• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

Faridmon knows how it sounds live, that's what he's referring to. We saw Wolf Alive the day they released their album :p

As opposed to him I do like the album how ever. Even though it's indeed not as raw as one might expect. They're much more explosive on stage.

Really digging the new Wilco album by the way. Love that they moved out of their comfort zone to do a short guitar heavy album. Most songs sound like the nineties and the New York scene in general. Velvet Underground even comes to mind here and there. You Satellite is fucking incredible.

Saw them last night in a pub in Milton Keynes playing to literally 40 people. They're ok, not worth travelling for though. And they're unoriginal to the point of being straight up rip off merchants at some points. There's a song that is pretty much The Smiths' 'This Charming Man' and another that starts with the exact piece of synth from OMD's 'Enola Gay' and then does the verse from 'Bizarre Love Triangle' by New Order.

Other than that they were ok.

noticed this with a lot of the 90s influenced indie bands. the first song off the last yuck last record is literally a spacey instrumental built on the exact bassline of teenage fanclub's "december"--a fucking instrumental!

i think people just don't care and are happy to have new* tunes that use that aesthetic

prefaces

hvalfrontblack_18660a53-7ef2-4f8f-8de6-80f9b851ee84_1024x1024.jpg

would be tempted to buy this if i was a fan of jenny hval or her name wasn't on the back

faridmon

hvalfrontblack_18660a53-7ef2-4f8f-8de6-80f9b851ee84_1024x1024.jpg

would be tempted to buy this if i was a fan of jenny hval or her name wasn't on the back

I am a big fan of her but that is a very immature Tshirt.
I gather she is trying to come off very different to her Rockettothesky personality she developed over the years, but this just comes off... desperate.

Her new album is fantastic and very relatable to her inner difficulties she developed over the years. Its a very personal narrative of her self for everything including sexual experiences and her psychology around that, but again, I am not liking this side of her. Please leave that to other artists such Hanne Kolstø where punkish attitude suits her perfectly!

amnesiac

Went to the Eaux Claire's festival in Wisconsin this weekend.

Highlights were Spoon, The National, Sufjan, and S. Carey. But I have to say that I was absolutely blown away by Bon Iver. They put on añ incredible show.

Linius

Those are some great names to see at a festival. Did Sufjan play his Carrie & Lowell stuff in a festival set? Since he's doing a theater tour, I reckon seeing it at a festival must be hella different.

amnesiac

Yeah he pretty much did the same set he did on earlier shows but they brought out a brass band for some of the Illinois songs. He played as the sun went down which was really cool.

faridmon

Ok just started listening to Veit Cong, my first impressions are:

1- The music is surprisingly heavily texturised. Surprised the hell out of me.
2- Death is just an awesome track
3- it has a certain coldwave feel to it but without the atmospheric ambient, but instead is heavily distorted with moody guitar and base play, definitely feels different
4- I am not feeling the vocals, just a bit too grimey for my taste.
5 - the jangly noise adds a lot to to the over all dark feeling the album have.

I sort of like it, but it hasn't grabbed me yet, but I can see me liking them the more I listen!

#teamForVietCong

faridmon

I thought i made it clear alot of times, just never had the chance. I recently got a wave of new albums
and re-listening to FIDLAR a lot
and they were just one of them!

King_Moc

Banned
So far, I am not feeling the new Wolf Alice album :/
Its too melodic, I was expecting heavier, grungier sound after their great performance, but its just too poppy. Also the album is waaaay too long. 50 mins is overkill!

On the other hand, Gengahr's debut album is fucking amazing. Just the right blend of psychedelic pop, powerpop and just plain rock. also the smooth vocals just makes it so much different than many music out there.

Thanks for the reply, yeah, I think I am gonna skip them, although I wanted to see how Jesse Weir performs in another band (Saw her as Fear of Men and man isn't she amazing!)

also King moc, you should post more around here

I keep forgetting that the community side of gaf exists, lol. It's pretty good going through pages of recommendations at a time when I see the thread again though.

Agree with you fully on both Wolf Alice and Gengahr. That Wolf Alice album is a disappointment after those two EP's. They were pretty good when I saw them at Glastonbury though.

Pacbois

Finally got home after Rock Herk and it was a great week-end.

So first, Slowdive. Short set but it was just pure perfection and bliss, I was already teary during Avalyn. The first 4 rows were just in tears during Golden Hair. (Including that girl from the Best Kept Secret video who was right next to me). I just want to see them again and again and I hope the new album is coming soon. I think this set definitly turned them into my favourite band for good.

The rest was also pretty nice, a bunch of cool sets. Eagulls played a couple of new songs and I chatted a bit with their bassist a bit who told me the album might be out early next year.
Following Linius advice I went to see Afterpartees and they were so fun. Their singer has one of the best stage presence I ever saw and is also a really cool guy, talked with him a bit.

Otherwise good sets from Blood Red Shoes, BRNS and Wallace Vanborn, lots of beer and fries and new friends.

Just heard the new(ish?) Wavves single. They are slowly completing their metamorphosis to mainstream. Not that I don't love it, but I can't imagine what's in store for their new album. I hope it's still got a few songs reminiscent of their King of the Beach/Wavvves stuff.

Link for those interested.

Linius

In other news, I may have a reason to go to London Farid. Belle and Sebastian are doing Tigermilk and You're Feeling Sinister from front to back at the Royal Albert Hall. One album per day so I'm gonna have to choose. It's gonna be right after Best Kept Secret next year in june. I've been hoping to find a good gig at the Royal Albert Hall. If the price isn't too high this will be the one.

Linius

It depends a bit on the band he's bringing and how he's feeling. I've seen him give a great gig but I've also seen a very bad one. Mostly due to the drummer fucking things up by playing way too loud.

