• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Currently at the Park Stage, waiting for Hinds to come on at 2pm. Highlights of yesterday at Glastonbury were Tame Impala, New Order, Wolf Alice and Chvrches. Cannot wait for LCD Soundsystem and Beck today.

keffri

Emarosa's new album is "out" right now.

They took a new direction with Bradley and it sounds very good. One of my favorite releases from them.

King_Moc

Banned
Currently at the Park Stage, waiting for Hinds to come on at 2pm. Highlights of yesterday at Glastonbury were Tame Impala, New Order, Wolf Alice and Chvrches. Cannot wait for LCD Soundsystem and Beck today.

I was there, Hinds were great. Really fun live. Loved New Order too.

Thought Chvrches were poor though. They just don't seem to have any actual tunes to my ears.

HiResDes

case/lang/viers is so so good, one of the few things this year to really stand out as something truly special. Longtime fan of k.d.lang and Neko (even though her last couple releases didn't do a lot for me) but never got into Laura Viers much. The three of them harmonizing straight out of the gate just slays, and the focus shifting from person to person throughout provides a nice balance while still giving us a few gorgeous team-ups.

Album's on Spotify; "Atomic Number" video
I'm coming in as a bigger fan of Veirs hopefully I'll enjoy it as much, I'm quite hyped

LCD Soundsystem changed my life tonight, though I'm really drunk haha. Seeing them again in 2 months and it seems so far away. Goddamn James Murphy you beautiful man.

Steamlord

Holy shit, Car Seat Headrest and Bully are co-headlining at a nearby venue later this year. Where I'm from that's like...not something that happens.

I still need to decide if I want to drive all the way to Dallas to see Mitski and Japanese Breakfast next week though... I love them both, but it's kind of far.

King_Moc

Banned
LCD Soundsystem changed my life tonight, though I'm really drunk haha. Seeing them again in 2 months and it seems so far away. Goddamn James Murphy you beautiful man.

Seriously. If it wasn't for the low volume and people talking, that would have been very high on my all time favourite gig list. Absolutely amazing. I was expecting them to be great, but they were so much better than that. And I was stone cold sober with ruined feet.

Seriously. If it wasn't for the low volume and people talking, that would have been very high on my all time favourite gig list. Absolutely amazing. I was expecting them to be great, but they were so much better than that. And I was stone cold sober with ruined feet.

I drank copiously to deal with the mud, currently in Bristol airport waiting for my flight home. I think it was you King MOC who helped convince me to go after I was having second thoughts in March. Thank you.
But bummed out I missed Mac Demarco yesterday, completely forgot he was on and went to the Other Stage. I'll catch him another time though.

Vard

Holy shit, Car Seat Headrest and Bully are co-headlining at a nearby venue later this year. Where I'm from that's like...not something that happens.

I still need to decide if I want to drive all the way to Dallas to see Mitski and Japanese Breakfast next week though... I love them both, but it's kind of far.
Do it! Their LA show sold out before I bought a ticket so I'm going to their one in Orange County about an hour away. The distance sucks but it should be an experience... and I really want to hear a Psychopomp-focused set.

King_Moc

Banned
I drank copiously to deal with the mud, currently in Bristol airport waiting for my flight home. I think it was you King MOC who helped convince me to go after I was having second thoughts in March. Thank you.
But bummed out I missed Mac Demarco yesterday, completely forgot he was on and went to the Other Stage. I'll catch him another time though.

Well, I can't recall that, but ok! Glad you had fun.

I think Mac Demarco played a gig in the Crow's Nest, which would have been ridiculous. I saw Yak in there, it must hold about 50 people. Jarvis Cocker was in there for that too, which was pretty surreal.

Steamlord

Do it! Their LA show sold out before I bought a ticket so I'm going to their one in Orange County about an hour away. The distance sucks but it should be an experience... and I really want to hear a Psychopomp-focused set.

It's about a five hour drive each way for me, lol. Still bought a ticket though, I've heard great things about Mitski's live show and I'm assuming Psychopomp will transition really well to a live performance as well.

Any Paws fans here? They are this kinda small alt-punky band from scotland. Just recently they released a new album wich was funnily produced by Mark Hoppus.
Since a friend of mine dragged me to their concert, No Grace became a staple for me. I listen to this song like every day.

Album is definitely worth a listen.

Car Seat already sold out here for their Sept. show and I'm a bit surprised as they certainly don't seem more popular than a bunch of other bands that haven't sold out that venue yet for earlier shows. I was caught a bit off guard as it didnt seem like a show I'd need to buy tickets super early for.

