• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yo, thanks to Fidelis and you, I checked out Los Campesinos!

I have been missing out on some incredible shit with this band. I've had Romance is Boring on repeat during everything I've done for the past week or more. That includes the gym, boning, and going to the post office to pick up some quality comics that almost got lost in the shitty USPS system.

No Blues is great as well.

This makes me super happy. All their albums are great and unique from each other, but I feel that Romance is Boring is where they became a 'proper' band. Brill little record.

You may also enjoy Slow Club. Very different feeling band, but Slow Club and Los Camps alternate as my favourite bands (fun fact, the singer from LC dated the gorgeous singer from SC, and Hello Sadness is based on this)

Linius

There's gonna be a seperate top 'random number' 2013 thread soon right? Come to think of it, think I missed the outcome of the 2012 thread. Anyways, I'll try to name a couple in alphabetical order which will probably make my list.

Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Atoms for Peace - AMOK
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
CHRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
Darkside - Psychic
Deerhunter - Monomania
FIDLAR - FIDLAR
Foxygen - We Are the 21st Century "...."
Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus
Jacco Gardner - Cabinet of Curiousities
Kurt Vile - Wakin On a Pretty Daze
Local Natives - Hummingbird
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
Savages - Silence Yourself
Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

Then I haven't even named Bill Callahan, Youth Lagoon, Cloud Control, Jagwar Ma, Villagers, Yo La Tengo, Vondelpark and The Pastels. It's been quite the year for me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Kurt-Vile-Waking-On-A-Pretty-Daze.jpg
The album I'm in love with now is Kurt Vile's Wakin On a Pretty Daze. Saw him live at Primavera and didn't think much of it. Guy recommended I check out his latest anyway and give it a few spins. It was his aoty. Finally did. First listen: still nothing. Then it started clicking in a major way. For a few days now it's been all I listen to on my drive to work.

This is one of the biggest growers I've listened to recently. Guess I'm a fan of Kurt Vile now.

Shame Chamber is great

WOO

Linius

Aw man, I wanna go to Primavera :(

To be fair, Kurt Vile is a bit dull live. But his last two solo records and the one where he was still in War On Drugs (debut album I think it was) are great.

chris121580

Here are my top albums of the year so far. This year has been incredible:

The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Kings of Leon - Mechanical Bull
Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe
Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr - The Speed of Things
Pusha T - MNIMN
Dr. Dog - B-Room
Local Natives - Hummingbird
Danny Brown - Old
Kanye West - Yeezus
Ducktails - The Flower Lane
Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
Atlas Genius - When It Was Now
Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
The Men - New Moon
The Virgins - Strike Gently
Phosphorescent - Muchacho
Caveman - Caveman
Phoenix - Bankrupt!
Randy Rogers Band - Trouble
Mikal Cronin - MCII
Still Corners - Strange Pleasures
Small Black - Limits of Desire
Empire of The Sun - Ice On The Dune
Foxygen - We Are the 21st Century...
The Moondoggies - Adios I'm A Ghost
Washed Out - Paracosm
The Wild Feathers - The Wild Feathers
White Lies - Big TV
Wiretree - Get Up
Okkervil River - The Silver Gymnasium
Volcano Choir - Repave
King Khan & the Shrines - Idle No More
Califone - Stitches
Diarrhea Planet - I'm Rich Beyond Your Wildest Dreams
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Holy Ghost! - Dynamics
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Midlake - Antiphon
Cut Copy - Free Your Mind
Lucius - Wildewoman
Cayucas - Big Foot

Servbot24

Banned
I honestly forgot that Califone record even existed, all I remember is being really bored

I sure do love Roots and Crowns though.

Duuke

I reaaaaaally need help finding this song. This may not be the best thread to post in for this kinda thing, but I'm going crazy.

I'm pretty sure it's all instrumental, and has a deep bass drum and something like a rapid taiko drum beat. It sounds a lot like the drumming in Woodkids - Run Boy Run

http://youtu.be/lmc21V-zBq0?t=30s

I thought it could be by Ratatat or Glitch Mob, but it's more simple and I think relatively new. It's driving me insane and if someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very thankful.

