• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

LTTP Mac DeMarco's Salad Days. Fuck this album is pretty great.

Reminds me of Danny Brown for some reason. Used to not like them after hearing how ridiculous they or their shows are, but can't deny the good music.

HiResDes

Can't stand Real Estate and they're boring ass yacht rock. Saw them live this year while waiting for Slowdive to come on and it was the longest thirty minutes of my life.

Linius

Always love me some Real Estate. And last weekend at Rock en Seine I finally got to see Mac live, boy he was amazing. Full gig here!

Rock en Seine was great again. Saw excellent gigs from Portishead, St. Vincent, Stephen Malkmus, Mac, Arctic Monkeys, Cut/Copy, Cloud Nothings, Warpaint and more.

And I met up with Pacbois and Stairouais a couple of times during the festival. Always nice to meet some fellow Gaffers.

Also saw Jacco Gardner which is some other neat lo-fi psychedeliaaa
http://youtu.be/iTDKve117ZA

I included Jacco in my huge post about Dutch Indie music. Too bad he's pretty much the only one who gets some attention abroad. But it's very cool to see him on all these international big festivals.

Pacbois

Always love me some Real Estate. And last weekend at Rock en Seine I finally got to see Mac live, boy he was amazing. Full gig here!

Rock en Seine was great again. Saw excellent gigs from Portishead, St. Vincent, Stephen Malkmus, Mac, Arctic Monkeys, Cut/Copy, Cloud Nothings, Warpaint and more.

And I met up with Pacbois and Stairouais a couple of times during the festival. Always nice to meet some fellow Gaffers.

Indeed, it was pretty good festival. Portishead, St. Vincent, Warpaint and Cloud Nothings were my highlights. Arctic Monkeys and QOTSA played safe but pretty good headline sets.

And both Warpaint and Cloud Nothings are coming back to Paris in November !

big ander

Real Estate have gotten markedly worse with each album to me. Atlas was boring as shit guitar wankery, Days was solid with some nice instrumentals, the s/t is a complete album perfect for lazy afternoons. budweiser sprite, do you feel alright...
Uhhh.
no
I think hrd meant Half Way Home (which is incredible and has my favorite song of hers in You Are Song) but I'll also say listen to Strange Cacti. Amazing EP.

amnesiac

Real Estate have gotten markedly worse with each album to me. Atlas was boring as shit guitar wankery, Days was solid with some nice instrumentals, the s/t is a complete album perfect for lazy afternoons. budweiser sprite, do you feel alright...

Though I wouldn't call Atlas "guitar wankery," I could definitely understand why people would call it boring. It's on par with Days for me; really accessible songs with nice hooks and textures. I wish they would loosen up their sound a bit like on their self titled and the Reality EP.

Also, just got a ticket to see The War On Drugs in a couple weeks! Really like Lost In The Dream. Haven't checked out their older stuff aside from Baby Missiles, which is a fantastic track.

Linius

Slave Ambient is on par with Lost in the Dream if not slightly better. Wagonwheel Blues got some nice tunes as well. And they seem to be in great form this year as far as gigs go.

I'm still hoping to get a ticket somwhere for the Amsterdam gig. Due to there sudden popularity it sold out in a couple of weeks time, still six months before the gig is actually happening. Last time they did a gig in Amsterdam they played a smaller venue and it sold out at the door...

But for now I haven't seen any tickets at all, and the rare time I see some for sale the prices are absurd.

overcast

I think hrd meant Half Way Home (which is incredible and has my favorite song of hers in You Are Song) but I'll also say listen to Strange Cacti. Amazing EP.
Done. I've come into too much music lately. I like to give a week to like 2 albums so I can focus on them. Weird habit. It slows me down, but I feel I can get a greater appreciation.

Unless I don't like them.

Jitters

What exactly was going trough their minds when they decided to put this online is all I'm thinking now? It's clearly meant as a joke except for the fact that it's not funny. Such a waste of bandwidth.

I would LOVE to be able to get paid to troll people. The dream job.

HiResDes

Yeah and I meant Half Way Home and I totally agree about Real estate

big ander

Absolutely Free - "Beneath the Air" (animated video)
i guess this is the right topic for psych- or kraut-pop stuff? Anyway really love this video for a track that's been growing even better over the past month or so, really looking forward to their long-in-the-making debut on lefse. Produced by Mike of Fucked Up. for fans of Tame Impala, Blues Control.

Lefse's also got Sea Oleena's proper full length debut coming out at the end of next month and the first song is one of her best so that label's in pretty great shape for 2014
If you are going to the Perfect Pussy/Joanna Gruesome shows be sure to get there in time to see the openers. Potty Mouth were really good.
Echoing this, saw PP and Potty Mouth and the latter were easily the best of the night, Potty Mouth are a damn fun band
Great new band I've come across called Buddy. Album is called Last Call for the Quiet Life. I've included a track below. These guys sound like a mix of The Shins and Pinback. There are some fantastic vocals and melodies on this album. Just really enjoyable from beginning to end

Weak Currents
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ErHyiOgtE
Enjoyed it a bit, gonna check out more. thanks for the tip

Finally got the new Tune Yards album

Kinda crazy how much their/her sound has changed. The random hip hop references/lines really bugs me. Other than that there are some good songs and solid productions

The new Blonde Redhead is phenomenal, gonna pre-order the vinyl, that's how much I'm feeling it.

Is it out there yet?

So, this is coming out in a month:

8af780b1.jpg

Great news uh? Then, Carrie Brownstein tweeted this

JwTMQLT.png

overcast

Ya'll are gonna have to tell me which Blonde Redhead albums to start with. I hate to do this a lot, but I don't have time to go through whole discogs (unless they are completely consistent).

Ya'll are gonna have to tell me which Blonde Redhead albums to start with. I hate to do this a lot, but I don't have time to go through whole discogs (unless they are completely consistent).

First 5 albums are really good, you should listen to them in a chronological order.
First record kinda sounds like a sonic youth ripoff untill they find their own sound in La Mia Vita Violenta.

Pacbois

So, this is coming out in a month:

8af780b1.jpg

Great news uh? Then, Carrie Brownstein tweeted this

JwTMQLT.png

I'd kill to have the boxset (despite the fact that I don't own a Vinyl player...)
As for their reunion, I don't think it's going to happen soon. Carrie seems to be more into acting/writing these days :(

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
So any one a fan of The Tea Party? if so their new album is steaming now
http://www.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?Stream+The+Tea+Party's+First+New+Album+In+10+Years+&id=460900
if your the US( like me) just install HOLA for chrome and set your country to Canada.

Nice! This is the original trio again, yeah? I haven't paid much attention in almost 15 years (always got the impression Jeff's solo stuff was a little too attached to the band's image to be distinctive) but I still break out Transmission and Tryptich on occasion.

Nice! This is the original trio again, yeah? I haven't paid much attention in almost 15 years (always got the impression Jeff's solo stuff was a little too attached to the band's image to be distinctive) but I still break out Transmission and Tryptich on occasion.

Yep same trio, and so far its great.

overcast

Really loving this Angel Olsen album (Halfway Home). Hitting a reallyy perfect spot between indie rock/pop and folk. Some albums just come along at the right time.

Top Bottom