• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

Went back and started listening to last year's Peace album. Really good, while inferior to their debut. I think they are just being very anglicized and their music is becoming every British in sound. But they are still fun.

Generally speaking I do too. But for whatever reason I find it completely acceptable when Polica do it, but when others do I despise it.

Strange but true.

Yeah, I recognise how good they cane be and their instrumental work is great, but its an irrational thing of mine and I can't seem to shake it.

I was even told that they are really good live band as well.

Went back and started listening to last year's Peace album. Really good, while inferior to their debut. I think they are just being very anglicized and their music is becoming every British in sound. But they are still fun.

Agreed, their debut album is a fave of mine. Like many bands they got second album syndrome which is a shame but it's still decent.

faridmon

Agreed, their debut album is a fave of mine. Like many bands they got second album syndrome which is a shame but it's still decent.

*Fist bump*

Fucking loved the first record. It was one of the times I went in blind, so I never heard of their singles before, and listening to that album was just a delight.

Most people who didn't like that album say that their singles were over-played way before that record was finished, so I can understand that feeling. But going in blind, is a must for it to be enjoyable.

pieface

I used to drink with a few members of Peace before they got all famous and moved out of our area. Still see them occasionally when they come back. Never really liked their music though ha.

faridmon

I used to drink with a few members of Peace before they got all famous and moved out of our area. Still see them occasionally when they come back. Never really liked their music though ha.

lol

They look like the sort of dudes who just whine and act all entitled and all. Never been fan of their looks.

I guess we are just opposite lol

Met them in a nightclub about a year back, seem like cool guys (Well they did buy me a drink so that might have something to do with it).

King_Moc

Banned
I wasn't really feeling the new Diiv album at first, but i've listened to it a couple of times in the last two days and...wow! This is a brilliant album. Barring an absolutely stellar year, this will be in my top5 for the year.

Met them in a nightclub about a year back, seem like cool guys (Well they did buy me a drink so that might have something to do with it).

I hope they said "Peace out" when they left?

I wasn't really feeling the new Diiv album at first, but i've listened to it a couple of times in the last two days and...wow! This is a brilliant album. Barring an absolutely stellar year, this will be in my top5 for the year.

I hope they said "Peace out" when they left?

I can't remember, the combination of leaving with a lady friend and being pretty hammered makes that night a bit of a blur.

xiu xiu - falling (twin peaks cover)

large.gif

Can't wait to listen to the gems on this Jeff Buckley unreleased demos/covers album, especially finally a studio version of 'The Boy with a Thorn in his Side'.

Eagulls released a new track, Skipping. The songs they've released so far have a nice atmosphere. I'm glad the vocals aren't as harsh as their debut. Could get obnoxious at times.

Daeda

Eagulls released a new track, Skipping. The songs they've released so far have a nice atmosphere. I'm glad the vocals aren't as harsh as their debut. Could get obnoxious at times.

He already sounded like Robert Smith.. but this is almost uncanny. Regardless, another great song. Quickly becoming one of my most anticipated records of the year.

faridmon

Yeah, love the new changes so far, although I have to say, their new tracks didn't sound so hot when they playeyd them live at Best Kept Secret. I am seeing them live in May so I am curious how they carry over their amazingly loud tracks over to their newer ones.

Offered a ticket to Nos Alive today but if I go I can't go Glastonbury, all these decisions. So I made a pro's and cons list for both:

Glastonbury:
The festival itself, with over 100 stages and no other festival replicates its atmosphere
Two of my best friends are going, whereas for Nos Alive I'd have to find someone else to go with.
The festival is from Wednesday when campsites open to Monday so there's more days you'll be there
Not a fan of the headliners so far (like Muse but saw them last summer and Coldplay ugh) plus Adele is meant to be the final one which is so meh. But there's so many other acts on at the same time that this should be mitigated.
The weather, I can't remember the last time a Glastonbury didn't have at least one horrid day of lashing rain.

Nos Alive:
That lineup.... Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Pixies, Robert Plant, Wolf Alice, The 1975 (I know you guys aren't really fans but I loved their first album at least), Tame Impala, Foals, M83, Grimes, Courtney Barnett, Father John Misty all in 3 days is pretty sensational.
Guaranteed good weather, cause it's like Portugal in the summer
Though I'm too stingy to get a hotel so camping in 30+*C is not gonna be fun but at least there's a pool
There's only really two stages so it's much smaller overall layout
The venue is kinda a dusty field which isn't really appealing
Since flights are so expensive, there'd be a fair amount of travelling to and from (Likely fly to another city close by and get a train.

So tough to decide, I'm leaning towards Glastonbury atm.

pieface

I was the same. Then all the guitar hooks got to me and then I couldn't put the album down for about 3 weeks. Seeing Diiv on Thursday night, not seen them live before, hope they are good!