About to go HAM

Neo Member
I find that New Order has a lot of overlap with the indie/alt rock crowd. They have a rich history as sort of pioneers of the dance scene.

By miles, their best album -->

Cat Power's Sun is one heck of a good time.

The National, my all time fav, have these two B-sides which are totally worth a listen.
Warm Singing Whores
The Thrilling Of Claire

EDIT: I forgot The Strokes, sure maybe they're over rated and its been down hill since their first album, but they've got it going on.

Servbot24

Banned
Pitchfork gets a lot of shit here, and rightfully so. A lot of their writers are trash overly concerned with scene drama/ politics and not concerned enough with writing about actual music. However, Ian Cohen's review of the reissued "Transantlanticism" is a great read. Kinda surprised it didn't get best new reissue or something, but whateves.

Credit where it's due and all that.

One of the best NAIR
North American Indie Rock
records ever.

Linius

One of the best NAIR
North American Indie Rock
records ever.

Is that a thing? Good you used that spoiler :p

jxxYujR.jpg

Various (Awersome) Artists - Dark Was the Night

I think most people know it, but I just had to post it once because this is such an awesome collection of songs. This album was made to raise money for the Red Hot Organization, a charity institute that raises awareness for HIV and Aids. I don't charity ever produced such an amazing collection of songs as this one featuring many Indie darlings like Grizzlybear, The Books, Spoon, Stuart Murdoch (Belle & Sebastian), Arcade Fire etc. etc. The above review reminded me of it because Ben Gibbard does a duet on this album with none other than Feist. So if you missed this one, check it out.

Man Darkside - Psychic is so fucking good.

This is coming from a decidedly meh opinion of atmospheric music in general, but he really manages to distinguish himself and limit the Album to a nice length

Mogwai

Anybody else who've picked up Grizzly Bear's Shields B-Sides?

It sounds like an interesting handful of tracks. Will Calls is (still) awesome. I totally dig that outro. The other four tracks haven't struck me quite yet but that's probably just a matter of time. I haven't really paid any attention to the remixes.

Davey Cakes

Prefab Sprout.

Prefab fucking Sprout.

Cars and Girls

This is some damn fine 80's alternative pop rock. I love the lyrics, too.

I guess the group is topical since the new album (Crimson/Red) just came out.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Sup dudes. My band (Exes) will be releasing this super rockin' EP pretty soon, but for now it's free and promo status if anyone wants to take a gander.

EXES || How I Met Your Girlfriend

artworks-000062871014-gcll4i-t500x500.jpg

Tracklist
1. Marshall
2. Skills
3. Younglife
4. How I Met Your Girlfriend

DL (MEDIAFIRE) || STREAMING

For fans of . . I dunno, 90's weezer, brand new probably, chunky guitars and biting lyrics haha.

televator

This track sounded very nice! I'll have to look them up further.

EDIT: I forgot The Strokes, sure maybe they're over rated and its been down hill since their first album, but they've got it going on.

Eh, it seems any band that is famous is "overrated." I like them too. I also liked First Impressions even though friends around me were bitching about them sounding different. Their last 2 albums though have been forgettable.

faridmon

For Tricot, try this Foals. Similar blend of Pop rock and Math rock. I haven't listen a lot to Kana-Boom, so I can't give a proper answer.

Also, similar Japanese band is HaKU. Although they are a bit more synthetic.

Saw Television last night was incredible, was afraid it'd be super disappointing but outside of some weak vocals at times was awesome.

Marquee Moon is such a perfect song

That's pretty awesome. Don't think I'll get a chance to see them live.

Yeah their tours are always short and in odd locations, remember when they announced the concert and I saw it in work and nearly started freaking out, sad moment where you realise no one else in your job has heard of them

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Album of the year so far is Los Campesinos! NO BLUES so far. It's nearly perfect.

