• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

I just started listening to Ringo Deathstarr, shit's legit. They're a lot easier to listen to than Medicine for example.

I hope you mean the first two albums because after that they became a band equivalent to a drunk uncle who can't string two words together.

although I have to say Gods Dream was sort of return to the roots.

I hope you mean the first two albums because after that they became a band equivalent to a drunk uncle who can't string two words together.

although I have to say Gods Dream was sort of return to the roots.
I have Gods Dream and Pure Mood. I was intending on buying Color Trip at some point. Last time I checked with Shoegaze you're really not supposed to be able to understand half the shit they say.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Exactly what I've been waiting for.

http://www.stereogum.com/1879738/lydia-loveless-longer-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

fPkStRs.jpg

Medicine isn't supposed to be easy listening, but they're still far superior
Medicine leans a bit too hard on the distortion. I like them still, but I have to be in the mood for them. Ringo isn't as good as something like MBV or Mira or good Blonde Redhead, but they seem unique enough.

First gig of the summer on Saturday with Tame Impala. Anyone know if this tour is overloaded with Currents stuff or do they have a few songs from their other 2 albums in their setlist?

faridmon

I have Gods Dream and Pure Mood. I was intending on buying Color Trip at some point. Last time I checked with Shoegaze you're really not supposed to be able to understand half the shit they say.

Its not about understanding. Colour Trip and Sparkler were quite melodic and had some catchy dream pop hooks, where as Mauve had no structure or coherence and was just pure noise and reverb delivered in a dry way. Not fun at all.

Its not about understanding. Colour Trip and Sparkler were quite melodic and had some catchy dream pop hooks, where as Mauve had no structure or coherence and was just pure noise and reverb delivered in a dry way. Not fun at all.
Since I love dream pop I should get color trip and sparkler then. Structure less shoe gaze isn't good though since it just devolves into noise. Guess I should avoid Mauve then.

Alpende

Not sure what to think of the new Beck single. It's very different from Morning Phase and way more experimental. Wonder what the album is gonna be like.

abd

The new The Kills record is okay. Doing it to Death would fit well on No Wow. And Siberian Nights feels like a continuation of Blood Pressures. The rest feel like a cover song or they are bored and trying to play their way out of it. Unless you want to support the band, I would choose a few singles and instead enjoy Blood Pressures or Keep on Your Mean Side.

faridmon

Since I love dream pop I should get color trip and sparkler then. Structure less shoe gaze isn't good though since it just devolves into noise. Guess I should avoid Mauve then.

you absolutely have to. There is a reason why the Shoegaze revival started with these guys. Those albums are so good!

The new The Kills record is okay. Doing it to Death would fit well on No Wow. And Siberian Nights feels like a continuation of Blood Pressures. The rest feel like a cover song or they are bored and trying to play their way out of it. Unless you want to support the band, I would choose a few singles and instead enjoy Blood Pressures or Keep on Your Mean Side.

I haven't listen to the new one yet, but it just feels everything Alison Mosshart does these days just happen to be bang average at best and awful at worst. Honestly the couple of tracks she worked on with Gang of Four are appalling and Dead Weather have been a meh project anyway and their later album was even a bigger meh.

faridmon

Wait they started the revival? How long have they been out for? How many revivals have their even been?

Well not officially of course, but since mid to late 2000s, the scene have rapidly increased in popularity (at least here in UK) and they were the no.1 band people talked about that time. By the time Couour Trip came out, they sold out all of their gigs here and other bands (Such as The History of Apple Pie and Fear of Men for instance) have cited them as an influence.

Well not officially of course, but since mid to late 2000s, the scene have rapidly increased in popularity (at least here in UK) and they were the no.1 band people talked about that time. By the time Couour Trip came out, they sold out all of their gigs here and other bands (Such as The History of Apple Pie and Fear of Men for instance) have cited them as an influence.
Well that's interesting. I kind of always thought stuff like Mira and An April March would be the revival bands, but well they're dead and obscure and American, but it's nice to see people still actually like and create shoe gaze. Some of my favorite music since I got into My Bloody Valentine.

overcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r248o_rUfKE&feature=youtu.be

New Angel Olsen teaser, album is called My Woman with a tbd release.

I'm liking the synthier turn things have taken, she pretty much of perfected her lo-fi sound on BYFNW and it doesn't really need a sequel.
Wow, loving this. Need this Olsen album, one of my favorites right now. Hopefully sooner this year, rather than later.
First gig of the summer on Saturday with Tame Impala. Anyone know if this tour is overloaded with Currents stuff or do they have a few songs from their other 2 albums in their setlist?
It was balanced for sure. Seemed heavy on the 2nd album if anything when I saw them.

New Mourn record is out there. Nothing groundbreaking, but I enjoy it quiet a lot.

It was sad to read that they got a lot of trouble putting their records out in their own country and are not allowed to tour in order to support this release.
This zelda song is pretty cool imho

faridmon

What do you guys think of this? Seems amusing to me.

