• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Futureman

do you dudes and dudettes buy vinyl? what do you do if the vinyl doesn't come with a download code? Get the files somehow I guess?

I've been buying MP3 albums lately and considering just doing vinyl going forward. I need those MP3s though.

chris121580

The new album by I See Stars is amazing. The music is metal mixed with dubstep and dance music. Screaming verses with catchy pop choruses. To me they are their own genre. The best i can describe it is like putting Linkin Park, Slipknot, One Direction, and Justin Bieber in a blender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrjgyLstGWM

98218552000a7cb539b163347b6828a3.jpg

To each their own but my God this is abysmal

Valhelm

contribute something
This might be the wrong thread for this kind of music, but is anybody here a fan of Rachel Sermanni?

She's an incredibly accomplished young musician, and many of her songs bring me close to tears every time.

Her music is emotional without being overly sentimental or melancholic, and her beautiful voice really accentuates the softness of her lyrics. It's amazing how innocent yet passionate her songs are, and how her voice can really take you places.

faridmon

do you dudes and dudettes buy vinyl? what do you do if the vinyl doesn't come with a download code? Get the files somehow I guess?

I've been buying MP3 albums lately and considering just doing vinyl going forward. I need those MP3s though.

I don't usually buy Vinyls but I needed up with couple of them in this years Record Store. I was genuinely surprised that they actually do come with download codes and I loved it for that simple reason, but the ones that didn't come with, disappointed me greatly.

The problem with getting the files for some of them is that they are either so rare that, those files aren't available, or are in terrible sound condition since Vinals don't always translate well as an Mp3 file when converted.

The new album by I See Stars is amazing. The music is metal mixed with dubstep and dance music. Screaming verses with catchy pop choruses. To me they are their own genre. The best i can describe it is like putting Linkin Park, Slipknot, One Direction, and Justin Bieber in a blender.

Dear me...

Linius

Recently started listening to Wooden Shjips, such a great band. They make psychedelic rock or some people like to say drone rock. Call it whatever you want but it's a few dudes rocking with awesome beards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFFMLn19LnA

Just check out this 22 minute live session and you'll get the picture.

Linius

Since everyone is quoting that poor guys post I decided to give it a go to see if it's that bad. It is.

That's the weirdest combination of music genres I've heard in one sing I think. It goes from radio dance tunes to dubstep and from grunting to boyband singing.

Can you guys list your top 10 indie pop/rock songs of the year? Need new stuff to listen to and I haven't been keeping proper track of all the new good music this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrjgyLstGWM

98218552000a7cb539b163347b6828a3.jpg

What. The hell. Is this?

Looking forward to the new ††† (the side project of Chino from Deftones) album coming out in February.

The title track Bi†ches Brew sounds good.

Yes! I listened to Crosses' (I have no idea how to type the crosses, haha) EP when they released that a couple years ago, loved it. Didn't know they were releasing a full album. Dig the track.

Edit: I adore this music video. Neat. Creepy.

Steamlord

So I'm listening to Melt Banana's Fetch. Never checked them out before this. PRETTYYYY fucking cool.

Fetch is their cleanest, most accessible album (I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's one of my favorite albums of 2013). You're in for a treat.

chris121580

Can you guys list your top 10 indie pop/rock songs of the year? Need new stuff to listen to and I haven't been keeping proper track of all the new good music this year.
Here are some of my favorites from this year:

Local Natives - Wooly Mammoth
Frightened Rabbit - State Hospital
Atlas Genius - If So
Autre Ne Veut - World War
The Virgins - Impressions of You
Caveman - In The City
Cold War Kids - Miracle Mile
Phoenix - Bourgeois
Randy Rogers Band - Flash Flood
Still Corners - Midnight Drive
Small Black - No Stranger
Rogue Wave - S(a)tan
Vampire Weekend - Step
Cage the Elephant - Halo
Foxygen - San Francisco
The National - Graceless
Empire of the Sun - Concert Pitch
White Lies - First Time Caller
Volcano Choir - Byegone
Holy Ghost! - Dance a Little Closer
Kings of Leon - Tonight
CHVRHCES - Lies
Dr. Dog - Broken Heart
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. - Hiding
Lucius - Hey, Doreen
Arcade Fire - Afterlife
Cut Copy - We Are Explorers
Grizzly Bear - Will Calls
The Killers - Shot At The Night
Phosphorescent - A New Anhedonia

Really saddened at the general lack of Darkside love in the AOTY thread.

My personal dark horse favorite of the year. Golden Arrow and Heart are so fucking good.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Really saddened at the general lack of Darkside love in the AOTY thread.

My personal dark horse favorite of the year. Golden Arrow and Heart are so fucking good.

