• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Reckoner

The Strokes are one of my favourite bands ever, but it's mostly based on Is This It and Room on Fire. I was obsessed with those albums when I was a kid and was a huge fanboy of the band. Everything after Room on Fire has been disappointing for me. Not that their haven't been any good songs after RoF, but the albums pale in comparison imo.

Is This It was a really important album personally. I didn't put a ton of thought into music as a kid past what my friends listened to on the radio or what my mom played in the car but that started to shift after hearing Is This It. Really that and the first Gorillaz album in 2001. Is This It connected me to The Strokes' influences and older rock in general (Velvet Underground, Television, Stooges, Stones, etc.) and Gorillaz had all those collaborations that branched out into different genres like underground hip-hop + Damon Albarn which got me into 90's Britpop (and that led me to even older British music like The Smiths and The Jam and whatnot). Really so much that can be traced back to those two albums.

I feel you man. The album also gives such nostalgic vibes. Someday is like nostalgy anthem.

faridmon

This new band Porridge Radio is streaming their debut album on their soundcloud and its fantastic. Freak Folk mixed with alt-punk and indie pop. Reminds me alot of the old Joanna Gruesome but less noisier.

https://soundcloud.com/porridgeradio

Also the new Blaenoven track is dope. Can't believe these guys are only 17 years old.

Sincerly hope that it's the odd one like Disco / Very.

Disco/Very is the only decent song they have

Fjordson

I feel you man. The album also gives such nostalgic vibes. Someday is like nostalgy anthem.
God yes. The song and the video, where they're hanging out in the bar with Guns N' Roses and playing Family Fued against Guided by Voices. Classic track in every way.

King_Moc

Banned
Oh boy. Let's just say I (strongly) disagree.

Yeah, their first EP and album were brilliant. And their live shows back then were out of this world. I saw them in a back room of a pub in Atlanta, and it was among the best shows i've ever seen. They were just so fluid with their playing, if that makes sense. They made it seem like they were coming up with the songs on the fly and all the songs seemed to bleed together somehow. Amazing stuff.

That second album was absolutely meh though.

Spy

I need help finding a song.

The music video had two men (the singers) dressed as women and the lyrics went something like...

"I was lost/ I was losing all my ???/ Nora"

Something like that, I know this vague but the song just popped up in my head after years of not hearing it. It's probably from 2009-2011?

Aizo

Banned
I used to listen to a bunch of America Indie stuff when I was in high school, but fell out of it because I started listening to a lot of Japanese Indie stuff and don't live in the US.

I really loved Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, Bright Eyes (and all of Conor's side projects), Sufjan Stevens, Final Fantasy (Owen Pallett), etc.
I've mostly stayed up to date on the artists I mentioned, but I was wondering if you all could direct me towards any bands I might like from the past few years. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be similar to those artists, because I like most stuff, but it might be nice. Some of my favorite current Western artists include The Dear Hunter, Coheed & Cambria, Sufjan Stevens, Conor Oberst, and Billy Talent.

Edit: I didn't finish that last sentence before!

I used to listen to a bunch of America Indie stuff when I was in high school, but fell out of it because I started listening to a lot of Japanese Indie stuff and don't live in the US.

I really loved Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, Bright Eyes (and all of Conor's side projects), Sufjan Stevens, Final Fantasy (Owen Pallett), etc.
I've mostly stayed up to date on the artists I mentioned, but I was wondering if you all could direct me towards any bands I might like from the past few years. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be similar to those artists, because I like most stuff, but it might be nice. Some of my favorite current Western artists include The Dear Hunter,
Given the bands mentioned: spoon, the national, wild beasts.

faridmon

I've mostly stayed up to date on the artists I mentioned, but I was wondering if you all could direct me towards any bands I might like from the past few years. I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be similar to those artists, because I like most stuff, but it might be nice. Some of my favorite current Western artists include The Dear Hunter,

Welcome dude. Taking a break from Japanese Music I see :p (Listen to D.A.N Debut album, its fantastic and one of the best records this year)

In regards to your comment, you should check out the bands we all have been talking about for the past few years, and liked more or less

- Alvvays - Alvvays
- Cortney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
- Viet Cong - Viet Cong
- Spoon - They Want My Soul
- Girl Band - Holding Hands With Jamie
- FEWS - Means
- Marc DeMarco - Salad Days
- Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memories
- Milk Teeth - Vile Child
- Father John Misty - I Love you Honeybear
- Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal
- Protomartyr - The Agent Intelligent
- Ought - More than any Other Day
- Eagulls - Eagulls
- Cheatahs - Cheatahs
- The Wytches - Annabel Dream Reader
- Health - Death Magic

I am not fan of some of them, and I am totally forgetting alot, but those are the ones people here liked and talked about.

Thats a start I guess.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm too damn lazy to go out of my way to download music anymore, I wish artists would just release it officially when it leaks :(

Linius

It's up to the records labels though. Pretty sure bands would love to put out their music as soon as it's finished.

Futureman

I'll listen to Hockey Dad a little later... that just reminded me of this band Hockey Night. I guess they aren't on Spotify but I have their album. Haven't listened to it in years, thanks!

did you guys see how Issac Brock fell asleep while driving and crashed into another car? I liked last year's Modest Mouse album. They said they had another one written and ready to be released, I doubt we'll ever see that.

faridmon

Remember that I posted about Porridge Rice and their new album ''Rice, Pasta and Other Fillers'' (and saying how amazing it was)

Well, they put out a massage on their facebook and its charming (and hilarious to a certain degree)

So it's been a couple of days since the Porridge Radio album came out, and the response has been so overwhelming that I've been forced to move from Brighton to London for a few months.

