• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

I hadn't realised that this band got huge.

It's really weird.

Pretty sure we have a decent number of mutual friends.

Well I wouldn't say huge. I guess there are a few hundred people in The Netherlands who know them. They have been picked up by Kicking the Habit over here, they have quite some readers: http://kickingthehabit.nl/2013-11-15/eagulls-tough-luck-debuut-in-maart/

And they'll be warming up the crowd for Speedy Ortiz in Amsterdam this month. So that's an awesome double bill. If I didn't had work that day I would have gone there.

Well I wouldn't say huge. I guess there are a few hundred people in The Netherlands who know them. They have been picked up by Kicking the Habit over here, they have quite some readers: http://kickingthehabit.nl/2013-11-15/eagulls-tough-luck-debuut-in-maart/

And they'll be warming up the crowd for Speedy Ortiz in Amsterdam this month. So that's an awesome double bill. If I didn't had work that day I would have gone there.

They played Letterman, for a band that has roots in the English punk scene that's massive

Enron

Banned
This festival is happening not 3 miles or so from my house. Wow.

THE 'MATS, MOTHERFUCKERS!

WebPoster.jpg

Linius

Not too bad. Mostly jelly for The Replacements. So far nothing in Europe from them :/

And I hope Modest Mouse will return to us, I was going to two festivals where they should have been playing but they canceled their entire European leg last year.

Enron

Banned
Posted this in the Feb." what are you listening to" thread, posting here as well. I've gone through the album 3 times now and I like it even more with each listen. Pretty close to perfect imo.

Favorite song is the opener, the 1980s-ish "It's Only Dancing" about a friendzoned guy.

Early contender for AotY. Just got it today and its great

Jeremy Messersmith - Heart Murmurs

albumcover_JM.png

Been a fan of this dude for a while, this is his major label debut on Glassnote Records (same label as Mumford and Sons). You might have heard his "A Girl, A Boy, and a Graveyard" which was featured in a scene from Chuck. Gone through the album once now and it's his best work yet imo. If you like well crafted pop songs, this one is for you.

jumper

Anything from Tao of the Dead, especially 'Strange News from Another Planet' would be very welcome. Definitely going to have to get tickets for their show at lee's palace

Same here, loved Tao of the Dead, especially Strange News (i.e. Tao of the Dead part 2).

Speaking of which, they also released Tao of the Dead Part 3, which is a 20 minute track made up of 5 or so different 'movements' a la Strange news. They did this via Pledge Music (which is how I was able to hear it), but I think it may see a regular release as well.

Ticket arrived for St. Vincent yesterday! Can't wait it's in 2 weeks should be awesome, my 2014 concert calendar is starting to fill up haven't been to one since before Christmas, way too long

St Vincent - Feb 22
Tvvins - Feb 27
The Jezabels - Mar 1
Chvrches - Mar 5
Haim - Mar 10
Wild Beasts - Mar 29
Kurt Vile - Apr 7
Arcade Fire - Jun 29
Arctic Monkeys - Jul 12
The National - Jul 18

I remember people recommending Spoon a while ago, well I listened and just purchased A Series of Sneaks on vinyl last week

Anyone on here on Rdio? Would love to follow some more people with good taste, getting One Direction off the top of the heavy rotation would be nice!

faridmon

my schedule:

Little Comets
The Institute, Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 going
FEB12

Lite
The Flapper, Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 going
FEB13

Speedy Ortiz
Hare and Hounds, Birmingham, United Kingdom
9 going
FEB19

Drenge
Hare and Hounds, Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 going
FEB21

Toy
The Rainbow, Birmingham, United Kingdom
8 going
FEB22

Fat White Family
The Sunflower Lounge, Birmingham, United Kingdom

Linius

Let me know how Speedy Ortiz are Farid, still in doubt if I should go check them out.

Here's what I have planned so far for 2014

0Nx8M9u.png

A Dutch band from the nineties (and early zeroes) doing a reunion tour. Great tunes.

LGtfBzK.png

oji9uXj.png

5ei1rQM.png

The bands in the image are the ones confirmed so far. More to come.

dPTOmHl.png

5eYpMvq.png

yN9GIbk.png

Here's the line-up so far. Still 50+ acts to be announced.

aPC9dfp.png

Nothing announced yet.

YLni5b5.png

4SFGv37.png

Here's the line-up so far. The first names were announced earlier this week, still loads more to come.

And then there's Down the Rabbit Hole, a new festival over here. No ticket yet but I'm interested so far. Just waiting some more to see what other bands they will book. For now it's looking to be right up my alley with Damon Albarn, Electric Eye, The Black Keys and more.

Looking to be an exciting year again :D

Mad jealous of the CHVRCHES show. I do get to catch Arcade Fire in march though so at least I have that going.

Anyway just found this thread for some reason so, awesome.

Linius

Was catching up on some 2013 tunes. And damn, Electric Eye and Elephant Stone made some lovely psychedelic trippy albums. Elephant Stone more poppy, but Electric Eye comes at you with songs that average a minimum of six minutes in length.

And I'm really enjoying Cheatah's debut at the moment.

chris121580

Was catching up on some 2013 tunes. And damn, Electric Eye and Elephant Stone made some lovely psychedelic trippy albums. Elephant Stone more poppy, but Electric Eye comes at you with songs that average a minimum of six minutes in length.

And I'm really enjoying Cheatah's debut at the moment.

Yes, that Cheetah debut is fantastic

faridmon

Just came back from the Speedy Ortiz' gig. Bloody hell, were they shitty (IMO). Very unprofessional and quite frankly, dull performance. Their best tracks were the the cover tracks they did of Tony Iommi and Black Sabath songs. I am gonna try and write a more lengthy impression, later.

