• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Wolf Alice put out their deluxe edition of 'My Love is Cool' on Spotify and I didn't even realise. 5 or 6 new songs not on their previous EP's on it.

Also this is cool, leaving the album sleeve of 'Blackstar' in the sun turns it into a galaxy of stars

DWfh36Jl.jpg

big ander

Rumours of a Talking Heads reunion tour and new album. http://louderthanwar.com/talking-heads-reform/

The main source on that is a satire site looks like\

Also I don't think I'd even want this. They're old and wouldn't perform as well. plus the more I've read about the band over the years the more I'm convinced Chris and Tina are just moneyhungry assholes. like how they tried to kick Byrne out of the band for Adrian Belew then refused to give Belew any credit or money for making Tom Tom Club good. not to mention No Talking Just Head. David probably has never spearheaded a reunion because he doesn't want to spend time around them

Steamlord

I didn't even realize Deakin had finally released his solo album. And I'm pretty sure I like it more than the last two AnCo albums. How 'bout that.

Edit: The new White Lung is nice but it sounds as much like Ume as the new Big Ups sounds like Slint

faridmon

I am planning to do a brief write up on Handmade Festival but the briefest version of that are, that it was an amazing experience filled with great performance, awesome discoveries, and overall a happy atmosphere. Will be there again next year!

The new White Lung album is so good. Below is a jam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiK57jROcT8

Good to know. I am actually excited to hear that album and see them live in about a month time.

Didn't realise this is their 4th album. Damn, can't believe they are this prolific.

Sobriquet

Dead

well not really...yet
Thats such an obscure reference for 2016, but that Local H album is amazing. Will check out your friends band!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Thats such an obscure reference for 2016, but that Local H album is amazing.

They're playing the whole album as part of an anniversary tour at the moment, so not that obscure... as far as "bands no one has thought about in 20 years" goes at least, heh.

Sobriquet

Thats such an obscure reference for 2016, but that Local H album is amazing. Will check out your friends band!

Thanks for giving it a listen! It kinda bums me out that a consistently good band like Local H has fallen by the wayside.

They're playing the whole album as part of an anniversary tour at the moment, so not that obscure... as far as "bands no one has thought about in 20 years" goes at least, heh.
Ha, didn't realize that.

I've gotten super into TV on the Radio over the last few days. Found them, like more than a few I'm sure, through the inclusion of DLZ on the S2 episode of Breaking Bad. Now most of the time when I get into a new band I crawl through one album at a time but the brief sampling of their stuff I've gotten has been so consistently great across albums that I'm torn on which to buy first. Some favorites:

Wolf Like Me

Lazerray - literally had this one stuck in my head for like 3 days straight

Golden Age

Second Song

Happy Idiot

Family Tree

And of course the aforementioned DLZ

I've gotten super into TV on the Radio over the last few days. Found them, like more than a few I'm sure, through the inclusion of DLZ on the S2 episode of Breaking Bad. Now most of the time when I get into a new band I crawl through one album at a time but the brief sampling of their stuff I've gotten has been so consistently great across albums that I'm torn on which to buy first. Some favorites:

Wolf Like Me

Golden Age

Second Song

Happy Idiot

Family Tree

This was the song they blew up with - Staring at the Sun off the Young Liars EP. Great track.

faridmon

That was meeeeeeeeee :D

Been listening to it alot. I really miss the melodic type of shoagzing that doen't sloly revolve around noise and heavy reverb and feedback.

It reminds me alot of Black Twig, which you really absolutely have to check out. Their new album just came out, but their 2014 release ''Heliogram'' was one of my favorite records that year.

Halfways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oveQ8i0CcjQ
Summer Slow Down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm5sDEsOA5A

big ander

This Whitney album is the real deal. I was hopeful after liking each of the singles, didn't know if a full LP of them would satisfy though. Definitely does. Incredible production, precise without calling attention to itself, expansive and warm with every sound mixed or panned to just the right place. Even mix of psych-pop, soul, and folk. even a sort of jazzy interlude that they completely pull off.

