• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

GODDAMN IT. 1-2-3-4 Festival got cancelled. I was sooooo looking forward to it because the lie-up was crazy good.

Cld5JXAWQAAMYYn.jpg

SMH, I go see the Kindling record release show in Boston, and it's a good time but then Dinosaur JR joins them in Amherst the following night as a surprise guest.

Davey Cakes

I've been trying to get into R.E.M. Exploring their discography. My favorites so far:

Chronic Town (Debut EP 1982)
gwx8eh_thumb.jpg

Life's Rich Pageant (1986)
Lo8BNk_thumb.jpg

Green (1989)
OqatQJ_thumb.jpg

They have a bunch of singles strewn across their albums. It's been fun seeing how their sound changed going from the 80's to the 90's. Automatic for the People (1992) definitely showed how they could adapt to the times while keeping a mainstream sound.

I've also re-discovered Electric Light Orchestra. Pretty good 1970's-1980's classic rock/pop. The one's I've listened to so far have a "space-adventure-y" feel to them.

Out of the Blue (1977)
n3xxrl_thumb.jpg

Time (1981)
zpmc9x_thumb.jpg

King_Moc

Banned
I love me some R.E.M.

Best for me is New Adventures in Hi-Fi, followed by pretty much all the 80's albums (up until Green, which i'm not so hot on). Reveal and Around the Sun are the only bad albums they did. It was nice that they managed a return to form for two albums before splitting up.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I've been trying to get into R.E.M. Exploring their discography. My favorites so far:

I've also re-discovered Electric Light Orchestra. Pretty good 1970's-1980's classic rock/pop. The one's I've listened to so far have a "space-adventure-y" feel to them.

It's killing me how slow R.E.M has been with reissuing stuff -- and one of the latest was a reissue of an already-reissued album, ugh. I just want New Adventures at a reasonable price, dammit!

Out of the Blue is a stone cold classic, was just listening to that one a week or so back. Tends to remind me that I'm always meaning to get 10cc's Original Soundtrack (gives me similar grin-on-face as ELO) and the Jeff Lynne-produced George Harrison album.

faridmon

So I started listening to Cloud Nothings' Attack on Memory....

You guys are cray. No way is it better than Here and Nowhere Else. That album was heavy, full of reverb, Catchy and just pure Adrenalin inducing. Attack on Memory is meek by comparison.

HiResDes

So I started listening to Cloud Nothings' Attack on Memory....

You guys are cray. No way is it better than Here and Nowhere Else. That album was heavy, full of reverb, Catchy and just pure Adrenalin inducing. Attack on Memory is meek by comparison.
Attack on Memory is definitely superior they are right. It's more focused and the swell of emptiness and anger is much better paced and fully realized.

Attack on Memory has that Steve Albini crunch and is a solid album end to end unlike Here and Nowhere Else which outside of the opener and singles doesn't really land.

faridmon

Next week is goonna be awesome with Beach Baby, Beach Slang,
Lindsey Stirling
and White Ash dropping records.

Attack on Memory is definitely superior they are right. It's more focused and the swell of emptiness and anger is much better paced and fully realized.

Yeah I like Attack on Memory a bit more as well. I love both albums though.

Attack on Memory has that Steve Albini crunch and is a solid album end to end unlike Here and Nowhere Else which outside of the opener and singles doesn't really land.

Well, that is my first impression. I will keep on listening to it, but so far, I am not so hot on it as I was on their latest.

Reckoner

Any of you guys went to a LCD Soundsystem show recently? I'm very curious to know if they're delivering a good show, since I have a chance to see them this Thursday.

King_Moc

Banned
Any of you guys went to a LCD Soundsystem show recently? I'm very curious to know if they're delivering a good show, since I have a chance to see them this Thursday.

I saw them at Glastonbury, if they'd turned it up a bit it would have genuinely have been one of the best gigs I've ever been to. And I've probably been to >1000.

I'd been there over 5 days, my feet were killing me, I was stood in thick mud and I was stone cold sober, but I danced my tits off. They were absolutely incredible.

King_Moc

Banned
Are they even making an album? Haven't heard anything in regards to that.

Would kill for another album.

LCD? They sure are. They just wanted to get the reunion tour out of the way first. James Murphy said he had more songs than he's ever had written before and needed to do something with them, that was why he wanted to reform.

faridmon

LCD? They sure are. They just wanted to get the reunion tour out of the way first. James Murphy said he had more songs than he's ever had written before and needed to do something with them, that was why he wanted to reform.

