• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Pacbois

Good for you! I am from Slovakia so Vienna would be ideal in this case. And oh, for free? Are you a journalist or a photographer?

The show is free !! She's playing a venue that only does free shows and it's put up by a large booking agency it's fine. Will probaby grab some merch for support though.

Yeah I admit I haven't thought much about more eastern european countries and it must be hard seeing good shows there.

faridmon

Yeah, I actually thought about going to Best Kept Secret festival, but without stable income I'd find it hard to pay for the plane tickets alone, sadly. Good roster though, are you going?

Two of us are going to that very festival. Join us!

mvtn

Yowler, Julie Byrne, Angel Olsen, some of Alex G's earlier albums like Trick, Waxahatchee, Songs: Ohia

Thanks! I was looking for Julie Byrne for some time, amazing pickings.

The show is free !! She's playing a venue that only does free shows and it's put up by a large booking agency it's fine. Will probaby grab some merch for support though.

Yeah I admit I haven't thought much about more eastern european countries and it must be hard seeing good shows there.

It actually isn't that bad when it comes to other genres (especially electronic music is widely appreciated in the capital).

Go for some merchandise for sure, it is one of my weaknesses as I often end up with at least one t-shirt after a gig, not to mention bigger festival, so choose carefully, haha.

Two of us are going to that very festival. Join us!

Tempting. Where from? I was thinking about applying for press accreditation, I shall see.

mvtn

Linius lives in Netherlands ( The lucky bastard) While I am coming from UK. Last year was fun, but it had better line-up.

I will keep that in mind. It depends on whether our accreditation will be approved or not, thanks for your offer!

Linius

So far BKS is on track nicely I have to say.

Friday: Beck, Beach House, Minor Victories, Wolf Parade, Beach Slang.
Saturdays: Air, Caribou, Dinosaur Jr, Destroyer, Low, Julien Baker, Ulrika Spacek.
Sunday: Jamie xx, Wilco, Explosions in the Sky, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, BADBADNOTGOOD, Fat White Family.

The stuff I wanna see per day. Haven't really looked into acts I'm not that familiar with. And more names to come. Really hoping they will add Lush. Their june schedule is pretty much empty and they don't have a gig around here yet. Would be a nice follow up to Slowdive (2014) and Ride (2015).

Linius

So far I've been the full weekend every year. Great line-ups all around. Lovely festival site and great food too. When they announced these early bird tickets at the festival last year I didn't hesitate to get one.

Also still kinda considering Down the Rabbit Hole.

Pacbois

So far only going to We Love Green in Paris because they have LCD Soundsystem and PJ Harvey for "cheap" but man I hate that festival's gimmick and the rest of the line-up is meh to me.

pieface

Not sure whether this is the right thread, but I am in love with Sprained Ankle by Julien Baker. It's sad and melancholic, yet energetic and uplifting. One of my favorite singer/songwriter releases ever without a doubt!

Gave this a listen yesterday and loved it. Rejoice is a belter.

faridmon

Really digging the new September girls record. Glad they are stepping away from the dum dum girls / LA sound.

Yea its really good. Surprised that I am enjoying it despite its being a bit different. I really loved their first (I haven't listened to Dum Dum Girls so I have no reference point)

Sad I am gonna miss their live gig because they are playing the same night as Chastity Belt. They supported a Place to Bury Strangers last year and they were really Good.

King_Moc

Banned
So that band was the one you were talking about at the meet up. Couldn't hear you well throughout.

You need to give Big Ups a listen. I haven't listened to the new record, but the first one is simply amazing.

I tried the Big Ups album, but it sounded (as mentioned a lot) a bit like Slint. Unfortunately, I never really managed to grasp Slint. Not my cup of tea I guess.

Really digging the new September girls record. Glad they are stepping away from the dum dum girls / LA sound.

I'd been looking forward to this one. It's not disappointed me after the first listen. And yes, quite different to the first album.

Steamlord

For what it's worth, it took me like four or five listens, at least a couple of months apart each, for Spiderland to finally "click." And boy did it click hard.

Pacbois

For what it's worth, it took me like four or five listens, at least a couple of months apart each, for Spiderland to finally "click." And boy did it click hard.

Man i still need to listen to it more. I'm way more into Unwound's Leaves Turn Inside You as an album of a similar genre

Steamlord

I love Leaves. I feel like it and Spiderland are pretty different beasts, though. Leaves is fairly indulgent, in a good way, while Spiderland is thoroughly minimalist. Really depends on what you're in the mood for, I suppose.

big ander

They definitely work a similar way though, in that it took me 3-4 listens of Leaves to be like "oh wait yeah this is awesome." only song I adored on first listen, Demons Sing Love Songs, has stayed my favorite though.

