• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

THRILLH0

Banned
Spotified Wolf Alice on this thread's recommendation and really digging it.

God damn Swallowtail sounds like a long lost Porcupine Tree cut.

King_Moc

Banned
Got myself tickets to Hackney Visions festival and Rockaway Beach

http://www.rockawaybeach.co.uk/line-up-full/

http://visionsfestival.com

Pretty strong line ups at both but mainly looking forward to The Antlers, Girl Band and Pinkshinyultrablast as I've not seen any of those before (else it'd be Echo & The Bunnymen).

Has anyone heard Pinkshinyultrablast before? They've got a shoegaze band from Russia, pretty good too: https://youtu.be/z-cISmtXk1M

Convinced my girlfriend to see Metz with me too. I'm sure she'll appreciate that...

King_Moc

Banned
This new Chelsea Wolfe album man, I said goddamn!!! It's fucking amazing, her best album yet I think.

Hadn't heard her before, but noticed her mentioned a few times so figured I'd listen to a few songs. Yeah...this is pretty fucking good. An absolutely huge sound when it kicks off.

Futureman

New Titus Andronicus is on streaming services today. I thought Friday was new release day now? Or that didn't start yet?

Anyways it's killer. I've only been listening to pieces here and there as it's so long but I love it. I really need to pick up all their records. Didn't they do a 7" club after Local Business? Are some of the songs from the 7"s on Most Lamentable?

Edit: if you like Titus, check out Dillinger Four. Similar fast, fun poppy punk songs.

big ander

New Titus Andronicus is on streaming services today. I thought Friday was new release day now? Or that didn't start yet?

Anyways it's killer. I've only been listening to pieces here and there as it's so long but I love it. I really need to pick up all their records. Didn't they do a 7" club after Local Business? Are some of the songs from the 7"s on Most Lamentable?

Edit: if you like Titus, check out Dillinger Four. Similar fast, fun poppy punk songs.
pat never completed the 7x7 club or whatever haha. I'm not a subscriber but he supposedly had to send out apologies to all of them and say the rest of their singles were on the way, I think he only got up to 4 of the releases (and the first two of those were a double 7" reissue of their earliest singles). The only TMLT tracks from there were "Stranded" and "Fatal Flaw" and iirc the album versions are new recordings. both of those songs had been performed live as early as 2013 or 12, so the huge majority of this is new material.

Anyone daunted at TMLT's track list should listen to it by acts or chunks. Apparently the acts go something like this:
act 1=Angry Hour->Look Alive
act 2=Magic Morning->More Perfect Union
act 3=Sun Salutation->Fatal Flaw
act 4=Please->I'm Going Insane (Finish Him)
Act 5=The Fall->A Moral
But I've also enjoyed playing the suite of "I Lost My Mind ( +@ )" to "I Lost My Mind ( DJ )" (nice symmetry in there). And "FAtal Flaw" through "A Pair of Brown Eyes" has the catchiest rock songs of the whole album, like "Come On Siobahn". Or just pick out the No Futures, IV and V aren't as astounding as III or II or I but they're damn fun. It's a great record.

faridmon

I am still not too hot on Wolf Alice album, Wish they had a live version out.

Got myself tickets to Hackney Visions festival and Rockaway Beach

http://www.rockawaybeach.co.uk/line-up-full/

http://visionsfestival.com

Pretty strong line ups at both but mainly looking forward to The Antlers, Girl Band and Pinkshinyultrablast as I've not seen any of those before (else it'd be Echo & The Bunnymen).

Has anyone heard Pinkshinyultrablast before? They've got a shoegaze band from Russia, pretty good too: https://youtu.be/z-cISmtXk1M

Convinced my girlfriend to see Metz with me too. I'm sure she'll appreciate that...

Lol, I am going there as well, maybe we can set up a meeting!

Yeah, I have seen Pinkshinyultrablast earlier this year and they were really good. Their album is freaking amazing, but their live is a bit drone heavy for my liking but still good. They were quite humble and absolutely sweet since they talked to everyone who came to see them and I can see them becoming big in the future.

Metz is really loud live, I brought a girl with me (whom I really liked) to see them as they were supporting Fucked Up and Titus Andronicus and suffice to say, she never went with me to another gig!

