• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

linsivvi

Just saw Born Gold, Braids, and Purity Ring back to back to back. Braids are even better live. God damn. Austin, the drummer, was manning the merch table after the show so I got to shower him with praise. He seemed like a really cool and modest guy, told me the songs from the new album were really fun to play. I don't doubt it, since the drums are even more prominent live. Apparently Raphaelle was hanging around somewhere after the show, but the venue was still packed so I didn't see her. No big deal though.

Just saw Braids. They are truly amazing live.

I saw Raphaelle as Blue Hawaii previously and wasn't too impressed so this is a nice surprise.

Osorio

What do you guys think of the last track on Mac's new album? Just some synths over ocean sounds. It's weird but relaxing in a way.

Here's the address by the way: Click.

Any New Yorkers ever been to this neighbourhood?

Far Rockaway is chill and a bit of an anomaly. A New Yorker, Irish beach town in a sense.

At least, the western side of the peninsula. The eastern side can be a bit rough.

Linius

Go grab that cup of coffee and say hi to Mac for us. Man if I lived around there I would have gone to his BBQ thing from last week. He seems like such a relaxed dude. After his gig in Paris last summer he told the crowd to come look him up and chill with him. I went to see other bands but I wonder if anyone went and had a crazy time :p

faridmon

Just saw Braids. They are truly amazing live.

I saw Raphaelle as Blue Hawaii previously and wasn't too impressed so this is a nice surprise.

Lol I wanted to see Blue Hawaii so badly but I keep missing their gig for another band that is playing the night they do and I keep hating myself. Glad I haven't missed a lot.

I really want to see Braids live, which they had a UK tour.

HiResDes

Swirlies sounded really spot on besides one glaring flaw. The vocals were so low in the mix that all of their words were inaudible even when they resorted to belting. I was standing right in the front row and thought that might have been the problem, but I moved back and it wasn't any better.

Fjordson

What do you guys think of the last track on Mac's new album? Just some synths over ocean sounds. It's weird but relaxing in a way.

Here's the address by the way: Click.

Any New Yorkers ever been to this neighbourhood?
Yeah that last track is weird (in a good way). When it first came on I was thinking I'd skip it, but then before I knew it the whole track had played lol.

I really like the new album. I like that he's using synths more now. Think No Other Heart is my favourite track.

First Listen: Tame Impala's Currents
http://www.npr.org/2015/07/12/420832435/first-listen-tame-impala-currents

Parker is candid and complex in interviews, and that reflectiveness carries over to songs that issue thoughtful confessions: As its title suggests, "Yes I'm Changing" is full of them, as he advocates for constant reinvention — and, not for nothing, contradicts the odes to introversion and solitude on 2012's tellingly named Lonerism. ("I can't aways hide away / Curse indulgence and despise the fame / There is a world out there, it's calling my name.") That commitment to evolution helps make Tame Impala an unlikely but worthy candidate for major stardom: Some of its moves work better than others, but it's a band that takes every crossroads seriously before opting for the thorniest possible path.

edit: its also out there btw.

Mau ®

Just came in here to say Wolf Alice's album My Love Is Cool is pretty great. Didn't see much talk about that here though.

It's available on Spotify, for the curious.

Pacbois

checking out all the small bands on the Rock Herk line-up for next weekend and most of them actually sounds pretty cool but it's not reall a surprise has belgium always had a pretty good rock scene.

But I'm still just totally going there for Slowdive.

faridmon

checking out all the small bands on the Rock Herk line-up for next weekend and most of them actually sounds pretty cool but it's not reall a surprise has belgium always had a pretty good rock scene.

But I'm still just totally going there for Slowdive.

Looking at the line-up, yeah, lo of them are petty small (never heard some of them before) but you also have Eagulls, Blood Red Shoes, Baths and Mazes who are amazing live. You should really see them (assuming that you will be through throughout the weekends)

EDIT: Oh, its not the Mazes I am thinking about but a small Belgian band thats just called Maze. Nevermind that then!

