• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

How were the replacements? i'm going to see them in a few days.

------------------------

Anyone like Ezra Furman? he's kind of like Violent Femmes meets New York Dolls meets The Replacements.

'Anything Can Happen'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGwXaSZ_Y7w

'My Zero'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4gZKeQq09g

'Are You Gonna Break My Heart'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7NFt6Kgne8

The Guardian: "Why Ezra Furman is the most compelling live act you can see right now " http://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...ost-compelling-live-act-you-can-see-right-now

They were really great, you're going to have a blast. No doubt.

Here some videos someone made during the Amsterdam show: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKJV0v0bVdT8EIj9wI786YwMUIbmfWFMf

big ander

I never got to see them with Lan :/ Ah well. I'm glad they're leaping out with a 7" seemingly soon this year too, give people an idea of how their sound will shift.

faridmon

Are DIIIV any good live? They are coming to town next week, but the venue is far away from which means that I have to actually take the bus, which sucks.

chris121580

Hell of a day for album releases! Really digging the new Dawes album. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin basically released an album that is a love letter to 90's indie rock, and of course Jamie XX. Haven't listened to the Florence and the Machine album yet but have been really into her new singles

Steamlord

Flying Saucer Attack?? Duuuuuuuude

My favorite comebacks of the past few years have been MBV and Chrome though. The quality of their new albums blew me away.

Steamlord

I don't think I am glad to hear this because I can't be bothered to travel 40 mins to see them.

Ah well, next time!

You consider 40 minutes a long time to travel for a concert? I'm fuckin' jelly, dude. I'm ecstatic when a band I like is performing less than three hours away.

Linius

Even for me as a Dutchie 40 minutes is normal. Door to door travel to Paradiso in Amsterdam is about 45 minutes for me. That's about the closest venue I got. Luckily I have both Utrecht and Amsterdam roughly an hour away from me so I have a pretty big range of venues I can go to. If only we had proper midnight train connections here I could even travel further. Now I can't because I wouldn't be able to come back, and I'm not gonna wait for the first train the next morning :p

faridmon

You consider 40 minutes a long time to travel for a concert? I'm fuckin' jelly, dude. I'm ecstatic when a band I like is performing less than three hours away.

I am fortunate to be living close to the City Centre where most venues are within walking distance. To be fair the public Transport in my city is not the best and is quite overpriced for what it is, hence me not liking to travel using it. Not to mention, I finish work really late and am tired most of the days, so 40 mins is quite a strain for me, relatively speaking.
Also, I don't drive, and that would make things considerably easy to travel, not only to that 40 mins away venue, but to other towns as well.

If only we had proper midnight train connections here I could even travel further. Now I can't because I wouldn't be able to come back, and I'm not gonna wait for the first train the next morning :p
I am actually thinking of doing exactly that this Sunday as I am travelling to Oxford to see Tellison live. The problem is that, the last train leaves 22:30 which is quite early as far as gigs go, So I was thinking spending the night there and catch an early train to comeback for my 9:00 work. I suppose I will be knackered that day, but I'll give that a try!

Linius

I only once did that for Le Guess Who? Festival last year. And only because the last act ended around 2:30am and the first train would leave around 5:00am. But I'd never do that on a workday :p

But hey, you know my schedule for The Strokes in a few weeks. That's gonna be hell too
p1kx90C.png

faridmon

I only once did that for Le Guess Who? Festival last year. And only because the last act ended around 2:30am and the first train would leave around 5:00am. But I'd never do that on a workday :p

But hey, you know my schedule for The Strokes in a few weeks. That's gonna be hell too
p1kx90C.png

Well, I am staying at a friends house so I can get some sleep before waking up early, but oh boy, you are in for a ride with crazy scheduling. Hope you survive and act sober :p
Speaking of Which, East India Youth's KEXP performance is online and man is he still as good and genuine as ever. His live performance was absolutely killer and he brings some of that swag into that neat little Live Set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNEnaH-UazU

Linius

So, Pitchfork Paris added some new names. Björk, Ariel Pink, Father John Misty and Destroyer to be exact. They already had Deerhunter, Beach House, Spiritualized, Hudson Mohawke and Rhye.

