• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Steamlord

Mitski and Japanese Breakfast were both great live. Mitski's live sound was very similar to that of the album, while JB had a heavier rock sound for her live show. Mostly guitars and drums with only occasional synths. She also did some shouting that was straight-up Little Big League, which I enjoyed. And she closed with a new(? I haven't heard her collections pre-Psychopomp so I'm not sure) song that was really weird and dancy and had autotuned vocals and stuff and it was really fun. Awesome show all around. Mitski also played a nice assortment of older material so that was cool. I'm both disappointed and relieved that she didn't play I Bet on Losing Dogs because I probably would have cried.

faridmon

On Tonight's PAWS gig

Hi Folks.
Sorry to say this show has been cancelled. Phillip has lost his voice over the weekend and subsequently is unable to perform. We'll try and re arrange the show but for the time being if you contact your ticket holder to arrange a refund.
Many Apologies.
H&H

God damn it. I was looking forward to it.

Mitski and Japanese Breakfast were both great live. Mitski's live sound was very similar to that of the album, while JB had a heavier rock sound for her live show. Mostly guitars and drums with only occasional synths. She also did some shouting that was straight-up Little Big League, which I enjoyed. And she closed with a new(? I haven't heard her collections pre-Psychopomp so I'm not sure) song that was really weird and dancy and had autotuned vocals and stuff and it was really fun. Awesome show all around. Mitski also played a nice assortment of older material so that was cool. I'm both disappointed and relieved that she didn't play I Bet on Losing Dogs because I probably would have cried.

I believe Jay Som is supporting those two on their tour. Did you manage to her? her new track is bloody awesome.

https://jaysom.bandcamp.com/album/i-think-youre-alright-rush

Vard

Nice! Thanks for the recap. I'm seeing them on Wednesday. I Bet On Losing Dogs is one of my faves from the new Mitski album too; it's a shame she didn't play it.

That last Japanese Breakfast track you heard is likely Machinist, which is in contention to be on the next album (source: twitter). In a recent interview she said she's doing another tour in September (and said she's playing with someone really cool but can't reveal who yet), and has already written 4 songs for the next LP. She writes prolifically so I do wonder if we'll see that new album by September too...

Hey RockGAF! Looking for new music/recommendations to enjoy! I really like The Gaslight Anthem and City & Colour. What else would scratch that itch, you reckon?

faridmon

Hey RockGAF! Looking for new music/recommendations to enjoy! I really like The Gaslight Anthem and City & Colour. What else would scratch that itch, you reckon?

Check out Brian Fallon's side Project with long friend Ian Perkin, The Horrible Crowes. For me Their album, Elsie, is his best record which also includes anything he have done for The Gaslight Anthem.

I just discovered Whirr thanks to spotifys weekly discover playlist. This is my fucking SHIT. Exactly what i was looking for. Theres a split EP with Whirr & Nothing, the track "Ease" by Whirr on it is just fucking incredible. You know when you hear a song and from the opening second youre just like "oh god. oh yes. This is fuckin amazing". Thats how that track hit me. So good.

Check out Brian Fallon's side Project with long friend Ian Perkin, The Horrible Crowes. For me Their album, Elsie, is his best record which also includes anything he have done for The Gaslight Anthem.

Oh yeah, Brian's solo stuff and THC are great. I was thinking maybe there are some other artists along those lines.

faridmon

Oh yeah, Brian's solo stuff and THC are great. I was thinking maybe there are some other artists along those lines.

Cool, I would recommend Portugal The Man. their previous work is a bit experimental, but I think you will get a lot out of their latest album ''Evil Friends''

faridmon

Mifune

Mehmber
Yeah, I like them. I, Gemini is a little rough around the edges but it's still really good and they have a lot of potential.

The sorta ramshackle quality of the album reminds me of early Animal Collective. Adventurous and providing the listener plenty to discover and unwrap. Definitely interested to see how they grow. They're only seventeen!

faridmon

Let's eat Grandma are quite good. I first heard of them when they were 15 and their music have become more complex as they went on.Their debut which just came out now, was fully written and recorded two years ago, but they had reproduce it couple of times to make it.... more experimental.

I haven't listen to their album though.

big ander

There are 2 new Joanna Gruesome songs on Spotify.

I'm guessing these are with the new singer?

