• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hm, will have to cautiously check out this new Raveonettes disc. They've had one of the more bipolar career arcs, peaking pretty early, and then managing to release a handful of fantastic songs among a lot of junk. In and Out of Control has such an amazing three-song opening and then turned into one of my most loathed albums from that year; it's been hard to pay them much attention since then (although the show I was at during their Raven tour was noisy fun) .

Sugar Stems' Only Come Out at Night is streaming on their label's soundcloud. Seems like solid power pop.

I've been on a holding pattern on new music lately.

More excited for my upcoming concert lineup. After sleeping on White Lung like a fucking idiot (they were playing at a bar 10 mins from my house), I've locked down tickets to Ought, Beach House, The Hotelier and probably Iceage and Timber Timbre to my fall lineup.

King_Moc

Banned
Hm, will have to cautiously check out this new Raveonettes disc. They've had one of the more bipolar career arcs, peaking pretty early, and then managing to release a handful of fantastic songs among a lot of junk. In and Out of Control has such an amazing three-song opening and then turned into one of my most loathed albums from that year; it's been hard to pay them much attention since then (although the show I was at during their Raven tour was noisy fun) .

Sugar Stems' Only Come Out at Night is streaming on their label's soundcloud. Seems like solid power pop.

Did you listen to Observator? I thought that was really good. Great melodies all the way through.

What you said about In and Out of Control (which I quite like) is exactly how I felt about Raven in the Grave.

Pacbois

Perfect Pussy were really fun last night, only 30 mins set, noisy as hell but so fun (and for a free show you can't complain. Also had the chance to quickly chat with the band about their first time in Europe. Meredith said "Fuck it tomorrow I'll get some cheese and some bread and go past the eiffel tower on a bicycle" That got me laughing my ass off.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Got to see Man or Astro-Man? last night. Coco wasn't touring so they had two members of The Octopus Project and the girl from We Versus the Shark join them.

It was very loud and very aggressive and the stage lighting/video was awesome and there was a mosh pit and Birdstuff crowd surfed and destroyed his drum kit at the end and they didn't play MST3K Love Theme and it was still one of the best shows I've ever seen. The end.

big ander

Perfect Pussy were really fun last night, only 30 mins set, noisy as hell but so fun (and for a free show you can't complain. Also had the chance to quickly chat with the band about their first time in Europe. Meredith said "Fuck it tomorrow I'll get some cheese and some bread and go past the eiffel tower on a bicycle" That got me laughing my ass off.

Heh looks like she did just that!

I really wanna see them again and have the sound not be broken. They put in so much energy but were vocally unhappy with what the system at the venue was doing.

Steamlord

Meredith is such a badass. They're so fun live too. I saw them and Yamantaka // Sonic Titan back to back a few months ago and it was glorious.

Pacbois

Heh looks like she did just that!

I really wanna see them again and have the sound not be broken. They put in so much energy but were vocally unhappy with what the system at the venue was doing.

Hahaha, rad.
I didn't really hear her but that was mainly 'cause I was moshing in the pit without earplugs (yea, yolo).

They're coming back for Pitchfork Paris, I hope they'll try to get Joanna Gruesome for a cool double header.

big ander

Hahaha, rad.
I didn't really hear her but that was mainly 'cause I was moshing in the pit without earplugs (yea, yolo).

They're coming back for Pitchfork Paris, I hope they'll try to get Joanna Gruesome for a cool double header.

For the first few songs I thought "oh, this is just what a PP show is like, I'm not supposed to be able to hear her or the keys even a little bit and the drums are supposed to sound entirely buried under feedback of the guitars" until between songs she started asked the sound techs for help and when they couldn't do anything for them she apologized to the audience for them sounding like shit.

JG are supposed to have a split with Perfect Pussy. hope it comes out soon.

They Have My Soul is now streaming on iTunes. Great album.

I expect nothing less.

tom-hanks.gif

HiResDes

Perfect pussy definitely need a mixer and masterer. I mean there's lo fi and then there's shit fi. When I saw them at Pitchfork you could barely hear as she was visibly screaming her lungs out and the studio recordings aren't much better

Duplolas

Banned
Heres a extremely unknown band I found awhile back.

They are called The John Mancini Band.

I love this band. I discovered it some how on Pandora, of all things. Their #1 song has just over 3k views on Spotify. On youtube they have under 2k views on the same song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkneGADAuLY

All of their other songs have less than 1k views on either youtube or spotify.

Each song is so different, its so great.

Take a look at this beat they have on their song "Little Things"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Cgm2tjp0I

Sound familiar to all you classic rock fans out there?

The full song is only available through spotify. Click the link to their profile here: http://open.spotify.com/album/0UIR23Jpa3XvlhuTztwanB

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I heard them on the NPR podcast a few weeks back and liked it, only just listening to the album now and holy fuck this is SO GOOD. The feedback sounds like the music breathing <3

prefaces

i'm late and i don't have a last.fm profile but i'm bored and making lists is fun so...

sonic chicken 4 s/t
the spies the battle of bosworth terrace
gidon kremer & the kremerata baltica mieczyslaw weinberg
ruined fortune s/t
sacred product s/t
sex scheme thruster
antwon heavy hearted in doldrums
piece war apathy
watery love decorative feeding
nacho picasso trances with wolves
mordecai neil's generator
hus kingpin the kingpin supreme (thanks des)
ha-yang kim threadsuns
nun s/t
obnox louder space

chris121580

If you guys aren't familiar with Meg Myers, you should check her out. I've posted a few songs below. She's on the verge of blowing up not to mention she's ridiculously hot. I saw her at a private show here in Indy with about 50 other people and it was amazing. Got to meet her and the band and all of them are incredibly kind and humble. Hoping big things happen for her and her band. Did I mention she's hot?

Desire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR5u9jb0PJE

Make A Shadow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-z4sUKWd6Q

Go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH1ScKaAbhE

big ander

Myers is one of those people I feel like's been on the verge of blowing up for forever. remember a ton of mid-level blog hype in like 2011/12 about Adelaide and Monster (the former's my favorite of hers) but she never fully caught on and then just kinda stewed. Like Mozart's Sister or Kate Boy or...or any number of internet-hyped acts that turn into nothing lol. But maybe she'll turn it around! Make a Shadow's a solid EP.

chris121580

Myers is one of those people I feel like's been on the verge of blowing up for forever. remember a ton of mid-level blog hype in like 2011/12 about Adelaide and Monster (the former's my favorite of hers) but she never fully caught on and then just kinda stewed. Like Mozart's Sister or Kate Boy or...or any number of internet-hyped acts that turn into nothing lol. But maybe she'll turn it around! Make a Shadow's a solid EP.

Totally agree. Here's her ridiculously intense performance of her song Heart Heart Head. This is the show I was at. At the end, you'll see how small the venue was. Really awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7twgaG_BLM

Steamlord

Esben and the Witch - A New Nature

bj7bCSQ.png

It's not officially out for another month, but I can tell you it's fantastic.
They've also released a few of the tracks on their Soundcloud (Dig Your Fingers In, No Dog, Blood Teachings).

Top Bottom