• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Anyone Posted about the new Cheatahs album ''Mythologies''? Its confirmed for October release and they also released a new track ''Seven sisters''

https://soundcloud.com/cheatahs/10-seven-sisters/s-8PvZB

Looking forward to it and the track is really good!

this is pretty good but doesnt change my general feeling that the cheatahs are a very good band with the potential to be farging awesome if they were more ambitious with their songwriting

Linius

FB3b.png

New names are:

We have some great news to share. We just added The Pop Group, Swervedriver, Meat Wave, FÖLLAKZOID, Ultimate Painting, The Numero Group and many more to the line-up for Le Guess Who? 2015.
There’s more: wondrous Dutch psych-pop artist Jacco Gardner opens his Cabinet of Curiosities at Le Guess Who? 2015 and invites a.o. Brazilian psych rockers Os Mutantes, Dungen, Nick Garrie and Death and Vanilla. Austin Psych Fest’s Levitation hosts a program that includes TOTAL CONTROL, Lightning Bolt, Ringo Deathstarr and Deradoorian.

Fuck me, I think I just need a passe partout this year.

Fjordson

New Destroyer is more of a suit and tie affair than I expected after hearing Dream Lover.
Agreed.

It's a pleasant surprise for me since I'm more of a Kaputt fan specifically than I am of Destroyer as a whole and some of these new songs are beautiful in a similar way. Like "The River". Goddamn, what a track.

Mifune

Mehmber
Every now and then a metal hype surfaces (like Deafhaven the past years) and I try it. But it's just not for me. I don't mind screaming, I listen to Metz for example, but what Deafheaven are doing is just eh. There's one metal band in my iTunes and that's Baroness with their latest album. Which was the album that their fans didn't really like cause they didn't sound metal at all on that record :p

Have you tried Pallbearer? Really melodic stuff with great vocals.

Poison Season has, after many plays, and on a variety of substance, fully cemented itself in my top 5. While I think it's less consistently brilliant compared to Kaputt (read: flawless), that does very little to dull some spectacular highs.

King_Moc

Banned

Pacbois

La Route du Rock was good fun. Savages were the highlight, for some reason their set was just "out there". Girl Band was still something crazy. Ride were way better than in Paris. Good sets from Thruston Moore, Father John Misty & The Soft Moon.
Also, saw Iceage on monday but I was just too tired to get into it.

Still not sure if I'm going to Rock en Seine, fingers crossed.

Macadinho

Banned
Quite like Anthem for Doomed Youth. First half of Glasgow Coma Scale Blues is pretty bad, but it does pick up after that. And it seems to have a little bit that's directly lifted from 'Boys in the Band'.

Yeah I quite liked Anthem for Doomed Youth since when I saw it live last month and I agree with you on Glasgow Coma Scale Blues, it's like a B side off a single and wouldn't have been my pick for a single. It'll probably be a grower. I kinda wish they chose Barbarians or You're my Waterloo as a single.

Also the release date for the album apparently got pushed back a week because they want to do more album release events due to overwhelming demand.

King_Moc

Banned
I've grabbed tickets to see Deerhunter, Girl Band and Yo La Tengo. Off of my tits on pure hype.

Yeah I quite liked Anthem for Doomed Youth since when I saw it live last month and I agree with you on Glasgow Coma Scale Blues, it's like a B side off a single and wouldn't have been my pick for a single. It'll probably be a grower. I kinda wish they chose Barbarians or You're my Waterloo as a single.

Also the release date for the album apparently got pushed back a week because they want to do more album release events due to overwhelming demand.

You're my Waterloo is really good. Not heard Barbarians yet though. I don't see why they had to push it back for that? It's just going to be another bunch of tiny events that you can't get tickets for and only serve a tiny fraction of the fanbase anyway.

Steamlord

Oh man, over the next two months I'm going to seven concerts (Jenny Hval, Laetitia Sadier, Chelsea Wolfe, Beach House, Bully, Braids, Battles) in three different cities in three different states. That's going to be interesting. Fortunately three of them are in the same city over the course of four days so I'll just have to make one trip for those, then two others in that city are also on consecutive days, so I'll only have to make four trips total.

faridmon

I've grabbed tickets to see Deerhunter, Girl Band and Yo La Tengo. Off of my tits on pure hype.

Was thinking grabbing The Deerhunter tickets and then I realised that I am not really familiar with their music so I decided against last min.