Fjordson

Certainly not new music, but I've been listening to older Bob Dylan stuff today and man he has some great bootlegs. Have my iPod playing through all his stuff on shuffle and this just came up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWcqsfRvX5U dude was too good in the 60's / early 70's.

Also, I think this was a 1969 session with George Harrison on guitar if I'm remembering correctly, which is pretty cool.

Macadinho

Banned
Has anyone checked out Foals new single off their upcoming album coming out in September? I liked their first single "What Went Down" and this is a good track too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QHZ2YRPFVo

Also I saw Wolf Alice on Sunday, man do they put on a good show. So far this Summer has been awesome seeing The Strokes, The Libertines, Fleetwood Mac and the Sunday of Longitude.

Love Foals a lot. One of the best live shows I've ever been to. But the new song turns me off a bit. Very Imagine Dragons-y and it sounds like it was made to be a radio hit. I love the guitar intro and the solos, but yeah. Not doing it for me. What Went Down is so much better.

Davey Cakes

"Indie pop rock" is a genre I battle with. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it.

This little discovery really hit the spot though, I have to say:

51tjsQ1qZHL.jpg

A fun listen, all the way through.

This is the first track: Brand New Kind of Blue

Also, this next one came out of nowhere and surprised me. Liked it almost instantly.

return-of-the-century.jpg

(The 1900s - Return of the Century)

Has anyone checked out Foals new single off their upcoming album coming out in September? I liked their first single "What Went Down" and this is a good track too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QHZ2YRPFVo

Also I saw Wolf Alice on Sunday, man do they put on a good show. So far this Summer has been awesome seeing The Strokes, The Libertines, Fleetwood Mac and the Sunday of Longitude.

It's a great track, looking forward to the album!

HiResDes

I feel like I'm the only that enjoyed the new Daughn Gibson, it's no All Hell, but I think it's really solid... I'm a bit of a stan though... Also Abyss might be my AOTY when it's all said and done, it's just hitting me like a ton of bricks at the moment.

I tried to get into Wolf Alice, but it's most definitely not for me. It has this poppy element that doesn't mesh well with the underlying tone.

Linius

Now we're well over halfway the year some my most likely top 10 positions would be: Sufjan Stevens, Viet Cong, Courtney Barnett, Blur and Tame Impala.

Davey Cakes

I haven't listened to much new stuff this year, but the Sleater-Kinney album was refreshingly...good. It actually beat my expectations. It was a really consistent listen, and a "whole way through" kind of experience.

Oh, and Björk. Getting high and listening to that was a great time.

I also think Róisín Murphy put out a solid effort. Nice to see her solo again years after her last album.

King_Moc

Banned
The new album by Gwenno out today is pretty good. Ethereal sounding dreampop with a hint of St Etienne.

https://youtu.be/CldPv3-VHmM

I haven't listened to much new stuff this year, but the Sleater-Kinney album was refreshingly...good. It actually beat my expectations. It was a really consistent listen, and a "whole way through" kind of experience.

You have heard Sleater Kinneys other stuff, right? There was no reason to expect anything else, especially after that Wild Flag album.

Davey Cakes

You have heard Sleater Kinneys other stuff, right? There was no reason to expect anything else, especially after that Wild Flag album.
I was only in doubt because I have been let down by the recent output of some of my favorite artists.

But yeah, Sleater-Kinney are good at what they do. I guess I just prefer to temper my expectations for EVERYTHING these days.

I also want to say, their concert in Boston was fantastic. They can still put on a good show.

The Wild Flag album and Corin Tucker's "Kill My Blues" were both enjoyable listens for me. "No Cities to Love" is probably better than both.

King_Moc

Banned
I was only in doubt because I have been let down by the recent output of some of my favorite artists.

But yeah, Sleater-Kinney are good at what they do. I guess I just prefer to temper my expectations for EVERYTHING these days.

I also want to say, their concert in Boston was fantastic. They can still put on a good show.

The Wild Flag album and Corin Tucker's "Kill My Blues" were both enjoyable listens for me. "No Cities to Love" is probably better than both.

I never got to see them first time roun, but saw them in London this time. They were phenomenal. Corin Tucker's singing is just ridiculously great.

faridmon

My album of the year remains to be the same actually, Ganghar might sneak in somehow, but Satellite Stories, White Ash, Echo Lake, DYGL, A Place to Bury Stranger and The Megaphonic Thrift Remain to be awesome to this day. Ok Kid Astray might also sneak in as well, such a great debut!

In other news, I may have a reason to go to London Farid. Belle and Sebastian are doing Tigermilk and You're Feeling Sinister from front to back at the Royal Albert Hall. One album per day so I'm gonna have to choose. It's gonna be right after Best Kept Secret next year in june. I've been hoping to find a good gig at the Royal Albert Hall. If the price isn't too high this will be the one.

That is so you. Just choose events that I have no interest in as a reason to come down where I live :p
Royal Albert Hall tend to be expensive (<£30) so be prepared to pay high obscene amount of money, especially if they are doing special event there.

Speaking of which, I have just recently made acquaintance someone who happens to go Le Guess Festival every year so I might actually piggypack on him and come to that event this year. The line up is too good to be passed on!

Linius

In the end I missed the ticket sale for B&S sadly. DIY wrote an article about it saying the tickets go on sale on the 25th. Turns out, they went on sale on the 24th. Still my fault of course, should have never trusted a press source alone. Obviously it sold out in a matter of minutes so that's that. And 30 pounds wouldn't be obscene by the way, for me then. B&S cost 30 euros in a regular venue over here. So 30 pounds would have been cheap :p

LGW? I'll most likely visit one day as usual. Depending on the rest of the names it's gonna be the Deerhunter day probably.

Top Bottom