Vard

It's about a five hour drive each way for me, lol. Still bought a ticket though, I've heard great things about Mitski's live show and I'm assuming Psychopomp will transition really well to a live performance as well.
That is a long drive, but YOLO 'n that. I've been hearing really good things about this tour!

Any Paws fans here? They are this kinda small alt-punky band from scotland. Just recently they released a new album wich was funnily produced by Mark Hoppus.
Since a friend of mine dragged me to their concert, No Grace became a staple for me. I listen to this song like every day.

Album is definitely worth a listen.

Speaking of Japanese Breakfast, I did see that Paws and Michelle Zauner did a cover of Le Tigre's Deceptacon a couple years back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaEWBr2pmEs Listening to their 2014 song Tongues now, and it's pretty cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8c4yJRWDgs

faridmon

Dat feeling when you want to wish to live in Texas. I mean look at this Line-Up. HOLY SHIT!

13508898_485771941621359_8433710415622328166_n.png

That might be the best line-up I have seen in a festival.

Moozo

Eighteen is even better track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiJwnt8RHq8

They have been active recently and came out with 2 single.
I think an announcement of a debut album is imminent.

Both the EPs are great.

There are going to be six in this current series of singles I think (this new one is the third). Not sure if an album is to follow though.

Guessing you might be interested in this older material under a different name:
https://pacificridgerecords.bandcamp.com/album/only-in-youth-deluxe-edition

faridmon

Both the EPs are great.

There are going to be six in this current series of singles I think (this new one is the third). Not sure if an album is to follow though.

Guessing you might be interested in this older material under a different name:
https://pacificridgerecords.bandcamp.com/album/only-in-youth-deluxe-edition

They keep hinting an album on their facebook. I don't want more singles dammit :(

Didn't know they had an older materials with a different name. Will check it out.

Steamlord

So hyped for My Woman. September can't come soon enough.

Also, I just found out Insides are recording new material. This is huge. For me, at least.

Futureman

Oh yeah, I forgot there's a new Jicks record supposed to come out this year. Nice.

WHAT.

I don't think I saw this. Where you see this?

ever since his first two Jicks albums he's been on a 3-year stretch inbetween albums which would put his next in 2017.

here's a recent show with a new song called "Baby Boomer Nights".... starts at 12:50 or so. Great Song!
https://vimeo.com/channels/wehavesignal/112406479

new song "Kite in a Closet" can be found here: http://www.nyctaper.com/2014/03/ste...014-bowery-ballroom-flac-mp3-streaming-songs/

doing some digging on the official Malkmus board, it doesn't sound like anything concrete is coming. He's producing a record for a band called Canshaker Pi (they have an EP on Spotify... listening now and it's pretty good! Fans of Pavement will probably like).

Vard

I love Pavement and Malkmus is a legend, but I do have to say that the Jicks stuff released after Face The Truth hasn't done that much for me. I should give Mirror Traffic another listen though since I haven't heard that one much at all.

Will also check out what he's producing!

Vard

Mirror Traffic is I think the best of his last three records. Beck produced it.
Just checked out Canshaker Pi's first EP and it's good. A bit Pixies meet Pavement. Had no idea they were Dutch! Really looking forward to their Malkmus-produced album now. Thanks for the rec.

Currently listening to Fear of Men - Descent https://youtu.be/mRq_RMJsp28 I'm seeing them in a couple weeks!

faridmon

Currently listening to Fear of Men - Descent https://youtu.be/mRq_RMJsp28 I'm seeing them in a couple weeks!

The new Album is freaking amazing. Different from ''Loom'', where this track is taken from though. Less emphasis on surfy guitars, and more atmospheric.

Saw them live 4 times and they are one of my favourite live acts. Jess have, bar none, the most beautiful, exquisite voice I have ever heard. Just strong and composed.

Vard

The new Album is freaking amazing. Different from ''Loom'', where this track is taken from though. Less emphasis on surfy guitars, and more atmospheric.

Saw them live 4 times and they are one of my favourite live acts. Jess have, bar none, the most beautiful, exquisite voice I have ever heard. Just strong and composed.
Yeah, it's quite different but good! The guitar work definitely takes a backseat compared to the earlier albums, but I don't mind when the tracks come out like this: http://youtu.be/K-I9oU8764k

faridmon

Yeah, not liking the new Big Ups Record.

Thats a shame because their first one is one of my favourite albums in the last few years.

Top Bottom