• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

This debut album by Kid Astray is so good. It's everything I was wanting from the new Passion Pit album which I found incredibly disappointing

YES!!!!

Its really good and I am glad I chose this album to be hyped about for months.
Also, I don't know about Itunes, but Amazon mp3 are selling the deluxe version only and its packed with 15 tracks. Those Bonus tracks are as good as well.

Oh, they also sold out their two gigs in London pretty fast. I can them getting big if they keep up the momentum.

Cool. I found No Joy's previous albums a bit bland, but I'll have to give this one a listen.

Yeah, I found it underwhelming as well. Maybe the fact that their gig was shit made me a bit cynical towards them, but I find their music to be just generic Noise/Shoegaze music with a lot elements stolen from various bands. I can hear The Megaphonic Thrift, No Age, Echo Lake, A Place to Bury Strangers, Liars (Pre- Sisterworld), and many others band in their music and nothing stands out as their own!

YES!

abc9902e.jpg

PAVEMENT RARITIES / LIVE COMP SERIES
edit: ... these are just the same b-sides cds from the reissues? fuck.

big ander

yea best coast are pretty vocally hated by large swaths of music fans

first album still has some catchy songs. I never listened to anything after.

Pacbois

Just found out about a small festival in Belgium called Rock Herk, it's 40€ for two days and while the line-up is full of small stuff I don't really know, they do have Slowdive (!!!!!), Eagulls, Blood Red Shoes and Helmet so I'm definitly trying to go now.

I heard Wolf Alice first álbum and is pretty good, i'm sold this band has talent

ive been listening to them a bit lately and could've gotten me in trouble! i had my headphones in at work and listening to them on spotify when someone came up to ask me a question about something so i turned on my phone screen to put it on pause and of course their album i was listening to is just a pic of a girl laying down topless. thankfully the phone was faced towards me and my female coworker didn't see!

they're alright though. wish it was a bit heavier at times but not too shabby

Linius

I saw Wolf Alice live today. Was really great.

Rock Herk is solid too.

Best kept secret was fucking anazibg. You Frenchies should come over next year.

Yeah, I found it underwhelming as well. Maybe the fact that their gig was shit made me a bit cynical towards them, but I find their music to be just generic Noise/Shoegaze music with a lot elements stolen from various bands. I can hear The Megaphonic Thrift, No Age, Echo Lake, A Place to Bury Strangers, Liars (Pre- Sisterworld), and many others band in their music and nothing stands out as their own!

I don't disagree that No Joy is somewhat derivative, but everyone of those bands you listed is pretty derivative as well. No Joy are pulling from some early 90s bands, just as I'd say the bands you listed are, in No Joy's case I think Lush and Curve figure strongly.

Linius

After having seen Alvvays live I've further confirmed my crush on Molly Rankin. God, she's adorable.

Also, if The Jesus and Mary Chain are doing a Psychocandy show anywhere near you, go! Damn that was incredbile. They completely blew me away with it. Also really liked Wolf Alice, really need to check out the album they dropped this week.

Oh and Pacbois, I'd recommend Afterpartees at Rock Herk. That's a Dutch garage band, they're quite fun and really energetic live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyZEWcJ-wrU.

Daeda

I second the Jesus and Mary Chain recommend. As for other BKS recommendations:

Go see Vessels and Hookworms live. Also, if you're not Belgian or Dutch you probably dont know this yet, but Balthazar is one of the best live bands out there right now.

Linius

Yeah, Balthazar is really great. But I skipped them at BKS because I've seen them about 5 times in the past two years. They play too many festivals around here. Thus I'm seeing them at Werchter this weekend :p

Also checked out both Vessels and Hookworms. The latter one for the second time so I knew what to expect, fucking amazing these guys. Too bad for them some idiot went crowd surfing and landed on his head which kind of disrupted the gig. And Vessels were great as well. It's fascinating to see so many guys on stage completely sucked in by their music. Funny thing is that both these bands are from Leeds. Faridmon actually told me about the current scene they got going there. For example Menace Beach and Eagulls are from there as well. I don't know what they're doing with the water over there, but it's good.

I also heavily recommend checking it out STUFF. live. Though they probably won't tour a lot outside of Belgium at the moment since they're still pretty new. I've tried plugging these guys a few times before here to no avail, but I won't give up :p

Linius

You would be most welcome.

Here's a video of Jonny Greenwood playing Electric Counterpoint from Steve Reich at Best Kept Secret: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNWR47gwy0A

This was such a special performance. At 11am on sunday, Jonny with the London Contemporary Orchestra performing some of his OST music and a couple of songs from others like this one. He also played Love from the Under the Skin OST.

Pacbois

I saw Noel Gallagher for a free show in the middle of Paris.

The 90's man, we even got Don't Look Back In Anger

#OasisCoachella2016

Linius

His solo shows thrive on Don't Look Back in Anger to be honest. And other Oasis classics. I don't think he'll ever do a tour without playing those. I wonder if there's even been a solo gig from him without Don't Look Back in Anger yet :p

He said in an interview not too long ago that the only reason he plays Don't Look Back in Anger and other Oasis songs is because he knows people want that. I believe his reasoning was "I'll play what you want if you let me play what I want." What he wants being the new songs he's touring for.

BoerBert

You would be most welcome.