Glastonbury 2016 to introduce women-only venue

Well that's interesting. I kind of always thought stuff like Mira and An April March would be the revival bands, but well they're dead and obscure and American, but it's nice to see people still actually like and create shoe gaze. Some of my favorite music since I got into My Bloody Valentine.

While the popularity of the genre have dwindled down in the last 2 years, It was massive few years back with every other new band forming under the name ''Shoegaze''. As much as I love the genre, it just felt ham-fisted and to be fair, diluted an already maligned market.

Its sad to see bands like Cheatahs, Echo Lake, Pinkshinyultrablast and Eagulls distaning themselves from the genre

faridmon

I'm normally ok with stuff like this, but it seems like Glastonbury is basically the last place that would ever need it. It's pretty much a 5 day liberal utopia.

I don't mind it personally, I would rather have it in Glastonbury than say in a smaller festival where the chances of missing out a band that I wanted is greater. There is a billion venues at Glastonbury, so having 1 or 2 Female only venues is OK .

King_Moc

Banned
I don't mind it personally, I would rather have it in Glastonbury than say in a smaller festival where the chances of missing out a band that I wanted is greater. There is a billion venues at Glastonbury, so having 1 or 2 Female only venues is OK .

It's sounds like it's going to be a small venue that's as much about discussions and politics as it is the music, which is fair enough. Not sure Shangri-la is the right area of the site for it though. That's rave central.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Keep seeing raves for Whitney everywhere, but I hated the dude's voice so much that I couldn't make it a full minute into the first song.

Fjordson

Keep seeing raves for Whitney everywhere, but I hated the dude's voice so much that I couldn't make it a full minute into the first song.
Yeah, his voice is pretty weird. I like the music so much that I got used to it, but I can see why it would be off-putting for others.

Pacbois

Went to We Love Green festival in Paris this week-end. Terrible organisation, lots of mud and a shit crowd...

...but...

FUCK LCD SOUNDSYSTEM WAS SO GOOD.

PJ Harvey was alright but i feel like i would enjoy that set more in a venue, Air was a nice surprise, Hot Chip pure dumb fun, Savages objectively good but couldn't really care as it was the 4th time i saw them, Girl Band had no sound at all for some reason so can't tell.

While the popularity of the genre have dwindled down in the last 2 years, It was massive few years back with every other new band forming under the name ''Shoegaze''. As much as I love the genre, it just felt ham-fisted and to be fair, diluted an already maligned market.

Its sad to see bands like Cheatahs, Echo Lake, Pinkshinyultrablast and Eagulls distaning themselves from the genre
Those groups early MBV good?

What do you guys think of this? Seems amusing to me.

Glastonbury 2016 to introduce women-only venue

Eagulls never struck me as Shoegaze, even going back to their 2011 stuff.

There's a new No Joy track out btw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubPnUWDJFBQ

Also check out Kindling, I've mentioned them before but they are local and mostly unknown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UFlbogKSwk

faridmon

Those groups early MBV good?

Very hard to compare these modern bands to MBV. If you are just looking a side by side relation, you are gonna leave disappointing.

Mainly because The genre has grown so much to a point that the sound of Shogaze diverted from its original style (there are many that copy MBV stylistically) but most modern ones include other genres in order to stay fresh and relevant (there are reason why the genre died abruptly!)

Personally speaking, I enjoy them very much, but again, I never compared them anything from the 90s. Just try out yourself and see if you like them or now, but go in fresh.

Also, on the debate of MBV and Slowdive,

Souvlaki > Loveless

but

MBV > Slowdive

Eagulls never struck me as Shoegaze, even going back to their 2011 stuff.

I don't know, their debut album felt quite shoegaz-ey with a lot of reverb, pedal effects and muffled vocals. They just made the Post-Punk and Noise elements much more apparent.

Speaking of which, I have to get their previous EP. People have sworn that their Albums is great disappointment compared to their early releases.

Went to We Love Green festival in Paris this week-end. Terrible organisation, lots of mud and a shit crowd...

...but...

FUCK LCD SOUNDSYSTEM WAS SO GOOD.

PJ Harvey was alright but i feel like i would enjoy that set more in a venue, Air was a nice surprise, Hot Chip pure dumb fun, Savages objectively good but couldn't really care as it was the 4th time i saw them, Girl Band had no sound at all for some reason so can't tell.

Damn, genuinely feel bad for you, because they are one of the most impressive band live, and alot of it is because of their explosive sound.

Very hard to compare these modern bands to MBV. If you are just looking a side by side relation, you are gonna leave disappointing.

Mainly because The genre has grown so much to a point that the sound of Shogaze diverted from its original style (there are many that copy MBV stylistically) but most modern ones include other genres in order to stay fresh and relevant (there are reason why the genre died abruptly!)

Personally speaking, I enjoy them very much, but again, I never compared them anything from the 90s. Just try out yourself and see if you like them or now, but go in fresh.

Also, on the debate of MBV and Slowdive,

Souvlaki > Loveless

but

MBV > Slowdive
In all honesty I just use them as a quick frame of reference. Is the vocalist a female or male? I'm sort of picky with what my shoe gaze sounds like. If it sounds sort of like Pale Saints all is good then or An April March or something.

Top Bottom