Been listening to that album a lot lately, definitely going in the top 10. My favorites from this year (all genres)

Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus (aoty)
Savages - Silence Yourself
Speedy Ortiz - Major Arcana
Daft Punk - RAM
Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Baths - Obsidian
Darkside - Psychic
Chvrches - Bones
Youth Lagoon - Wondrous Bughouse

Still have to listen to: QOTSA, Arcade Fire, Forest Swords.

Want to get into The National as well, haven't listened to any of their stuff

Number four on my list, Darkside deserves the love <3

Indie Gaf needs to represent.

I've only seen one or two mentions of Savages, Volcano Choir, Speedy Oritz and Kurt Vile which all had pretty good resonance here.

On the same note I can't believe I missed out on Foxygen - We are the First 21st Century... until now. Might have to edit it and the new Portugal. The Man into my top 20.

Been listening to that album a lot lately, definitely going in the top 10. My favorites from this year (all genres)

Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus (aoty)
Speedy Ortiz - Major Arcana
Daft Punk - RAM
Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze
Deafheaven - Sunbather
Baths - Obsidian
Darkside - Psychic
Chvrches - Bones
Youth Lagoon - Wondrous Bughouse

Still have to listen to: QOTSA, Arcade Fire, Forest Swords.

Want to get into The National as well, haven't listened to any of their stuff

You. I like you. Although I didn't quite get down with Deafheaven and haven't listened to Baths yet.

Linius

I've only seen one or two mentions of Savages, Volcano Choir, Speedy Oritz and Kurt Vile which all had pretty good resonance here.

On the same note I can't believe I missed out on Foxygen - We are the First 21st Century... until now. Might have to edit it and the new Portugal. The Man into my top 20.

You. I like you. Although I didn't quite get down with Deafheaven and haven't listened to Baths yet.

If I were to made a top 20 Kurt Vile, Savages and Foxygen would be in it. Unknown Mortal Orchestra too.

chris121580

I was late on the Foxygen album too and holy shit is it good!

Current Top 10 (all genres) for judgement

Vampire Weekend - MVOTC
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Darkside - Psychic
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Kurt Vile - Wakin...
Volcano Choir - Repave
Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels
Kanye West - Yeezus (sticking to my guns on this one)
Groenland - The Chase

Plus if I can pimp one Album check out Groenland
Groenland-TheChase-300x300.jpg

They're gonna be the next big thing coming out of the Canadian indie scene

Savages, Volcano Choir, Speedy Oritz and Kurt Vile

Savages: good but quite overrated, too straightforward without having the songs to back it up (the second half is weak imho). Still, good sound, great energy, it's in my top fifteen as well.

Volcano Choir: listend only once. vernon has a great voice but here sounds like MOR seventies soft rock, with a production too bright and shiny. Don't really know what to think of it.

Speedy Ortiz: eh. listed only once too, seemed too "light" to be anything more than "nice and inoffensive".

Kurt Vile: listened only to a single, doesn't seem like something that may interest me.

faridmon

I think I have said it before, but I really found Savages very underwhelming. The bad side of Post-punk IMO.
Speaking of Post-Punk, I am currently writing about Cold in Berlin. You guys have to check them out, they are what I want from the genre. Energetic, Opinionated, aggressive, emotional and above all, very funky and have a very social commentary in both music and intentions.
Parquet Courts, likewise, are wonderful to listen to. very easy to get into and quite fulfilling once that short record finishes. Talk about an album that doesn't overstay its welcome.

Futureman

PLEASE CHECK OUT

Bars of Gold - Wheels

if anyone listened to Bear vs. Shark... it's the same singer and I believe some of the members are the same.

Bars-Of-Gold-Wheels-608x608.jpg

faridmon

Going to the Peace Gig in couple of minutes with Drange and SuperFood supporting them. I am excited as hell!

£20 price tag is ridiculous. Last time I am going to O2 Birmingham.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
£20 price tag is ridiculous. Last time I am going to O2 Birmingham.

£20 -> $32.50

....hmm. That's right on the cusp of "too expensive" for me. I saw The Dismemberment Plan, that was $25 plus fees (which added up to around $33), and that was getting a bit high for me.

I'm lucky the bands I like don't have fans, so the shows are usually cheap. TTNG/Mylets/ASIWYFA was only $12. No way am I gonna go see a band for, say, $50.

I'm reviving this thread, but I want some suggestions regarding Dream Pop. I already, of course, know of the Cocteau Twins and love them, but I want more in the genre. What are some of the best in the genre?

I guess if you want to throw Shoegazing in the mix as well, considering that (some) bands definitely are influenced by the genre.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm reviving this thread, but I want some suggestions regarding Dream Pop. I already, of course, know of the Cocteau Twins and love them, but I want more in the genre. What are some of the best in the genre?

