• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

Oh I see. Yeah B&S in a small setting is the best. Or outside in the sun like at ReS last year. Saw the timetable, glad I can see Mac finally. Also will pick The Horrors over The Prodigy most likely. Arctic Monkeys play late btw.

Pacbois

Oh I see. Yeah B&S in a small setting is the best. Or outside in the sun like at ReS last year. Saw the timetable, glad I can see Mac finally. Also will pick The Horrors over The Prodigy most likely. Arctic Monkeys play late btw.

Glad they avoid a lot terrible clashes on Sunday. St. Vincent vs The Horrors and Janelle Monae vs Thruston Moore will be difficult choices though.

We should meet for an overpriced beer !

Futureman

just got "Light Up Gold" LP last night. SICK.

dumb question that I could probably just Google, but whenever I start my record player, the needle moves to the middle of the record. I think I bumped it?

how do I recalibrate it so the needle starts at the beginning of the record?

edit: just thought about it, maybe it's on a 7" setting or something? I'm a newb.

big ander

just got "Light Up Gold" LP last night. SICK.

dumb question that I could probably just Google, but whenever I start my record player, the needle moves to the middle of the record. I think I bumped it?

how do I recalibrate it so the needle starts at the beginning of the record?

edit: just thought about it, maybe it's on a 7" setting or something? I'm a newb.
what table do you have? On a lot of automatic tables there's a button or knob for 12" or 7", so if it's on 7" the arm will go to where the outer edge would be for that. I doubt it would be set to go further in just by accident or by bumping it in some way, so I would look for the button first. on my junker AT-LP60 it's a button on the face, left side. press it in for 7"s. I think on others there's a switch on the back? and on some there's a knob on the top of the table.

Linius

Glad they avoid a lot terrible clashes on Sunday. St. Vincent vs The Horrors and Janelle Monae vs Thruston Moore will be difficult choices though.

We should meet for an overpriced beer !

I hope the overpriced beer comes in nice cups again, I have a small collection of ReS cups here now. Should be fun, we'll keep in touch then, still more than a month of waiting. Hopefully the weather is better than last year.

Oh man, I forgot St. Vincent is also at that same spot. I saw The Horrors two weeks ago and they were brilliant. Still a tough choice. Bummer you can't see how long each gig will last, they only noted the start of each gig. And for me Janelle Monae will be the one, Thurston Moore's solo works never really got to me. Hopefully Janelle tours with a full band, should be great. Like at Glasto in 2011.

On the subject of record players, I got my dads old one the other day. Came with a record of Cameo, anyone remembers word up? :p

Pacbois

I hope the overpriced beer comes in nice cups again, I have a small collection of ReS cups here now. Should be fun, we'll keep in touch then, still more than a month of waiting. Hopefully the weather is better than last year.

Oh man, I forgot St. Vincent is also at that same spot. I saw The Horrors two weeks ago and they were brilliant. Still a tough choice. Bummer you can't see how long each gig will last, they only noted the start of each gig. And for me Janelle Monae will be the one, Thurston Moore's solo works never really got to me. Hopefully Janelle tours with a full band, should be great. Like at Glasto in 2011.

The end times are on the mobile app, I made a clashfinder based on it.

Ecocups (the pretty solid plastic cups) are everywhere in France now, in festivals and venues, so yeah expect more pretty cups. I also have a shitload of those.

Oh and the Slowdive video you posted isn't geolocked, but man this video player is weird.

Linius

Thanks for the clashfinder, that will help.

And yeah, it's a weird videoplayer. It's from a public broadcaster here and I figure it will cost too much tax money to build a proper videoplayer :p

EDIT

Downloaded the new app, looks and functions great. Every festival app should be like this one.

Doc Az

Neo Member
I decided to look back on a couple of my older albums yesterday, and I happened to stumble upon Demon Days, by the Gorillaz, which, as albums always do, led me down the route of starting to listen to them again. Having stopped maybe a year after Demon Days release, I missed their Plastic Beach album. Decided to go back and listen to it, as I'd heard good things.

My my, this is a fantastic little bundle of songs here. One I'm specifically going to point out, and one that is now a favourite of mine is On Melancholy Hill, a lighter piece, but the song structure here is beautiful.

