• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Come Down and Nervous are good songs. they also feel more Baldi-leaning. the Wavves surfier stuff is just okay, though I disagree that they've lost all of the post-hardcore sound. lot of dissonant touches on this record, more than Williams usually includes.

I read reactions hours after the surprise release along the lines of "I don't like Wavves or Cloud Nothings and this is bad too." I love that because I can't imagine listening to an album 75 minutes after it comes out when I don't like any of the people making it

I llistened to the thing two times before posting my reactions.
I love Cloud Nothings, and I enjoyed Wavves first records, but this just sounds really weak. There's no energy build up like wasted days, no catchy as fuck tune like super soaker.

I'll give it another try but there's not instant love thing like the others CN albums.

Linius

As expected after their EP I love Bully's album. Saw they're touring with Best Coast mostly in the US. When looking at their Last.fm page though I noticed they have a gig with Protomartyr coming up in july. That's a pretty sweet combo for Chicago folks.

Yeah, i've been really enjoying it too. Some songs got so stucked in my head I couldn't sleep.
Can't rememeber if I saw it here, but this Valet album on Kranky really does it for me. The first song kinda sounds like Slowdive covered by Grouper.

Sunday

As expected after their EP I love Bully's album. Saw they're touring with Best Coast mostly in the US. When looking at their Last.fm page though I noticed they have a gig with Protomartyr coming up in july. That's a pretty sweet combo for Chicago folks.

ya i listened to it the other day, unsurprisingly i liked it a lot. Gonna try seeing them in October

Fjordson

Bully is so awesome. The vocals really get me.

Yeah, i've been really enjoying it too. Some songs got so stucked in my head I couldn't sleep.
Can't rememeber if I saw it here, but this Valet album on Kranky really does it for me. The first song kinda sounds like Slowdive covered by Grouper.

Sunday
Love that track.

Pacbois

Seeing Lightning Bolt playing in the middle of the crowd of one of Paris best venues during a heatwave was such a crazy awesome thing

Linius

MSzb.png

Good shit

Guess I still have a chance to see Lightning Bolt this year

faridmon

Viet Cong, A Place to bury Strangers and Protmartyr. Good stuff there of Post-Punk goodness! would love to go there just for those 3.

big ander

I like this Beach House song but I'm hoping for a more sedate album overall. This song's fun, it's huge and loud, but their description of what they're going for with Depression Cherry has me wanting something blissed out and slow.

for shits because I've been listening to them a lot these past couple weeks: anybody else got an Unwound ranking? I know there are some fans of them in here. I haven't heard their earliest cassette but of all the proper LPs:
Repetition > New Plastic Ideas > Leaves Turn Inside You (Disc 1/Left disc/2) > Unwound > Challenge for a Civilized Society > Fake Train > Leaves Turn Inside You (Disc 2/Right disc/3) > The Future of What
Or taking Leaves as one: Repetition > New Plastic Ideas > Unwound > Challenge for a Civilized Society = Leaves Turn Inside You > Fake Train > The Future of What
I llistened to the thing two times before posting my reactions.
I love Cloud Nothings, and I enjoyed Wavves first records, but this just sounds really weak. There's no energy build up like wasted days, no catchy as fuck tune like super soaker.

I'll give it another try but there's not instant love thing like the others CN albums.

Oh I didn't mean you—or anyone in this thread. I know people in here like cloud nothings and know what they're talking about. I saw a handful of people doing that on a different site and thought it was hilarious. there's so much music out there and so many things a person can do with their time and they choose to listen to a collab album from artists they don't like within minutes of release. it's surreal to me, like there are two dozen albums from artists I really really like that came out this year—not to mention a thousand albums from past years by artists I like or that I know I'd want to hear—that I haven't heard yet. I can't imagine using my time the way some people on the internet do lol.

faridmon

Holy shit. Modest Mouse are coming to town on Sunday and there is some tickets left still. I guess this is the last time they are gonna show up in Birmingham.
Anyway, debating if I should go, £20 is a bit steep and I am not too big of a fan to fork that money for them, but on the other hand, They are freaking Modest Mouse!

Decisions, decisions...

Steamlord

I'm digging Sparks. Bloom was good but it didn't really do much to set itself apart from Teen Dream. This feels fresh.

for shits because I've been listening to them a lot these past couple weeks: anybody else got an Unwound ranking? I know there are some fans of them in here. I haven't heard their earliest cassette but of all the proper LPs:
Repetition > New Plastic Ideas > Leaves Turn Inside You (Disc 1/Left disc/2) > Unwound > Challenge for a Civilized Society > Fake Train > Leaves Turn Inside You (Disc 2/Right disc/3) > The Future of What
Or taking Leaves as one: Repetition > New Plastic Ideas > Unwound > Challenge for a Civilized Society = Leaves Turn Inside You > Fake Train > The Future of What

That's tough, they're such a consistent band. But I guess I'd say:
Leaves Turn Inside You = Repetition > The Future of What > New Plastic Ideas > Challenge for a Civilized Society > Fake Train > Unwound

So...they pretty much kept getting better and better in my opinion, though Challenge was kind of a dip in quality. It feels like cheating to rank Leaves and Repetition equally, but I honestly can't choose one over the other.

faridmon

I'm seeing Modest Mouse on Friday. Hopefully the airconditioning will be functioning properly.

