• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

King_Moc

Banned
Is it worth a spin for someone who was decidedly meh on Holy Fire?

Caught Colleen Green at a super small live show on Wednesday. Don't get why some people (Stereogum) are hyping her up so much, but as DIY girl-fronted garage goes her new album is pretty solid.

It's a bit heavier and generally more "big" sounding. The elements of Foals music that irritated me before (basically everything in the song "My Number") have almost completely slipped away at this point.

It's worth a go. I think the NME site is streaming it for free at the moment.

Debating if I want to go see Ought next month, I'm kind of indifferent to them but Diet Cig and LVL Up are both opening and that seems like a pretty good line up.

faridmon

Debating if I want to go see Ought next month, I'm kind of indifferent to them but Diet Cig and LVL Up are both opening and that seems like a pretty good line up.

I already bought their ticket for this Tuesday, but didn't know that they were supported by LVL Up. Maybe its region based but it would be cool if LVL Up was there. Diet Cig are cool too but I need an album by them to fully get excited about.

Ought are really fun live though. Very energetic!

big ander

see Ought live

new Low album is fantastic. similar to Drums and Guns, also reminds me of their debut in some ways. reminding the kids they can make an unfuckwithable dream pop album anytime.

I like this bedroom pop album by Brittle Brian: https://brittlebrian.bandcamp.com/album/verisune riyl alex g, emily yacina, frankie cosmos, spencer radcliffe, eskimeaux. that kinda stuff. "In Touch", "Devil" and "Hospittle" are good

Pacbois

First day of Rock en Seine :

Great sets from Kate Tempest and Wand, Wolf Alice was fun, Kasabian surprisingly decent, FFS kinda shitty and The Offspring embarassing (that's not surprising tho).

King_Moc

Banned
Apparently the debut album from Hooton Tennis Club is getting rave reviews. Can't wait to get it in few days.

I didn't realise it was out until earlier, gave it a listen earlier and it sounded good but I was in the middle of something. Gonna give it a go in a bit.

faridmon

I didn't realise it was out until earlier, gave it a listen earlier and it sounded good but I was in the middle of something. Gonna give it a go in a bit.

Yeah it came out last week but the reviews were all posted days before and all of them are pointing the album out to be a fun and upbeat slacker music with some catchy groove and just light hearted lyrics. Sounds perfect!

Their tour plans

11872040_897753810301379_5750366333927883334_o.jpg

King_Moc

Banned
Yeah it came out last week but the reviews were all posted days before and all of them are pointing the album out to be a fun and upbeat slacker music with some catchy groove and just light hearted lyrics. Sounds perfect!

Their tour plans

Was going to get tickets to Bedford, it being 20 miles away and £6, but I've just noticed they're playing the On Blackheath festival on the day i'm there. Will go to the Bedford gig if they turn out to be great live.

gang of four and public image ltd are coming to my burg

anyone seem em live? i realize gang of four nowadays is andy gill + randos but im still interested.

Pacbois

Their tour plans

Happyness is opening for them in Paris and it's in a cool venue so I'll probably go !

Linius

Their tour plans

The Amsterdam gig is free with my pass. Will check it out.

Pacbois

There's possibly a new Grandaddy album and you guys keep talking about Miley Cyrus.

COME ON GUYS.

Haven't checked the Miley album yet but I guess I should

Linius

There's possibly a new Grandaddy album and you guys keep talking about Miley Cyrus.

COME ON GUYS.

Haven't checked the Miley album yet but I guess I should

I loved them at ReS a couple of years back and they make great music. But not sure if I should get hyped yet, no idea how the music will be after so many years. But yes, they have my interest of course!

This month is insanely busy with albums coming out, some of the few I'm looking forward to include:

Fidlar - Too
The Libertines - Anthems for Doomed Youth
Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon
New Order - Music Complete
Swim Deep - Mothers

Also have listened to Foals new album on repeat for the last few days, I'd put their albums in order by Total Life Forever > What Went Down > Antidotes = Holy Fire. My favourite tracks on the album are Albatross, London Thunder and Mountain at my Gates.

