• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

I really disliked the mbv album. Way too ambient for their them to go on full abstract mode, and the textural guitar abrasion was just amplified for some reason.

I still think Isn't anything is their best outing

Waxahatchee "Cerulean Salt"

Doesn't happen that often but I'm full on obsessed with this album. Love it.

Yeah, its bloody fantastic. Too bad I haven't listened to it a lot since I have a long backlog to go through, but from the little I heard of it, it was just a pleasurable honest album.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Sup dudes. Kind of some self promotion here, but me and my band (Exes) just recorded an acoustic set. Here's the first one!

Exes || "Ex's"

Hopefully you guys like it!

I knew it sounded like you! I got the EP some time ago from somewhere, probably here. Forgot about it, finally added it to my Google Play and listened to it. I was like "is this Timberwolf?" but you're listed as from LA so I figured you just sounded generic. :(

Futureman

I bought St. Vincent's "Marry Me" vinyl today and the download code doesn't seem to work.

It's for Beggars Banquet... it looks like the last update on their website was 2011... are they not around anymore or something?

it says to go to www.beggarsgroupus.com/promo which doesn't go anywhere.

amnesiac

I bought St. Vincent's "Marry Me" vinyl today and the download code doesn't seem to work.

It's for Beggars Banquet... it looks like the last update on their website was 2011... are they not around anymore or something?

it says to go to www.beggarsgroupus.com/promo which doesn't go anywhere.

From their Wiki:
In 2008, Beggars Banquet became a catalog label only, closed to new signings. Artists that remained on their roster were shifted over to affiliate label, 4AD.
So maybe contact 4AD?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I knew it sounded like you! I got the EP some time ago from somewhere, probably here. Forgot about it, finally added it to my Google Play and listened to it. I was like "is this Timberwolf?" but you're listed as from LA so I figured you just sounded generic. :(

Haha, no need for the sad face. It's definitely me, just started a rock band with a couple friends on top of the timberwolf stuff. I guess I sound unique enough that you knew it was me, so that can be good I guess!

Linius

Some nice releases early in the year with Stephen Malkmus, Temples and Damien Jurado. Especially that last one is great.

It's really good, a big improvement over that last album IMO.

I can't compared it. This record went with a totally different sound than their previous work. You have tracks like "Hi" and "Biggy" having that trip-hop sound. Shit, I think they used a Maschine for the drums in those tracks. This Album is way more moody and less in your face than their previous efforts, and quite honestly very shocking for Warpaint. "Go In" is my favorite track in this whole record but as apparent they went snyth heavy on that track as well, killing that dirty grimy sound they had before. "Love Is to Die" sounded amazing at the Pitchfork Media festival in France, but the studio mix is shit tier compared to that version. That breakdown that the live version had is amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5LNsyzd5_E

Is it great record? Fuck Yeah it is. But is it the typical Warpaint sound, no. I like them even more now and curious what they will do next.

K.Sabot

ALL of the music is coming out this February/March apparently.

Real Estate
Liars
Wild Beasts
CEO
Xiu Xiu
Sun Kil Moon
St. Vincent
The Notwist (holy crap)
The Men
The Hold Steady
Future Islands!

HiResDes

ALL of the music is coming out this February/March apparently.

Real Estate
Liars
Wild Beasts
CEO
Xiu Xiu
Sun Kil Moon
St. Vincent
The Notwist (holy crap)
The Men
The Hold Steady
Future Islands!
The new XIU XIU us god-awful, avoid it all costs, unless you're a sadomasochist

Soma

I'm mostly looking forward to this next month:

IudrxJd.jpg

Servbot24

Banned
^ I'm looking forward to that as well

My most anticipated album of the year is Mew <3

Any other big ones this year? Don't have any hope left in Panda Bear and that's all I can think of

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Cloud-Nothings-Attack-on-Memory2.jpg

Friggin' love this album; listening to it now for the first time in a while. One of my favorites from the last several years.

Linius

&#9829;

How you guys feel about the new Malkmus album? I think its a step down from the last one.

It's just as enjoyable as the previous one to me. Nothing special really, but some Nice tunes.

The new Damien Jurado is amazing how ever.

OK, I have no idea where to post this, but it'll have to be here:

So, I'm headed to a Panic at the Disco concert on Friday with my girlfriend, but have no idea what they got going on as a band. Can you guys recommend some tracks you find good? Thanks!

K.Sabot

So, I'm headed to a Panic at the Disco concert on Friday with my girlfriend, but have no idea what they got going on as a band. Can you guys recommend some tracks you find good? Thanks!

My condolences, bring earplugs.

Futureman

man enough of the fucking NEGATIVITY. We must all join hands and MAKE LOVE.

I'm listening to Parquet Courts right now. Everything I read about them, they seem like they are right up my alley, but I'm not totally digging this album right now.

I honestly thought they died out around 2009.

They had that one song that was in every EA game I guess, not gonna find many fans here.

Just saw Oasis was added to streaming services, all that does is make me confused about how a band who made The Masterplan a b-side compilation could struggle to make a decent album afterwards

Linius

They came up with a few decent albums but I like Blur better. I still want to see Oasis live some time though. Really hope they come back together at some point. Seperate from each other Noel is my favourite.

Zach

Against Me!'s Transgender Dysphoria Blues stream:
http://www.npr.org/2014/01/12/26109...sic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20140112

Singer/songwriter Laura Jane Grace announced about a year and a half ago that she has battled with gender dysphoria and would begin to live as a woman. I've been an Against Me fan for awhile and I think this is one of their best.

I've been ignoring that NPR is streaming it for a couple of days now, but Jesus, I better just give it a listen. I've already ordered the CD from smile.amazon.com (look into it!), but I can't wait.

Edit: A triumph!

Futureman

The Amazon Smile thing is pretty cool, never heard of that.

I got the vinyl at the NYE show and made an OK rip, looking forward to the download code working on Tuesday.

For some reason "Paralytic States" feels out of place tone wise to me, though it is a catchy song... I think it feels a tad generic to me. Otherwise I honestly feel like the whole album is right up there with the best of Laura's writing. Some of the songs have a very classic feel to them ("True Trans"), a few of the intros could be mistaken for a lost Springsteen song from the 80s era. The title song is so damn catchy, "Two Coffins" is haunting as hell, and the fast songs are hard and angry.

good interview here:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2014/01/inside_against_me_transgender_dysphoria_blues.php

Davey Cakes

Just saw Oasis was added to streaming services, all that does is make me confused about how a band who made The Masterplan a b-side compilation could struggle to make a decent album afterwards
Depends on what you consider a "decent album." Oasis' full discography was something I "discovered" while expanding my music listening back in college. I think all of the albums have something to offer and are "decent," particularly the last three.

Be Here Now is definitely a mess, though, especially after What's the Story? which is in my opinion the band's best.

Top Bottom