Mhm, singers. They roughly divide it up so Kate (from Pennycress) does the shouting bits and Roxy does the more straightforward singing/keyboards. Roxy's also in a band called Grubs with Owen from JG and has a really great folk/indie pop solo project Two White Cranes. I think the single sounds almost exactly the same as the band did with Alanna, and live the dual vocals look real cool. about as smooth as a lineup change can be.

on the topic of UK DIY guitar rock/pop: I think Martha's new album Blisters in the Pit of My Heart is on spotify now (it's definitely out tomorrow) and it's awesome. iirc a couple others in here liked their debut Courting Strong. Love this video from the new one: "Goldman's Detective Agency". There's also "Ice Cream and Sunscreen"

Futureman

Ah cool. I'll check those bands out.

Dunno the previous singer's name... I think she left due to mental health issues right? Is she doing anything music related nowadays?

Martha did a split with Radiator Hospital who I love.

big ander

Yea don't remember how much she talked about it after the split, but she's since talked about a suicide attempt and how the life of being in a recording and touring band was wholly incompatible with her mental health. she posted some old songs but I think she's content to just leave music, at least for now.

That Martha/Radiator Hospital split's awesome

faridmon

There are 2 new Joanna Gruesome songs on Spotify.

I'm guessing these are with the new singer?

Half of the band members are actually changed. Saw them live a month ago and I couldn't recognise them. As Ander said, there are 2 new female vocalists and the drummer was also new. The guitarist seemed to have a new personality altogether.

and honestly, I really don't like their new setup. They are way too twee for my liking and the previous singer had way more confidence, personality and charm than they new ones, as well being really punky.

They were fun though, for what they have become.

big ander

Half of the band members are actually changed. Saw them live a month ago and I couldn't recognise them. As Ander said, there are 2 new female vocalists and the drummer was also new. The guitarist seemed to have a new personality altogether.

and honestly, I really don't like their new setup. They are way too twee for my liking and the previous singer had way more confidence, personality and charm than they new ones, as well being really punky.

They were fun though, for what they have become.

Unless they had someone else drumming that night or something, the other 4 in the band have been the same since the beginning

They were real shouty and noisy when I saw them at the end of last year too, but I'm also not against tweeness (and which was in their music pretty heavily to start I thought, part of why I liked em) so ymmv

I feel like they were influenced on their tour with Perfect Pussy and have been trying to work Meredith Graves style vocals into the songs now. IMO they were better before and I'm not sold on their sound since then.

Vard

And sort of speaking of side projects, Little Big League seems to be spawning a few good ones. Japanese Breakfast we've discussed, but Mercury Girls are pretty good too.
https://mercurygirls.bandcamp.com/track/all-that-heaven-allows
Nice, thanks for sharing. Certainly got a c86 influence.

I saw Japanese Breakfast and Mitski last night and it was really, really good. I was tempted to see them again tonight by grabbing a ticket off Craigslist, but that didn't pan out. I'll definitely be seeing Japanese Breakfast again in September at least.

My next gig is Fear of Men in 10 days, followed by Autolux 6 days after that. July is an awesome gig going month for me.

Vard

I'm digging Mercury Girls.

I wouldn't mind a new LBL record next year or something though.
I certainly wouldn't mind it either but get the impression Little Big League may stay on indefinite hiatus over the next year... especially with Japanese Breakfast taking off and this Mercury Girls side-project having started in the meantime. We'll see though!

faridmon

So I am listening to the new Ladyhawke album. While the new album is fun, its very disappointing considering that it doesn't sound remotely an album that was 4 years in the making. Very grounded and safe pop-ish record. Her weakest one so far.

Unless they had someone else drumming that night or something, the other 4 in the band have been the same since the beginning

They were real shouty and noisy when I saw them at the end of last year too, but I'm also not against tweeness (and which was in their music pretty heavily to start I thought, part of why I liked em) so ymmv

Keep in mind that the first time I saw them was weeks before before they released their debut album, but they totally looked like a different band, but I might not remember much. But I recognised the guitarist and the bassist.

I am not against Twee, but they were a band I expected character and personality considering how much they blew everyone away when they were 3rd of a bill for an average Speedy Oritz. That magic is certainly lost.

I don't think I am gonna see them again.

faridmon

These were pretty good live when I saw them at Glastonbury. Really, really loud.

They thrive of playing in smaller venues IMO. Saw them in a semi-open venue and they were a bit disappointing. Not energetic enough and certainly not loud enough.

Luckily, all the venues at Vision festival are tightly packed.

I've been listening to a lot of Sonic Youth lately and was just wondering what your guys' favorite album of theirs is?

Mine is Goo with The Eternal close behind.

Alpende

So apparently Queens of the Stone Age are going back to the studio by the end of the year. Hopefully we'll see a new record in 2017. Looking forward to that already.

Top Bottom