I need to start listening to them

Speaking of which just bought Ought tickets. Really excited, one of the most fun live bands around.

Linius

Dude, go fix that and listen to Deerhunter asap and just buy the tickets already. They're an amazing live act.

I really hope I get another chance to see Ought in the fall season. The few summer gigs they do here are all at festivals I don't go to. Need them in a venue. And Courtney Barnett, she always picks the worst places to pop up and I still haven't had a chance to see her.

faridmon

Dude, go fix that and listen to Deerhunter asap and just buy the tickets already. They're an amazing live act.

I really hope I get another chance to see Ought in the fall season. The few summer gigs they do here are all at festivals I don't go to. Need them in a venue. And Courtney Barnett, she always picks the worst places to pop up and I still haven't had a chance to see her.

Yeah, been meaning to get into them for while. Deerhunter is one band I keep hearing about that seems to be within my taste.

Anyone listened to the new Fever Dream album? Its damn good, the drums are fantastic which can't be said about many Shoegaze bands out there.

Lnkn52

Any Miami peeps that are stuck listening to the radio sometimes, there is finally an alternative radio station. 104.3 the shark has arrived.

HiResDes

Protomartyr are fun, but there are twenty local bands that sound like them in any major city... There are very few Chelsea Wolfe analogues.

Steamlord

Considering Ringo Deathstarr went to shit after Colour Trip, it's really just a choice between Protomartyr and Chelsea, so definitely Chelsea.

faridmon

Considering Ringo Deathstarr went to shit after Colour Trip, it's really just a choice between Protomartyr and Chelsea, so definitely Chelsea.

I disagree. Gods Dream is their best release since Coulour Trip. Mauve was shit, but Gods Dream tramples all over it easily.

Daeda

TV on the Radio was epic as always. They clearly enjoy being in Amsterdam (besides for the drugs, Kyp was clearly stoned again XD)

King_Moc

Banned
Just watched Deafheaven. I think they (and especially the vocals) make a bit more sense live. It was pretty awesome. And give the support band, Marriages, a go because they were fantastic.

big ander

New protomartyr track, tho you're probably better off just leaving your place and walking down the street. Bound to run into one of the 20 bands in your area that sound just exactly the same

New Beach House is their worst and it's still pretty great. Not sure any other bands so consistently write perfect album closers

oh also did FYF this past weekend. Savages are the best live band. Got to help Jehnny Beth stand on the crowd and surf. new songs are like The Cure's goth rock trilogy meets Swans sung by Alan Vega.

HiResDes

New protomartyr track, tho you're probably better off just leaving your place and walking down the street. Bound to run into one of the 20 bands in your area that sound just exactly the same

New Beach House is their worst and it's still pretty great. Not sure any other bands so consistently write perfect album closers

oh also did FYF this past weekend. Savages are the best live band. Got to help Jehnny Beth stand on the crowd and surf. new songs are like The Cure's goth rock trilogy meets Swans sung by Alan Vega.
Don't take everything I say seriously, I was mostly being facetious. I'm not really feeling the new Beach House much though, even as a former fan. It's a less evocative retread of their past as albums that I love. I don't understand why they're getting rewarded for putting out such an empty, stagnant sounding record with such high scores from various outlets when it seems like a less popular band would have been hit with a five or below for putting for such an unimaginative effort.

overcast

We were amongst each other then man. Absolutely unbelievable performance. Every member of that band is on point. They got the crowd going too. I was right there up front. Definitely my surprise of the show. Those new tracks sound so good too.

Such a great weekend for music for me. Shlohmo, Jesus and Mary Chain, Health (technical issues hurt them badly), Death Grips with dirt clouds and death. Matter of fact Death Grips and D'Angelo back to back had me analyzing my humanity in the most different ways.

HiResDes

Dream Pop fans should really check out Helen's The Original Faces, album is really good, and the trio is led by Liz Harris of Grouper if you need a reason to prioritize it.

Pacbois

Same thing last weekend at la Route du Rock, amazing energy, Jenny being simply the most badass human being during the entire set. I was feeling shocked by how good it was. It was a big surprise as the pervious two times I saw them it was good but not that amazing.

