• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Ty Segall is fucking awesome, streamed Goodbye Bread, Twins and Sleeper and was surprised by how much I like all of them as packages; not to mention the fact that Manipulator comes out in like two weeks.
Now on to Mikal Cronin.

Linius

Don't forget Slaughterhouse btw. Released as Ty Segall Band. Mikal Cronin plays bass on that record. And that record Ty did with White Fence is also worth your time.

The new Gaslight Anthem is pretty decent. Wish they'd branch out a bit more though; I need to relisten to the last one, but it feels more safe and "samey" than that one.

overcast

I didn't listen to Kurtvile enough last year. Shit was perfect for driving on the pacific coast highway.

Haven't even listened to Ty Segall. Guess I should.

Linius

Jabberwocky cancelled :-(

Hope you're not too out of pocket what with booking from The Netherlands, Linius.

I'm fed up with ATP for pulling this stunt. But I'm still going to London since I've invested about 200 euros in non refundable stuff already. Faridmon is also still coming down I just read so we're gonna make the most of it. A lot of them play separate gigs so we're gonna watch out for who we can see. Quite a bummer that the Pissed Jeans replacement show was already sold out before I even got home to find out the festival is cancelled.

Mostly watching to see what Darkside and Ought are gonna do now. Neutral Milk I've already seen luckily and Farid isn't the biggest fan of them anyways. Oh and sucks about the Van Pelt mostly, that's pretty much a one time chance to see them. They did arrive in London though so who knows. Hookworms apparently don't come sadly. Todd Terje is playing in London on Friday. And Protmartyr on sunday. Still lots of options for fun.

Linius

Yeah I've got tickets for me and Faridmon for Cloud Nothings/Speedy Ortiz/Hookworms on saturday. Unless something better turns up that's what we'll be doing. And on friday we most likely go to The Old Blue for Ought and Big Ups.

Liars is sadly ruled out now. So pretty much only Darkside can turn out schedule upside down. That all day thing at the Shacklewell looks pretty awesome btw. They managed to get a lot of bands from the bill together. Was hoping to catch The Van Pelt somehow but that clashed with the thing we got ticks for. And by the looks of it it's sold out, whatever that means for a free gig.

And on sunday we'll head to the Windmill Brixton for Protomartyr (and a bunch of local post punk bands). It's gonna be a good weekend still. Oh and I got tickets for Kurt Vile in Amsterdam next week.

Linius

I missed tickets for cloud nothings and Hookworms. I am distraught :-(

Well you can always try and hope someone sells a spare. I've seen them going left and right because people decided to go some place else after all. Even if you can only find one ticket you can always tag along with us.

The sorry thing about all of this is that many locals are jumping on all the cheap/free gigs, lots of people who weren't going to Jabberwocky anyways. So most of the gigs sold out in a matter of minutes because so many people were on it. And all the sales just went online in the middle of the day. I was lucky to be home still when Cloud Nothings et al was going on sale.

King_Moc

Banned
Food for thought.

For now I wanna see the van Pelt and Ought were fucking great and I need some sleep. London is cool.

NMH were awesome, even though the sound was shit. I drank far too much though. Managed tobread queuing at the bar during Oh Comely.

Linius

NMH were awesome, even though the sound was shit. I drank far too much though. Managed tobread queuing at the bar during Oh Comely.

My post was from when he actually got back from Shoreditch. It was a long night. The replacement gigs serve me well so far. Saw Big Ups first at Old Blue Last btw. It was so packed, really cool venue.

Glad you got to see something man. How did you like The Ex? They're Dutch :D

You seeing anything else this weekend? We'll be at the 100 Club tonight. Looking forward to it.

King_Moc

Banned
My post was from when he actually got back from Shoreditch. It was a long night. The replacement gigs serve me well so far. Saw Big Ups first at Old Blue Last btw. It was so packed, really cool venue.

Glad you got to see something man. How did you like The Ex? They're Dutch :D

You seeing anything else this weekend? We'll be at the 100 Club tonight. Looking forward to it.

I only caught the last song, but it was pretty good. Me and my friend had really gotten into our drinking beforehand :-/

Fjordson

Is there anything from him I shouldn't listen to? Or is every album worth it?
He puts out a lot of stuff, but everything I've heard in the last few years has been great. Manipulator, Twins, Sleeper, Godbye Bread, his album with White Fence, Melted. All quality albums.

