• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

amnesiac

Been getting into Tom Waits lately. Loving his stuff. I think my favorite albums of his so far are The Heart Of Saturday Night and Rain Dogs. Anywhere I Lay My Head might be one of the best vocal performances I've ever heard...

Linius

I listen to Closing Time the most. But Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs and Bad as Me are also amazing. Dude got lots of great albums. Really wish I ever get the chance to see him live.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Randomly started listening to The Black Keys and now I cant stop. Been listening to "Brothers" on repeat. Oh god. Any more music like this besides The White Stripes?
Also is Brothers their best album?

Linius

El Camino > Brothers > Attack and Release > Rubber Factory >Turn Blue for me. Only bigger step in quality loss is Turn Blue, though there are still some nice songs on it. Haven't listened to the rest of their stuff enough.

For now the new Spoon record is on repeat. Also keen to check out the new Ty Segall one and give Angus & Julia a try.

K.Sabot

Ooh, class. Loved the first album, but the second was pretty bad.

Second album definitely grew on me, found it forgettable on first and second listen but there are many individually strong songs on the album floated by filler that I ended being liking or being okay with.

All it took was me being at work and that being the only album on my phone for a year.

Diablos

So I listened to The Voyager by Jenny Lewis. It's pretty good... but I think it will be hard for her to top her previous two releases. Frankly, it doesn't come close. Rabbit Fur Coat and Acid Tongue are near flawless. To be fair, it would be hard if not impossible for most people to top something that good so many years later. You can tell she's the kind of singer/songwriter who is aware of her limits. This ensures her less-stellar releases do not sound like a parody of herself, and I definitely appreciate that. The songs are still good, but she has done better.

I'd give it a 7/10.

Alpende

Randomly started listening to The Black Keys and now I cant stop. Been listening to "Brothers" on repeat. Oh god. Any more music like this besides The White Stripes?
Also is Brothers their best album?

Give Radio Moscow a go, their first record was produced by Auerbach.

Linius

I just can't stop listening to the new Spoon record. Just every song on it is great.

Also gave the new Ty Segall a listen. some pretty good tunes on there on first listen. Pretty diverse too. Some psychedelica, some garage and some laid back songs. Ty is at it again. Can't believe he makes so much music and hardly ever puts out shit.

El Camino > Brothers > Attack and Release > Rubber Factory >Turn Blue for me. Only bigger step in quality loss is Turn Blue, though there are still some nice songs on it. Haven't listened to the rest of their stuff enough.

For now the new Spoon record is on repeat. Also keen to check out the new Ty Segall one and give Angus & Julia a try.

Linus normally I'm on the same page as you but Rubber Factory is easily better than the Danger Mouse produced (or infected in the case of Turn Blue) Keys albums.

Not that El Camino or Brothers still aren't good.

Linius

Huh? That's what I'm saying. I like some songs on Turn Blue but in many ways it's the biggest letdown from The Black Keys we've seen in their career.

EDIT

Ah, I was misreading your post. Thought you were referencing to Turn Blue solely, but you said albums, plural.

But yeah, I know my opinion is probably some what impopular regarding The Black Keys. Most people would probably put Brothers on top or one of Rubber Factory/Attack and Release. I actually like their more mainstream albums slightly better, how odd :p

Alpende

Agreed on Turn Blue being a disappointment. I also agree with equippedwithtowel, Rubber Factory is their best work imo.

Linius

SGhIYeC.jpg

XThwJ3Q.jpg

Schedule pain that

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
anyone who goes to that ^ and skips Electric Wizard gets a month in solitary.

Ben Frost, Stott/Kode9, Iceage, Nils Frahm, Lee Gamble... I could actually enjoy a festival like this.

I try not to go off too much on Fantano, but his review of Deep Fantasy raised my eyebrows. He basically said that White Lung were barely a punk band on it and that they fumbled their major label debut.

On an unrelated note, anyone else checking out the new Twin Peaks?

Linius

Fantano just likes to whine about things and smooth edited videos. It's what his viewers want I guess and he makes good money of it probably. He's one of those annoying youtubers imo.

HiResDes

I try not to go off too much on Fantano, but his review of Deep Fantasy raised my eyebrows. He basically said that White Lung were barely a punk band on it and that they fumbled their major label debut.

On an unrelated note, anyone else checking out the new Twin Peaks?
I think he had a beef with the audio quality IIRC, which I completely understand. The vocals are too low in the mix and the midrange sounds like it was blown up artificially for the sake of loudness. There's lo-fi and there's shit-fi, Deep Fantasy is closer to the latter.

I buy CD's as gifts (unless they own a turntable), bit classier than a gift card and it lets me flaunt my taste.

Also Destroyer is fucking amazing, just got into Streethawk: A Seduction and Kaputt. What's next?

I thought it was ok. It's a bit cleaner than their last few efforts, Brian's vocals are cleaner and the sound isn't as raw. Big money breeds good sounds I guess. Not a bad cd by any means, just different.

My first pass through it I thought half were background, the rest were incredibly solid. Second pass I tried to separate it from the rest of their catalog and take it for what it was, and I loved the whole thing. I've had it on repeat since.

amnesiac

Trying to find this one album I liked. It's electronic, so maybe I won't get a response here... Album art has a tan sphere and the music uses a lot of old samples. Can someone help me find it? It's somewhat recent I think (past 3 years).

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Trying to find this one album I liked. It's electronic, so maybe I won't get a response here... Album art has a tan sphere and the music uses a lot of old samples. Can someone help me find it? It's somewhat recent I think (past 3 years).

Probably Flying Lotus' Cosmogramma.

Pacbois

Odessa by Caribou ?

[Edit]Woops Odessa is just the single, the album is called Swim.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I still buy CD's, I like having a psychical collection.

Same here. I buy tons of CDs. I buy CDs I've never heard before. I even started a subscription box thing sending CDs to people. You can get used CDs cheaper than you can get the album digitally in a lot of cases, and the whole physical artifact thing is nice. There's a lot of artwork and design that gets lost with a digital download, and it just feels more real.

But then, I also buy new albums on vinyl, so I might be a little bit of a massive hipster.

Linius

I've been meaning to get on Ty Segall, but i have no idea where to start.

I got to know him when he released Goodbye Bread and that is a pretty good starting point I think. It's a bit laidback but also good guitar stuff.

And in case you haven't, you should definitely pick up on Mikal Cronin after Ty.

King_Moc

Banned
I pretty much only buy cd's. It was bonus month this month, so I ended up buying nearly 20. Epic. I do like the Amazon autorip feature though, where they give you a download as soon as you order the physical cd.

hipgnosis

Saw Slint and Slowdive last weekend. Holy damn they were great! Slint was very intimate with delicate playing in the quieter parts and then exploding into nice guitar wall in the louder parts. Good Morning Captain was out of this world.

Slowdive was even better I could've ever imagined. Very loud and still they sounded awesome. Everything was clear and yet really explosive. When the Sun Hits was a standout and it was absolutely incredible to hear them explode to that chorus. The volume level was about the same with MBV if were not counting You Made Me Realize.

Top Bottom