I am excited to see Toy (saw them already 5 times, best live band I have ever seen), Girl Band, Gazelle Twin, Peaking Light, The Big Moon and Hinds. Also Fat Whiet Family are absolutely crazy live so I am looking forward seeing what they do this time (First time I saw them The guy ended up reading off a philosophy book and second time stripped naked)

Went to this festival last year and it was absolutely mint. Some of the best atmosphere and even better people there!

King_Moc

Banned
Lol, I am going there as well, maybe we can set up a meeting!

Yeah, I have seen Pinkshinyultrablast earlier this year and they were really good. Their album is freaking amazing, but their live is a bit drone heavy for my liking but still good. They were quite humble and absolutely sweet since they talked to everyone who came to see them and I can see them becoming big in the future.

Metz is really loud live, I brought a girl with me (whom I really liked) to see them as they were supporting Fucked Up and Titus Andronicus and suffice to say, she never went with me to another gig!

I am excited to see Toy (saw them already 5 times, best live band I have ever seen), Girl Band, Gazelle Twin, Peaking Light, The Big Moon and Hinds. Also Fat Whiet Family are absolutely crazy live so I am looking forward seeing what they do this time (First time I saw them The guy ended up reading off a philosophy book and second time stripped naked)

Went to this festival last year and it was absolutely mint. Some of the best atmosphere and even better people there!

I'm sure something can be arranged, yeah.

At Glastonbury the bbc had to cut 20 minutes off of the Fat White Family's set on the iplayer. He was literally beating himself off while shouting the line "all your dads are dead, kids".

I had to see Lilly Allen with my girlfriend once, so she owes me (thought it was quite good though!).

I've seen Toy a few times, but they never really grabbed me. Always thought they sounded like a slightly less good version of The Horrors. "Kopter" is pretty amazing though, and I've not listened to the second album.

faridmon

I'm sure something can be arranged, yeah.

At Glastonbury the bbc had to cut 20 minutes off of the Fat White Family's set on the iplayer. He was literally beating himself off while shouting the line "all your dads are dead, kids".

I had to see Lilly Allen with my girlfriend once, so she owes me (thought it was quite good though!).

I've seen Toy a few times, but they never really grabbed me. Always thought they sounded like a slightly less good version of The Horrors. "Kopter" is pretty amazing though, and I've not listened to the second album.

I have met Linius couple of time,
I don't bit, ask him

Toy is really extraordinarily bizarre band to me. I think they are the only band , where I absolutely hate their record releases because of the whiny vocals that doesn't go well with the music and the over-busy drones, but absolutely love their live set because the vocals is droned out heavily by the noise and the reverb of the guitar and bass play which makes it inaudible, while their drone heavy music just creates a really hypnotic psychedelic effect akin to Hookworms and Bo Ningen. I just go crazy at their life set banging my head and whatnot.Their second album is as shit as their first one although I have to say ''Conductor'' is one hell of a track mainly because f the build up and the fact its instrumental helps.

Here is Toy performing ''Conductor'' at Shepherd Bush Empire, their first headline show at a big venuee and it was the first time I had to pay an inflated price of a scalper to get it.... and it was worth it!

big ander

You guys know the Health album is out there and supposedly dope right?

I need to listen to it more. it's so far in the direction of synthpop, wasn't expecting it. I thought it would be poppier than Get Color but that album had moments of aggression and feedback and distortion that Death Magic didn't seem to have. it's closer to Purity Ring's first record than I ever would've thought.
Initial impression is that Get Color is the perfect in-between, the ideal blend of noise rock and synthy dance-punk, while HEALTH is a bit too noisy to get a handle on and Death Magic is too clean to really grab me.

King_Moc

Banned
I have met Linius couple of time,
I don't bit, ask him

Toy is really extraordinarily bizarre band to me. I think they are the only band , where I absolutely hate their record releases because of the whiny vocals that doesn't go well with the music and the over-busy drones, but absolutely love their live set because the vocals is droned out heavily by the noise and the reverb of the guitar and bass play which makes it inaudible, while their drone heavy music just creates a really hypnotic psychedelic effect akin to Hookworms and Bo Ningen. I just go crazy at their life set banging my head and whatnot.Their second album is as shit as their first one although I have to say ''Conductor'' is one hell of a track mainly because f the build up and the fact its instrumental helps.

