• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

big ander

Artist To Watch: Spencer Radcliffe + “Mia” (Stereogum Premiere)
Radcliffe's one of the best guys doing warped pop right now. Brown Horse (split LP with R.L. Kelly on Orchid Tapes) was one of the best releases last year. excited for his proper debut LP.

Battles are streaming a live performance of four songs from La Di Da Di on a loop for 24 hours (well, only 20 hours left now). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Quvj95CFnI

Edit: New Parquet Courts EP Monastic Living comin November as well. http://shopusa.roughtraderecords.com/monastic-living-ep
For fans of Have a Nice Life, and anyone who enjoys dark synth pop, you can stream a song from Dan Barrett's upcoming Black Wing LP here. I really like it.

I didn't listen to HANL until The Unnatural World (when they swiftly became one of my favorite acts going) but this plus having the backlog of Giles Corey and Navuhar or whatever to catch up on, not to mention collections of HANL demos sitting on my computer, is too much haha. i'll have to have a goth day or something.

faridmon

I guess, but if we're counting minutes they'll have released like 2 hours worth in two years. better than a lot of other outfits.

True. They have released a lot of records during their short career as a band.

Speaking of that, The Wytches have also announced that they are releasing and EP in November, coincidentally, I have been re-listening to their Debut Annabel Dream Reader and I really like it, even more than I was when they first released it.

faridmon

New single by Pinkshinyultrablast ''Kiddy Pool Dreams'' and its amazing. very blooby with synths jumping up and down in addition to their shoegaze sounding melodies

http://www.stereogum.com/1821107/pinkshinyultrablast-kiddy-pool-dreams-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

Oddly, I'm only familiar with these guys because of a couple of mixes they did: one for i-D Magazine and this cool one from around Halloween last year.

That is so them. The album actually pretty much handles about graves, witches, dark rituals and other darkly, ''Halloween-ey'' stuff and seeing them doing a Hollywood playlist is not surprising in the slightest.

Apparently the EP is being produced by MJ (who won the best producer of the year from multiple websites last year)

big ander

fun jam from Pinkshinyultrablast. really like this section about 4:30 in.

definite new direction for Potty Mouth. their songs were already catchy so I'm not sure how I feel about switching out their sound for something sunnier. this is kinda No Joy or Yuck-ish but a little too clean. still a tune.

Girl Band album is going to melt faces.

definite new direction for Potty Mouth. their songs were already catchy so I'm not sure how I feel about switching out their sound for something sunnier. this is kinda No Joy or Yuck-ish but a little too clean. still a tune.
I wouldn't say it's sunnier, it's more pollished and produced for sure, and I think migrating from 90s pop-punk to 90s alternative in sound. Reminds me a bit of Veruca Salt I think. Interested to hear the rest of the album. I like the single but also really liked their sound on Hell Bent, so in that regard I have mixed feelings about it.

big ander

I wouldn't say it's sunnier, it's more pollished and produced for sure, and I think migrating from 90s pop-punk to 90s alternative in sound. Reminds me a bit of Veruca Salt I think. Interested to hear the rest of the album. I like the single but also really liked their sound on Hell Bent, so in that regard I have mixed feelings about it.

Hell Bent I never saw as pop punk, much as it got lumped in with albums that definitely were pop punk. It was surfy and catchy but also full of post-punk influence. and the vocals were deadpan, not as emotive.

big ander

Ought and Girl Band
faucet%284%29.jpg

new Ought's not as good as MTAOD, I was a bit distracted so perhaps songs that didn't grab me ("Passionate Turn", "On The Line", most of "Never Better" though I love the finale) will improve later. I'm glad I didn't overplay "Beautiful Blue Sky" pre-release/before seeing them live, it'll stay awesome for a while now. "Men For Miles" and "Sun's Coming Down" are reliable Ought tunes. curveballs were "Celebration" and "The Combo", some new sounds from these guys. Former is killer.

faridmon

Albums from Ought, Girl Band, Savages, Autobahn, Protomartyr, Post-War Glamour Girls, Parquet Courts (EP), Communions, Yung (EP), Lower, Wax Idols, Pleasure Leftist and Childbirth in August to October.

What a fucking amazing 3 months for Post-Punk!

