• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

Looking forward to seeing Viet Cong live again next month. Hopefully they'll drop a new record some time this year. Can't really get used to their new name.

prefaces

I still don't like viet cong at all.

same. never liked women either and i don't know why i listened to the cindy lee lp last year

been pretty lazy this year keeping up with releases but a few have made an impression

the hunches s/t
counter intuits monosyllabilly
neutral s/t
essaie pas demain est une autre nuit
and the angry angles compilation is nice to have

don't really get the lavender flu lp and the new lumpy album is a disappointment. haven't had enough time to listen to the melchior albums but they likely belong on the list too

Catvoca

Banned
"Angle" is a very solid album. I definitely bought it but can't really remember how. I think I have the CD somewhere.

I don't think I listened to "Comedown Machine" more than once though...

Comedown Machine is a great album, it's a real grower though. You should check out Julian Casablancas and the Voidz album as well if you skipped that, it's pretty incredible IMO.

There's a new Kills single, Siberian Nights. All the singles they've released so far have been pretty good which is more than I can say for Dodge and Burn. That album was disappointing.

The new Strokes EP is great. Threat of Joy gives me early Strokes vibes. I personally couldn't get into Julian Casablanca's solo stuff but I haven't really given it a shot. What's the best song off Tyranny?

faridmon

There's a new Kills single, Siberian Nights. All the singles they've released so far have been pretty good which is more than I can say for Dodge and Burn. That album was disappointing.

Obviously, since The Dead Weather will never be a good band. Too many chefs, etc. I am still flabbergasted at the consistent quality output from The Kills since there aren't a single album ir even track I have felt it could been better. All their discography so far have been excellent..

Having Said that, Ash and Ice seems intimidating. 50 min album is a bit on the long side.
I am not fan of long records :(

Catvoca

Banned
The new Strokes EP is great. Threat of Joy gives me early Strokes vibes. I personally couldn't get into Julian Casablanca's solo stuff but I haven't really given it a shot. What's the best song off Tyranny?

Probably Human Sadness, which is a 12 minute epic. Where no Eagles Fly was the single and is maybe the most accessible though. The album is a slow burn in general, it took me a lot of listens before it clicked.

Alpende

Obviously, since The Dead Weather will never be a good band. Too many chefs, etc. I am still flabbergasted at the consistent quality output from The Kills since there aren't a single album ir even track I have felt it could been better. All their discography so far have been excellent..

Having Said that, Ash and Ice seems intimidating. 50 min album is a bit on the long side.
I am not fan of long records :(

50 minutes is fine for me. I'm not a fan of long records either but 50 mins is not too long imo .

King_Moc

Banned
For me, the perfect spot is 35 - 40 min. I can tolerate 45 min, but longer than that is a bit too much for me.

I'm alright with long albums as long as the style varies a bit. An hour of really similar sounding stuff is a bit of a pain. I pretty much have to listen to the new Car Seat Headrest album in shifts.

Steamlord

The new Yumi Zouma is basically everything I hoped it would be. It might not quite capture that EP1 magic for me, but that probably has something to do with my mindset when that one came out. I'm loving the album though regardless.

And Jesus Christ, the LP is sold out already? I knew they were doing a limited run of the bonus 7", but damn. Kinda surreal remembering when that first EP started to take off two years ago.

Edit: And yeah, hyped about Swans. Kind of odd that they're releasing a new album already since I thought they were basically going on hiatus. Definitely not complaining though.

kalise

Neo Member
Damn really fell in love with spacemen 3 past few months. Didnt care much for their first album at first but damn. Their whole discog is great (even though the last one is kind of disjointed)

Yet another Danish Post-Punk band, Less Win, and they are releasing their debut ''TRUST'' album in June. They just posted their first track, ''Rituals'' and it sounds great. Another band to keep and eye on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCsZ6W-Erxg

Now Thats a catchy track. Will check out their album, maybe, since summer is packed with so many great releases.

Is there a list with the releases that are coming out? I can't find nothing for the genres I listen to.

Fjordson

The new Yumi Zouma is basically everything I hoped it would be. It might not quite capture that EP1 magic for me, but that probably has something to do with my mindset when that one came out. I'm loving the album though regardless.

And Jesus Christ, the LP is sold out already? I knew they were doing a limited run of the bonus 7", but damn. Kinda surreal remembering when that first EP started to take off two years ago.

Edit: And yeah, hyped about Swans. Kind of odd that they're releasing a new album already since I thought they were basically going on hiatus. Definitely not complaining though.
Listened to the Yumi record and totally agree. I love it.

Still early for them, but they've been consistent as hell across both EP's and now the full length. Really enjoy all three releases.

faridmon

I sort of didn't enjoy their newest album compared to their previous two, retrospectively. They lost their simplicity and playfulness along the way. It doesn't help the fact that its considerably longer record than their previous outings.

They are amazing live though. Their Birmingham gig was as good, even with smaller venue and even smaller audience.

Help me out gaf. Havent found an new music in years. But alt rock/indie would be my main genre. Favourite bands of all time would be Failure, And you will know us by the trail of dead, Autolux, Nirvana, so just looking for any kind of recommendations. Doesnt have to be new music (i gave some old Guided by Voices albums a shot on Spotify, its good, not exactly blowing my air back, but i like it). Tried Yo La Tengo, didnt really get into that tho.
So if anyone with similar tastes has any recommendations, hit me up bros

Queen's of the Stone Age is a pretty consistent winner, idk if you've heard ...Like Clockwork.