Yeah there is the heat to consider. I can barely walk to work which is 10 mins away from where I live, let alone walk half an hour in this scorching temperature.

Fjordson

Libertines are coming out with a new album. "Anthems for Doomed Youth". Out September 4th.

17b8e965.jpg

No clue if this will actually be good, but I like that Pete and Carl are working together again. I really miss all that early 2000's rock tbh. Lots of basic guitar, drums, bass and vocals music that was super catchy.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
New album from Spirit Night coming up next week. The single on Bandcamp is real nice.

From the page: "RIYL: The Go-Betweens, The Magnetic Fields, Galaxie 500, Neil Young, Big Star, The National" if that helps encourage any listeners.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
whoa

https://chaptermusic.bandcamp.com/album/how-far-will-you-go
Chapter Music is excited to present the first ever reissue of wild and outlandish 1970s LA pre-punk icons Smokey. Featuring cameos from James Williamson of the Stooges, Randy Rhoads of Quiet Riot/Ozzy Osbourne and members of the Motels, King Crimson, David Bowie’s Tin Machine, Suburban Lawns and many others, the Smokey story has to be heard to be believed.

In 1973, two wide-eyed young music fans made their way to Los Angeles and were introduced by a notoriously touchy-feely road manager for the Doors. They fell into a relationship that would produce five of the most criminally neglected singles of the decade, as well as a treasure trove of unreleased recordings.

Released in 1974, first single Leather b/w Miss Ray wasn’t just openly gay, it was exultantly, unapologetically gay, examining front-on the newly-liberated leather and drag scenes thriving in America’s urban centres. The single was shopped around to labels using Emmons’ industry contacts, but doors were regularly slammed on the duo. “We can’t put this out, it’s a fucking gay record, what’s the matter with you,” said one record exec, while adding “it’s really good though.”

So Smokey formed S&M Records, with a logo featuring a muscular arm encased in studded cuffs, and “S&M” tattooed on the bulging bicep. They went on to self- release five singles that span pre-punk, stoner jams, disco, synth-punk and more, all stamped with Smokey’s fearless candour.

The live band played almost weekly at Rodney Bingenheimer‘s English Disco, with a band featuring 14 year old future Quiet Riot-ers Randy Rhoads and Kelly Garni.
Then there’s the raft of unreleased recordings, including a 9 minute disco workout entitled Piss Slave, and two versions of Million Dollar Babies, an ode to New York’s notorious trucks where men would go late at night to trick.

faridmon

Anyone else have this weird bug on Last fm where your tracks gets srobbled like 4 times upon listening to it just once? I really love the Wavves and Cloud Nothings Collab album, but I am sure I haven't listened to it 95 times in less than a day.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Latest entry in the twelve year saga of the Wrens' fourth album:

https://www.facebook.com/thewrens/posts/10153317095569961
...although it's still sinking in, haven't felt this relieved, this unburdened & happy, in well over the five years spent making/resenting it. Put technically, holy fuck.

So what's left before you can bit-torrent the crap out of it from some obscure file-sharing site on the dark web?

- Well, it means that the demo-ing is officially over now and actual recording of the album can begin ASAP.
- kidding
- Ok really, so everything's being mastered now. That's where they assemble the individually mixed songs into the actual album format, connect the running order the way you want, dot some sonic 'i's and cross 't's that you (read: me) messed up making the thing in your (my/our) house, match the levels to make all of the tracks sound like they belong on the same album...that sorta thing. The mastered v. of it will be done by the time I'm home next weekend awaiting a thumbs-up approval, then that goes to the label and they manufacture from there.
- in the meantime some quick artwork will be hashed out.
- After the label gets all that in the next week or two, they'll set a release date and any number of fancy wheels start turning, not the least of which is that the label, having an actual record in hand, will be comfortable announcing they're officially gonna put it out and I can stop referring to them as 'the label' ("the wrens" herein and forthwith referred to as "Artist").

Oddly enough, this absurdly long period of time doesn't bother me since I know they'll deliver something wonderful; Johnny Jewel, on the other hand, could take 12 years and still end up with a lot of unnecessary bloat that hinders my enjoyment of half the album. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

big ander

stupid wrens actually nearly finishing their album. now I don't have infinite time to fill in my blind spots with them—which is really just Silver and some EPs/singles

Linius

Libertines are coming out with a new album. "Anthems for Doomed Youth". Out September 4th.