I was also on bandsintown the other night and there's like 5 or 6 bands I wanna see in 5 weeks in November/December like Chastity Belt, Fidlar, Wolf Alice, Albert Hammond Jr's solo stuff, Best Coast and Bloc Party. It's gonna be one hell of an expensive month!

King_Moc

Banned
This month is insanely busy with albums coming out, some of the few I'm looking forward to include:

Fidlar - Too
The Libertines - Anthems for Doomed Youth
Lana Del Rey - Honeymoon
New Order - Music Complete
Swim Deep - Mothers

Also have listened to Foals new album on repeat for the last few days, I'd put their albums in order by Total Life Forever > What Went Down > Antidotes = Holy Fire. My favourite tracks on the album are Albatross, London Thunder and Mountain at my Gates.

I was also on bandsintown the other night and there's like 5 or 6 bands I wanna see in 5 weeks in November/December like Chastity Belt, Fidlar, Wolf Alice, Albert Hammond Jr's solo stuff, Best Coast and Bloc Party. It's gonna be one hell of an expensive month!

Also, Low, Battles, Metric, Ought, Girl Band, Chvrches, US Girls, Wand, Silverson Pickups, Kurt Vile and Mercury Rev. This has been the best month for music in a long time.

I'm seeing Chastity Belt and Best Coast also. May go and see Albert Hammond Jr too, I do like his solo stuff, but I've got a stupid number of gigs booked for the rest of the year.

Also, Low, Battles, Metric, Ought, Girl Band, Chvrches, US Girls, Wand, Silverson Pickups, Kurt Vile and Mercury Rev. This has been the best month for music in a long time.

I'm seeing Chastity Belt and Best Coast also. May go and see Albert Hammond Jr too, I do like his solo stuff, but I've got a stupid number of gigs booked for the rest of the year.

Completely forgot about Girl Band and Ought, I'll definitely check the rest of the albums you listed out too.

Steamlord

Swans are currently working on what will be the final album from the current iteration of the band. So not the end of Swans, but the end of the lineup that brought us their last three albums, and therefore probably the end of that particular sound.

Right now they're doing a fundraiser, Kickstarter-type thing (not Kickstarter though) with a live 3xLP / 2xCD with handmade packaging to support the recording of their next album, which is coming out next year. Based on the tier you choose, the purchase also includes the new album when it comes out, and a 2014/2015 tour document DVD.

They'll also be touring extensively after the album is completed - again, for the last time for a while.

http://younggodrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-gate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W2kdrLlz7U

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The video for Fidlar's "40oz On Repeat" isn't new (although it is to me) but it's a pretty fun send-up of all those '90s videos. Don't really like the song itself much, but the visual content is fun!

Swans are currently working on what will be the final album from the current iteration of the band. So not the end of Swans, but the end of the lineup that brought us their last three albums, and therefore probably the end of that particular sound.

Right now they're doing a fundraiser, Kickstarter-type thing (not Kickstarter though) with a live 3xLP / 2xCD with handmade packaging to support the recording of their next album, which is coming out next year. Based on the tier you choose, the purchase also includes the new album when it comes out, and a 2014/2015 tour document DVD.

They'll also be touring extensively after the album is completed - again, for the last time for a while.

http://younggodrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-gate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W2kdrLlz7U

Instantly bought the CD. I saw them for the 4th time a few weeks ago, and it was the best gig i've been attending to this year.

I suspect my new non-shitty earplugs made me enjoy the show much more.

Yeah this Julia Holter is amazing.

I saw her when she toured after Loud City Song and it was honestly one of the best live shows I've ever been to, she's just incredible.

Now the only tour dates near me are her opening for fucking Beirut at huge venues so uh no thanks.

overcast

How do you guys feel about the new Alex G and new Kurt Vile? Both are out there.

Just haven't got around to them. Really liked that single from Kurt.

chris121580

I'm really digging this Dan Auerbach side project, The Arcs. It's really damn good and better than the last couple of Black Keys albums

Steamlord

Burn Your Fire for No Witness is just breathtaking all the way through. It was my AOTY last year and it's still as fresh as it was the first time I listened to it. Fresher actually, because it was a grower for me.

Top Bottom