Pacbois

Looking at the line-up, yeah, lo of them are petty small (never heard some of them before) but you also have Eagulls, Blood Red Shoes, Baths and Mazes who are amazing live. You should really see them (assuming that you will be through throughout the weekends)

EDIT: Oh, its not the Mazes I am thinking about but a small Belgian band thats just called Maze. Nevermind that then!

Eagulls, Baths, Helmet, BRNS & Blood Red Shoes are in my to see list. (Also I'm "friends"with Blood Red Shoes, hope to be able to hang out with them again)

I swear, if I never get a chance to see Slowdive live...

Don't worry, they'll have their new album soon hopefully and will probably tour for it.

big ander

New Colleen Green song on this charity split with JEFF the brotherhood is awesome.

And Aye Nako have a new EP out, great song from it "Whtie Noise". way underrated band, their album from 2013 is catchy rock/punk and this new one has a bit of a post-hardcore influences in small spots, it's great.
the negative scanner lp doesn't disappoint
First few songs of this I've heard so far are great. reminds me of a bunch of favorite current punk/post-punk bands: Chastity Belt, Wax Idols, Household, Protomartyr, Savages, Priests, The Men EDIT: Yeah this is a cool album. stream on noisey for anyone interested

Linius

23-01: Interpol (HMH)
25-02: Alex G (Paradiso Kleine Zaal)
08-03: Meatbodies (Bitterzoet)
19-03: Sleater-Kinney (Paradiso)
30-04: Godspeed You! Black Emperor (Paradiso)
19-05: Warm Soda (Paradiso Kleine Zaal)
23-05: Mew (Melkweg Oude Zaal)
26-05: Ride (Paradiso)
30-05: The Replacements (Paradiso)
01-06: Ought (Bitterzoet)
19/20/21-06: Best Kept Secret (Tilburg)
03-07: Modest Mouse (TiVre)

18-08: Waxahatchee/Woods/Steve Gunn (Paradiso Noord)
10-09: My Morning Jacket (Paradiso)
13-09: U2 (Ziggo Dome)
16-09: Mac DeMarco (Paradiso)
18-09: Beirut (Paradiso)
20-09: Menace Beach (Bitterzoet)
23-09: Sufjan Stevens (Carré)
24-09: Sufjan Stevens (Carré)
29-10: Speedy Ortiz (Bitterzoet)
30-10: Spiritualized (Paradiso)
02-11: Beach House (Paradiso)
05-11: Thurston Moore (Paradiso Noord)
15-11: Death Cab For Cutie (Tivoli Vredenburg)
24-11: Wolf Alice (Bitterzoet)

Think I got my gigs calender about covered for the rest of the year. Only gotta wait and see the day to day schedule for Le Guess Who? so I can buy a day ticket for Deerhunter (and whatever other cool bands they have on that day). And I'm considering Metz en Patti Smith. First one depends on if they play on the Deerhunter day, because they're also at Le Guess Who?. And well Patti is just expensive, so that's a maybe depending on funds.

The new Beach House, Tame Impala, Destroyer and Mac DeMarco albums that dropped recently are all pretty great. Time will tell how great. Got a good feeling that one or two of those will make my top 10. But so far I haven't heard anything that can top Sufjan Stevens this year. And looking at the upcoming releases I'm interested in that's not going to happen anymore either.

chris121580

Been listening to the new Tame Impala, it's pretty much flawless minus the track with the robot voice...really doesn't fit with the rest of the album

Linius

Yeah that's a weird one. But it really grew on me over multiple listens. Somewhere at the beginning there's also a track that has some car noises on it. Love all the weird stuff they added.

faridmon

The Pain of Being Pure Hearted is doing a live show in Birmingham next week. To go or not to go, that is the question...

Anyone seen them live?

Cryst

Saw them late last year, pretty fun. Alas, Jen Goma (A Sunny Day in Glasgow) was unsurprisingly not touring with them so some of the newer stuff from their most recent album may not sound as you would expect.

faridmon

Liniuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus, New Protomartyr album in October and a new track of it:

Why does it Shake?

Saw them late last year, pretty fun. Alas, Jen Goma (A Sunny Day in Glasgow) was unsurprisingly not touring with them so some of the newer stuff from their most recent album may not sound as you would expect.