I really want to see them again and be first row this time.

big ander

Don't take everything I say seriously, I was mostly being facetious. I'm not really feeling the new Beach House much though, even as a former fan. It's a less evocative retread of their past as albums that I love. I don't understand why they're getting rewarded for putting out such an empty, stagnant sounding record with such high scores from various outlets when it seems like a less popular band would have been hit with a five or below for putting for such an unimaginative effort.
heh I was just messing too. I wouldn't go as far as stagnant for this record, though it definitely feels like they tried to shrink down from Bloom (which was pretty much the only direction they could go after how huge that record sounded, especially "Irene") but did that without regaining the intimacy and krauty weirdness of the s/t or Devotion. They aimed for smaller and more specific, but hit smaller and (like you said) less evocative

We were amongst each other then man. Absolutely unbelievable performance. Every member of that band is on point. They got the crowd going too. I was right there up front. Definitely my surprise of the show. Those new tracks sound so good too.

Such a great weekend for music for me. Shlohmo, Jesus and Mary Chain, Health (technical issues hurt them badly), Death Grips with dirt clouds and death. Matter of fact Death Grips and D'Angelo back to back had me analyzing my humanity in the most different ways.
Nice. Yea most bands I'm so-so on hearing new stuff live--it could end up good, but it likely won't sound the same on-record anyway. Savages are one of a small handful of modern exceptions, a band that actually writes and performs their songs for live settings. I remember the first thing I got from them was a live EP they put out some time after their early single and I thought it was weird, then I listened and totally got why they'd do it.

Heh the dirt clouds at those outdoor stages seem like a big design flaw, got a ton of that during Savages. Everyone packed in the front was coughing and covering their mouths with bandanas lol. I was hacking through yesterday morning and I found more dirt in my hair today, days and multiple showers later. Other than that though yeah, awesome fest. Alvvays had some fun new tracks, dino jr were great to take a seat and relax to as the sun set, BBNG lived up to their live hype. I'd seen RTJ up close before so I watched them from the bar area through Close Your Eyes ft. de la Rocha (bullshit they don't let alcohol leave certain areas, makes no sense really and only encourages sneaking shit in) then saw the end of Shlohmo. Kanye was a blast, feels rare to see him be so off-the-cuff with a performance. after that I was too wiped to do anything but watch a song and a half of J&MC.
Sunday I did girlpool and a bit of Hop Along (weird to me that every review of this band talks about her voice, it didn't seem THAT out there to me), then most of Lower Dens just so I could be at the gate for Spiritualized. favorite band ever but I gotta see them do a headlining like 90 minute set for a dedicated crowd. And then that run of Battles->Health->DG, sucked that Battles and Health were both cut short. my theory was the fest knew they could control them, so they'd count on keeping them tight in the event DG fucked up the scheduling heh. But I didn't think either sounded bad at all. Death Grips was as much a clusterfuck as I thought it'd be, I could kinda see Ride as a faraway shadow but 3/4ths of the way thru decided I just wasn't having fun and caught one or two Belle & Sebastian tracks then a D'angelo song before leaving. It's a good festival, will definitely be looking for the lineup next year and hoping I have the cash.

Same thing last weekend at la Route du Rock, amazing energy, Jenny being simply the most badass human being during the entire set. I was feeling shocked by how good it was. It was a big surprise as the pervious two times I saw them it was good but not that amazing.

I really want to see them again and be first row this time.
I'd seen them once before (at p4k fest I believe) but I was medium distance away that time. even then I thought they were great, but being in the pit was incredible. Also I love that Ayse and Fay and especially Gemma are just as badass as Jehnny. she may get to strut like Bowie and stare down crowd members, but Gemma makes a fucking racket.

prefaces

jesus. september is gonna be a busy month for me. new gpogp(!), richard papiercuts, obnox, the l. voag & milk from cheltenham reissues, the francoise hardy reissues, cut with the cake knife, the coolies, the intelligence, greasepaint smile, cold beat and whatever's slipping my mind

new gpogp is here with album art that's totally nsfw

HiResDes

Where you been man, and didn't even know about half of that stuff. There are more Hardy reissues I felt like some came out just a couple of years ago.

prefaces

Where you been man, and didn't even know about half of that stuff. There are more Hardy reissues I felt like some came out just a couple of years ago.

hi des! been busy the past few weeks but i'm still here. just checked and i was wrong about the hardy reissues. future days is releasing them in january (or october if you want them on cd). disappointing but i'm mostly relieved. september just got significantly less expensive for me.

Is it worth a spin for someone who was decidedly meh on Holy Fire?

Caught Colleen Green at a super small live show on Wednesday. Don't get why some people (Stereogum) are hyping her up so much, but as DIY girl-fronted garage goes her new album is pretty solid.

Top Bottom