Edit: almost forgot the Ty Segall Band album "Slaughterhouse".

hipgnosis

Ty Segalls Manipulator is blowing my mind at the moment. Damn this guy can't do no wrong.

Saw him live during Slaughterhouse era as Ty Segall band. That gig was fucking amazing, so much energy and people were going insane, lots of diving etc. The whole place was rocking.

Linius

I'm really looking forward to seeing him live. Still a shame I had to miss this event called fuzz box two years back. Ty, White Fence, Mikal and some other band I forgot all played. And of course joined each other on stage. Oh well, in october I'll finally see him.

Now on the way home from Kurt Vile. Decent gig, some very nice guitar solos. And about five songs without the band on stage. Much better crowd compared to the war on drugs btw. Red Eyes really created a negative impact on their crowd sadly. Too many people just there for that one hit. While these guys are anything but poppy when you catch them live.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him live. Still a shame I had to miss this event called fuzz box two years back. Ty, White Fence, Mikal and some other band I forgot all played. And of course joined each other on stage. Oh well, in october I'll finally see him.

Now on the way home from Kurt Vile. Decent gig, some very nice guitar solos. And about five songs without the band on stage. Much better crowd compared to the war on drugs btw. Red Eyes really created a negative impact on their crowd sadly. Too many people just there for that one hit. While these guys are anything but poppy when you catch them live.

That's a fucking shame, seeing them next month and totally hyped. Maybe a outdoor festival will serve them better

Linius

Guess it also depends on where you live. Red Eyes been quite a popular song on the radio here for a while. I saw them first in may at a rather indie kind of event which sold out before that song was even popular. But later at the end of June at an open air bigger festival there were a lot of girls in the front of the crowd basically waiting to dance on Red Eyes and a bunch them left to see something else after that song :p

Linius

You guys know the song "I just Don't Understand" on the new Spoon record? Apparently that's a song from some Swedish lady but was also once covered by none other than The Beatles.

Nice footage of Slowdive again by the way. La Route Du Rock is also on my list of festivals to consider for next year. A Dutch dude I know from a music messageboard went this year and his reports are very positive.

Pacbois

Nice footage of Slowdive again by the way. La Route Du Rock is also on my list of festivals to consider for next year. A Dutch dude I know from a music messageboard went this year and his reports are very positive.

Hope you like mud ! Yeah it's a classic, never went but I definitly should do it. Only thing that bothers me it's that it's pretty much a one-stage festival. So if you don't like the band playing well you're stuck with it.

Getting ready for Rock en Seine. Really hyped by Portishead and St. Vincent and happy to see Cloud Nothings and Warpaint again. There are still a few clashes to figure out but it should be fun.

Linius

La Route Du Rock would indeed very heavily depend on the line-up seeing as it is a one stage thing. This years was very much my cup of tea so I'm hopefull they're with in my taste range.

Also looking forward to ReS. Portishead blew me away last year, so that should be fun again. And really looking forward to Arctic Monkeys, Stephen Malkmus and Mac DeMarco. Thee Oh Sees, Fat White Family and Cloud Nothings should be a good party. The worst clash is pretty much The Horrors vs. St. Vincent for me. Though I have seen The Horrors very recently and I have never seen St. Vincent before. Might even decide on the spot.

Meanwhile there was very exciting announcement news for Le Guess Who? festival over here in Utrecht. Was pretty weird to see, but Pitchfork was the one to break the news. First time I've ever seen them write anything about LGW?. But I guess the star of that festival is rising more and more. And rightfully so. This afternoon they announced Swans, Silver Apples and Wire amongst others. Micheal Gira will curate a part of the festival. Line-up so far is looking like this: http://leguesswho.nl/

Steamlord

Go with St. Vincent. Trust me. I haven't seen The Horrors live but since you saw them recently... St. Vincent's live show is fantastic.

Also GODDAMN at that LGW lineup. Why the hell don't I get awesome festivals in my part of the US?

HiResDes

I am the biggest Horrors fan and having seen St. Vincent twice I'd definitely still recommend her. Her live set is greater than her studio work even, some of the solo's are going to melt your fucking face.

big ander

I've only listened to 2 songs of cera's, is he actually at all comparable to the longstanding genius that is Alex g? I'm doubting it, what I've heard is semi-catchy and uninspired

Top Bottom