Here's a video of Jonny Greenwood playing Electric Counterpoint from Steve Reich at Best Kept Secret: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNWR47gwy0A

This was such a special performance. At 11am on sunday, Jonny with the London Contemporary Orchestra performing some of his OST music and a couple of songs from others like this one. He also played Love from the Under the Skin OST.

Definitely the highlight of the weekend for me. Especially Loop, the last track, was wonderful. The rain really added something to the atmosphere, I think.

Pacbois

His solo shows thrive on Don't Look Back in Anger to be honest. And other Oasis classics. I don't think he'll ever do a tour without playing those. I wonder if there's even been a solo gig from him without Don't Look Back in Anger yet :p

His own stuff was clearly not that bad. It's a bit 90's cliché and "Manchester's best Oasis tribute band" but I had fun.

Drenge and Temples were opening as well, all in all, pretty fun night.

faridmon

I don't disagree that No Joy is somewhat derivative, but everyone of those bands you listed is pretty derivative as well. No Joy are pulling from some early 90s bands, just as I'd say the bands you listed are, in No Joy's case I think Lush and Curve figure strongly.

They are the only band I am familiar with that have the similar sound, lol
But can't help No Joy being really derivative. one can only muster the same style for so many times.

My hilighight of the Best Kept Secret was, The Jesus and Mary Chain doing Psychocandy (Can't believe how fresh that sounded after years of bands copying their style), Ride (Bloody amazing show with those two tracks cobbled toegther with a reverbed and distorted noise), Ariel Pink (Just pure pleasure, even though I was dead tired) Kiasmos (Iam a changed man in relationship to techno, what a show) and Gengahr (Just absolute bliss of math-pop performance)

Oh and Daniel Wilson for just surprising the hell out of me. It also helps he was the one who got the most applaud from the audience than any other band/artist and STUFF. for being weird, but in the good sense. Linuis knows his shit!

Also, I am loving the new Circa Waves album. Its not deep, but its simple and enjoyable and reminds me alot of The Vaccines and their first album (before they turned into a shitty band)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Especially annoying if that Lost River soundtrack, which was a big bag of dicks, contributed to delaying things further.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I guess this just came out on itunes tonight

wavves-cloud-nothings-2.jpg

I am not personally interested in either of these people/bands, but someone else probably is, so yeah

Not exactly my dream Cloud nothings collab. They seem do be drifting further and further away from the post-hardcore influence and production style of Attack on Memory.

I guess this just came out on itunes tonight

wavves-cloud-nothings-2.jpg

I am not personally interested in either of these people/bands, but someone else probably is, so yeah

It's not a good Wavves rec, nor a good Cloud Nothinds rec. It's not good, even by "rock band collab" standards.
I was kind of expecting something this dull tbh.

Pacbois

It's not a good Wavves rec, nor a good Cloud Nothinds rec. It's not good, even by "rock band collab" standards.
I was kind of expecting something this dull tbh.

Oh really ? Damn.

I don't really care about Wavves but Cloud Nothings are one of my favourite bands so I was sort of hyped by this. Shame.

Linius

Just wanna say that if Patti Smith comes near you performing Horses, just go. She's seems to be in the prime of her life. At this age she's still winning 15K big crowds at ease. Strong voice/personality, great band, classic album. There's not much more a music fan can ask for.

All in all I had a pretty great edition of Rock Werchter last weekend. Muse played one of their finest setlists in years and I managed to see Death Cab again. Saw Fait No More for the first time. And a bunch of other cool gigs.

Currently listening to the Wavves/Cloud Nothings record, sounds nice. I love both bands though. Judging these first few songs it sounds more towards Wavves, definitely not the heavy sound Cloud Nothings usually brings. More surfy.

omgkitty

it's been 132 days since Valentine's Day, Johnny.

Johnny. Johnny Jewel. What's up. Are you still alive? COME ON.

I mean he does this every time. Haven't they said there's supposed to be a new Desire and Glass Candy album? At this point I just put it out of my mind because I know one day there will be a tweet from Pitchfork or whoever telling us the new Chromatics album is out now.

Fjordson

I mean he does this every time. Haven't they said there's supposed to be a new Desire and Glass Candy album? At this point I just put it out of my mind because I know one day there will be a tweet from Pitchfork or whoever telling us the new Chromatics album is out now.
Definitely a new Glass Candy album that's been in the works for years called "Body Work". Johnny's been talking about that album since 2010 (not joking). Also supposedly been a full-length Farrah album in the works for 2-3 years now.

Their manager has dropped hints about Dear Tommy on Twitter the last few months, so I do think it'll drop before 2016, but the wait sure is brutal. And who knows about Body Work.

big ander

Come Down and Nervous are good songs. they also feel more Baldi-leaning. the Wavves surfier stuff is just okay, though I disagree that they've lost all of the post-hardcore sound. lot of dissonant touches on this record, more than Williams usually includes.

I read reactions hours after the surprise release along the lines of "I don't like Wavves or Cloud Nothings and this is bad too." I love that because I can't imagine listening to an album 75 minutes after it comes out when I don't like any of the people making it

faridmon

I really like Cloud Nothings' recent output, so I am gonna try it out. Not familiar with Wavves music so I don't know what to expect, in the very least, I think this should be a different side of Cloud Nothings. Looking forward to it!

Another album to look forward later this year is Kate Boy's debut in November, which is simply titled One, Looking forward to it.

They just released a new song 2 days ago and it sounds great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ERQNdfDAM8

Top Bottom