• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

Guys, there is Johnny Foreigner who pumps records like no body's business.
Wish they gave some of their hormones to The Joy Formidable.

And I'm just sitting here waiting for a new Justin Vernon project.

He produced The Stave's recent album 'If i Was':

n1WlN6J.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9hQEXSsoUys#t=25

Which is good.

big ander

I'll check out Johnny Foreigner.
Potty Mouth seem to have wrapped up recording their new album, looking forward to seeing how it turned out.
nicenice.

Just saw Yuck say they're premiering a single tomorrow too. guessing a new album in the fall. Wonder what Daniel Blumberg is up to, I wouldn't turn down another Hebronix record but I think dude's moving away from music entirely.

Pacbois

It's official, next week i'm going to the small belgian town of Herk to see Slowdive (!!!!!!!!), Blood Red Shoes, Helmet, Eagulls and more. I'm super happy.
btw guys I may need your help, we'll have a long drive to get there and I'd like a good road trip playlist. Granted, french and belgian roads are not as glamourous as american highways but a good soundtrack will still be ace.

In other news, I'm really digging No Life For Me, Come Down and Hard to Find are such great songs.

big ander

american highways glamorous?? I'm not clear on what's glamorous about monotone fields far as the eye can see and the steady stench of cow shit, or eroding industrial wasteland with...somehow still the steady stench of cow shit; I can say that in either case I like to do long drives to post-rock. Explosions in the Sky, Do Make Say Think. makes all the ugliness somehow grand

Pacbois

american highways glamorous?? I'm not clear on what's glamorous about monotone fields far as the eye can see and the steady stench of cow shit, or eroding industrial wasteland with...somehow still the steady stench of cow shit; I can say that in either case I like to do long drives to post-rock. Explosions in the Sky, Do Make Say Think. makes all the ugliness somehow grand

haha I know I was just referring to that fantasy of the american road trip, but all roads are sort of the same anyway yeah.

Fjordson

There are some incredible drives here in California. Especially near the coast.

Would be a nice place to live if not for being stupidly expensive and in the middle of an awful drought =[

Linius

In his defense, Belgian roads are about the worst thing a human can encounter. In the civilised world that is.

Linius

AFKaVku.jpg

#TOMORROW I'm having a #BBQ at 153 Morgan ave in #brooklyn #penis. We're selling #4daypassesforthenycshowsinaugust. Bring a food bank donation and I will #makeyouafuckinghotdog. #chillngrill. I'm going to be playing a bunch of #unreleasedmusicofmine over my #carstereofucker #peaceonearth. BBQ STARTS AT 1 PM

You just gotta love this dude

Linius

I remember that, I was standing near to her. She wasn't the only one emotional like that. At the end (8:07) you can see Simon Scott toss a drumstick into the audience which landed on my head. And the worst thing is that I don't even have it in my posession. I did get a setlist off stage though.

chris121580

Ugh, this is really sad news if Justin Vernon doesn't do another Bon Iver album

http://pitchfork.com/news/60297-jus...-no-plans-for-another-bon-iver-album-or-tour/

Back in 2012, Bon Iver's Justin Vernon said the band was "winding it down" for an extended break. In a new interview with Grantland, Vernon said that the only planned Bon Iver activity in the near future is a closing set at Eaux Claires Music & Arts Festival, the festival curated by Vernon and the National's Aaron Dessner that takes place July 17-18 in Vernon's hometown of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. And that's it: no album or further shows are in the works.

Vernon told Grantland, "I definitely care about the Bon Iver thing a lot, but it’s kind of my thing and there’s only so much time you can spend with yourself before you just become an asshole. So you gotta push it."

"As far as putting a record together, I don’t really know what’s happening," he said. "Our show is our main focus. We don’t have anything booked after this. We don’t have any plans. We’re not being secretive — we just don’t have any plans. It’s just about, Play the show and put all of our energy into one show — for once in my life, let’s just play one fucking show and care just about this one show for a goddamn change."

Vernon told Grantland that the band "might play some new stuff" but was noncommittal. He also described the creative process behind the band's new material. "I’ve been taking it really slow," he said. "I don’t mean to get all cerebral about my art, but I’ve been trying to collect improvisations and collect moments...I just think maybe I ran my course with being able to come up with new moments on the guitar."