Got the new future of the Left record yesterday, paid money and everything for it. Not all that impressed for far, it's a bit too 'knowing' and tongue in cheek even for them.

It doesn't beat The National - Trouble Will Find Me or Acid Rap by Chane the Rapper, but it's definitely up there. It gets better every time too.

OK, Sufjan Stevens. What else is best aside from Michigan and (of course) Illinoise? I'm hankering for more of his material. Seven Swans I'm listening to right now, and his latest Electronic album didn't do much for me. Everything else is up for grabs.

Also, favorite album from him?

overcast

Anyone hear the new Polica? I really like it.

+ Channy is so cute.

33.jpg
I do need to check them out. Girl is cute as hell.
My favorite sufjan album is Michigan. In general, I'm not a huge fan though.
After a few false starts, PJ Harvey has finally clicked with me, thanks to (unsurprisingly) To Bring You My Love.
PJ is brilliant! Good to see it clicked. Helps that I've been on a female vocalist kick lately.

Soma

OK, Sufjan Stevens. What else is best aside from Michigan and (of course) Illinoise? I'm hankering for more of his material. Seven Swans I'm listening to right now, and his latest Electronic album didn't do much for me. Everything else is up for grabs.

I'm in the minority but Age of Adz is my favorite from him.

amnesiac

Listen to his Christmas albums. They are incredible.

Listen to his Christmas albums. They are incredible.

I heard they are pretty damn incredible. Well, it's coming up :)

Since I know his Christian faith influences his work, I'll be spinning it because I'm sick of the pre-produced crap that's shoved down my throat every year. Well, that and church hymns, which are my absolutely favorite.

Dirty Beaches
Dirty_Beaches_-_Badlands_album_cover.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOZFVFF-ATw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0AJoU00LJk
I didn't get a chance to listen to both albums when I got it on the release.mof his new one. Interesting twist to surf rock that I love. The gritty analog sound goes with his voice. I could see tracks from this album being use in films in the near future. It's just gritty. Love the dynamic range is styles as well, but still fits the tone of the album. Listening to this whole album made me feel like Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction when he shoots up dope and drives afterwards. That nice cursing feeling.

-EDIT-I'm actually talking about both records. Badlands and Dirty. Major fuck up, lol.

Vasek45

Neo Member
Just listened to Kodaline and I'd like to say that Kodaline is the worst shit I've heard this year.
The album is cringe-levels of awful.

Speaking of better albums here's my ultimate list of this year's goodness. I've not finished listening to everything that came under my radar this year though and there's one month left but still. In advance I'm sorry for possibly being tasteless and the list being so long. But it's been a incredibly great year in music I think.
Here we go.

"Evil Friends" by Portugal.The Man — album of the year for me

Then in no order:
"Bones of What You Believe" by CHVRCHES
"About Farewell" by Alela Diane
"American Twilight" by Crime & The City Solution
"Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes" eponymous
"Strange Pleasures" by Still Corners
"The Argument" by Grant Hart
"Out of View" by History of Apple Pie
"Waking on a Pretty Daze" by Kurt Vile
"It's a Big World Out There (And I'm Scared)" by Kurt Vile and The Violators
"Days are Gone" by H.A.I.M.
"Above The City" by Club 8
"Machineries of Joy" by British Sea Power
"Summer of Passion" by Crocodiles
"More Than Just a Dream" by Fitz & The Tantrums
"Abra Kadavar" by Kadavar
"Mind Control" by Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats
"Steal The Light" by The Cat Empire
"We Knew It Was Not Going To Be Like This" by Surf City
"Soft Will" by Smith Westerns
"Monkey Minds in the Devil's Time" by Steve Mason
"...Like Clockwork" by QoTSA
"180" by Palma Violets
"Praxis Makes Perfect" by Neon Neon
"Idle No More" by King Khan & The Shrines
"No Blues" by Los Campesinos!
"The Happiness Waltz" by Josh Rouse
"Welcome Oblivion" by How To Destroy Angels
"Monomania" by Deerhunter
"Free Your Mind" by Cut Copy
"The Speed of Things" by Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
"Chelsea Light Moving" by Chelsea Light Moving
"Swisher" by Blondes (doesn't fit this thread but still worth imo)
"Specter at The Feast" by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
"Electric Slave" by Black Joe Lewis and The Honeybears
"Reflektor" by Arcade Fire
"BE" by Beady Eye (still not good enough as Noel's High Flying Birds haha)
"Forever" by Holograms
"Southeastern" by Jason Isbell
"Outrun" by Kavinsky
"Tides End" by Minks
"II" by Moderat
"Lost Sirens" by New Order
"Hobo Rocket" by Pond
"Any Port In Storm" by Scott & Charlene's Wedding
"Minute by Minute" by James Hunter Six
"New Moon" by The Men
"Slow Summits" by The Pastels
"Back To Land" by Wooden Shjips
"Repave" by Volcano Choir
"Antiphon" by Midlake
"Mechanical Bull" by Kings of Leon
"Fellow Travellers" by Shearwater
"Bright Sunny South" by Sam Amidon
"Lousy With Sylvianbriar" by Of Montreal
"MGMT" by MGMT
"Back to Forever" by Lissie
"Big Wheel and Others" by Cass McCombs

