• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Jitters

Even though Wig Out at Jagbags was a little disappointing, Stephen is still my favorite rock star since Thurston doesn't come close because of this free jazz shit. lmao

amnesiac

Depends on what you consider a "decent album." Oasis' full discography was something I "discovered" while expanding my music listening back in college. I think all of the albums have something to offer and are "decent," particularly the last three.

Be Here Now is definitely a mess, though, especially after What's the Story? which is in my opinion the band's best.

Be Here Now could've been a great album if it wasn't so overproduced. A lot of the songs are very strong.

Heathen Chemistry and Don't Believe the Truth are awful albums minus a few songs, IMO. SOTSOG and DOYS are very good.

Also, Damon Albarn just announced a solo album.

e39a9969.jpg

Linius

Slowdive is alive apparently. There's a countdown up. Most likely they'll play Primavera. The countdown ends on the day they announce the line-up.

Yes please.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Cloud Nothings have a new album coming out April 1st; new song

It's fucking great. Can't wait for this.

Linius

I'm happy to see Spoon, Slowdive and Television are touring around that time. I have a little bit of hope Television might be at Le Guess Who (where Neutral Milk Hotel and The Black Lips are already booked) or maybe Best Kept Secret. Some Dutch festivals can profit from this line-up so that's good.

Still need to go to Primavera some time, line-up is great every year.

chris121580

New Broken Bells album is streaming on iTunes. It's really enjoyable and a lot different than their last one. Production is top notch as expected

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm definitely going to Primavera again, the line-up is even better than last year. Incredible. Television performing Marquee Moon! Slint! Speedy Ortiz! Darkside!

Oh man

Getting my ticket soon

Slowdive getting back together for that event is a megaton. Would love to see the band do some studio time in the future (if they are up for it) and record some new content. It's been over two decades coming and I'd love to hear how they interpret their own sound twenty years later.

amnesiac

New Broken Bells album is streaming on iTunes. It's really enjoyable and a lot different than their last one. Production is top notch as expected
As good as their first one, but I disagree about the production. The album is annoyingly compressed, as is every Danger Mouse produced album.

overcast

Not sure if it's been posted anywhere (tried searching).

Info about Swans forthcoming album here.

I'll put some notes here:
-Comes out May 12th.
-Annie Clark provides backing vocals on a few (?) tracks.
-Called 'To Be Kind'.
-Runtime over 2 hours.

I still haven't listened to any Swans, but it's important news.

Side note: I want to see Slowdive so bad. I wish I could go to Primavera :[

Alpende

I'm not sure if it's allowed to discuss leaked albums but I'll take my chances.

So, Beck's new album Morning Phase is out there. What does everyone think of it? It's a bit slow in my opinion but not bad by any means.

I'll have to listen to it more once it officially comes out.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I saw Neko Case last night and she was great. I almost drove to St. Louis a couple months ago to see her, but I couldn't make it work at the time. Lo and behold, she announced a show here in Indy just a couple weeks later.

Thao & the Get Down Stay Down were the opening act. I'd never heard of them, but they were kind of incredible. I'm definitely a fan.

Davey Cakes

Been listening to the new Notwist and Warpaint albums. Both are pretty good.
I tried out Notwist's "Neon Golden" and it's solid. Also went for both Warpaint albums and I enjoy them both to an extent, though as people have noted they're quite different so the new one will obviously be divisive. Neither of these acts really blow me away thus far but I can recommend them.

Other recent listens, either old-ish or new-ish:

Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow (really like this; it's an easy-going album but David Sylvian just has a consistent and comforting listenability)

Snowbird - Moon (has a bit too safe of a sound to it, which makes it somewhat boring to me)

Sarah Jarosz - Build Me Up from Bones (this is arguably as good or better than Follow Me Down which I really liked. Recommended for fans of folk/bluegrass)

Low - The Invisible Way (if you like Low, you'll like this. I like Low so....)

CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe (mostly went for it based on recommendations in this thread; I definitely like some of it but alternative electro-pop is always iffy with me especially if it sounds like it's trying to be radio-friendly).

Other misc listening:

PJ Harvey - Is This Desire? and To Bring You My Love
Prefab Sprout - Crimson/Red (and pretty much the rest of the discography, highest recommendation goes to Jordan: The Comeback)
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
Szjerdene - Patchwork EP
Japan - Tin Drum
Jenny Lewis - Rabbit Fur Coat and Acid Tongue (these are actually re-visits, but I rather enjoy both albums. Wasn't thrilled with what I head of Rilo-Kiley but Jenny on her own works for me)

Trying out different things, getting positive to mixed results. It's all fun though.

Nothing upcoming that I'm really looking forward to other than Beck's Morning Phase.

Linius

Decided to give Warpaints debut a go since they'll be all over the festivals this summer probably. It's not bad actually, dunno why I always ignored them but it got some nice tunes.

Listened to Becks new album this morning, gonna need to listen to that one more often to know how I feel about it.

So far I really like Temples and Damien Jurado this year. Stephen Malkmus new album is also fun. Mostly looking forward to new albums from Damon Albarn, Real Estate, Cloud Nothings, Elbow, Diiv and Mac DeMarco.

And I finally bought my ticket to Le Guess Who? May Day. So I'm gonna see Neutral Milk Hotel. Other interesting names on the bill as of right now are Black Lips and The War on Drugs. But since it's an indoor festival spread over multiple locations in a big city I'll have to wait for the timetable to see what's possible. But it's surely a great start of the festival summer I reckon.

Davey Cakes

Mostly looking forward to new albums from Damon Albarn, Real Estate, Cloud Nothings, Elbow, Diiv and Mac DeMarco.
YES. I nearly forgot about this. Elbow is one of my recent favorite listens.

The Leaders of the Free World and Build a Rocket Boys! in particular are stellar.

Jitters

What do you mean exactly? Is there a stream of the new album somewhere? Not sure if I follow what you're saying :p

Yeah, didn't they perform it live in its entirety? I think their is a video somewhere, unless I'm thinking of some other band.

Linius

Futureman

I really liked that the last Cloud Nothings sounded pretty harsh and angry. I was a little disappointed to read that it's happier and a new producer. I loved "Attack on Memory." Still looking forward to the new one.

HiResDes

I really liked that the last Cloud Nothings sounded pretty harsh and angry. I was a little disappointed to read that it's happier and a new producer. I loved "Attack on Memory." Still looking forward to the new one.

Yeah the world is still shit, I want more songs like No Future, not down with happy Cloud Nothings really

Jitters

Just found out there is going to be a new Trust album this year. Awwwww yiss.

e:^^ Yeah, the anger is what makes me dig em so much.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

I don't really like anything they did after ST&C, but that's okay; I love that fucking album and am psyched for this. I hope they play some stuff from Madonna, too.

gabbo

I don't really like anything they did after ST&C, but that's okay; I love that fucking album and am psyched for this. I hope they play some stuff from Madonna, too.

Anything from Tao of the Dead, especially 'Strange News from Another Planet' would be very welcome. Definitely going to have to get tickets for their show at lee's palace

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Anything from Tao of the Dead, especially 'Strange News from Another Planet' would be very welcome. Definitely going to have to get tickets for their show at lee's palace

Tao of the Dead is amazing, such a great return to form. Pure Radio Cosplay <3

Top Bottom