King_Moc

Banned
Offered a ticket to Nos Alive today but if I go I can't go Glastonbury, all these decisions. So I made a pro's and cons list for both:

Glastonbury:
The festival itself, with over 100 stages and no other festival replicates its atmosphere
Two of my best friends are going, whereas for Nos Alive I'd have to find someone else to go with.
The festival is from Wednesday when campsites open to Monday so there's more days you'll be there
Not a fan of the headliners so far (like Muse but saw them last summer and Coldplay ugh) plus Adele is meant to be the final one which is so meh. But there's so many other acts on at the same time that this should be mitigated.
The weather, I can't remember the last time a Glastonbury didn't have at least one horrid day of lashing rain.

Nos Alive:
That lineup.... Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Pixies, Robert Plant, Wolf Alice, The 1975 (I know you guys aren't really fans but I loved their first album at least), Tame Impala, Foals, M83, Grimes, Courtney Barnett, Father John Misty all in 3 days is pretty sensational.
Guaranteed good weather, cause it's like Portugal in the summer
Though I'm too stingy to get a hotel so camping in 30+*C is not gonna be fun but at least there's a pool
There's only really two stages so it's much smaller overall layout
The venue is kinda a dusty field which isn't really appealing
Since flights are so expensive, there'd be a fair amount of travelling to and from (Likely fly to another city close by and get a train.

So tough to decide, I'm leaning towards Glastonbury atm.

I'm going to both, but having been to Glastonbury 11 times before I have to say that even if Chesney Hawkes was headlining every night i'd still pick it over any festival in the world.

daripad

I just bought tickets for Radiohead in Mexico, but i don't even know if I'll be able to go :/

Are they great live? Do they still play The Bends stuff? I really wonder what's going to be their focus in this tour, as they haven't released an album this year.

big ander

I just bought tickets for Radiohead in Mexico, but i don't even know if I'll be able to go :/

Are they great live? Do they still play The Bends stuff? I really wonder what's going to be their focus in this tour, as they haven't released an album this year.
They will release their new record Dawn Chorus tho, they only haven't addressed the rumors because staying mysterious is better for their brand

Linius

They're great live. And I hope/expect that they'll play a bunch of new stuff. Last time the setlist was a lot of TKOL and a variety of their older stuff.

Check Setlist.fm when they start touring to see what they're playing on this tour so you can decide if you wanna go!

Reckoner

The new KVB record is fire.

I need to check it out.

Incredibly, their sound gets even more atmospheric and enticing live. It was great watching them last year.

Edit: Did you guys notice that The Last Shadow Puppets released two new videos in the last five days?

daripad

They will release their new record Dawn Chorus tho, they only haven't addressed the rumors because staying mysterious is better for their brand

They're great live. And I hope/expect that they'll play a bunch of new stuff. Last time the setlist was a lot of TKOL and a variety of their older stuff.

Oh cool. I didn't like TKOL that much, but maybe their songs are better live than in the album. I hope the new album is good, Specter was a great song.

Check Setlist.fm when they start touring to see what they're playing on this tour so you can decide if you wanna go!

Oh, thank you :) I do want to go, is just that I don't know if I'll be in my country when they come.

pieface

So I just discovered Fidlar after they were announced for Benicassim.

Love them! If you like the Black Lips then check these out!

faridmon

I was the same. Then all the guitar hooks got to me and then I couldn't put the album down for about 3 weeks. Seeing Diiv on Thursday night, not seen them live before, hope they are good!

At the institute right?

I am thinking of going, since the tickets are still available, don't know if I am gonna go since there like 5 gigs I am interested during the rest of this month.

Also TRAAMS is playing at the same time so, decisions decisions.

The new KVB record is fire.

I don't know, its just too ambient for me. I need their oomph they had before.

Futureman

I'm realllllly liking the new La Sera. "High Notes," "I Need an Angel," and "Nineties" are standouts to me.

Also loving the Desaparecidos record from last year.

big ander

Cullen Omori's solo debut is pretty decent. Little cleaner and shinier than Soft Will but otherwise very much in the same ballpark--basically Smith Westerns minus Kakacek. when there are guitars they don't have the same punch and I miss it. I like Kakacek's band Whitney with the UMO guy slightly better based off their singles but who knows if they'll come thru on an album

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm realllllly liking the new La Sera. "High Notes," "I Need an Angel," and "Nineties" are standouts to me.
It's okay, but I really miss the punk aesthetic of her old records. This new one has no balls.

jumper

Also loving the Desaparecidos record from last year.

Yeah, its good, though a couple of tracks are throwaways for me, including Nineties (probably because I'd prefer she sang on all songs).

And I don't mind that they did away with the punk/distortion for one record. Songs like 'Love that's gone' and 'hour of the dawn' are some of my favorites.

big ander

New EP from NWI punk band Liquids 'Blindin' Flash is fantastic
Couple excellent originals (I love the 39 second "Head Meat" most), a song called "I Killed Donald Trump," a 90 second cover of Floyd's "Time" and a Rocky Horror cover for good measure. well worth 8 minutes of anyone's time

Top Bottom