Here is Toy performing ''Conductor'' at Shepherd Bush Empire, their first headline show at a big venuee and it was the first time I had to pay an inflated price of a scalper to get it.... and it was worth it!

I've only seen them as support or at festivals, so maybe that's it. Though I did also see them at Shepherds Bush, but supporting British Sea Power. I'll give those songs a listen later, as I'm on a pier in Llandudno at the moment.

faridmon

I've only seen them as support or at festivals, so maybe that's it. Though I did also see them at Shepherds Bush, but supporting British Sea Power. I'll give those songs a listen later, as I'm on a pier in Llandudno at the moment.

Actually, Their support play with British Sea Power was my first time seeing them and I thought they were good. British Sea Power blew me away though that night.

chris121580

I had no idea Dustin Kensrue of Thrice released a new solo album this year...just getting around to it and it's damn good. Strongly recommend it...it's an incredibly enjoyable listen...really heavy Bruce Springsteen vibe all over it

King_Moc

Banned
Actually, Their support play with British Sea Power was my first time seeing them and I thought they were good. British Sea Power blew me away though that night.

I had a torrid time at that gig. I was near the back, and you just can't see from there in that venue. I'm not short either. I always begrudgingly go with seated tickets there now. And yeah, BSP were great. I've seen them 16 or 17 times now and they're always pretty great.

faridmon

I had a torrid time at that gig. I was near the back, and you just can't see from there in that venue. I'm not short either. I always begrudgingly go with seated tickets there now. And yeah, BSP were great. I've seen them 16 or 17 times now and they're always pretty great.

I am sorry that you had to experienced that way. I was seated upstairs just right of the stage where I had clear view of the whole thing. They stage-play like of the bears were quite amusing. That was my only time I have seen them live and it was an experience. To bad most of their show are rather expensive.

King_Moc

Banned
I am sorry that you had to experienced that way. I was seated upstairs just right of the stage where I had clear view of the whole thing. They stage-play like of the bears were quite amusing. That was my only time I have seen them live and it was an experience. To bad most of their show are rather expensive.

I got to see what gigs are like for most women, at least. Are they more expensive than most, I've never really noticed. I guess they just charge a price that a more established band would charge. The only time I noticed it was expensive was the recent 'Decline Of...' show at the roundhouse. But they were on for 2 hours and Bo Ningen supported, so that was alright.

big ander

chris121580

Looks like they only talk about Limits of Desire-- I forgot to check that one out but their self-titled EP and their debut New Chain were some of my favorite releases out of chillwave. i'll need to get around to Limits

Wow, I actually didn't realize they had an album before Limits of Desire. That's what I was referring to as underrated. I need to check out New Chain now and yeah, definitely check out Limits...it's fantastic

big ander

Some news nobody'll care about but me: killer Raleigh synth-post-punk/noise rock band Whatever Brains have a record coming out this year again. Not a surprise, given they've released a record a year since 2011--well, last year instead of an LP they released a double EP. and that double EP was incredible. the first EP is a single 22 minute track of pieces that flow together, which fucking rocks and also "chronicle the plight of a Russian family who lived in complete isolation in remote Siberia for more than 40 years". It's far more fun than that sounds. The second EP has this relentlessly catchy earth-scorching song "UVOD". This upcoming 4th untitled/self-titled LP has several songs they've released in demo/b-side form before, like on this ludicrous 46-track hour-plus compilation of sketches and demos from earlier this year. I really love "TAPE". Going by the difference between some of the versions on there and their final versions (like the final "UVOD" compared to this demo), there'll be big changes in the new recordings.

People should hear this band. everything is free on their bandcamp. no excuse
Album art:
lIT3gQB.jpg

new richard papiercuts in september!

track from the album is great

fuckin finally. been waiting for this news for a while
I like this. will have to check his earlier album

Cmagus

I went and saw Deftones and Incubus last night and it was a great show. Deftones killed it and incubus was top notch as usual plus they played a few new songs which were pretty solid. They sounded better than a few of the new ones they released on the latest A side album.

