• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

King_Moc

Banned
I thought Monomania was great and the very definition of a grower. Sounded a lot like that Thee Oh Sees album from the same year, with the right amount of psychedelia you come to expect from Deerhunter.

It was alright, just disappointing coming off the back of the three albums before it.

Linius

I loved Monomania for how different it was. It was a really straightforward record. Worked wonders for their live sets too with these songs in it. Dream Captain and T.H.M. are some of my favourite Deer Hunter songs.

Steamlord

Interview with Night School

This was the most exciting bit for me:

Lexy admits, “I wanted to go for a heavier garage-y sounding version of the Ronettes or Shirelles on our EP. I've loved bands like that from the 60's since I was a kid and wanted to create the nostalgia that music has for me with a heavier sound. I changed it up slightly for the full length we just recorded. Tried to go for more of a Beach Boys meets Pinkerton sound

Well that sounds like the greatest thing ever.

Linius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yekwtibrQGs

Just stumbled upon this live version of Death by Viet Cong. It's fucking amazing
4TfeeGW.png

K.Sabot

Deerhunter hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype

hype

hype

hype

Snakeskin so good.

Record gonna leak historically quick if history is worth anything.

Linius

I feel like Snakeskin is continuing where they left it at Monomania. Very accessible, not too experimental. But I love it.

chris121580

Nada Surf is one of my all time favorite bands and they released a live album on Friday called Live at the Neptune Theatre. It's fantastic and I strongly recommend checking it out if you're a fan of the band

faridmon

God the new Last fm looks is horrible. Its a mess and hard to navigate through.
Tried to search through live gigs happening in my area and its giving me Edinburgh.

RIP Last FM :(

King_Moc

Banned
Seetickets seem to be under the impression that Atlas Sound will be the support on Deerhunter's UK tour. Seems unusual, but I hope it's true.

God the new Last fm looks is horrible. Its a mess and hard to navigate through.
Tried to search through live gigs happening in my area and its giving me Edinburgh.

RIP Last FM :(

Looks like it's still in beta, so there's still hope I guess. But yeah, that didn't look too promising. I got an invalid address page when I searched for something.

Linius

I tried that new lastfm design when they were in beta and didn't like it. Switched back asap.

EDIT

Oh crap, they went trough with the new design now :/

Now my profile page is gone with my archive of all the gigs I've went to...

Linius

God damn, I wish they had announced it. I never gotten a chance to at least copy my profile bio in a word doc. Please tell me I can find my profile bio somewhere in this shitty beta? :/

EDIT

Also, where's my gig calender? That was one of the main things I used the website for.

Steamlord

Christ, the search bar doesn't even have a drop-down suggestion menu anymore. Hopefully that's temporary, considering there are a lot of things that are clearly broken right now.

Linius

I really can't understand why they thought it was a good idea to launch a broken website.

In other news, my twist between Waxahatchee/Steve Gunn/Woods vs. Wand has been decided. I won tickets to Wand
BwNL0oP.png

faridmon

Looks like it's still in beta, so there's still hope I guess. But yeah, that didn't look too promising. I got an invalid address page when I searched for something.

That is the silver lining, but everything I had to use that site for is just not there. I can't even search for bands and get any idea of how popular they are, the number of albums,etc....

Damn, its my most visited website and its gonna depress me if half of the functionality is gone.

Steamlord

y8JKpUs.png

Good job releasing what is basically an alpha. I have zero faith that they will restore the vast majority of the features that are currently missing. And even if they do, weeks and months? They couldn't have listened to feedback and done all that before pushing out the beta to every single user without even giving us a say? What a joke.

Fjordson

y8JKpUs.png

Good job releasing what is basically an alpha. I have zero faith that they will restore the vast majority of the features that are currently missing. And even if they do, weeks and months? They couldn't have listened to feedback and done all that before pushing out the beta to every single user without even giving us a say? What a joke.
lmao. If that's the case, why push the new version out to the public before re-adding those features? Weird.

The Potty Mouth EP is up on Spotify now, a few days before the official release. It's sooo 90s.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4SF4UUpKWY5CYtmYcgfFSs

Couple of thoughts now that I've given it a good listen. The last track Truman Show I think is sort of the transitional track from their sound on Hell Bent to this EP. The airy part of The Bomb sounds like
some other song and it's driving me nuts trying to figure out what it reminds me of, I feel like it should be obvious to me.

King_Moc

Banned

Pretty good! Still not sure why they do vocals in that style though. Screaming and shouting i'm fine with. Trying to sound like a monster or some shit is just weird to me.

Haven't actually listened to Deerhunter honestly.

My favourite alt-rock band of the last 10 years. I don't know if there's much of a consensus as to what their best work is, as it really is damn strong across all their albums, but give this a go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mBSOtdOjoc

faridmon

Yeah, Deafheaven's vocals are detrimental to their actual music. Not a big fan.

The new Health album is certainly good. Reminds me alot of last year's Liar's album ''Mess'' which was album of the year for me.

big ander

Apparently the Beach House leak has been in the wild for weeks and I had no idea until this morning.

I like it!
Think they were all bad-quality transcodes until this weekend or so. I still haven't listened yet! can't wait for it
hey this is pretty good. And I don't even like Sunbather that much. lol the outro!

guess I get not liking the vocals...imo with metal in general you kinda just have to deep dive and listen to a couple albums and then the guttural singing doesn't bother anymore. I'm no expert at all--I can probably count the number of metal-ish albums I have in itunes on my hands, and they're mostly hardcore punk-influenced black metal or death/doom metal approaching post-rock. but it was a barrier for me too at first, then I listened to the first Bathory album, and Deafheaven, and I already liked Raspberry Bulbs, and then I asked our college radio's main metal guy and he recommended like Ash Pool and Rectal Hygenics. and from there I've just paid attention to the recs of a couple blogs or what's on a couple labels. Flenser put out records from Planning for Burial and Wreck and Reference that are great, Anti-Gravity Bunny's metal recs are decent and interesting like funeral doom metal band Bell Witch. and for a neophyte like me needledrop is actually reliable, he pointed me to Botanist and IDYLLS and White Suns. none of it's my favorite stuff but I'm glad I'm acclimated to the genre/some subgenres enough to enjoy say Wreck and Reference and Raspberry Bulbs, who are both particularly awesome

Linius

Every now and then a metal hype surfaces (like Deafhaven the past years) and I try it. But it's just not for me. I don't mind screaming, I listen to Metz for example, but what Deafheaven are doing is just eh. There's one metal band in my iTunes and that's Baroness with their latest album. Which was the album that their fans didn't really like cause they didn't sound metal at all on that record :p

Just got back from Wand by the way. Support act The Womb was pretty cool. Some Dutch band, probably from around the city the gig was at. They play the same kind of music, with a little bit less punch though. But it was alright. Wand then killed it. But it was a messy gig. The lead guy broke one of his strings which caused a delay of about five minutes in one of their songs. And they struggled a bit with getting in tune for their new songs from forthcoming record 1000 Days. I think the lead guy said it's one of the first times they're playing these tunes live so there's that. The new songs did sound pretty good once they got in the groove, bodes well for the new record. Their third (!) in barely a year.

Top Bottom