• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

Oh so nice, Cloud Nothings are performing in Amsterdam with Cheatahs as support act. That's a double bill for me.

And that together PANGEA debut LP is niiiice.

And I saw Real Estate yesterday, they performed a bunch of new songs and it sounded great. Excited for the new album!

Jitters

I know a lot of people probably don't keep up with all their new stuff because none of it has been too memorable, but the new Guided By Voices album is tight.

Linius

I know a lot of people probably don't keep up with all their new stuff because none of it has been too memorable, but the new Guided By Voices album is tight.

Yeah, I've been reading that. Gonna try it tonight. And on their other recent releases there were always a few songs that made it worth a listen.

Jitters

Yeah, I've been reading that. Gonna try it tonight. And on their other recent releases there were always a few songs that made it worth a listen.

They felt half-assed.

I'm super stoked for the new Fucked Up album. Been listening to David Comes to Life and now I am HYPED.

tm24

Oh so nice, Cloud Nothings are performing in Amsterdam with Cheatahs as support act. That's a double bill for me.

Oh man that is a good double bill. I saw Cloud Nothings open for Japandroids and that was an amazing show. When is the new album dropping?

Linius

Already in love with the new Real Estate album. April's Song is so good.

I really need them to show up again over here. Luckily they're at Primavera and touring more of Europe around that time so it's likely that they'll come back here soon. Oh and guitar player Matt (also Ducktails) got zapped in Amsterdam yesterday the band tweeted. "110 volts all up in his grill. He took it like a champ though, all is well". He played perfectly fine on stage yesterday hours after the incident :p

Oh man that is a good double bill. I saw Cloud Nothings open for Japandroids and that was an amazing show. When is the new album dropping?

March 26 should be the release date.

Fjordson

Still listening to the new Mac DeMarco album. Can't wait to get a physical copy of this.

Also heard the new Real Estate album. It's solid, if a bit...uneventful I guess. I dunno, some of the songs blend together (though maybe that sort of vibe is intended).

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Saw this posted elsewhere and got a good laugh from it. Why do people read Pitchfork again?

Feb 3rd:
7lZRL5R.png

Today:
aFGS7zI.png

Linius

I'm liking the new Cloud Nothings album. Think it's gonna go on repeat for the coming week. Need to buy me a ticket to their gig now. It's been almost two years now since I last saw them.

big ander

If anyone wants some...I'd probably call it art-punk-alt-pop? Check out Cold Foamers: http://coldfoamers.bandcamp.com/ Try Rebecca or Time For Some Awesome Breaking and Entering. Reminds me of Pavement a tiny bit, but with vocals more fitting of modern day punk/emo dudes. (Speaking of Pavement, I recently listened to Terror Twilight for the first time in years [and probably the second or third time ever, honestly] and it's not that bad?)

New Cloud Nothings sounds samey throughout. but in a good way? The production gives it a cramped, spiky sound that Attack on Memory didn't have. That record was really huge and cloudy and layered and I loved it for that. Here And Nowhere Else is a complete turnaround in that respect, and I think it helps a lot on the first listen. Because these songs aren't that big a departure from Attack, but the sequencing and production skews their effect in an interesting way. Rather than specific moments of paranoia or electricity (the breakdown in Wasted Days, Stay Useless), the entire record has a constant nervousness. Gonna take a couple listens.

Tomorrow's Hits I can pretty much decide on after just one though: fun record. The Men have always been at their best when they're more blatantly ripping other rockers and having a good time of it. And if this is their Springsteen record then I'm satisfied. It probably won't ever reach the level of New Moon for me, and I'm not sure I'll ever have a soft spot for it the way I do parts of Immaculada and Leave Home, but I'll be playing it a bunch while driving and doing nothing this year.

Have people discussed this Hotelier album in here? saw people going ape over it early last month and I got it immediately and was disappointed. Now've listened to it once or twice more and still don't really get it. It's not bad, but musically I think it's stale and passionless. That's been my thing with a lot of the emo I've heard, even supposed classics like American Football. Only current band from that scene that I've consistently enjoyed is The World is a Beautiful Place &IANLATD.

also: the new Real Estate album is a Real Estate album. Morning Phase is dece but I'm more excited for what Beck has coming later this year maybe. and Angel Olsen is queen.
Saw this posted elsewhere and got a good laugh from it. Why do people read Pitchfork again?
Heh like Jitters said one thing is that p4k scores are actually by committee-- they decide on a score as a group and then nominate whichever writer they think's best for that album review.

and the other thing is that cohen...I feel like he goes back on opinions a lot (which people should be allowed to do), but his reviews read like last words. dunno. He recommends decent music.

And that's my thing with pitchfork, I still think that when used as one of a half dozen blogs you follow, it's great for discovering music.

overcast

Going on a plane this week, what Portishead album should I put on my phone for dissecting?

Never listened to them. Reason I want one album, is because I tend to try listening to one album then give time before overplaying one band.

Linius

Just go with Dummy then. It's their debut and probably their best. Though I like all three records a lot. And if you get to like them be sure to pick a live date if they come near your area, so good.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
New tUnE-yArDs album coming on May 6th!

chris121580

Man, the new Real Estate album is just so fantastic. A great mix of their last album with the most recent Ducktails album. Love it

big ander

Damn this cloud nothings record just...it has fuckin teeth. Whenever it threatens to let up it twists again. Better and better with each play.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Menzingers are great. My favs from the last record were "Good Things," "Sun Hotel" and "Casey."

this song is SO good.

Cateyana - Hot Dad Calendar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXou1u2Oa5g

I've been listening to that Cayetana track for a week straight, despite one of my ears being out of commission. Damn, Futureman, thanks for posting it. Those girls need to put out an album, quick-like.

Valhelm

contribute something
After about a year and a half of waiting, San Francisco-based orchestral rock group The Family Crest has released their phenomenal second album Beneath the Brine.

It's two dollars off on iTunes. Buy it.

Jitters

Perfect Pussy has a great band name, but they just sound like a chick version of METZ and the many other noise rock bands that seem to be so popular right now. Nothing setting them apart other than having a girl in the front, which you can barely hear anyway. Bet they play a hell of a show though.

I still don't like Real Estate. Its like they have too much jangle in their jangle pop. Zaps all the humanity from the songs.

Linius

I think a lot of these bands like Metz or together PANGEA and Eagulls this year sound alike but they do entertain me. Though I don't really care for Perfect Pussy, that high pitched voice of which I don't even understand what she's singing is a bit too much for my taste.

Tonight I'm going to see Daryll-Ann by the way. A Dutch band on reunion tour this year after being absent since 2004. I'm guessing no one here not from The Netherlands knows these guys so I'll just post a view links to songs for you guys to hear. We have quite a few cool bands but none of them ever seems to be able to make it abroad. Though all the garbage emo metal stuff we produce is touring world wide :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Y7AzZBFU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cr5FcZairQ

Top Bottom