Attack on Memory by Cloud Nothings is a pretty solid piece of early 90s revivalism, maybe the new PUP album (The Dream is Dead) if you can handle a bit of pop in your punk.

edit: PUP's new album is totally called The Dream is Over, my bad

King_Moc

Banned
Help me out gaf. Havent found an new music in years. But alt rock/indie would be my main genre. Favourite bands of all time would be Failure, And you will know us by the trail of dead, Autolux, Nirvana, so just looking for any kind of recommendations. Doesnt have to be new music (i gave some old Guided by Voices albums a shot on Spotify, its good, not exactly blowing my air back, but i like it). Tried Yo La Tengo, didnt really get into that tho.

I love Trail of Dead! Have you tried Sonic Youth and Fugazi?

More recently I guess there's stuff like Car Seat Headrest, Protomartyr, Cloud Nothings, Savages that are like that. Courtney Barnett has a couple of songs that are a little bit Nirvana like too, though mostly she sounds nothing like them.

Queen's of the Stone Age is a pretty consistent winner, idk if you've heard ...Like Clockwork.

Attack on Memory by Cloud Nothings is a pretty solid piece of early 90s revivalism, maybe the new PUP album (The Dream is Dead) if you can handle a bit of pop in your punk.

I used to love Qotsa back in the day, but kinda went off them after Songs for the deaf. But thanks I'll check out those recommendations!

I love Trail of Dead! Have you tried Sonic Youth and Fugazi?

More recently I guess there's stuff like Car Seat Headrest, Protomartyr, Cloud Nothings, Savages that are like that. Courtney Barnett has a couple of songs that are a little bit Nirvana like too, though mostly she sounds nothing like them.

My man!! I've seen ToD a bunch of times, even met Conrad and Jason after the last show. Absolutely love those guys.

Try as I might I could never quite get into SY. Never heard Fugazi but Ill give them and your other recommendations a shot.

I've tried so many "similar to trail of dead" bands on Spotify but the majority of them sounded nothing like them, and were shit

faridmon

Bought my Ticket of Best Kept Secret Festival, and am staying in Amsterdam for about a week (with Linius). Really excited!

Sadly, I don't think I will make it to Field Day, my plans have clashed with each other and I am staying put this year. Damn sad that I am gonna miss Girl Band.

But will be attending Visions Festival. The Line-up this year is soo good!

Lucky for you the Grunge is back in the English scene and a lot of new bands are growing in popularity.

Check out: Kagoule, Tigercub, YAK, Dilly Dally (Not British), Milk Teeth, Dinosaur Pile-Up, Drenge, TRAAMS, The Wytches, Girl Band (Not Grunge, but awesome nonetheless)

edit: PUP's new album is totally called The Dream is Over, my bad

Opinions and all, but I really think the new PUP album is pretty shit. Not as catchy as their old music and certainly hasn't progressed much in terms of style and songwriting.

faridmon

Still on the fence if I wanna go and see YAK tonight.

Saw them 2 weeks ago, they were quite good. See them.

Load and ruckus and full of energy. Not as loud as they used to be 2 years ago (since the bassist left) but still energetic.

Who is supporting them?

INHEAVEN supported them last time and they were fantastic.

Linius

Saw them 2 weeks ago, they were quite good. See them.

Load and ruckus and full of energy. Not as loud as they used to be 2 years ago (since the bassist left) but still energetic.

Who is supporting them?

INHEAVEN supported them last time and they were fantastic.

It would be a double bill with The Chills. But plans have changed and some friends are at my place :p

Futureman

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/surfer-blood-guitarist-thomas-fekete-dead-at-27-20160531

Never listened to Surfer Blood, myself, but I was familiar with this dude's plight after his GoFundMe for medical expenses popped up last year. Easy to empathize with shit like this as I get older and think about how many people in my family have been taken down by cancer.

I love their first full length. This is really sad. I think I'm just in a weird mood today and this is bumming me out.

faridmon

Oh, that's because The Guardian didn't show the full lineup:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2016/

And yes, there really is that many stages.

Ah that makes sense and holy crap, that is a lot of venues.

Williams' Green looks like it has a an amazing pack of bands if you are intrested in the new sounds.

INHEAVEN, <Beak, Highaskite, Blaenoven, Oscar, Pixx, Coves, Sundara Karma, Mieler Jones, The Big Moon, This is the Kit

PUP's first album was memorable?

edit: Neither are above a weak 7 though.

At that time, it totally made an impact, I have to admit that I mellowed on them since then, but the new one is just trash IMO

Futureman

Waxahatchee w/ Hop Along this Friday in Philly. I would love to go but probably too far of a drive from Pittsburgh.

Waxahatchee is releasing "Early Recordings" on June 17th.

King_Moc

Banned
Royal Headache in London last night were damn good. Amazing energetic frontman, shame it was only a 50 minute headline set though.

I was at that gig. I loved it, though given their style and the length of both albums, I understand the length of the set being short.

And yeah, the frontman was very good. I think he must have been trying to increase his step count for the day.

Ah that makes sense and holy crap, that is a lot of venues.

Williams' Green looks like it has a an amazing pack of bands if you are intrested in the new sounds.

INHEAVEN, <Beak, Highaskite, Blaenoven, Oscar, Pixx, Coves, Sundara Karma, Mieler Jones, The Big Moon, This is the Kit

Yep, that's one of the best stages. That, John Peel and The Park mainly for me these days.

Top Bottom