• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

King_Moc

Banned
I've been listening to a lot of Sonic Youth lately and was just wondering what your guys' favorite album of theirs is?

Mine is Goo with The Eternal close behind.

Sister, Daydream Nation and Nurse for me.

Absolutely one of my all time favourite bands. Some absolutely incredible stuff in their catalogue.

What the hell is The Eternal?...

Sister, Evol, and then Daydream Nation for me.

The Eternal is their last album. Its good, but I thought it was the worst of their late work.

Erik Petersen of Mischief Brew passed away. I just saw them play with World/Inferno and Culture Shock just last Friday. Really heartbroken by this. 2016 is the worst...

Linius

Wilco announced their new album called "Schmilco". Really liking the song they dropped for it.

yWDz9Lk.jpg

zerotol

Banned
Absolutely loving the new Deerhoof.

New Deerhoof is great. Criminals of the Dream might be my favorite song on it. I kinda wish I preordered it so I could've got the cassette of cover songs they did.

Speaking of Wilco, I recently heard that album Tweedy that came out a few years ago and it's got some good stuff on it. It's Jeff and his son I believe.

Futureman

Karate isn't on Spotify? I think that's like the first band I haven't found and I've been using it for years. I guess there's one album but they have a bunch.

Futureman

I'm officially on a Wilco kick.

I'm pretty much really familiar with all their albums, but seemingly never checked out The Whole Love.... I'll get on that today.

faridmon

So I have been chatting with some members of Hooton Tennis Club and the early word is that the new Wytches album is AMAZING. Can't wait!

Goo is probably the best entry point. Get on it! Band's a revelation.

I mean, seriously

Even Kim Gordon's vocals can't ruin it.

Just started listening bit of GOO. Its great, but their catalogue is just too overwhelming to me. Way too many to consider.

faridmon

So Stage times for Visions Festival have been posted

13680670_540654536138053_7887178621790111325_n.jpg

FUCK ME so many clashes. There is no way I will be able to enjoy Japanese House, Puma Rosa, Ulricka Speck, Let's Eat Grandma and Japanese Breakfest fully.

Bloody hell!

St John and Oval Space is 20 min by bus . :(

King_Moc

Banned
Japanese house > let's eat grandma > cate le bon > bleached > bad breeding > young fathers,for me I guess.

All the running will be fun.

faridmon

Japanese house > let's eat grandma > cate le bon > bleached > bad breeding > young fathers,for me I guess.

All the running will be fun.

I am seeing Japanese House in October and Let's Eat Gran, so I wouldn't feel bad if I miss their performance this one time.

For me its gonna be

Dream Wife < Japanese Breakfest (Half) < Pumarosa < Ulrika Speck < Cate le Bon < Bleached < Genghar < Anna Calvi

the running will not be fun for me at all.

Futureman

Apparently he stormed off a gig after just playing 2 songs last week.

That would have pissed me off.

Actually Pitchfork said he went on a long ass rant about the entertainment industry instead of playing songs. I don't think he stormed off. They also reported he turned down $200k from Chipotle to do a song.

I'm seeing him next month in Portland with Malkmus. I don't know Father John too well but I'm warming up to him.

faridmon

Actually Pitchfork said he went on a long ass rant about the entertainment industry instead of playing songs. I don't think he stormed off. They also reported he turned down $200k from Chipotle to do a song.

I'm seeing him next month in Portland with Malkmus. I don't know Father John too well but I'm warming up to him.

Woof. That is not a small sum.

faridmon

I went to a radio dept gig last month and I was extremely disappointed. Half of the music was played on pre-recorded tracks. They couldn't afford to hire a couple touring musicians?

Hmm, That sucks. I saw them in a festival in Oxford last year (or was it a year before that?) and they were all there performing along with a crew and all. It was very picturesque performance with lights and projections coming in and out and I thought they were alright (Didn't like the music itself)

I wonder if the issue was at certain dates.

linsivvi

Hmm, That sucks. I saw them in a festival in Oxford last year (or was it a year before that?) and they were all there performing along with a crew and all. It was very picturesque performance with lights and projections coming in and out and I thought they were alright (Didn't like the music itself)

I wonder if the issue was at certain dates.

Probably. They don't like to tour so they might not have a regular crew for smaller gigs.

But whatever, I've always liked their music so I don't mind supporting them despite the disappointing performance.

Daeda

New Wild Beasts is out there. 4 songs in and its already amazing. Big break from their previous style though. Much more dancable with some NIN influences.

It was the 15th anniversary of The Strokes "Is This It" yesterday. You can be sure I played that record 10 times back to front. Still timeless and refreshing as ever

faridmon

New Two Door Cinema Club track: Bad Decision

Very 80s. love it. Can't wait for the album.

It was the 15th anniversary of The Strokes "Is This It" yesterday. You can be sure I played that record 10 times back to front. Still timeless and refreshing as ever

Amazing record. Up there with the best.

Too bad everything they put out is shit.

Linius

The second album is still pretty good. After that it gets worse each time. Though every album still has one or two songs that I like.

faridmon

I haven't listened to the new EP actually, but the annoying thing is, as Linius have alluded to, is that in every album of theirs they have 2 or 3 decent tracks but the rest tend to be forgettable. Maybe, the fact that the first record was so good, warped my expectation.

Linius

Well with the exception of the second album that is. Still listen to that one from front to back every now and then. Probably because it's the closest in style and sound to their debut. After that one they started experimenting more, and not for the good for me sadly.

Reckoner

I haven't listened to the new EP actually, but the annoying thing is, as Linius have alluded to, is that in every album of theirs they have 2 or 3 decent tracks but the rest tend to be forgettable. Maybe, the fact that the first record was so good, warped my expectation.
Good thing that the EP only has three tracks.

Threat of Joy is a Strokes top 5 track.

Honestly, I enjoy First Impressions diversity a lot. It even manages to maintain some coesion. What came after that was too aimless, but still with a couple good tracks. Julian solo albums were a blessing.

Fjordson

The Strokes are one of my favourite bands ever, but it's mostly based on Is This It and Room on Fire. I was obsessed with those albums when I was a kid and was a huge fanboy of the band. Everything after Room on Fire has been disappointing for me. Not that their haven't been any good songs after RoF, but the albums pale in comparison imo.

Is This It was a really important album personally. I didn't put a ton of thought into music as a kid past what my friends listened to on the radio or what my mom played in the car but that started to shift after hearing Is This It. Really that and the first Gorillaz album in 2001. Is This It connected me to The Strokes' influences and older rock in general (Velvet Underground, Television, Stooges, Stones, etc.) and Gorillaz had all those collaborations that branched out into different genres like underground hip-hop + Damon Albarn which got me into 90's Britpop (and that led me to even older British music like The Smiths and The Jam and whatnot). Really so much that can be traced back to those two albums.

Top Bottom