17b8e965.jpg

No clue if this will actually be good, but I like that Pete and Carl are working together again. I really miss all that early 2000's rock tbh. Lots of basic guitar, drums, bass and vocals music that was super catchy.

They played the first single of it at the Best Kept Secret festival. Was quite alright.

Linius

Well yeah, you freaking live there m8. Just do whatever it takes, but a line-up like this can't be missed. I'm gonna keep this one in mind. Train+Hotel+Ticket is quite some money :/

Yesterday I saw Modest Mouse by the way. Despite sound issues it was a great gig. Was very happy that we got three songs from The Moon & Antartica, my favourite album by them. Other than that a lot of Good News songs and from the new album of course. And Doin' the Cockroach from their debut. Isaac is quite the character.

faridmon

I am really really really loving the Wavves and Cloud Nothings collab album. Its low-key and light-hearted, but the addicted riffs of Cloud Nothings are still there. That coupled with the surfy feel of the Wavves and you get a damn irresistible records. Too bad its so short.

Linius

It being so short is part of why I love it. It doesn't overstay it's welcome and keeps fresh. And short albums are always screaming for that repeat button. It works for this kind of music. Just like with Joanna Gruesome.

By the way, have you uploaded your BKS pictures anywhere yet? I need to see those!

Pacbois

Well yeah, you freaking live there m8. Just do whatever it takes, but a line-up like this can't be missed. I'm gonna keep this one in mind. Train+Hotel+Ticket is quite some money :/

Money is always short for me m8 :( I would have loved to host for this one but sadly I thing won't be able too, maybe next year.

Linius

Money is always short for me m8 :( I would have loved to host for this one but sadly I thing won't be able too, maybe next year.

My problem is mostly that I want too much. So many festivals and gigs I want to go to. Meanwhile I'm still buying games to fill up the backlog. And I live alone now so I should keep track of my budgets.

With the hotel part out of the way things surely look a lot better. The good thing now I have my own place is that I can always offer a bench as well. So in case you ever wanna visit things like Le Guess Who? you know where to reach me.

New Tame Impala album dropped by the way guys. Gonna give it a listen tonight.

overcast

First impression of the Tame Impala album is it is definitely better than their last. Groovy as hell.

Although, to be fair I wasn't a fan of Lonerism much at all.

Fjordson

I really like the new Impala. I wasn't too into their first couple albums, so this change to more pop / dance music is a welcomed change.

BoerBert

I like it too. Some songs I can't really get into and also make the album a bit too long for me, but the highlights are damn high.

chris121580

New releases now come out on Friday starting this week? This blows! I always looked forward to new music on Tuesdays...helped break up the week some

faridmon

I like it too. Trippy and cheerfull.

Did you guys check out Swim from Nicolas Jaar by the way? Such a tune.

YES. Jaar is awesome. I was introduced to him by housemates I had in London and he is pretty much amazing. Sad to see us miss his side project because f flipping ATP.

Arkeband

Banned
Has anyone posted the new Coheed song yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydkfdq0Xggo

IMO it's a little 'safe' for Coheed, not only because they're distancing themselves from their scifi/conceptual stuff (they haven't really done justice to that since Good Apollo 2), but there's nothing really instrumentally involved here. If this song was grasping for radio play, I could see it being 'nobody gives a ___ who you are" being the kind of things edgy teens would repeat.

I'll wait and see for this album, it can't be any more desperate than Black Rainbow, but hopefully it's more of a return to form than Ascension/Descension, which had high highs but low lows.

faridmon

Well, they were working on it even when releasing their first album so Its no surprise.
But yeah, great news, they are doing a live show in September here as well.

Linius

Just noticed Beautiful Blue Sky will be on the new album. So happy to see that finally happen.

I tweeted them this last year: @internetought hey guys, will Beautiful Blue Sky ever be on an LP/EP? I love that song. Hoped to see it on the new EP, but it's not :(

And they never replied to that tweet :p

big ander

eight songs in April 2014, four in October, eight more in September 2015. it's quick but it's a pace I wish more bands were keeping. feels like too many bands now stick to the 2-3 year cycle when today's market should allow them to do more frequent releases, which often pays off--artistically, at least--for rock and punk and post-punk bands. maybe this is a ridiculous standard to hold a band to, but I feel like if Talking Heads, Can, VU, Bowie and so many more got where they got releasing on average 1 record every <2 years maybe don't spend 3 years on your garage rock lp

I agree. But nowadays every indie band that even slightly makes it has multiple tours, festival season and a seemingly endless supply of Bandcamp side projects to keep them occupied.

And I'm just sitting here waiting for a new Justin Vernon project.

Top Bottom