• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

tch

Any impressions on La Gargola? I'm REALLY digging it after a few listens. At first I was a little let down but it really grows on you. Also listening to Wolfmothers New Crown. That album came out of nowhere. As a fan of Wolfmother I LOVED cosmic egg. This is pretty different from that, but there's some great tracks. Anything along these lines I should check out?

faridmon

source tags and codes is one of my favorite albums too....

i knew they were always HIGHLY regarded for their live performances but every time i checked out their live stuff on youtube i never really got the rave; i'd even say most of their live stuff on youtube sounds like crap (and not just because of the recording devices).

their sets two drummers were the only times i thought they gave a genuinely good live performance.

only basing this off of youtube.

I am talking personally. I know their albums are well regarded and they are supposed to be very good indeed, but from what I have listen to from Codes, It didn't grab me as much as I though it would. Maybe that was coming off their live performance few years back and ended up trying their albums subsequently (Why can't some bands sound like their live performances :( )

I just thought they felt raw and genuine. Like they enjoyed what they were doing, the quality wasn't the best (to be frank, the venue they played in didn't had the best equipment) but they created atmosphere and the drummers were all awesome.

Maybe, I'll listen to their recordings a bit more in the future, but I dropped it as soon as I got new albums (Liars' WIXIW was the hotness at the time)

EDIT: I have to add that, I am not that into Post-Hardcore, so maybe that is why. I was lucky to see them live because the tickets was actually not too bad pricewise considering what I have heard of the drummers before.

Any impressions on La Gargola? I'm REALLY digging it after a few listens. At first I was a little let down but it really grows on you. Also listening to Wolfmothers New Crown. That album came out of nowhere. As a fan of Wolfmother I LOVED cosmic egg. This is pretty different from that, but there's some great tracks. Anything along these lines I should check out?

I had to google it to find out that its an album, not a band...

Never listened to Chevelle before. Sounds like I should check them out!

Joe

so this is going to sound crazy but hear me out...

i went on twitter the other day and searched for "ratm" because im a huge rage fan and it was a trip to me to see teenage girls tweeting about ratm.

well i came across a discussion with two dudes...

dude1: congrats to @dude2 for getting the ratm winter tour photographer gig!
dude2: thanks @dude1, its a dream come true!

i thought nothing of it because i figured it couldn't be true but it still lingered in my mind until the next day. so about 24 hours later i went back and did the same exact search and the tweets weren't there anymore. they were deleted, and i know my search skills are pretty good. plus there isn't a MASSIVE amount of ratm tweets within 24-48 hours to sift through.

this was a couple weeks ago but i feel like i should share it. if there's a reunion winter tour you heard it here first.

faridmon

...OMG is there a new Horrors album out? Skying and Primary Colours are two of my most favorite albums.

Well, its officially coming out in a month, but it has leaked and the word is that its rather good. Very Skying-like rather than Primary Colours, so expect very reverb heavy pop tunes with slightly Post-Punk revival undertones and shoegaze vocals.

But yeah, I loved Skying as well, so I really can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy. I have been waiting for it a really long time.

faridmon

I remember this conversation :lol

But to be honest, I wouldn't expect you to like this band. I think they're a bit off your taste from what I know about the stuff you listen to.

Haha,

On this particular song, yeah, unfortunately, I am not into this piano rock kind of music. A bit too drawn-out for my taste, so yeah you are on the ballpark! :p

On another note, Sleeper Agent have released their new album ''About Last night'' and new direction of their sound is quite an understatement. They used to be a very Post-Punk revivalist band with the occasional Alternative rock mixed in and a lot of Garage mentality. Their new album is very synth-alt heavy album with the occasional glimpse of their previous style sprinkled here and there. The Main Vocalist Alex Kendall have also developed a rather soul-like vocals over the years as opposed to her Punk attitude she used to have.
Listening to the new tracks from the new album, I rather liek the new direction. It has focus and confidence which I thought they lacked before.

Waves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDdMGg9OkIc

Kansoku

It's kinda outsite of the theread, but does some one know some Folk bands that are similar to Of Monsters And Man and Lucy Rose?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
It's kinda outsite of the theread, but does some one know some Folk bands that are similar to Of Monsters And Man and Lucy Rose?

First Aid Kit. Also, while they're not folk, Lucy Rose provides a lot of backing vocals for Bombay Bicycle Club.

listening to the manic street preachers first record

really weird cross-section of a guns n roses/80s cock rock aesthetic and alternative rock/post-punk songwriting

credit to nicky wire/richey edwards for making a catchy chorus out of the names of banks

Kansoku

I think you'll dig Boy & Bear, The Dodos, Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes.

First Aid Kit. Also, while they're not folk, Lucy Rose provides a lot of backing vocals for Bombay Bicycle Club.