On Melancholy Hill

I have literally no idea why I stopped, and I am so ridiculously happy I found 2D, Murdoc, Russel and Noodle again.

(Unrelated note, as it has nothing to do with the music, but I'm happy to see the music videos have stayed entertaining).

faridmon

Holy shit! Camden Crawl went into liquidation before band got paid because of low ticket sales. WTF? The line-up was so good. London, you disappoint me

cc14-e1395226500968.jpg

The press release:
http://thecamdencrawl.com/news/camden-crawl-issues-statement-following-poor-sales-for-cc14-event

I was actually planning to go,Only last minute parent meeting kept away. Bloody Hell, can't really believe it, now we won't have CC again ever again :(

Linius

Never heard of those songs from Vile. And I consider my self 'fan', really fond of his music. His last one especially was amazing. It's pretty long but I just can't get bored with that album, time flies when I put it on. That one and Smoke Ring For My Halo are his best albums imo. Also check out the first The War on Drugs album when Kurt Vile was still in the band if you haven't yet :)

amnesiac

I liked Kurt Vile after listening to his last album which I learned about through The War On Drugs. Haven't checked out his older stuff though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wakin on a Pretty Daze is just about the perfect sunday afternoon album. Still have to look up his other albums. Seeing him and War on Drugs at Pukkelpop this summer, looking forward to it

Diablos

So I just learned Asobi Seksu broke up. That really blows. Of all the "omg we wanna be like My Bloody Valentine" bands that constantly jumped on that bandwagon, they were the only one I can think of that were good enough to consistently define themselves and not just mindlessly latch on to the shoegaze label. There were others of course, but of all the blatantly MBV-esque bands, they were the best. They also had the general idea of what it means to be a dream pop band, with a rather unique touch as it's hard to sound different when you are labeled as such.

HiResDes

So I just learned Asobi Seksu broke up. That really blows. Of all the "omg we wanna be like My Bloody Valentine" bands that constantly jumped on that bandwagon, they were the only one I can think of that were good enough to consistently define themselves and not just mindlessly latch on to the shoegaze label. There were others of course, but of all the blatantly MBV-esque bands, they were the best. They also had the general idea of what it means to be a dream pop band, with a rather unique touch as it's hard to sound different when you are labeled as such.

I disagree, besides Citrus their output was mediocre and even more derivative than resurgent shoegaze bands.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Not really anything related to current bands, but KEXP is breaking down "Losing My Edge" this morning by playing every band or song referenced and sampled in it. I don't even like LCD Soundsystem but this is a neat idea nonetheless.

big ander

Not really anything related to current bands, but KEXP is breaking down "Losing My Edge" this morning by playing every band or song referenced and sampled in it. I don't even like LCD Soundsystem but this is a neat idea nonetheless.

really cool idea, though the show would have to be extra long to fit in everybody hah. and I don't know how you play black dice on the radio. But I wouldn't turn down a mix of Can and the Germs and a-ha and Reed and This Heat

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
They're just now finishing up the playlist (with the song itself, naturally) and it took over five hours to do every song. There were a few out of place - it was being played in order - because the DJs were still uncovering new references as the show was going.

Linius

Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes are the classics. Beware, Pollard is the kind of guy that puts every fart on a record so there's quite a lot of let's say 'not so good' music in their catalogue. But if you start with these two you can't go wroing in my opinion.

Someone I know also made a compilation of Pollards solo work once. Compiled a bunch of songs into his own 'best of' of his solo career. I can post the tracklist at a later point if you're interested. Not near my computer at the moment.

Jitters

Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes are the classics. Beware, Pollard is the kind of guy that puts every fart on a record so there's quite a lot of let's say 'not so good' music in their catalogue. But if you start with these two you can't go wroing in my opinion.

Someone I know also made a compilation of Pollards solo work once. Compiled a bunch of songs into his own 'best of' of his solo career. I can post the tracklist at a later point if you're interested. Not near my computer at the moment.

Exactly. I would consider myself a huge fan, but when you look at it, most of their stuff sucks.

I love this White Lung album so much.

I think a lot of Shoegaze bands sound really lazy and same-y.

