• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

Listened to Ukiyogunjou and loved, and I like what I hear, thanks.

All is well again in this world.

While I loved the previous one saudargia, it felt a bit too lo-fi for me, which was worrying but Ukiyogunjou just nullified that fear. Such a great, well balanced album.

Futureman

been on a Modest Mouse binge lately.

never realized how wild Brock is. What a cool dude. Been checking out his Ugly Casanova project, I wanna watch the movie he did the soundtrack for (180° South).

top 3 albums...

1. Good News
2. Moon/Antarctica
3. Lonesome Crowded West

Steamlord

Need shoegaze recommendations! I love My Bloody Valentine but don't really know where to go after that.

I posted some way back on page 10, so here it is again with a few additions. Some are more dream pop or psychedelic, but they're at least tangentially related to shoegaze.

My Bloody Valentine
Slowdive
Swirlies
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Spacemen 3
Lush
(early) Stereolab
His Name Is Alive
Curve
SPC ECO
Astrobrite
Cocteau Twins
Yo La Tengo
Lovesliescrushing
Th' Faith Healers
Flying Saucer Attack
Secret Shine
Teenage Filmstars
Drop Nineteens
The Telescopes
Tokyo Shoegazer
Swallow
Alison's Halo
Fleeting Joys
A.R. Kane
Lilys
LSD and the Search for God
Pinkshinyultrablast
Whirr
Mass of the Fermenting Dregs
Sweet Trip
Have a Nice Life
Black Tambourine
Medicine

been on a Modest Mouse binge lately.

never realized how wild Brock is. What a cool dude. Been checking out his Ugly Casanova project, I wanna watch the movie he did the soundtrack for (180° South).

top 3 albums...

1. Good News
2. Moon/Antarctica

3. Lonesome Crowded West

steve-urkel-gif-15.gif

I can't even

Futureman

it was the first I heard by them, so that is probably part of the reason.

M&A is obviously amazing but... shit might as well just put them at a tie. M&A can feel a tad long at times for me.

I posted some way back on page 10, so here it is again with a few additions. Some are more dream pop or psychedelic, but they're at least tangentially related to shoegaze.

My Bloody Valentine
Slowdive
Swirlies
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Spacemen 3
Lush
(early) Stereolab
His Name Is Alive
Curve
SPC ECO
Astrobrite
Cocteau Twins
Yo La Tengo
Lovesliescrushing
Th' Faith Healers
Flying Saucer Attack
Secret Shine
Teenage Filmstars
Drop Nineteens
The Telescopes
Tokyo Shoegazer
Swallow
Alison's Halo
Fleeting Joys
A.R. Kane
Lilys
LSD and the Search for God
Pinkshinyultrablast
Whirr
Mass of the Fermenting Dregs
Sweet Trip
Have a Nice Life
Black Tambourine
Medicine

For some newer artists
Cheatahs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0t6mI8vnzY
No Joy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma7HJqVENlc
Ringo Deathstar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQb56S54qOw

faridmon

The only Modest Mouse album I have listen to is We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank, because of Johnny Marr <3 and I loved it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Need shoegaze recommendations! I love My Bloody Valentine but don't really know where to go after that.
Nothing is a pretty good current band. They just released their first album this year.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
On the Walkmen front, Pete Bauer's solo album is out now, and is a much better listen than Hamilton's (which was shrill and over-stuffed). It's not a major departure from the band's own work, but manages to create a bit of its own identity rather than simply cranking up the Walkmen dial and hoping for the best.

THE JUAN MACLEAN announce a new album!

Its about fucking time and I can't wait!

The single is almost shockingly banal and predictable: 8 minutes of Moroder lite with cookie-cutter DFA production, and oh gee golly, Nancy Whang vocals? Who ever would've expected that. He's got good material in him, but this ain't it. The whole DFA stable was actually fun and kind of refreshing at one time (those early label comps still kill over a decade later) but that sound is so over-saturated now. Only Holy Ghost seems to be doing anything particularly noteworthy, and even that's just elevated by their strong song-writing.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
School of Seven Bells, "I Got Knocked Down (But I'll Get Up)"

School of Seven Bells is pleased to announce the official video for the track 'I Got Knocked Down (But I'll Get Up)' originally by Joey Ramone. Throughout 2013, producer and guitarist Benjamin Curtis had been battling T-cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma [the same condition Ramone had when he originally wrote the song]. Recording in its entirety on his laptop from his hospital bed in NYC, 'I Got Knocked Down (But I'll Get Up)' is Benjamin's final recording before passing on December 29, 2013.

Alejandra is finishing the album she and Ben were making when he passed away, so we'll at least get one final batch of Seven Bells songs.

Linius

Moon/Antarctica is GOAT Modest Mouse album. No discussion.

I also like both Leithausers and Bauers solo efforts. Bauer is also great live I can add. Same energy as The Walkmen.