Not bad Paris, not bad at all.

Pacbois

So, Pitchfork Paris added some new names. Björk, Ariel Pink, Father John Misty and Destroyer to be exact. They already had Deerhunter, Beach House, Spiritualized, Hudson Mohawke and Rhye.

Really surprised by them getting Bjork but that's cool. Never got the chance to see her and won't probably pay for a show but happy to see her in an indoor fest. (If I can go)

Death Grips posted a free new thing earlier today, under the name "The i.l.y's"

http://t.co/7zg8PSRpja

I'm posting it here because it's clearly a rock record, with a shitton of distortion, some of you might like it. Zach Hill on vocals apparently, Ride on the last track.

Well fuck, Nothing has pulled out of their tour. I guess Merchandise was considered a co-headliner or something too since it doesn't look like the show is cancelled, and they and Cloakroom both fall into bands I wouldn't mind seeing with a band I want to see but I wouldn't go to see on their own. Need to see if I can pawn this ticket now I guess...

Valhelm

contribute something
Death Grips posted a free new thing earlier today, under the name "The i.l.y's"

http://t.co/7zg8PSRpja

I'm posting it here because it's clearly a rock record, with a shitton of distortion, some of you might like it. Zach Hill on vocals apparently, Ride on the last track.

I like this a lot more than their main stuff. The post/dance punk vibe is awesome. Is Stefan involve at all?

Articulate is probably the album's best.

Davey Cakes

I have to say, considering how much I don't care for most Country music, I'm in absolute love with Neko Case.

All of her albums are good, save the latest one IMO.

I highly recommend Blacklisted, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, and Middle Cyclone. Stellar stuff.

This probably falls into the category of Alternative Country which is more tuned to my ear, I guess. I'm also a fan of Ryan Adams and Smog (Bill Callahan).

overcast

Pretty fucking killer.

Linius

Due to the neighbour cancelling I get to go to Rock Werchter on a free. Not the best line-up you'll find this summer but I'm excited to go see Patti Smith performs Horses. Heard some really great things about her recent shows.

faridmon

Due to the neighbour cancelling I get to go to Rock Werchter on a free. Not the best line-up you'll find this summer but I'm excited to go see Patti Smith performs Horses. Heard some really great things about her recent shows.

For free, you can't complain.

The only ticket I ever got for free was Miyavi gig, even though I am not fan of him and the culture that surrounds him (It can get pretty nuts once you look down the rabbit hole) I was excited to him. It was an expensive gig as well.

Linius

Nope, I really can't. Werchter normally isn't really the kind of festival I'd go to anymore, mostly because it's just too expensive if you only wanna see a couple of things. Well, I made an exception for Blur two years ago. But like this, it's perfect. Archive is there too. Death Cab and a bunch of other interesting stuff. About two good things a day and some random stuff to kill the time with. Going to a festival where I don't have a tight schedule is also kind of relaxing.

By the way, I just bought a new air pump for airbeds. So I'll have that with me next week, just in case you were planning on carrying that.

faridmon

By the way, I just bought a new air pump for airbeds. So I'll have that with me next week, just in case you were planning on carrying that.

Yeah, I might take you on that. I asked around and no one has an airbed they can lend me. I might have landed one good tent, which my friend is planning to lend it to me, but other than that, nah.

big ander

New Beck is pretty blandly funky dance rock. save the breakdown at 3 minutes, that I like. None of the hypersexual soul of Midnite Vultures. edit: still has me hoping he'll do something spacier and poppier on this album though; if Morning Phase was going backwards to revisit ideas from Sea Change then it'd be a good time to go back one more record and revisit the Midnite Vultures style.
There's something in this song that sounds a lot like MGMT. Isn't this the most radio friendly thing he's ever done?

eh I dunno. It's up there as some of his least offensive material but it's not like I see Dreams being more of a sensation than "Loser" or anything on Odelay. The thing with those cuts is that they weren't radio-friendly as much as they became hits while being idiosyncratic.

chris121580

This debut album by Kid Astray is so good. It's everything I was wanting from the new Passion Pit album which I found incredibly disappointing

Top Bottom