Fjordson

This Whitney album is the real deal. I was hopeful after liking each of the singles, didn't know if a full LP of them would satisfy though. Definitely does. Incredible production, precise without calling attention to itself, expansive and warm with every sound mixed or panned to just the right place. Even mix of psych-pop, soul, and folk. even a sort of jazzy interlude that they completely pull off.
Gonna have to check these out, really like both of those tracks.

Vocals were a little off putting at first, but once you get into the song (especially Golden Days) they fit the music.

Daeda

Wolf Like Me

Golden Age

Second Song

Happy Idiot

Family Tree

One of my absolute all time favorite bands! Such a great sound and range (the newer work is somewhat less experimental than their earlier stuff but I still loved Seeds a lot).

Check out the live recordings of Young Liars, such a beast live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_83cD_g5Wa4

Fjordson

Peeped the whole album. It's great!

And I just learned it's former Smith Westerns members. Not surprised, they were great also.

big ander

Peeped the whole album. It's great!

And I just learned it's former Smith Westerns members. Not surprised, they were great also.
Mhm, Max is a stellar songwriter and, now that this and Cullen Omori's solo debuts are out, I think it's clear he was the key member of the band. (Open to Cullen surprising in the future though.) And while he drummed for all of the third SW album, the influence of Julien being tour drummer for UMO came across more than Smith Westerns for me

King_Moc

Banned
Whoa for real? I just watched the Coachella performance and Ian sounded awful. Good to hear they're back in form.

In the UK, at least, it's amazing. Ian Brown and the crowd harmonise, and it all just works. Him attempting to sing over a dead crowd would probably be awful though.

He's a bad singer, but when you're there and 60,000 are singing along with him, it's amazing.

Mifune

Mehmber

Wolf Like Me

Golden Age

Second Song

Happy Idiot

Family Tree

Amazing band. I wish I could get into them for the first time all over again. If money is no object, I say go chronologically through their catalog. Start with the Young Liars EP and move forward. Cookie Mountain is maybe the best representative album but I think it's all worthwhile.

Stone Roses song is a bit of a banger. Loving the riff

I wasn't blown away by it but it does sound like Stone Roses which is all you can really ask for coming from a 21-year break.

New eagulls is choice

Definitely. Already listened through it twice and I love it. I'm going to need to adjust to his voice a bit but the instrumentation is on point which was pretty much my experience with the first album. My favorites out of the ones they haven't released as singles so far are Velvet and White Lie Lullaby.

Fjordson

Really enjoying the new Twin Peaks that came out today. More laid back than their earlier work, but has some really good early 70's Stones vibes.

I kinda wish they stuck with the one Mick Jagger-esque vocalist on all the songs, though. Don't know his name, but he's way better than the other quieter one.

chris121580

Really enjoying the new Twin Peaks that came out today. More laid back than their earlier work, but has some really good early 70's Stones vibes.

I kinda wish they stuck with the one Mick Jagger-esque vocalist on all the songs, though. Don't know his name, but he's way better than the other quieter one.

Yes, I'm loving it! I thought their last one was hit or miss but this is solid all the way through. 'Wanted You' is such a jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUiqyI5F_Ow

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Fuckin' lol @ Johnny releasing two "new" Chromatics EPs filled with a bunch of previously available material. Dear Tommy doesn't exist, dude, it's okay to admit that.

My favourite band Billy Talent is releasing an album July 29th, and just recently released their lead single "Afraid of Heights"

Billy Talent rarely disappoint me, and even though this is a slight departure from their previous material, I'm still really enjoying it.

faridmon

Yet another Danish Post-Punk band, Less Win, and they are releasing their debut ''TRUST'' album in June. They just posted their first track, ''Rituals'' and it sounds great. Another band to keep and eye on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCsZ6W-Erxg

My favourite band Billy Talent is releasing an album July 29th, and just recently released their lead single "Afraid of Heights"

Billy Talent rarely disappoint me, and even though this is a slight departure from their previous material, I'm still really enjoying it.

Now Thats a catchy track. Will check out their album, maybe, since summer is packed with so many great releases.

Top Bottom