HiResDes

• Slowdive
  • Pale Saints
  • Medicine
  • Tropic of Cancer
  • Lovesliescrushing
  • Lush
  • Lotus Plaza
  • The Jesus and Mary Chain
  • Luminous Orange
  • Asobi Seksu
  • The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa
  • Astrobrite
  • Blonde Redhead
  • Cocteau Twins
  • Galaxie 500
  • Wild Nothing
  • Tamaryn
  • The Swirlies
  • Serena-Maneeh
  • Ride

Moon/Antarctica & Lonesome Crowded West are by far MM's best albums.

...Also we're having a plug session and I'd love for some of ya'll to drop by

amnesiac

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

I've pretty much been exploring the catalogs of Slowdive and Ride for now. Enjoying Souvlaki and Nowhere to death. Both these bands are much more open, loose, and "breathy" than MBV. They're not really similar at all. Don't get me wrong, I love Loveless, but it's not something I could listen to all day. Loveless sounds a bit dated compared to the other albums I mentioned... I think it might be the drums.

I also can't seem to get The Stone Roses out of my head when I hear Ride. How the hell didn't I know Andy Bell was in them? Huge fan of Oasis.

Steamlord

I don't really consider Slowdive shoegaze. They lack the noise that's characteristic of the genre. They're definitely more dream pop. With that said, I don't really think it's fair to compare Slowdive and MBV when they both do totally different things - especially once Pygmalion came into the picture.

Sobriquet

Surprised no one has mentioned Swervedriver re: Shoegaze. Unless I missed it.

Yeah, its bloody amazing. Its incredible how much they have progressed through their short career. Why, it fells like yesterday when I wasn't into them, but their latest album have changed my perception towards them.
Same. I couldn't get into their previous records but the new one blew me away. I just wish it was longer than 30 minutes. :(

theWB27

Discovered a new band (to me) about a month ago through Pandora. Blind Pilot is phenomenal and the station in general is like a >insert time length here< long soundtrack to the best moments in that great feel good movie.

Linius

I don't really consider Slowdive shoegaze. They lack the noise that's characteristic of the genre. They're definitely more dream pop. With that said, I don't really think it's fair to compare Slowdive and MBV when they both do totally different things - especially once Pygmalion came into the picture.

Shoegaze is basically a subgenre of dreampop. And a lot of shoegazer bands aren't really that noisey, like Pale Saints for example. I'm always surprised when people say Loveless got them into Shoegazing, that's a tough cookie and more likely to scare you away from the genre if you ask me. Slowdive and Pale Saints (and even Ride) are much easier to get in to.

One other important factor for defining those origin shoegazer bands is also their origin by the way. Slowdive came up right in the epi centre of the genre in southern England. They stand at the beginning of the UK pop press their new darling. Leaving behind Madchester and boarding the shoegaze train.

Steamlord

Shoegaze is basically a subgenre of dreampop. And a lot of shoegazer bands aren't really that noisey, like Pale Saints for example. I'm always surprised when people say Loveless got them into Shoegazing, that's a tough cookie and more likely to scare you away from the genre if you ask me. Slowdive and Pale Saints (and even Ride) are much easier to get in to.

One other important factor for defining those origin shoegazer bands is also their origin by the way. Slowdive came up right in the epi centre of the genre in southern England. They stand at the beginning of the UK pop press their new darling. Leaving behind Madchester and boarding the shoegaze train.

I understand that. There's no question that Slowdive is a part of the shoegaze "scene," so in that sense they are shoegaze. When I think of shoegaze in terms of the sound, though, I think of dream pop and noise in equal measure. If you've just got the reverb and ethereal vocals you fit the dream pop criteria but not shoegaze.

Really though, it doesn't matter much either way. And that said, there are a lot of bands that I don't consider full-on shoegaze that I like way more than bands I do consider shoegaze. I'll take Slowdive over Ride any day, for instance.

Kansoku

That's a hard thing to define. What brought me in Shoegaze was Kinoko Teikoku, and they have a lot of indie rock mixed with shoegaze. When I went to search more stuff, I was kinda shocked, especially since the first thing I listened was MBV. I proceeded to listen to No Joy, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, A Place to Bury Strangers, Melody's Echo Chamber, Asobi Seksu, The Stargazer Lillies, Ride, Slowdive, Luminous Orange and Hartfield. With the exception Ride and Luminous Orange, I felt that they're were more Dream Pop than Shoegaze, since they lacked the strong guitars and noise, and were more ethereal and/or mellow in sound. To me Shoegaze is more along the lines of Kinoko Teikoku's Eureka, Tokyo Shoegazer, especially Bright, or Whirr (thanks who mentioned it).

HiResDes

Surprised no one has mentioned Swervedriver re: Shoegaze. Unless I missed it.

Same. I couldn't get into their previous records but the new one blew me away. I just wish it was longer than 30 minutes. :(
Swervedriver are gods I feel guilty now, also want to add Skywave who really took noise in shoegaze to the next level.

big ander

I went back to Total Control's Typical System today and it got even better, top tier for the year now. Last time I loved Side A but wasn't as big on B, this time the run from Black Spring through Safety Net was incredible
By New Order?

