• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Davey Cakes

Finally got around to listening to King Crimson. They've been in my music "backlog" for a while.

I can already tell there's some greatness to experience here. In the Court of the Crimson King and Red are the kinds of albums that seem very ahead of their time.

So did anyone here end up checking out that Kindling album I posted?
Okay, so I gave this a go.

"Shoegaze" seems like a proper description but within that genre I prefer a slightly cleaner and clearer sound. The guitar drowns out everything a bit too much and the vocal style doesn't really work with it. Just my opinion. I get what they're going for but it's not for me.

faridmon

Big Deal have broken up. Shame. I really like their new album and they were great as I have seen them live twice this year.

faridmon

Smashed Vinyl have started doing this feature called ''Hidden gems'' where they talk briefly about forgotten great acts of past and present and are worth the read. They are very short and succinct so its not a huge effort to go through them and they feature 3 bands/artist each time.

Hidden Gems and Forgotten Treasures #1: Featuring Dean Blunt, Show Me The Body and Country Teasers
Hidden Gems and Forgotten Treasures #2: Featuring Grouper, Corners and The Holydrug Couple
Hidden Gems and Forgotten Treasures #3: Featuring Fufanu, The Antlers and Dj Geniefactory

Yeah, just saw that on their Facebook page. That new album was really good. Sad news.

Yeah, I liked it very much. mush to surprise to find out that it didn't review well in many press outlets. i wonder what their expectation was.

faridmon

I don't do this often (actually at all!)

But I just pre-ordered a signed vinyl of the new Jagwar Ma's album. and a signed one to boot.

Don't know why I did that, but I just did it out of whim. I really liked their first album so I am really looking forward to the new one.

I don't do this often (actually at all!)

But I just pre-ordered a signed vinyl of the new Jagwar Ma's album. and a signed one to boot.

Don't know why I did that, but I just did it out of whim. I really liked their first album so I am really looking forward to the new one.

The new singles they released are really good. Everybody should check them out.

King_Moc

Banned
the angel olsen album is very very good

i know i'm late but i don't listen to leaks

Listened to it twice today, not having heard it before. It's mostly excellent. 'Not Gonna Kill You' is amazing, I was getting major Stooges vibes off the end of that.

I went to see Thee Oh Sees in London last night. That was Brutal. It was like the first 8 rows had epileptic fits.

The Blind Shake were the best support band ive seen in years (although they were the main reason i went to the gig)

Davey Cakes

The Divine Comedy - Foreverland (2016)

foreverland_cover.jpg

I enjoyed it quite a bit! Certainly a refreshing sound to hear again.

Neil Hannon is having too much fun.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Man, this Lucy Dacus album is great. It's the sort of thing that you want to hit repeat on the second it ends. Came out early in the year, but now that Matador signed her and reissued the album, I imagine she'll be getting quite a bit more exposure.

Kinda surprised no one's said anything about Cass McCombs' crazy-smooooth Mangy Love, considering there are a lot of Mac Demarco fans here.

Mifune

Mehmber
Don't know if people care anymore but the new Okkervil River is up on NPR Music.

It's a subtle, dense, quite beautiful album, featuring some lovely orchestral coloring, that somehow doesn't feel overcooked (the great flaw of the last few albums imo). Will is in slow burn mode here, the instrumentation is subdued, the mood is contemplative. I think it's their best stuff since Black Sheep Boy.

If, like me, you are a lapsed or increasingly ambivalent OR fan, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Loving the new Wilco album.

Yeah, it's fantastic. I actually didn't like Star Wars that much so I was surprised to read that this album was recorded at the same sessions. They have a quiet introspective mood in Schmilco that you can really hear in the sound.

Futureman

New Against Me! is up on NPR today.

is there an app to listen to NPR's First Listen? Or do I just have to stream through a browser? I'm not seeing any NPR app that will let me do this.

Finally got around to listening to King Crimson. They've been in my music "backlog" for a while.

I can already tell there's some greatness to experience here. In the Court of the Crimson King and Red are the kinds of albums that seem very ahead of their time.
I love their "fuck it let's have two of everything" era.

amnesiac

New Nick Cave album is great. Very sad, as expected.

Really want to see the movie but it's not playing anywhere near me so I'll have to wait for a wide release if it ever happens.

New Nick Cave album is great. Very sad, as expected.

Really want to see the movie but it's not playing anywhere near me so I'll have to wait for a wide release if it ever happens.

