• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Saw Bo Ningen opening for Savages last night and holy shit, they stole the show.
They came back at the end of the gig to play fuckers with savages, and it was awesome.

Go see them if they happen to tour near you.

KEXP Session

Xun

I know, unfortunately I was waiting on my friends to get their act together.

Just researching other routes, so hopefully I'll be able to find something decent. :/
Hopefully we'll be booking it tomorrow.

I feel so on the edge at the moment because of it! I need to go...

faridmon

Saw Bo Ningen opening for Savages last night and holy shit, they stole the show.
They came back at the end of the gig to play fuckers with savages, and it was awesome.

KEXP Session

Yeah, they are so good that I had seen them 4 times live and each time,they just blow my mind.

They are one of the best live bands I have ever seen.

King_Moc

Banned

KEXP Session

I've seen them a couple of times, and saw them supporting Savages in Cambridge a few days back. They really are fantastic live. I like that no one appears to have told them they're the support band. It was full volume with a massive rock and roll finish. Loved it.

Anyone listen to the 1975's new album? Few decent tracks. Expect a lot to get regular airplay over the next few months though that'll probably make me hate it.

I liked their first album a lot, so I'm thinking of getting the new one. But the previews they posted on Youtube don't sound as good as the first album. I guess you can't tell that much from 50 seconds of a song though.

thabiz

What makes you say that? I like their sound.

It's run of the mill pop rock with a bunch of dudes that look like they came from the factory.

The new record is one of the most unoriginal records thats come off the assembly line in some time. It seems like the band solely exists to grace the cover of teen beat magazine.

But that's just my opinion.

Kaladin

April 15th :)

sturgill-simpson-a-sailors-guide-to-earth-002.jpg

Welcome to Earth (Pollywog)
Breakers Roar
Keep It Between the Lines
Sea Stories
In Bloom
Brace for Impact (Live a Little)
All Around You
Oh Sarah
Call to Arms

And yes, that is a cover of Nirvana's In Bloom you see.

Pacbois

Sweet. Both have incredible scenes. I'm in Toronto myself.

Sadly I'm going during kind of a good show drought in both cities :( (Maybe due to SXSW cannibalising shows in NA during that time ?) I dropped by the Toronto GAF thread to maybe get a small meet-up while I'll be there.

big ander

Sheer Mag get better with each one of these 7"s

went into the new Big Ups expecting something as immediate as the first record and came away nonplussed, but I wanna try listening to it knowing it'll be slower. still pretty good no matter what.

So I've started listening to Eddi Front about a year ago, after coming across a slightly slowed-version of her song "Gigantic" on Bonodo's Late Night Tales album about 3 years ago.

Anyway, her new album "Marina" came out this week, and I think my favorite song from it so far would be "Prayer". I recommend this to anyone who likes Mazzy Star.

Anybody hear the new Coral album, The Distance Inbetween?

t294102309-i1056840235_s400.jpg

I've just started listening to it on Spotify and it's pretty solid. I feel Coral dropped off the radar after their debut but they've stayed amazingly consistent through all their albums.

The single "Miss Fortune" is great. The intro kinda reminds me of The Wake.

EDIT: Don't see any discussion about the new Suede album, Night Thoughts here. It's a much better showing than Bloodsports.

Linius

Just noticed the new Big Ups record is up on Tidal, hopefully it's as good as their previous one.

And the Best Kept Secret festival I'm going to added Air and Minor Victories (and more) to their line-up. Good stuff, really interested in that Minor Victories project. Slowdive, Mogwai and Editors members in one band are ingredients for success.

King_Moc

Banned
And the Best Kept Secret festival I'm going to added Air and Minor Victories (and more) to their line-up. Good stuff, really interested in that Minor Victories project. Slowdive, Mogwai and Editors members in one band are ingredients for success.

Given how good a live sound all three of those bands have, it has the potential to be very good indeed.

thabiz

Editors have gotten worse with every release after the debut. The latest is atrocious.

Have basically taken the exact same path as bloc party. With pretty much the same results.

King_Moc

Banned
There's one song out there at the moment, which I'm digging quite alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oz6nzPSZLg

Yeah, it's a good song, this.

Editors have gotten worse with every release after the debut. The latest is atrocious.

Have basically taken the exact same path as bloc party. With pretty much the same results.

Oh yeah, they're shit now, definitely. They went downhill straight after the debut. And even that was only OK.

Linius

Oh that's certainly true. They were great for the first two records but lost the plot afterwards sadly.

faridmon

The first Editors album is genuinely in my top 5 favourite album ever.

Sadly, they have been shite since then.

Speaking of which, I met a girl who allegedly says that she is the girlfriend's of Tom Smith. Don't believe her because she is totally nuts.

faridmon

The new Pinkshinyultrablast album is pretty good on first listen. Have to listen to it more to see whether I prefer it to the debut or not.

Also, I don't know if anyone here listen to Japanese music, or take Jeff Gerstmenn's recommendation on music, but Charsima.com's new record is pretty shit.They really need stop releasing something every 10 months or so.

I'm loving the new Polica album.

Really hate the vocals with this band.
I have some irrational dislike for that kind of vocal manipulation.

pieface

Really hate the vocals with this band.
I have some irrational dislike for that kind of vocal manipulation.

Generally speaking I do too. But for whatever reason I find it completely acceptable when Polica do it, but when others do I despise it.

Strange but true.

Top Bottom