Also I was listening to Timber Timbre and forgot how much I love Hot Dreams...Easily in my top ten

Not top ten for me but I like it a ton. been meaning to go back to their older records.

faridmon

Shoegaze is pretty diverse these days. Around the start of it, it was coined to be an alternative to noise and Experimental Rock. Dream Pop came after it, since the genre developed organically to utilise their nouns more widely, and hence the ambient dreamy music.

Linius

I saw Damon Albarn live last weekend and it was truly a thrilling experience. He devoted his performance to Bobby Womack, only hours before the gig Damon heard his good friend past away. It was quite special. He also dedicated Photographs (You Are Taking Now) to The Child of Lov, a Dutch musician who past away last year at the age of 26. He also performed Clint Eastwood with a local Dutch rapper and he did To Binge (also Gorillaz) with Yuki from Little Dragon who were also at the festival that day. Emotionally and performance wise an amazing gig, Damon truly is a musical hero.

Video of Clint Eastwoord in terrible quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpThYf_9R00

They filmed the whole show for live streaming but they're not allowed to put it online sadly :(

Also saw Parquet Courts live for the first time with Sunbathing Animal stuff, really nice. Also loved how they didn't care about the audience wanting to go nuts and just played She's Rollin' and Instant Disassembly in a row. Bit weird that they skipped Stoned and Starving though, but they were really great again so I won't complain.

faridmon

Also saw Parquet Courts live for the first time with Sunbathing Animal stuff, really nice. Also loved how they didn't care about the audience wanting to go nuts and just played She's Rollin' and Instant Disassembly in a row. Bit weird that they skipped Stoned and Starving though, but they were really great again so I won't complain.

I have to say their live performance was a mixed bag for me when I saw them recently. While tracks such as Black & White, Bodies and Stones and Starving mad everyone all excited and, to a certain degree, mad with energy, they played Instant Disassembly and into the Garden towards the end and those two tracks dragged on forever. It was a point where everyone was tired and you could actually feel the level of interest dropping across the room. They did end the show with Yr no Stoner and Light up Gold I and II, which made the whole a bit bearable, but the fact that they looked slackers along with the a bit of damped atmosphere in some their tracks made the whole event a tad bit disappointing.

I admire their devil-may-care attitude, and their lazy, unsupervised image along with their more improvised and spontaneously focused song-writing, however, in certain moods and expectation, those qualities might be very detrimental to my enjoyment of their music. And its the very same reason why I am quite mild about Pavement as whole.

Having said that Black & White is probably one of my favourite tracks this year.

big ander

I'd say the difference is even when pavement were bein lazy and indifferent they were kind enough to keep their songs under 6 minutes and have a hook. PC give no shits and that's why I love them but also why Sunbathing is lackluster

Linius

I have to say their live performance was a mixed bag for me when I saw them recently. While tracks such as Black & White, Bodies and Stones and Starving mad everyone all excited and, to a certain degree, mad with energy, they played Instant Disassembly and into the Garden towards the end and those two tracks dragged on forever. It was a point where everyone was tired and you could actually feel the level of interest dropping across the room. They did end the show with Yr no Stoner and Light up Gold I and II, which made the whole a bit bearable, but the fact that they looked slackers along with the a bit of damped atmosphere in some their tracks made the whole event a tad bit disappointing.

I admire their devil-may-care attitude, and their lazy, unsupervised image along with their more improvised and spontaneously focused song-writing, however, in certain moods and expectation, those qualities might be very detrimental to my enjoyment of their music. And its the very same reason why I am quite mild about Pavement as whole.

Having said that Black & White is probably one of my favourite tracks this year.

They played the slow and longer songs near the end for me as well. Instant Dissambly was played to perfection, pretty much like it's on the record. But She's Rollin' was dragged on like forever. Playing guitar by scratching the microphone across the strings and stuff like that. It was a bit much and too long at a certain point. Luckily that was the only moment they did something like that. Especially the first +-25 minutes were on top speed, they hardly took a break between songs.

big ander

just watched all 100ish minutes of Patrick Stickles of Titus Andronicus announcing a series of 7 7"s, released every 7 weeks starting 7/7/14, except the first release is two 7"s. it's rarer old material remastered. Every release after will be a new +@ song split with a song from a band/friend of +@. the second release (third 7")'s music is on soundcloud already: Titus Andronicus - Stranded and Wicked Kind - Sport (wicked kind has Eric Harm and Julian Veronesi of +@)

Linius

Day 2 is looking great, but I don't think this is the right venue for Mogwai and B&S.

I've never been there but I guess you're saying the acoustics are shit in that venue? Would be a shame to organize a festival with mostly great bands in a shitty venue.

Pacbois

I've never been there but I guess you're saying the acoustics are shit in that venue? Would be a shame to organize a festival with mostly great bands in a shitty venue.

Acoustics are fine, but it's just a big hall. B&S is a band i'd really love to see in a theatre style venue (like the Olympia or Trianon in Paris). Here it's going to be a short, festival-style set. Other than that, the festival itself is okay.

btw Linius, Rock en Seine released the set times http://www.rockenseine.com/artistes/programme/

Top Bottom