faridmon

Just listened to Kodaline and I'd like to say that Kodaline is the worst shit I've heard this year.
The album is cringe-levels of awful.

"Evil Friends" by Portugal.The Man — album of the year for me

I like you already!

I agree with you on both points. Kodaline's Debut was piece of shit, the album must have been as trashy as that was. Surprised to see it selling very well and their gig selling out. Guess the mass does still have a bad taste.
And yes, Evil Friend is a bloody amazing album (I have stated it clearly few pages back) and it is certainly Top 5 album of the year

''Verden er enkel'' by Honningbarna — album of the year for

Then in no order:
"Bones of What You Believe" by CHVRCHES

"Out of View" by History of Apple Pie
"Waking on a Pretty Daze" by Kurt Vile
"Days are Gone" by H.A.I.M.
"Machineries of Joy" by British Sea Power
"Summer of Passion" by Crocodiles
"Monomania" by Deerhunter
"Free Your Mind" by Cut Copy
"Chelsea Light Moving" by Chelsea Light Moving
"Specter at The Feast" by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
"BE" by Beady Eye (still not good enough as Noel's High Flying Birds haha)
"Tides End" by Minks

From your list, those are the ones I have listened to so far and I am surprsied to see some of them even there (but again, that is a personal opinion, don't take it in a bad way)

Then in no order:
"Bones of What You Believe" by CHVRCHES Hate it. I feel its quite Pedantic and, frankly, pretentious.
"Out of View" by History of Apple Pie Yeah, I thought this was a great album. Saw them live, and I had to get it. Great melodic sound coupled with amazing ethereal shoeagaze
"Waking on a Pretty Daze" by Kurt Vile I thought, this OK, some songs were great but others disappointing. I might have found out that I just don't like Kurt Vile in person. Saw him live and I just despise the man for his apathetic attitude. His Psychedelic music is just to barren for me, especially in a age where Psychedelia revival have been produced to a great effect
"Days are Gone" by H.A.I.M. Yeah, this one was good. I don't think its as amazing as everyone else think, but its about time a female driven Garage/Noise music was promoted as heavily as this.
"Machineries of Joy" by British Sea Power Yeah, I am currently listening to this, so I haven't made up my final mind about it (despite getting it day one, since I love BSP). I really love the main songs like Machineries of Joy and Monster of Sunderland since they remind me of their first album, but their ambient ones aren't as good as the ones in Valhalla Dancehall. But again, I haven't listened to it as much as I could, so I am hope I like it more. But yeah, its good.
"Summer of Passion" by Crocodiles Absolutely adore it
"Monomania" by Deerhunter Great, fantastic record, but again it was a given since they know what they are doing.
"Free Your Mind" by Cut Copy Just got it recently, My hype for this one was through the roof (as you can gather from my avatar) but their main song Free Your Mind is surely lacking. I haven't listened to it a lot yet, but from what little I have listened to, it seems like a downgrade from Zonoscope. Although I do love their House, more psychedelic ambient route they took with this album.
"Chelsea Light Moving" by Chelsea Light Moving Not feel in it. But again, I dropped it after the first couple of listen.
"Specter at The Feast" by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club I thought it was pure shit.
"BE" by Beady Eye (still not good enough as Noel's High Flying Birds haha) This one too. Pure Horseshit.
"Tides End" by Minks Love it. Although their previous music had a little more charm and originality than this one, but I am liking what I am hearing so far.