I really dig that you guys are digging 'Rice, Pasta and Other Fillers'. I dig it big time. I think it's time to let you all know that there are NO FILLERS ON THIS ALBUM.

This is particularly pertinent information because (as I have just noticed) there are barely any soundcloud plays on Worms, which is track 7.

https://soundcloud.com/memorials-of-d…/porridge-radio-worms…
You may assume that we put a dud at track 7, like most artists do on most albums. However, the only duds on 'Rice, Pasta and Other Fillers' have cleverly been placed on the FIRST side of the album (tracks 1-5). By the time we reach Worms at track 7 there isn't a dud in sight!

Worms is actually one of the best songs on the album. It's a tribute to Lana Del Rey, and reminds me of Jonathan Richman and/or The Modern Lovers. I tried to make it sound like a sun streaked west coast bombshell exploding in a corner of space completely bereft of human satisfaction. It should have been a promo single.
Maybe it still will be? Wanna make a music video? Pitch me your ideas.

Love it when bands do that.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Remember that I posted about Porridge Rice and their new album ''Rice, Pasta and Other Fillers'' (and saying how amazing it was)

Well, they put out a massage on their facebook and its charming (and hilarious to a certain degree)

Love it when bands do that.

Damn this is good, the album is also free to download right now on their bandcamp too btw.

Hockey Dad is a good summer album too.

faridmon

That Hockey dad music is really fun. Should last me until the end of the summer.

New 65DaysofStatic album is really good. Good sci-fi aesthetic to it, as you'd expect with it being the No Man's Sky soundtrack. Interestingly, rather than recording it in a soundtrack style, they really have just done a 65DOS album.

It's really good, anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWX54C49pw

Saw them live at Handmade Festival playing that music and it was an experience (actually, I caught the last 15 mins ir so since I came late)

Don't know if I want to listen to a record of it though, sounds like I might get too bored of it fast.

Hockey Dad is probably one of my favorite bands. Their Ep Dreamin' ist so damn strong. However, I listened to the new album in a stream yesterday and I was a bit confused.
The songs are still fun and catchy but something about the mix seems off. The guitars have way to less highs and sound kinda samey. If you compare "I need a Woman", wich is the version from the Ep, with the other stuff from the Album you can see it pretty clearly.

Or maybe im just stupid.

Fjordson

Hockey Dad is probably one of my favorite bands. Their Ep Dreamin' ist so damn strong. However, I listened to the new album in a stream yesterday and I was a bit confused.
The songs are still fun and catchy but something about the mix seems off. The guitars have way to less highs and sound kinda samey. If you compare "I need a Woman", wich is the version from the Ep, with the other stuff from the Album you can see it pretty clearly.

Or maybe im just stupid.
Sort of agree. Though I hadn't listened to Hockey Dad before yesterday lol, but playing the album and then the EP back to back I definitely prefer the EP's sound.

Think the new album is a bit too clean for my tastes with the production, but that's just my personal tastes.

Aizo

Banned
Welcome dude. Taking a break from Japanese Music I see :p (Listen to D.A.N Debut album, its fantastic and one of the best records this year)
You're the one who took a break from Japanese music! I'm always listening to it. haha. Thanks for the recommendations. I heard a few of those on Sirius and from my old coworker before I moved back to Japan, but I didn't look into them too deeply. I'm happy about rediscovering Alvvays. I'll try to listen to everything else and post my impressions soon.
Given the bands mentioned: spoon, the national, wild beasts.
I do like Spoon and The National, so I'll check out Wild Beasts! Thanks!

faridmon

Been listening to Sunflower Bean's debut album. Nice shoegaze-summery vibes off it.

Yeah, Their album is in my top 10 AOTY for sure. Their album had everything. Indiepop, Grunge, Psychedelia , bit of shoegaze and whole lodas of garage riffs.

Their live performance was hands down the best gig I went to this year (out of the 43 gigs I went to)

One of the best and exciting new bands in recent years.

You're the one who took a break from Japanese music! I'm always listening to it. haha. Thanks for the recommendations. I heard a few of those on Sirius and from my old coworker before I moved back to Japan, but I didn't look into them too deeply. I'm happy about rediscovering Alvvays. I'll try to listen to everything else and post my impressions soon.

I still listen to Japanese music, I just stopped posted in that thread.

My top Japanese records so far:

1- D.A.N. - D.A.N
2- Metafive - Meta
3- Yoru no Honki Dance - Danceable
4- DYGL - Don't Know Where it is
5- Molice - Five

But yeah, keep posting impressions.

faridmon

OMG OMG OMG OMG

Slowdive have finished recording their album

in another news

The Maccabees have called it quits.

Never been fan of them but I am sure some will be gutted to hear this news.

Vard

️Digging the Porridge Radio album - thanks for the rec! Right up my alley.

Lately I've been listening to Christine and the Queens and Frankie Cosmos a good amount.

Basic or not I'm lowkey freaking out at how close we might be to a new Bon Iver album. It's been five years and even the brilliance of Angel Olsen can't tear me away from the hype.

amnesiac

I was very impressed with Bon Iver's second record. I will be at Eaux Claires this week to watch them perform the new one live!

faridmon

Japanese Breakfast just announced a full UK tour including Birmingham.

Will be there for sure. Hope her performance is better than the one in Vision Festival, while the tracks were fin, her work on stage left a lot to be desired.

But she did say that she was nervous so there is that...

Marks to Prove it was my favourite of The Maccabees discography. Pity they called it quits right after. Maybe they're taking a break for a couple of years and will come back even bigger. Worked for a couple of bands (The Libertines etc.)

Top Bottom