I had a theater that showed it within 5 min so I had to see it. Came back a few hours ago in fact.

It was very good. I felt the 3D was distracting but a big part of the movie was dealing with the artifice of the camera and the filming of the album, which itself fell in the theme of how to capture the tragedy of Cave's son's death and its rippling effect. The movie went at all angles with this with interviews, Cave's voiceovers/poetry, candid moments, and well-filmed recording sessions (essentially music videos). It did feel disorganized at times but the editing and some shots were fantastic. One of the best things the movie did was contrast the performances and Nick Cave's narration with moments during interviews where Cave couldn't find the words to express his feelings. The movie felt very genuine as a result and not nearly as pretentious or calculated as 20,000 Days on Earth (which I still really enjoyed).

I just finished listening to Skeleton Tree and I only like it. I just have a disdain of weird outside vocals and that pops up in a few songs but I'm sure I'll get over it after a few more spins.

big ander

the nots album out today is killer psychpunk

EDIT: and the Sunflower Bean covers EP that came out today is boring as shit. Doesn't transform the songs from the originals in any interesting way. At least it sent me back to the LP for a minute—I still think it's a mild disappointment and way less psyched-out than i'd hoped from their singles and eps but its dream pop shift is catchier than i gave it credit for ("Easier Said" grew on me). nonetheless from their record and now this ep it's hard to shake the feeling the band is just a side project to the lead singer's modeling career that knows what bands to reference for cool points...wanna see them stake out their own ground.

faridmon

Tigercub just announced their debut album ''ABSTRACT FIGURES IN THE DARK'' on 11th of November.

Yep, ''Is the is Are'' dethroned from being my AOTY.

Futureman

Seeing Angel Olsen and... I thought Alex Cameron next week in Pittsburgh. I guess he's having visa issues. Really disappointed as I'm loving his new album.

Apparently Juliana Barwick is replacing him. Looked her up and her albums seem to be really well received but I think her music is quite boring. Very soft and slow and atmospheric. Bummer.

big ander

new The Men album comin' this year—sounds like their turn towards country rock/classic rnr over their last two/three records is reversing a bit. This is more distorted like their earlier stuff, b/w sax skronk and not as muddy. "Lion's Den"

Linius

That's one trippy song. Not sure if I like it yet. Shifting back to their old sound ain't a bad idea though, still love their first records.

nillah

Banned
Jack White just dropped a bunch of acoustic tracks of previous songs his arsenal. City lights sounded really good 😶

faridmon

new The Men album comin' this year—sounds like their turn towards country rock/classic rnr over their last two/three records is reversing a bit. This is more distorted like their earlier stuff, b/w sax skronk and not as muddy. "Lion's Den"

Didn't they make a Post-Punk album?

Was really interested in that, but their name is proper generic.

big ander

Didn't they make a Post-Punk album?

Was really interested in that, but their name is proper generic.
They're kinda renowned for having a different sound with each record. debut EP and LP are blown-out post-hardcore/garage/noise rock, second LP gets more neo-psychedelic/post-punk, third is like noise rock/country punk, fourth goes a bit more country and power pop with some psyched out moments, fifth is classic rnr.

Sometimes a cool name can grab my attention but they almost never push me away. Especially not for being too generic. I mean people still buy every fart pressed to wax by a guy named "Jack White" :p

Fjordson

I know I'm pretty late here, but goddamn is the new Angel Olsen good. Think I like it more than Burn Your Fire (and I thought that was great).

Pacbois

I know I'm pretty late here, but goddamn is the new Angel Olsen good. Think I like it more than Burn Your Fire (and I thought that was great).

it's a beautiful record but weirdly enough i haven't been listening to it that much ? I need to fix that

Also the new Creative Adult and the new Nots are solid choices for post-punk fans

Seeing Fear of Men tonight and Pinegrove on friday, not a bad week

zerotol

Banned
And one more bit of news that might be of interest.

Justin and Sara from Unwound have a new band called Nocturnal Habits.

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2016/09/14/493759252/vikings-choice-nocturnal-habits-good-grief

The band's debut album, New Skin For Old Children, is wild and weird, even by the collective talent's standards, yet it's also immediate. It has all the adventure of Unwound's swan song, Leaves Turn Inside You, but it's also lushly and strangely arranged like Jeremy Enigk's otherworldly Return Of The Frog Queen.

Top Bottom