Hmm, to be fair, I wasn't fan of their last album and never understood the reverend it got, preferred their previous ones, but I feel like seeing them just to check off the list :/

Love that Protomartyr track. Under Color of Official Right ended up being my favourite recent post punk thing. Can't wait for the new record.

I really can't get into the new Tame Impala. Not that this is a bad record, but it's just not for me anymore.

Linius

Yeah, looking forward to more Protomartyr stuff. Hopefull I get a chance to see them live as well. So far their only tour date around here is Le Guess Who?

faridmon

Yeah, looking forward to more Protomartyr stuff. Hopefull I get a chance to see them live as well. So far their only tour date around here is Le Guess Who?

They are supporting The Metz throughout their European tour, maybe you can check if they are coming.They are coming to my town with Metz this September, and that is one tasty double bill.

overcast

How's that Chelsea Wolfe, anyone listen?
New Destroyer is pretty great. Not like 10/10 Kaputt great but like strong eight/weak nine Destroyer's Rubies great.
Man I need to listen to this and Beach House. I'm struggling still.
The Pain of Being Pure Hearted is doing a live show in Birmingham next week. To go or not to go, that is the question...

Anyone seen them live?
I haven't seen them live. Love their first album and enjoy their second. That being said I've heard their new stuff isn't so great. Probably a fun show though.
Gonna have to eat my woods, this is the first Tame Impala record I like, love the influences they're aping this time around.
Yeah, it's their best album.

big ander

New. Battles. Album. Coming. September. 18.
2f9ec804.jpg

cannot wait.

Linius

Here is FIDLAR's performance we missed at Best Kept Secret and people weren't joking; it looked like a damn good fun :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP1zrjDYbsA

Dat last 5 mins. HOLY SHIT!

Yeah, I saw the week after at Werchter so it's all good :p

The pit at the front was fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMvcjmI377Y

Was a bit of a gamble I'd say to put these guys up on main stage at such a big festival. But I think they really pulled it off. Hopefully they'll tour small venues later this year for the better experience.

King_Moc

Banned

Anyone seen them live?

Saw them last night in a pub in Milton Keynes playing to literally 40 people. They're ok, not worth travelling for though. And they're unoriginal to the point of being straight up rip off merchants at some points. There's a song that is pretty much The Smiths' 'This Charming Man' and another that starts with the exact piece of synth from OMD's 'Enola Gay' and then does the verse from 'Bizarre Love Triangle' by New Order.

Other than that they were ok.

Linius

And then... there was a new Wilco record.

Just subscribe and you'll get a link.

Yeah, that's a great surprise :D

Saw them last night in a pub in Milton Keynes playing to literally 40 people. They're ok, not worth travelling for though. And they're unoriginal to the point of being straight up rip off merchants at some points. There's a song that is pretty much The Smiths' 'This Charming Man' and another that starts with the exact piece of synth from OMD's 'Enola Gay' and then does the verse from 'Bizarre Love Triangle' by New Order.

I've seen them on the tour after their debut LP. Got a bit bored with them after that so that's about it. They were alright indeed.

faridmon

So far, I am not feeling the new Wolf Alice album :/
Its too melodic, I was expecting heavier, grungier sound after their great performance, but its just too poppy. Also the album is waaaay too long. 50 mins is overkill!

On the other hand, Gengahr's debut album is fucking amazing. Just the right blend of psychedelic pop, powerpop and just plain rock. also the smooth vocals just makes it so much different than many music out there.

Thanks for the reply, yeah, I think I am gonna skip them, although I wanted to see how Jesse Weir performs in another band (Saw her as Fear of Men and man isn't she amazing!)

also King moc, you should post more around here

Macadinho

Banned
It's funny, I'm loving the new Wolf Alice album, I'm seeing them live tomorrow so I'll let yous know how it sounds in a live setting.

Also saw the Libertines last week, their old stuff still sounds as refreshing and awesome as it was when it came out in the early 00's and the new songs they sampled off their new album sounds good but of course I'll wait till the LP is out to judge comprehensively. It was an insane gig though, this was one of my highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xf43gyaNk

Top Bottom