But I have to say their supporter band were fucking amazing. To a point that I had to buy their album. They are called Joanna Gruesome.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just came back from the Speedy Ortiz' gig. Bloody hell, were they shitty (IMO). Very unprofessional and quite frankly, dull performance. Their best tracks were the the cover tracks they did of Tony Iommi and Black Sabath songs. I am gonna try and write a more lengthy impression, later.
I saw them open for Pissed Jeans a year or so ago and I wasn't impressed at all. For whatever reason, though, I gave the LP a shot when it came out and loved it. Just not a very good live band.

Futureman

But I have to say their supporter band were fucking amazing. To a point that I had to buy their album. They are called Joanna Gruesome.

I listen to the Joanna Gruesome album a lot on Spotify. Don't really like Speedy.

Linius

That's too bad :(

Valhelm

contribute something
My favorite artist, Colin Meloy of the Decemberists, has recently been performing a new song called Philomena. It's a lot weirder than most of his more recent music, but I quite like it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Constantines are back together for some shows this summer. If they play Seattle, I can die happy. If they start recording again, then maybe rock music can actually be saved; if they start recording again and turn into the fucking National, I'm gonna be super depressed.
I got so hyped when I heard this, but I'll be on edge until I know for sure they're gonna play Boston. I saw them open for shitty nu-Don Caballero right after Shine a Light came out and would LOVE to see them again after such a long time (I just checked and that was 11 years ago... Christ I feel old). I didn't have nearly the appreciation for that album back then that I do now; I was just a completely different person.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This is awesome Jed, good job dood!

*pre-order'd with a really dumb message >_>*

Thanks a lot man, we really appreciate it :)

edit: fun fact I chose the purple design pretty much only because my mrs likes purple. But I'm digging on it too, it's nice a lurid :) thanks again for your support. We'll get down your way one of these days!

Fjordson

For any Mac DeMarco fans, his new album is out in the wild and it's pretty great.

I hope just mentioning leaked albums is okay. Don't ban me =[

vatstep

These guys are kind of a shameless MBV clone, but this song is awesome.

Nothing - "Endlessly"

Album comes out in two weeks.

chris121580

Oh man, The Menzingers have a new album coming out this year! If you've never heard the song Gates, you owe it to yourself to listen. One of my all time favorites:

"Two years ago, punk kids everywhere took notice of a little band from Scranton, PA called the Menzingers. It was hard not to. Their third album, On The Impossible Past, had just been released and stunned everyone. Its perfect symmetry of chaos and harmony earned it positive reviews across the board. Plus, a pretty distinct cover image featuring a close-up shot of a woman’s bra-less cleavage made it sort of hard to forget. Even the too-cool-for-school punks scrambled to catch up. “Oh, yeah yeah, the Mensinkers. Totally. I always listened to them. The Metznenggers are my favorite band. The one with the boobs on the cover.”

The only problem was, the band set an incredibly high bar for themselves. How would they go about topping something which many people will forever believe to be their best work? Well, if their new album, Rented World, is any indicator, the answer is: very, very fucking forcefully. The Zingers don’t seem to be too concerned with matching anyone’s standards or expectations on their fourth album. It is distinctly their own, loaded with all kinds of new ways to define their sound and to top their impossible past."

In Remission:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZscWmIizzw

Gates
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1aWag0Nl9E&feature=kp

Oh man, The Menzingers have a new album coming out this year! If you've never heard the song Gates, you owe it to yourself to listen. One of my all time favorites:

"Two years ago, punk kids everywhere took notice of a little band from Scranton, PA called the Menzingers. It was hard not to. Their third album, On The Impossible Past, had just been released and stunned everyone. Its perfect symmetry of chaos and harmony earned it positive reviews across the board. Plus, a pretty distinct cover image featuring a close-up shot of a woman’s bra-less cleavage made it sort of hard to forget. Even the too-cool-for-school punks scrambled to catch up. “Oh, yeah yeah, the Mensinkers. Totally. I always listened to them. The Metznenggers are my favorite band. The one with the boobs on the cover.”

The only problem was, the band set an incredibly high bar for themselves. How would they go about topping something which many people will forever believe to be their best work? Well, if their new album, Rented World, is any indicator, the answer is: very, very fucking forcefully. The Zingers don’t seem to be too concerned with matching anyone’s standards or expectations on their fourth album. It is distinctly their own, loaded with all kinds of new ways to define their sound and to top their impossible past."

In Remission:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZscWmIizzw

Gates
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1aWag0Nl9E&feature=kp

Man, really? Gates is the song you go for? This is clearly the best song from OtIP

The Obituaries is pretty great too.

Not too hot on the new song, but I have a weird thing with the 'Zingers, where I don't think an album's that good until the next album comes out and I don't think that album's that good but think the first one is. So I'm fully expecting to now be super into OtIP when the new one comes out.

I really fucking love A Lesson In The Abuse Of Information Technology though. Song and album. Also Chamberlain Waits has a song with Brendan Kelly who is fucking incredible.

Also they're all pretty nice guys from the brief bit of hanging out with them I did. Fucking incredible live too.

This went on for longer than expected.

chris121580

Man, really? Gates is the song you go for? This is clearly the best song from OtIP

The Obituaries is pretty great too.

Not too hot on the new song, but I have a weird thing with the 'Zingers, where I don't think an album's that good until the next album comes out and I don't think that album's that good but think the first one is. So I'm fully expecting to now be super into OtIP when the new one comes out.

I really fucking love A Lesson In The Abuse Of Information Technology though. Song and album. Also Chamberlain Waits has a song with Brendan Kelly who is fucking incredible.

Also they're all pretty nice guys from the brief bit of hanging out with them I did. Fucking incredible live too.

This went on for longer than expected.
Burn After Writing is also great but Gates was the song that hooked me on the band.

Top Bottom