• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I somehow missed WALL when they hit the scene last year. Their EP is some really solid noisy straight-outta-1980 post-punk. Their LP should be out this year by the sound of it, and based on what they've said about it I'm pretty hyped.

Also this clearly Suburban Lawns-inspired photo gives them like a million bonus points in my book.

I was about to ask if anyone had any recent post-punk suggestions, this is a good start.

faridmon

Yeah, Wall have been covered a lot in DIY Mag and the singles the have released have been amazing so far. Didn't know their EP was out and I am sure gonna grab that.

faridmon

Wow, this is fantastic. I guess somewhat related, where can I find the Suburban Lawns album? I checked them out on Youtube and I love their sound (and the fact that they're from Long Beach) but they're not on Spotify or Google Play.

They re-issued their album last year (SUBURBAN LAWNS + the EP) and it was sort of big deal, because the label that re-issued was the very same label who released that album in 81. Apparently they don't do Digital (hence the album not being on either Itunes or Amazon Mp3 ) Heck, The Unit's ''Digital Stimulation'' is not Itunes either despite the remix album being there (The remix album was issued by another label)

So basically you have to buy it physical.

But the packaging is BEAUTIFUL!

Suburban-Lawns_Releases-ST-CD-Image.png

Steamlord

Yeah, I nabbed that Suburban Lawns reissue recently. Such an underrated album. They're one of my "shill at every opportunity" bands. Su Tissue's solo album Salon de Musique is really good too, albeit completely different from Lawns. It's more like Steve Reich than anything else.

big ander

Bandcamp blog pointed me to this debutcassette from Flasher, a DC band with a member of PRIESTS in it. was sold with the promise of the first song sounding like Total Control

Catvoca

Banned
Any Guided By Voices fans in Rockgaf? Their new album, the first in like 3 years, Please be Honest is out and it's alright. The last few Robert Pollard solo albums have been solid, he's been pretty consistent lately, but it's good to have him back releasing GBV albums.

King_Moc

Banned
Any Guided By Voices fans in Rockgaf? Their new album, the first in like 3 years, Please be Honest is out and it's alright. The last few Robert Pollard solo albums have been solid, he's been pretty consistent lately, but it's good to have him back releasing GBV albums.

Not heard the new one yet, but I love GBV! Will give it a go tomorrow.

faridmon

Anyone notice that Viet Cong changed their name? They're now Preoccupations, if their Spotify page is anything to go off of.

Yeah and announced bunch of dates.

Don't like their new name but whatever, apparently their new record is almost finished.

Didn't know it had happened already, but they posted about changing it a little while ago to avoid upsetting anyone.

Lol they upset everyone once the announced they were going to change it anyways. Why they had to buckle to the pressure is something I will never know, especially considering the genre and the fact that bands such as Gang of Four, Mission of Burma and Au Pairs have had controversial political names or/and had a lyrics about politics and other controversial stuff.

Damn the new Autolux is solid

I didnt think much of it at first listen but im really into it now. Definitely their weirdest album. But i absolutely love Hamster Suite, Junk for Code, Soft Scene, Brainwasher and a few others. Its definitely a grower of an album.

big ander

Mermaidens - Undergrowth

Really good dark groovy psych rock stuff. RIYL Warpaint, Esben and the Witch
Good looks, checked the video for "Under the Mountain II" and liked it a lot. Part 2min in where the guitars just become feedback and the drums come up in the mix, whew. Cool animation too, same goes for the album art. Hopefully this record can scratch the dark-ish psych itch that Sunflower Bear debut I was hyped for failed to reach

faridmon

Just bought my tickets to Handmade festival which is on this weekends. Great Line-up yes again. Last year was so much fun, and this year I am attending there for all 3 days!

Slider-copy.jpg

Excited to see:

Kagoule, The Magic Gang, Big Deal, Black Honey, Pretty Vicious, Charlotte Carpenter, She makes War, Beans on Toast,Hannah Lou Clark, Theo Varney, Swim Deep, 65daysofstatic, Three Trapped Tigers, Her Name is Cella, Oscar, The Excerts and Sophia Marshalls.

overcast

So, in August I'm seeing Radiohead and Sufjan Stevens in back to back days. That's about as perfect a double header as it can get. I was worried I wouldn't get to see Sufjan because I missed his tour last year and didn't get tickets for Coachella or Outsidelands.

Later in the month is FYF too, goddamn.

Pacbois

What music sites do you guys typically use? I've pretty much exhausted all my artists and don't really know where to look next.

For music blogs : Pitchfork, Stereogum, Consequence of Sound

If you are a spotify user the Discover Weekly playlist is pretty good for finding new stuff.

big ander

What music sites do you guys typically use? I've pretty much exhausted all my artists and don't really know where to look next.

As Pacbois said a lot of sites are still decent. plenty of posts are just repackaged press releases, but when the writer is actually interested in what they're posting you can tell. pitchfork, cos, stereogum, spin, noisey. also more personal bloggy stuff like needle drop—even not agreeing with his opinion most of the time, when he's really excited about a record that usually means it's worth one listen. More than that I tend to look for what music the bands I already like are sharing or what side projects members of the band have. Ideally they'll be sharing side projects that're similar but distinct, or repping their hometown scene, or recommending old records that inspired them.

Social music sites can be helpful—not last.fm as much cause that site's similar artists and tags functions are garbage, but like seeing a rateyourmusic user list that has a bunch of my favorite records and a handful I don't recognize is always a decent place to start looking into bands. Same goes for collages on sites like whatcd

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Given the sea of review sites and blogs there are, I kind of feel like Allmusic is the stalwart that often gets overlooked. They've got the usual features, album stream premieres, and release aggregation, but it's the straightforward reviews (less opinion piece than legitimately useful blends of info, bio, and history) and connective strands between artists or albums that I get the most out of. Granted, I'm rarely looking for anything current, but as far as past decades go, I can pull up pretty much anything that I'm into at the moment and get plenty of spot-on suggestions for others in the same vein.

I do wish they had an app or mobile version of the site, but that's a minor complaint. I've always got it pulled up on my phone when at the record store because it's the simplest, most reliable way for me to blindly pick stuff and be pretty confident an itch will be scratched.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Besides being an absolutely infectious blast of springtime rockin' out, I thoroughly appreciate how this new King Gizzard album so literally embodies its title, Nonagon Infinity, by being nine continuous tracks that can loop seamlessly from start to finish and start again.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I basically rely on this thread for new stuff. Every once in a while I'll find something good in Google Music through their related artists, but it's hit and miss.

I also check out things like KEXP on Youtube too.

I basically rely on this thread for new stuff. Every once in a while I'll find something good in Google Music through their related artists, but it's hit and miss.

I also check out things like KEXP on Youtube too.

yeah, I like checking out the live performances on KEXP.

I was kinda hoping for something smaller and more specialized towards certain genres, like user blogs. I really like this one guy's reviews on The Escapist forums. I think music is the type of media that doesn't really need a super eloquent review to get me to start listening, just a general idea of what to expect.

thefro

The Greasy Slicks - Eyes Wide Black

Pretty kickass song with a Royal Blood/blues rock sound.

I'm leaning towards the curated stuff these days since my taste is eclectic.

http://music.britishcouncil.org/the-selector/selector-shows (great online radio show featuring new British music)

https://www.mixcloud.com/bestivalfm/ (Rob da Bank's online show who did Forza Horizon's soundtrack)

KEXP Song of the Day is good. Probably need to find a show to listen to from that station.

I listen to All Songs Considered as part of my drive to work, but what they play usually doesn't match my taste. Some of the Tiny Desk Concerts are cool though.

Top Bottom