Nice. Looking forward to it.

In another news. NEW HOOTON TENNIS CLUB ALBUM in 21st October.

28966347820054.jpeg

HYPE!

faridmon

Sunflower bean is releasing an EP ''From the Basement'' on 9th of September. Its a cover EP of various bands and artist, but looking forward to their take on these songs.

Already!? Awesome, I love these guys.

yeah, surprised they wrote another one in under a year, but again we are talking about a band that have cranking out EPs for 2 years.

Futureman

I'm seeing Malkmus/Father John Misty and Angel Olsen/Alex Cameron next month.

never heard of Cameron I'm listening on Spotify and really like the few songs available.

edit: just saw pitchfork reviewed his album today and it's out on Friday

Futureman

the Snails "Worth the Wait" EP is so great. I never really look at the Discover thing in Spotify but I found this band there. Super fun EP.

edit: aaaand now I found Future Islands. Seasons Change!

big ander

I guess the second half of attack on memory has more in common with the earlier Cloud Nothings records than it does here or nowhere else maybe? But then there's the first two songs that are heavy and powerful so I truly have no clue how anyone could call them "meek" especially in comparison to the follow-up, like "Wasted Days" lyrics are simplistic but way more passionate than the meaningless "Pattern Walks". idk, y'haven't provided any actual reasons for how it actually differs when pretty much every other listener seems to agree it's very much in line with the records that surround it. Genuinely don't see how anyone could perceive such a sharp drop in quality

I'm curious to see where Dylan goes next with CN, their song from last year "End the Cycle" was very demo-y but also had some interesting play with effects and gentle noise. the wavves collab album was a wash but I think he could take the project in a new cool direction.

King_Moc

Banned
I think Here and Nowhere Else and Attack on Memory are both a little different, at least in mood. Attack on Memory sounds a lot darker, whereas Here and Nowhere Else is much more upbeat. I don't really prefer one to the other tbh.

Futureman

I like Attack on Memory more overall but really enjoy both records.

I guess Swearin' is done? Or maybe hiatus or something? My GF's sister is directing a music video for a new Allison Crutchfield song. Looks like she's gonna try solo like Katie.

Pacbois

I like Attack on Memory more overall but really enjoy both records.

I guess Swearin' is done? Or maybe hiatus or something? My GF's sister is directing a music video for a new Allison Crutchfield song. Looks like she's gonna try solo like Katie.

if it's a break it's going to be a long one with the P.S. Eliot reunion going on

faridmon

Attack on Memories is growing on me, but I certainly do miss the heavier riffs their last album had. I mean Pattern Walks is just a Superior, more energetic song than any song on Attack on Memory.

Didn't realise Cymbal Eat Guitar is releasing an album so soon. Checked their single and they are miles better than anything on LOSE (Needless to say, I never liked it) I am curious about the new one as they have cited The Smiths and Jangle pop of the 80s and 90s as a strong influence.

The debut album of Beach baby's '' No Mind no Money'' Is fucking awesome. I implore you all to listen to the singles at least.

U R
Limousine
No Mind no Money
Sleaperhead

So, I saw Foals on saturday at the Dockville Festival in Hamburg and in the 30 minute break between Crystal Fighters and them, they played the whole Viet Cong album with Death as the intro for Foals. That was cool as fuck.

Also I touched Yannis butt like 3 times.

Clockwork5

Out of the Blue (1977)
n3xxrl_thumb.jpg

Time (1981)
zpmc9x_thumb.jpg

I have also rediscovered their genius
I really like them now
There is so much good music to be had.

I would definitely add Face the Music and New World Record to their list of awesome albums.

Telephone Line is one of my favorites off of New World Record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77R1Wp6Y_5Y

Davey Cakes

I have also rediscovered their genius
I really like them now
There is so much good music to be had.

I would definitely add Face the Music and New World Record to their list of awesome albums.

Telephone Line is one of my favorites off of New World Record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77R1Wp6Y_5Y
ELO has a classic pop rock sound that I can appreciate. New World Record is great! If you recommend Face the Music I'll try that one too. Thanks!

In terms of newer stuff, I've already heard Angel Olsen's album (leaked) and I like it, but the second half is where the gold is. "Sister" is still probably one of the best tracks.

Top Bottom