I did not know Black Rebel Motorcycle Club had a new album, thanks!

I personally thought that, not only was it disappointing, but a piece of shit. But again, alot of people aren't agreeing with me, so try it out for yourself.

Vasek45

Neo Member
I like you already!

''Verden er enkel'' by Honningbarna — album of the year for

I personally thought that, not only was it disappointing, but a piece of shit. But again, alot of people aren't agreeing with me, so try it out for yourself.

Gonna listen to yours aoty today or tomorrow.
I'll be honest, some albums sneaked into the list purely on my love for some part of the songs on them while overall they weren't really good enough to get a mention. (Praxis Makes Perfect is a good example of it)

BRMC is simply one of my most favourite bands so while the album wasn't as good as I wanted it to be I still liked it. And some of the songs sounded better live too. But yeah, songs get indistinguishable from each other espescially towards the 2nd part.

BE has such a good Oasis vibe to it and hey, even more than 1 song that is good unlike the first album! (Don't even remember any songs apart from The Roller from it)

On Cut Copy's last album my favourites are "We Are Explorers", "In Memory Capsule", "Dark Corners and Mountain Tops" and "Walking in The Sky." The album should've been called "We Are Explorers" :D I listened around 80 times to this one.

Linius

01. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
02. Arctic Monkeys - AM
03. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
04. Darkside - Psychic
05. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampire of the City
06. Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
07. Atoms For Peace - AMOK
08. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
09. CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
10. Local Natives - Hummingbird

This is my list. Not sure if this is the final draft but I don't think much will change. Trying to keep it down to ten this year. Obviously there are a lot more great records but these are the ten that stood out the most for me.

faridmon

Gonna listen to yours aoty today or tomorrow.
I'll be honest, some albums sneaked into the list purely on my love for some part of the songs on them while overall they weren't really good enough to get a mention. (Praxis Makes Perfect is a good example of it)

BRMC is simply one of my most favourite bands so while the album wasn't as good as I wanted it to be I still liked it. And some of the songs sounded better live too. But yeah, songs get indistinguishable from each other espescially towards the 2nd part.

BE has such a good Oasis vibe to it and hey, even more than 1 song that is good unlike the first album! (Don't even remember any songs apart from The Roller from it)

On Cut Copy's last album my favourites are "We Are Explorers", "In Memory Capsule", "Dark Corners and Mountain Tops" and "Walking in The Sky." The album should've been called "We Are Explorers" :D I listened around 80 times to this one.

Haha, Sum of their parts, huh? fair enough, yeah, liking albums is purely subjective matter to a point that one song could make or break a whole album. I know that feeling bro.

On Cut Copy album, Thanks for sharing your favourite songs on their, I am gonna focus on those to get an idea of the whole album.
My favourite song from it, hands down, is ''Let Me Show your love'' Such an amazing smooth progression of track.

I wonder if I should write my list, even I have so many albums that sits in-front of me and are waiting to be listened.... :/

Punks

The new album by I See Stars is amazing. The music is metal mixed with dubstep and dance music. Screaming verses with catchy pop choruses. To me they are their own genre. The best i can describe it is like putting Linkin Park, Slipknot, One Direction, and Justin Bieber in a blender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrjgyLstGWM

98218552000a7cb539b163347b6828a3.jpg

Top Bottom