'm seeing her for free in Paris and i'm soooo happy.

Good for you! I am from Slovakia so Vienna would be ideal in this case. And oh, for free? Are you a journalist or a photographer?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Painted Shut from Hop Along.

big ander

Yowler, Julie Byrne, Angel Olsen, some of Alex G's earlier albums like Trick, Waxahatchee, Songs: Ohia
Enjoying the new Teen Suicide record. It's long, but fairly consistent.
Waiting for my vinyl to get in to listen to it. One of those things where I'm excited but it's also odd in that like, nobody gave a shit about Julia Brown despite the fact that project basically is what Teen Suicide is now and what Sam wanted Teen Suicide to become (and the records under that name are way better than anything Teen Suicide's done), and now they're changing their name again and making it out to be a Viet Cong type thing all because a section of dumb tumblrers haven't seen Heathers. All seems so silly

Top Bottom