Meier

On a mission to get more people to listen to Young the Giant. Had some hits on their first (excellent) album but the second one mostly flew under the radar and it's fucking great. Give a few of these a shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6z946kUzCI&index=6&list=PLPOVSQSnwvddVRv7fbUU_Y8ZwK4OcwvOP - Daydreamer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF5uMvCGUCM - Crystallized
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWWRGmWKkfI - Mind Over Matter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO6LJUyNA0M - It's About Time

Absolutely love this album and they are truly phenomenal live. Sameer Gadhia's voice is amazing.

faridmon

I got to see what gigs are like for most women, at least. Are they more expensive than most, I've never really noticed. I guess they just charge a price that a more established band would charge. The only time I noticed it was expensive was the recent 'Decline Of...' show at the roundhouse. But they were on for 2 hours and Bo Ningen supported, so that was alright.

Most of the gigs I go are in the £8 - 16 price range so 20 and above is pricey to me. I am always broke so that should explain things.

Speaking of which, Visions Festivals timetable is posted and it seems Girl Band are on early :/

Lot of clashes happening: Merchandise or Hinds, The Big Moon or Girl Band, Son Lux or Gazelle Twin and Peaking Light is just clashing with both Toy and Fat White Family. :(

My program is probably gonna be: pixx > Girl Band > Merchandise > break > Gazelle Twin > Luke Abbott (half) > Toy > Fat White Family

faridmon

going from a wolf alice live performance to the album is one of the most disappointing bait n switches of all time

Exactly my feeling!

I think I have already written about that, their live performance was really good, had a n omph about and the switching tempos mid songs actually gave them a relative signature in comparison. The album is just too poppy and closer to ballad than the heavier, grungier side of their live performance. Their EPs had a lot more personality too!

Overall, a disappointing record to otherwise a talented band that kick ass live.

King_Moc

Banned
going from a wolf alice live performance to the album is one of the most disappointing bait n switches of all time

My feelings exactly. They definitely missed something on that album that they do live.

Most of the gigs I go are in the £8 - 16 price range so 20 and above is pricey to me. I am always broke so that should explain things.

Speaking of which, Visions Festivals timetable is posted and it seems Girl Band are on early :/

Lot of clashes happening: Merchandise or Hinds, The Big Moon or Girl Band, Son Lux or Gazelle Twin and Peaking Light is just clashing with both Toy and Fat White Family. :(

My program is probably gonna be: pixx > Girl Band > Merchandise > break > Gazelle Twin > Luke Abbott (half) > Toy > Fat White Family

The guy I was going with hadn't got the tickets yet and isn't sure he wants to go now as the bands he wanted tof see clash as headliners. I'm trying to convince him.

faridmon

The guy I was going with hadn't got the tickets yet and isn't sure he wants to go now as the bands he wanted tof see clash as headliners. I'm trying to convince him.

Tell him he is going to see at least one of them, also the fact that he is going to discover great talent that may headline in the future (Like Pixx as she is recently signed with 4AD) and generally great atmosphere and even better food. Oh and friendly people!

faridmon

This thread is dead :(

TRAAMS new album on November. Fuck Yes, this year continues to be amazing!

also new track from them

Succulent Thunder Anthem

Actually its a bit disappointing track. Less of a Post-punk and very much sounds close to be The Cribs rip off.

Linius

As usual LRDR go a great line-up. And Mourn is good yeah. They were one of the biggest surprises for me at BKS. Obviously still room to improve, but for such a young band it was a really solid performance.

faridmon

So turns out I won a free pass for this.

Also, saw Mourn and it was a good surprise, they were really solid live.

How the hell do you get free pass? I am so jealous because that is a strong line up
and yes Mourn were really good at Best Kept Secret!

Pacbois

How the hell do you get free pass? I am so jealous because that is a strong line up
and yes Mourn were really good at Best Kept Secret!

The Mourn show I went to on friday was organized by the festival and they had a blind-test. I came third by myself but the winning team already had their passes so they gave it to me.
And all of that because I couldn't stand that a Blur song wasn't found in 15 secs.

faridmon

The Mourn show I went to on friday was organized by the festival and they had a blind-test. I came third by myself but the winning team already had their passes so they gave it to me.
And all of that because I couldn't stand that a Blur song wasn't found in 15 secs.

Lucky you!

It seems I am theonly one in the world who don't win things :/

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
For fans of Have a Nice Life, and anyone who enjoys dark synth pop, you can stream a song from Dan Barrett's upcoming Black Wing LP here. I really like it.

Top Bottom