• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Fuckin' lol @ Johnny releasing two "new" Chromatics EPs filled with a bunch of previously available material. Dear Tommy doesn't exist, dude, it's okay to admit that.

Couldn't even stitch them together with a few new cuts into a 50min album. I've been waiting so long it's hard to care at this point.

Pacbois

That track is smooth.
I'll probably catch them when they play here, they're insanely good live.

Did you see that they're playing in Paris late june ?

I just saw Frankie Cosmos play their first ever euro show and it was really good, same for the Tacocat show i saw last week.

Also the new Wolf Parade EP is quite good, not Apologies good but i didn't expect that anyway

Fjordson

Fuckin' lol @ Johnny releasing two "new" Chromatics EPs filled with a bunch of previously available material. Dear Tommy doesn't exist, dude, it's okay to admit that.
Man I can't even...whole thing is a bummer lol. Seriously does feel like the album doesn't exist at this point.

Not really rock but BADBADNOTGOOD are releasing a new album (IV) on July 8th! Cannot wait for that, that's my most anticipated record right now.

New track, featuring Sam Herring
Wow, this is great! Excited for the record.

faridmon

BADBADNOTGOOD were at Visions Festival last year. too bad they were clashing with Merchandises because I heard they are good live.

chris121580

Man, the new Car Seat Headrest album is so good! I was worried it was going to be a little long for my tastes but every song is so interesting with a lot going on. Great album

Hmm, they are coming to my town on the 9th of June. Maybe I should go and see them then.

The set is mishmash of their own material and covers and snippets of other songs. They play fast and loose with the setlist, they'll barrel straight from one song into another without stopping, or they'll stop mid song and James will talk to the crowd before they crash back into the song where they left off. It's a fun raucous show. Their own material comes across great live, and they hit the crowd favorites with the covers, Jawbreaker, Replacements, The Cure as just a sampling. Last night they did two Nirvana covers, and on the second they swapped a bunch of the band with Potty Mouth and did a Beach Slang/Potty Mouth version of Territorial Pissings and it was killer with Abby and James both belting it out. They played for like an hour and a half, not bothering to leave the stage for an "encore"

faridmon

The new White Lung is pretty good and the new EP from Rozwell Kid is amazing. Some damn good new music lately.

The set is mishmash of their own material and covers and snippets of other songs. They play fast and loose with the setlist, they'll barrel straight from one song into another without stopping, or they'll stop mid song and James will talk to the crowd before they crash back into the song where they left off. It's a fun raucous show. Their own material comes across great live, and they hit the crowd favorites with the covers, Jawbreaker, Replacements, The Cure as just a sampling. Last night they did two Nirvana covers, and on the second they swapped a bunch of the band with Potty Mouth and did a Beach Slang/Potty Mouth version of Territorial Pissings and it was killer with Abby and James both belting it out. They played for like an hour and a half, not bothering to leave the stage for an "encore"

Awesome. Now I have to go!

big ander

New Colleen Green EP is catchy summery fun as always, the semi-joking "Ramonescore" she's applying to it def fits. Love the song "Disco"
The new White Lung is pretty good and the new EP from Rozwell Kid is amazing. Some damn good new music lately.

Ooh new Rozwell Kid EP where? Hm I can't find anything about this do you just mean the Good Graphics EP from march last year? That is a damn good ep

faridmon

Also got Oscar's debut album Cut and Paste and L.A> Girlfriends' new album Neon Grey and both of them are really enjoyable.

On the other hand, I am starting to hate the new Eagulls. Very disappointing compared to their self titled after multiple listen.

Ooh new Rozwell Kid EP where? Hm I can't find anything about this do you just mean the Good Graphics EP from march last year? That is a damn good ep

Yeah, Good Graphics EP

Banquet Records is showing that it came out April this year. Wierd

faridmon

Ok, seriously guys, the debut Oscar Album is really good. Very fun and upbeat and his vocals are superb. Has a retro aesthetic and panache and is delivered with good confidence and impeccable production. The sound mixing in some of the tracks are just incredible. The guy may look like a douche but he is a really cool dude in real life.

Oscar_-_Cut_and_Paste.jpg

Sometimes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B3gNCulbH0
Breaking my Phone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37O2GSieFos
Beautiful Words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6LQAWi9xLU

HiResDes

feeling this -http://www.thefader.com/2016/05/23/magic-potion-pink-gum-album-stream

Also just got into the above mentioned albums as well.

chris121580

Ok, seriously guys, the debut Oscar Album is really good. Very fun and upbeat and his vocals are superb. Has a retro aesthetic and panache and is delivered with good confidence and impeccable production. The sound mixing in some of the tracks are just incredible. The guy may look like a douche but he is a really cool dude in real life.

Sometimes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B3gNCulbH0
Breaking my Phone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37O2GSieFos
Beautiful Words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6LQAWi9xLU

Got to see him do an in-store performance a couple days ago. Dude is legit and the album is great

faridmon

Got to see him do an in-store performance a couple days ago. Dude is legit and the album is great

First time I saw him (Supporting Sunflower Bean), I didn't like him at all. Came off as someone who took himself too seriously and thought of him a douche until I went home and watched his videos. That guy is just trying to have fun.

Saw him again at Handmade Festival and enjoyed his performance alot more. Glad I went into his album with a more open mind, because its damn good.

Steamlord

Any fans of The Leaf Library here? I somehow missed their debut album Daylight Versions last year but it's a fantastic piece of mellow ambient pop. Reminiscent of bands like Stereolab (a bit, in terms of the motorik pop element) and Movietone.

Rings of Saturn
Slow Spring
Tilting

Anyway, they released a new album this year called Nightlight Versions that's a completely ambient reworking of Daylight Versions. Basically they removed all the vocal and percussive elements from Daylight and came up with another gorgeous album, which really emphasizes the strength of their music. Great stuff.

Pacbois

Saw Julien Baker tonight, despite some sound issues and a bunch of the venue not really caring (all shows are free there so yeah) it was just beautiful, i had tears for most of the set.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
New Dino Jr. coming up in August, hell yea.

edit: gave that Fews album a try today. Gotta assume I'm missing something, because it didn't do a damn thing for me.

faridmon

edit: gave that Fews album a try today. Gotta assume I'm missing something, because it didn't do a damn thing for me.

Me too, had a few (no pun intended) listen and wasn't feeling it. Could be another Viet Cong where it took me ages to finally come around liking it, but so far, this Fews record has been a big fat meh.

Reckoner

I like this new Strokes song 'OBLIVIOUS.'

I barely remember their past two albums... gonna give them another listen.

I can hear some baggage from the Voidz, and that's great. The Strokes definitely needed some of the experiment.

Need the song to grow on me - if that's the case - yet. On first listen, it's alright.

Futureman

"Angle" is a very solid album. I definitely bought it but can't really remember how. I think I have the CD somewhere.

I don't think I listened to "Comedown Machine" more than once though...

Fjordson

I'm liking Oblivius. Drag Queen is kinda interesting too.

I barely remember their past two albums... gonna give them another listen.
I haven't enjoyed any of their albums post Room on Fire. Which is sad for me because Is This It is easily in my top 3-4 rock records ever and I grew up a total Strokes fanboy. Their recent stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Top Bottom