• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

There's no reason for Loveless to be the template of every noise pop band that wants to label themselves as Shoegaze, I'd rather bands add drone if they think it would complement the sound they have going.

More Painful era Yo La Tengo less MBV

Daeda

Autolux yesterday was soooo good. They were delayed by two hours due to car troubles but the show more than made up for it. Lots of Future Perfect too, so glad I finally got to hear those songs live.

King_Moc

Banned
New Stone Roses song at midnight. Maybe it'll be good this time. The rumour was that it was 7 minutes long, so naturally now i'm hoping for I Am The Resurrection MkII.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCk34IVVgcc

I actually quite liked it. A bit repetitive again, but sounds like something in between Fools Gold and The Second Coming.

Drahcir

New Stone Roses song at midnight. Maybe it'll be good this time. The rumour was that it was 7 minutes long, so naturally now i'm hoping for I Am The Resurrection MkII.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCk34IVVgcc

I actually quite liked it. A bit repetitive again, but sounds like something in between Fools Gold and The Second Coming.

I was preparing for the worst after AFO, which was the worst thing that could have happened to them. "Beautiful Thing" fortunately is actually listenable. Lyrics aren't embarrassing, but where's Mani's part? I wish Squire's guitar playing was more debut album era and not Second Coming era though.

pablito

First listen of Glowing Man was kind of disappointing for me. Too much ambience and chant singing. But that listen was on a very uncomfortable plane ride home. I'll listen to it a bunch more at work come Monday where I can focus on it while doing my easy and boring work lol.

Futureman

just got Angel Olsen "Burn Your Fire for No Witness" and Thee Oh Sees "Help" at the record store.

I've had "Hi-Five" and "Meat Step Lively" on my Spotify favorites playlist for years. Listening now and loving "Burn Your Fire..".

Fjordson

No Gorillaz record this year :(. 2017 it is
Just saw that. The wait will be a bummer, but I'm betting it'll be worth it.

Like some of Damon's post-Blur projects have been kinda dull, but it seems like he really enjoys Gorillaz and as a result I think all three albums have been really good.

Alpende

Just saw that. The wait will be a bummer, but I'm betting it'll be worth it.

Like some of Damon's post-Blur projects have been kinda dull, but it seems like he really enjoys Gorillaz and as a result I think all three albums have been really good.

There's still the new The Good, The Bad & The Queen record that's supposed to come out this year. Hopefully that does happen

Dead

well not really...yet
Very hard to compare these modern bands to MBV. If you are just looking a side by side relation, you are gonna leave disappointing.

Mainly because The genre has grown so much to a point that the sound of Shogaze diverted from its original style (there are many that copy MBV stylistically) but most modern ones include other genres in order to stay fresh and relevant (there are reason why the genre died abruptly!)

Personally speaking, I enjoy them very much, but again, I never compared them anything from the 90s. Just try out yourself and see if you like them or now, but go in fresh.

Also, on the debate of MBV and Slowdive,

Souvlaki > Loveless

but

MBV > Slowdive
Real bros listen to Pygmalion

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

overcast

Angel Olsen's My Woman is out September 2nd.
Angel-Olsen-My-Woman.jpeg

Linius

Pygmalion is good. But no match for the masterpiece that is Souvlaki.

On the topic of slowdive. Saw Minor Victories the other day. Solid live performance.

Reckoner

I've been really enjoying Mitski a lot lately. She has an old feel to it at times, sometimes even reminding me of Joan Baez.

Puberty 2 is great, but I'm also having a good time going through her back catalog. Glad I finally gave her my attention.

zerotol

Banned
I like it, not too similar to Viet Cong, still hate the new band name though. I can never remember it until I see it.

New Deerhoof this year too? Awesome.

I'm liking new Deerhoof album. There's two really short throwaway songs, but the rest of it is very good.

faridmon

On the topic of slowdive. Saw Minor Victories the other day. Solid live performance.

Nice. I still need to get their album. The one track I have listened to on Youtube was pretty great.

Too bad they are just doing festival performances and not a headlining tour.

I like it, not too similar to Viet Cong, still hate the new band name though. I can never remember it until I see it.

Yeah, I don't like it either. Luckly, few press outlets are still calling them Viet Cong.

Linius

Viet Cong totally slayed it at Best Kept Secret. As per usual they ended with a 10 minute version of Death which was intense as fuck. They played some new stuff too, sounded pretty great.

faridmon

I'm actually going this year. Are the timings for stages out yet?

No. They normally release that a week ahead. I am fearing for so many clashes. The past 2 years, I had a clear paths on which bands to see and which ones to avoid (I still ended up seeing The Fucking Antlers because I was too tired to change the venue. God they were as shite as I thought they would)

Linius

No. They normally release that a week ahead. I am fearing for so many clashes. The past 2 years, I had a clear paths on which bands to see and which ones to avoid (I still ended up seeing The Fucking Antlers because I was too tired to change the venue. God they were as shite as I thought they would)

After this statement about the antlers I think we have to rethink our friendship. Unacceptable.

HiResDes

The Antlers are okay I guess, been underwhelmed by everything except Hospice and I even felt like that was overrated on outlets.

Slacker

Feel the same after one listen, but a bit busy here at work so I was only half paying attention.

This reminds me that I really like The Voyager. "She's Not Me" is one of the best songs ever.

Yeah this new album isn't great on its own, but really pales in comparison to what Jenny is capable of. The Voyager was awesome.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
case/lang/viers is so so good, one of the few things this year to really stand out as something truly special. Longtime fan of k.d.lang and Neko (even though her last couple releases didn't do a lot for me) but never got into Laura Viers much. The three of them harmonizing straight out of the gate just slays, and the focus shifting from person to person throughout provides a nice balance while still giving us a few gorgeous team-ups.

Album's on Spotify; "Atomic Number" video

Top Bottom