I guess if you want to throw Shoegazing in the mix as well, considering that (some) bands definitely are influenced by the genre.

I'm a sucker for Beach House as well. Teen Dream and Bloom are highly recommended if you haven't checked them out already.

Please check out these Haerts songs:
Wings
All the Days
Hemiplegia

Otherwise I'd check out Youth Lagoon, Washed Out and Purity Ring. You might also like Broken Social Scene, it'd be awesome if you did. BSS is one of my favorite bands, shame they haven't put out anything for a while.
Here is the best sunday afternoon record in full If you like that, check out s/t and Forgiveness Rock Record.

Linius

Youth Lagoons first is very dream poppy yeah, great tunes. BSS I would rather say is post rock. But fuck definitions, it's good music regardless :p

Washed Out etc. they mostly call chillwave. So many genres, it hurts my head. If you like Washed Out there's a whole bunch of other dudes that make the same kind of laid back electronic music.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah I know BSS doesn't belong in that category, but Forgot it in People definitely has some dreamy songs. Was one of the first bands I thought of somehow. Fuck definitions/categories indeed

faridmon

£20 -> $32.50

....hmm. That's right on the cusp of "too expensive" for me. I saw The Dismemberment Plan, that was $25 plus fees (which added up to around $33), and that was getting a bit high for me.

I'm lucky the bands I like don't have fans, so the shows are usually cheap. TTNG/Mylets/ASIWYFA was only $12. No way am I gonna go see a band for, say, $50.

To be fair, when I lived in London, most of the gigs I used to go was around £8 - 12 and many of them were also free. That is why I love that City so much. So many bands just drop by to play all around that city.

However, now that I moved back to Birmingham, the prices have been quite steep since this city isn't known for its Alternative scene. What you have is paying around £15 - 20 for bands that have hardly have any interest in coming down here. So I am fucked!

About the gig, it was fantastic ( except for the price). Peace is a Birmingham based band and they cared. The played their heart out in their metro-sexual relaxed ways. and I have to say they are the first band I recall that actually play live music akin to their recorded studio sound. They were immense.

The crowd were not though. Bunch of kids who dressed up weird and happen to spill drinks all over the place in a bitchy way. They did create an atmosphere, but whatever happen to mature people acting like they are into the music rather than kids whom decide to stir shit up?

ah well

Echo Lake might be up your ally:

In dreams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYyiDr4jROE
Another Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZiBvtOkyGM
Even the Blind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJwZfMVcAZ8
Breath Deep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SoqAU-icaY

They only have 1 album so far, so you can dive right in.

chris121580

I strongly suggest checking out a newer band called Still Corners. This should be exactly what you're looking for. The whole album is fantastic. Their album has been severely overlooked by year end lists:

Midnight Drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ky2Sab3nk0

The Trip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ll91YBdVE

Strange Pleasures
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52-OszXrQwU

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Well, this is terrible news. Was always a big fan of his work. Goddamn it.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2013/12/benjamin_curtis_rip.php
We here at DC9 at Night are extremely saddened to report the passing of Benjamin Curtis. Last night in New York, Curtis lost a year-long battle with cancer at the age of 35.

Though a native Oklahoman, Curtis was a Dallas resident and treasured member of the local music scene from the '90s well into the 2000s. In the mid-'90s, Curtis and his brother Brandon were members of local rock outfit UFOFU with Joe Butcher, before Ben left to spend a few years playing drums for Tripping Daisy. In 2000, the Curtis brothers started the spacey three-piece Secret Machines. Their debut full-length project, 2004's Now Here Is Nowhere, broke nationally to much critical acclaim. It will long be remembered as a Dallas classic.

In 2007, Curtis left the band (which by then had relocated to the Empire state) and formed School of Seven Bells with bandmate Alejandra Deheza. After he announced his T-cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma diagnosis in February, musicians from Texas, Oklahoma and New York alike rallied around Curtis. The Polyphonic Spree, The Strokes, and Devendra Banhart were just a few notable names who participated in fundraising events for Curtis this year.

Curtis will be missed tremendously by the city of Dallas. In memoriam, we leave you with a quote from Polyphonic Spree's Tim Delaughter that was published in a collection of messages of hope and support for Curtis in Filter Magazine this October.

"Benny B. Sweet Benny B.

I will always, always cherish those times and the ones still to come."

faridmon

RIP indeed, even if I found their music a bit lacking.

There is a rumour that the new The Horrors album is scheduled to come out in early 2014, maybe February. Apparently it was supposed to come out in September, but they had production difficulties.

Top Bottom