Also while I like Spiderland plenty every time I replay it I also end up going back to Tweez and...I think it's a better record. "Carol" is the best thing Slint ever did

faridmon

I tried the Big Ups album, but it sounded (as mentioned a lot) a bit like Slint. Unfortunately, I never really managed to grasp Slint. Not my cup of tea I guess.

Their first one is quite different to their newer one, since its much more aggressive. Give that one a chance.

If you're hesitant about seeing Animal Collective live on this tour, just go for it.

I saw tem two nights ago in Paris and they were strong as hell. The drummer from Slasher Flicks gives a whole new energy to the band (reminds me of Zach Hill).
People were dancing from beginning to the end, which is quiet unusual for an Animal Collective Gig.

Fjordson

New Frankie Cosmos is splendid. No one's mentioned it in here because you're all afraid to like something Pitchfork likes.
I've been meaning to listen to it.

Honestly, BNM gives plenty of good recommendations for rock/pop imo. I find their hip-hop reviews to be off for me personally, but otherwise they shine a light on some good stuff.

Steamlord

Oh hey, there's a new Eleanor Friedberger solo album and it's great of course. I love her solo stuff, but seriously, WHEN ARE SHE AND MATTHEW GOING TO COLLABORATE AGAIN? I need more Fiery Furnaces in my life you guys

Been listening to Nothing's new album last week.

I'm just going to pretend that Nick Bassett isn't with the band any more.

Nick Bassett is a prick but he makes some pretty damn good music. Although Whirr has been going downhill over the last couple of years, which is tragic because Distressor and to a slightly lesser extent Pipe Dreams are fucking classics. I loved last year's Camera Shy LP with Lexy Morte though.

Edit: Man that Guerilla Toss LP is fucking great

Pacbois

1TDoU1d.png

lol

big ander

Edit: Man that Guerilla Toss LP is fucking great
it is fucking great, right? I really thought it'd be their full-on breakthrough, bummed it's been received pretty evenly.
this primal scream & jason pierce RSD track is great

too bad the recent primal scream album wasn't nearly this good

Real good track, sounds like Let It Come Down era Spiritualized. I don't really know Primal Scream at all though, have had Screamadelica on the list for a while

Vard

Real good track, sounds like Let It Come Down era Spiritualized. I don't really know Primal Scream at all though, have had Screamadelica on the list for a while

Screamadelica is phenomenal but a mild warning that it needs to click with you first. I heard it years ago and just didn't get into it then. I heard their earlier song "Velocity Girl" like 50 times over 5+ years before I finally went back to Screamadelica last year, but when I did it clicked and became my most-listened to album of 2015.

Catvoca

Banned
Anyone listen to The Last Shadow Puppets new record? It's only alright. I liked their last album but this one sounds like a bad Miles Kane album in parts of it, and Alex Turner does very little to elevate it. The subject matter is kinda lame too, it's just them talking about women in the most surface level way, sorta like AM I guess but it comes across pretty desperate here IMO. The first 3 or so tracks are good though, the album starts strong, I'll give it that.

Alpende

Anyone listen to The Last Shadow Puppets new record? It's only alright. I liked their last album but this one sounds like a bad Miles Kane album in parts of it, and Alex Turner does very little to elevate it. The subject matter is kinda lame too, it's just them talking about women in the most surface level way, sorta like AM I guess but it comes across pretty desperate here IMO. The first 3 or so tracks are good though, the album starts strong, I'll give it that.

I really like it, it grew on me a lot after a few listens. I just love the strings on it, plus Used To Be My Girl and She Does The Woods are pretty great.

King_Moc

Banned

Screamadelica is good, but it's very dated. Their trio of albums from 1997 to 2003 is their best work imo (Vanishing Point, XTRMNTR, Evil Heat). With Vanishing Point being my favourite by them. Mani joining the band seemed to give them a real kick up the arse, so to speak.

Steamlord

I somehow missed WALL when they hit the scene last year. Their EP is some really solid noisy straight-outta-1980 post-punk. Their LP should be out this year by the sound of it, and based on what they've said about it I'm pretty hyped.

Also this clearly Suburban Lawns-inspired photo gives them like a million bonus points in my book.

I somehow missed WALL when they hit the scene last year. Their EP is some really solid noisy straight-outta-1980 post-punk. Their LP should be out this year by the sound of it, and based on what they've said about it I'm pretty hyped.

Also this clearly Suburban Lawns-inspired photo gives them like a million bonus points in my book.

This is rad

Top Bottom