Linius

So in one day Kurt Vile, Ought and Girl Band. Not too long ago Beach House, Destroyer and Mac DeMarco also came on the same day. And that surprise Wilco drop in between. Good times.

faridmon

Just checked the last train for BIrmingham tonight and Its fucking 9:30

Which means that I am not gonna see the 2 headliners, Toy and Fat White Family at Visions festival!

Fuck off UK train service!

King_Moc

Banned
Just checked the last train for BIrmingham tonight and Its fucking 9:30

Which means that I am not gonna see the 2 headliners, Toy and Fat White Family at Visions festival!

Fuck off UK train service!

Sorry to hear about that, I'd be extremely pissed off.

It's pretty dumb, seeing as they do trains to Northampton, where I am, up until about 1am and it's on the same line.

Linius

Trains get in the way of my gig plans every now and then as well. Belle and Sebastian are playing in a venue over here that I need to leave at 9:45pm to catch the last train. So that would mean skipping 30 to 45 minutes of the gig. So in those cases I just decide to stay home :(

Le Guess Who? festival is also a tough one. I have to choose between leaving around midnight and miss the last two/three bands. Or stay till the end at around 3am and then wait at the station for the first morning train. So last year I sat my ass down at the station and waited for like 2,5 hours.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Albums from Ought, Girl Band, Savages, Autobahn, Protomartyr, Post-War Glamour Girls, Parquet Courts (EP), Communions, Yung (EP), Lower, Wax Idols, Pleasure Leftist and Childbirth in August to October.

What a fucking amazing 3 months for Post-Punk!

+ Soft Kill's new one, Heresy, just hit last week

Fjordson

Finally got around to listening to the new Titus Andronicus. The length seemed a bit ridiculous when I first saw the tracklist, but it's so enjoyable with minimal filler. It actually works. Great album.

Linius

Next week I can either choose between going to Steve Gunn + Waxahatchee + Woods or seeing Wand. Why do bands always have to come on the same date
D5Jy4CR.png

Leaning towards Wand the most. Have been waiting a while now for a chance to see them.

Steamlord

So we can all agree that Pinkshinyultrablast has dethroned Whirr as the best modern shoegaze band, correct? I mean, in terms of both bands' most recent output? I still think the Distressor EP wins overall.

HiResDes

So we can all agree that Pinkshinyultrablast has dethroned Whirr as the best modern shoegaze band, correct? I mean, in terms of both bands' most recent output? I still think the Distressor EP wins overall.
I like The Horrors best actually and there's quite a few others on the list.

HiResDes

Seeing Girlpool, Yowler, and Frankie Cosmos tonight in Columbus at this rad looking little dive called Double Happiness that seems to have all the lovely kitschy Asian aesthetics of a War Kai Wong film.

Fjordson

For their recent work, yes. And a few other bands as well. Overall Whirr has put out some amazing stuff, but I wasn't crazy about Sway.

Pinkshiny's album and that new single are both incredible, though.

Seeing Girlpool, Yowler, and Frankie Cosmos tonight in Columbus at this rad looking little dive called Double Happiness that seems to have all the lovely kitschy Asian aesthetics of a War Kai Wong film.
Damn, what a great looking venue.

Slacker

If anyone listens to Eisley, sounds like they'll be changing up a bit according to this video posted by Sherri. Stacy is apparently focusing more on her solo project Sucre, so Sherri is doing most/all of the writing for their next album. I think I'm ok with that, although I like Stacy's work with the group better than the Sucre stuff so far. Either way glad to hear more stuff is coming, I really liked "Currents."

big ander

alex g has a new album this year and he's with Domino now. pretty huge. the lead single is predictably great. http://diymag.com/2015/08/13/alex-g-shares-bug-announces-new-album-beach-music
Recently discovered this cool catchy austere minimalist post-punk-ish group with detached overdubbed polyphonic female vocals. Shame they only released two EPs.

https://household.bandcamp.com/
household are soooooooo good. Items is technically an LP I think but their output is still far too meager. hopefully they keep coming out with a random release every two years or so, at the very least.

Courage

I thought Monomania was great and the very definition of a grower. Sounded a lot like that Thee Oh Sees album from the same year, with the right amount of psychedelia you come to expect from Deerhunter.

Top Bottom