So me and some friends were having a huge debate on why there are rarely any indie bands with non-white members. The ones that do usually have 1 or 2 minority members.

Anyone have any examples of indie bands with a majority of non-white members?

The only major one I could think of was TV on the Radio and maybe Mars Volta (not sure i'd put them as indie rock though).

Linius

I think after years and years of music it's safe to say black people just don't often end up in rock bands (of any kind for that matter). I mean we have guys like Little Richard and Jimi Hendrix and later Lenny Kravitz. But how many black rock stars are there really? Going trough my iTunes the black artists seem to come from hiphop, R&B, Soul, blues and electronic music mostly. Those first three are the genres in which you encounter far less white people.

What I also noticed is that there are bands who tour with background singers (like Blur for example) and they are often black. Usually people with a gospel background providing that extra soul to songs on stage. Same goes for the horn section.

When I was at a Nas (oldschool hiphop) gig last monday btw I expected the audience to be more black but to my surprise like 70% of the room was filled with white people (including myself).

Steamlord

A.R. Kane is one of the most influential dream pop bands ever. In fact, Alex Ayuli apparently coined the term "dream pop" in an interview, though I haven't actually read the interview to be sure.

I think after years and years of music it's safe to say black people just don't often end up in rock bands (of any kind for that matter). I mean we have guys like Little Richard and Jimi Hendrix and later Lenny Kravitz. But how many black rock stars are there really? Going trough my iTunes the black artists seem to come from hiphop, R&B, Soul, blues and electronic music mostly. Those first three are the genres in which you encounter far less white people.

What I also noticed is that there are bands who tour with background singers (like Blur for example) and they are often black. Usually people with a gospel background providing that extra soul to songs on stage. Same goes for the horn section.

When I was at a Nas (oldschool hiphop) gig last monday btw I expected the audience to be more black but to my surprise like 70% of the room was filled with white people (including myself).

Ehhh...there are some pretty amazing bands out there with black singers/rock musicians. Toro y Moi has been getting pretty big (Indie R&Bish) Unlocking the Truth is insane. (Metal) The Dears were one of my favorite bands back in the day. (Indie)

Yeah, its a strange subject and our debate got kind of intense. I like to think its the music that drives peoples tastes, but my friend insists its the image that plays a huge part. She made a good point about a indie folk-rock band formerly known as 'Monsters Calling Home' changing their name to 'Run River North' partly because they wanted to shed an "Asian gimmick" that got them pretty big and everyone would not stop asking them about. I guess I sort of see what she was saying though.

The Dears are an awesome band with a black singer

Yes! I can't stand their latest stuff though. It got a little too religious stadium rock for me. lol

I just found out Murray Lightburn has a solo album, streamed some of the tracks, and immediately bought it. Pretty good stuff.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm not sure where to start with Guided by Voices.

any suggestions?

Human Amusements at Hourly Rates is their greatest hits album, and is pretty much great all the way through. Due to the fact that they have approximately 4,000 albums, it obviously misses a lot. I'd recommend Bee Thousand and Under The Bushes, Under The Stars as my personal favourites if you don't want to go the greatest hits route.

But pretty much anything they put out in the 1990's is excellent. Everything after has good songs still, just more filler and no real GBV classics.

Steamlord

Whoa. Thanks for sharing. They are pretty amazing and that just won me the argument.

No problem. I imagine quite a few post-rock bands wouldn't exist without them either. Even Slowdive have cited them as an influence. It's really a shame that they're so overlooked, except for their collaboration with Colourbox as MARRS, under which they released their hit Pump Up the Volume. Always good to convert a new fan.

No problem. I imagine quite a few post-rock bands wouldn't exist without them either. Even Slowdive have cited them as an influence. It's really a shame that they're so overlooked, except for their collaboration with Colourbox as MARRS, under which they released their hit Pump Up the Volume. Always good to convert a new fan.

Yeah I'm already in love with them and been doing a lot of reading on them. Pioneers in Trip hop (one of my favorite genres) too. :X
A damn shame how underrated and overlooked they are.

Linius

SBOEA1m.jpg

Spoon and Sebadoh on the same night, I'm already looking forward to november first hnnng

That White Lung album is great by the way. But it's so damn short :(

Top Bottom