Elsewhere in the interview, he talked about wanting to write from a "real" perspective, unaffected by all the attention the band has gotten since its inception.
The band's last release was 2011's self-titled record.

big ander

Man that p4k post really twists his words. he says there are no plans, but not in a way that means one won't ever happen. Just that he's noodling around and isn't setting anything in stone until he knows what he's trying to make.

faridmon

visions-round3-eflyer-1024x728.jpg

Vision festival added bunch of new names and I really can't wait to be there this year as well. Holy Fuck, Gazelle Twins, HO99O9, Blanck Mass and Theo Varney all sound like an awesome addition. I am also excited to The Big Moon which is a new all female band which is getting a lot of excitement all around *coughthenextbigthingcough* and Claw Marks sounds like an OK band from all the Youtube videos they have. They are still adding more which is cool!
Last year was a blast, even though I have missed Veronica Falls and The History of Apple pies amongst others (because of lame friends I had) but I am gonna be sure to take advantage this year.

Linius, you coming?

omgkitty

Bon Iver news is disappointing if only because I haven't liked anything Vernon has done outside of Bon Iver.

In other exciting news, new Beach House album is out in the wild, and it's great.

Linius

http://visionsfestival.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/visions-round3-eflyer-1024x728.jpg[/img

Vision festival added bunch of new names and I really can't wait to be there this year as well. Holy Fuck, Gazelle Twins, HO99O9, Blanck Mass and Theo Varney all sound like an awesome addition. I am also excited to The Big Moon which is a new all female band which is getting a lot of excitement all around *coughthenextbigthingcough* and Claw Marks sounds like an OK band from all the Youtube videos they have. They are still adding more which is cool!
Last year was a blast, even though I have missed Veronica Falls and The History of Apple pies amongst others (because of lame friends I had) but I am gonna be sure to take advantage this year.

Linius, you coming?[/QUOTE]

Nice line-up, If I had that money tree I'd be down.

[quote="omgkitty, post: 171381188"]Bon Iver news is disappointing if only because I haven't liked anything Vernon has done outside of Bon Iver.

In other exciting news, new Beach House album is out in the wild, and it's great.[/QUOTE]

Destroyer's new album as well. What a time to be alive.

omgkitty

Nice line-up, If I had that money tree I'd be down.

Destroyer's new album as well. What a time to be alive.

I've had to ignore the new Destroyer for now. I don't think I can switch back and forth between Beach House and that and I'm just so into Depression Cherry at the moment.

Linius

New Mac DeMarco is also floating around by the way. It's quite a day. This year is shaping up great. Still have Ought and DIIV to look forward to.

omgkitty

Listening to the new Destroyer album and maybe I need to listen a few more times but it simply isn't hitting my like Kaputt did.

Fjordson

Listening to the new Destroyer album and maybe I need to listen a few more times but it simply isn't hitting my like Kaputt did.
Same here.

But when it comes to Destroyer, I'm one of those fans people complain about who only like a band's most popular album lol. Always respected Bejar, but none of the Destroyer albums ever stuck with me until Kaputt. That's definitely one of my favourite albums ever.

edit: the new Mac DeMarco is great. Everything this guy puts out is gold.

What a set of leaks to wake up to.
Good thing I have tomorrow off, going to have to pace myself

Destroyer is difficult for me because there's almost no chance it equals Kaputt in my eyes, love that album to death.

overcast

New Chelsea Wolfe out there. This day needs to slow the fuck down.

Destroyer have made two of my favorite albums ever, so I'm interested to see how the new one sounds. I don't necessarily expect it to immediately hit. Determining whether to listen to Poison Season or Depression Cherry first. Gonna give each their own time.

big ander

New Youth Lagoon Savage Hills Ballroom coming probably this fall/winter:

Announced via a url on a 7" he's giving away at select record stores today. Which is a cool thing that people who don't have, you know, a job can pick up

HiResDes

New Chelsea Wolfe is phenomenal, going to see The Swiriles and or Circuit Yes Deux today! I think I really like the new Alpine record, and I don't usually enjoy too much indie pop.

Linius

What do you guys think of the last track on Mac's new album? Just some synths over ocean sounds. It's weird but relaxing in a way.

Here's the address by the way: Click.

Any New Yorkers ever been to this neighbourhood?

Top Bottom