Not as alternative as those, but Highasakite combine Chamber Pop with Folk in a very exotic way. I think you might enjoy them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDpY4x4cV4I
https://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLQqTaSg-nI
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GZHB0v7y6w

Thanks, will check them out.

big ander

I need something in the vein of "Red Hot Chili Peppers" or "Cage the Elephant."
Marnie Stern, Hold Steady, Wavves, Pink Frost, Divine Fits, King Krule, Wolf Alice, The National, The So So Glos, The Thermals, The Men

Think those might apply but "alternative" is super broad so there's a lot to recommend

zeemumu

Marnie Stern, Hold Steady, Wavves, Pink Frost, Divine Fits, King Krule, Wolf Alice, The National, The So So Glos, The Thermals, The Men

Think those might apply but "alternative" is super broad so there's a lot to recommend

That's fine. I'll solve the maze, I just need to know where the entrance is, ahaha. Thank you for your recommendations.

Futureman

That's fine. I'll solve the maze, I just need to know where the entrance is, ahaha. Thank you for your recommendations.

people give Pitchfork crap all the time but you don't have to buy into their hype or even look at the review scores. BUT they cover a shitload of amazing bands, so I would just search through there for a bit w/ Spotify open and discover a shitload of great new bands :)

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
If we're on the subject of music discovery: I started a little Tumblr wherein I go to the record store, grab some clearance CDs that look interesting, and review them after one listen. I've come across some completely random stuff that way, and some of it's actually good.

big ander

people give Pitchfork crap all the time but you don't have to buy into their hype or even look at the review scores. BUT they cover a shitload of amazing bands, so I would just search through there for a bit w/ Spotify open and discover a shitload of great new bands :)

This too. Yeah the thing with p4k is that people score-bitch. And admittedly their whole strategy for who they give bnm is geared towards fanning internet hype and shit. But if you just check them a couple times a week for new tracks, or listen to records that they give a 6-8 to that sound like they'd be up your alley, you'll find good stuff.

That's true of The Needle Drop too, I think. His YT channel is organized pretty well to guide you to stuff in genres you might like (and he loved Cage the Elephant's last record so he'll probably direct you well!).

Linius

That Needle Drop guy is so annoying, I can't stand to watch his videos most of the time. Though his opinion is a bit 50/50 on par with mine from what I've seen. He gives me the feeling though that he sometimes downtalks a record just to go against the hype. And his yearlist is definitely one in the category "look at me being different than other blogs".

big ander

That Needle Drop guy is so annoying, I can't stand to watch his videos most of the time. Though his opinion is a bit 50/50 on par with mine from what I've seen. He gives me the feeling though that he sometimes downtalks a record just to go against the hype. And his yearlist is definitely one in the category "look at me being different than other blogs".

see like...people say this, but his reviews are perfectly reasonable. and he's often right with the consensus. and he's never taking his reviews as seriously as /mu/ types like to treat them. I mean, it's actually his opinion, but every one of his videos explicitly acknowledges that there are other opinions.

Dude plays a joke roommate character in his videos, he's having fun and talking about music in an easy-going way.

Linius

It's easy to swim against the tide and say there are other opinions too. It would be worse if he wouldn't acknowledge other people are allowed to have opinions too :p

But I don't want to go too much off topic, good for him he's quite successful with videos about niche music. I can't think of another video blogger who does the same thing as him with such an audience.

Danielsan

I find myself disagreeing with Anthony most of the time as his tastes tend to differ strongly from mine. Nevertheless I think his reviews are great. He always articulates well why an album does or doesn't grab him.

This might have come up before, but I'm curious to hear which sites everyone keeps an eye on in order to stay in the know of the latest music news. I have to admit that I primarily visit Pitchfork and The Needle Drop. I also have Stereogum in my bookmarks, but I hardly visit. I'm not a big fan of their site layout.

big ander

I find myself disagreeing with Anthony most of the time as his tastes tend to differ strongly from mine. Nevertheless I think his reviews are great. He always articulates well why an album does or doesn't grab him.

This might have come up before, but I'm curious to hear which sites everyone keeps an eye on in order to stay in the know of the latest music news. I have to admit that I primarily visit Pitchfork and The Needle Drop. I also have Stereogum in my bookmarks, but I hardly visit. I'm not a big fan of their site layout.

beyond p4k and needle drop, I look at Disco Naivete and no fear of pop and Portals. But more than that I follow specific labels of music. Hardly Art, Other People, Constellation, Kranky, Tri Angle, Orchid Tapes. When a label has a specific niche you can trust that each release will be pretty good at least.

Anthony is a very articulate reviewer with some flat out wrong opinions.

4/10'ed Trouble will find me. And gave Yeezus a worse review then MC...HG.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.

Yeah, I nearly felt the same way when I watched his Salad Days review. But I couldn't argue against his points so i sucked it up. I just think the album is way better than a 5/10 and i'm not even close to being alone in that sentiment.

Linius

Scrolling trough some of his recent reviews the 50/50 thing is stil going. Wild Beasts, Future Islands and The War on Drugs I can mostly agree on. Though I'd score those last two rather an 8 than a 7. But he's completely off on MacDeMarco, Real Estate and Temples for me. But yeah, no point in arguing about some dudes opinion.

In the end reviews don't really matter anyways. Surely if an album gets crushed everywhere you might wanna consider staying away from it. But in every other case I'll always check stuff out if it's up my alley. To get to know new bands you'll have to rely on hypes amongst fellow listeners or reviewers but you'll find out soon enough if the hype is justified.

Top Bottom