• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

zerotol

Banned
I have an extra download code for the reissue Unwound 4 LP box set Empire that just came out. Includes a Pdf booklet of photos and liner notes I think. If any of you want it, quote this and I'll pm it to you.

Pacbois

I have an extra download code for the reissue Unwound 4 LP box set Empire that just came out. Includes a Pdf booklet of photos and liner notes I think. If any of you want it, quote this and I'll pm it to you.

Considering Leaves Turn Inside You is a favourite of mine, I won't say no.

overcast

New Chromatics track "Shadow"! It's for that adult swim singles series, but will also be on Dear Tommy.
Good track.
LTTP Angel Olsen.

Goddamn at her NPR Tiny Desk performance. Powerful stuff. ;_;
Ooh I haven't watched that. Definitely going to. One of my favorite current artists and yes, one of my top albums of 2014 for sure. I saw her play at a small movie theater in LA. Was able to meet her and speak with her for a few minutes after actually. Great performance and a really easy person to converse with.

Poison Season has, after many plays, and on a variety of substance, fully cemented itself in my top 5. While I think it's less consistently brilliant compared to Kaputt (read: flawless), that does very little to dull some spectacular highs.

Absolutely brilliant. Much better than Kaputt for me, which is very good in itself but might be my least favorite Destroyer album since City of Daughters. I wasn't too fond of the singles released before the new one but after listening to the whole thing an unhealthy amount of times since release it really has grown on me. So so so good. Not quite Rubies level, but up there somewhere.

Oh wow a Grandaddy album? Yas Pls.

Ooh I haven't watched that. Definitely going to. One of my favorite current artists and yes, one of my top albums of 2014 for sure. I saw her play at a small movie theater in LA. Was able to meet her and speak with her for a few minutes after actually. Great performance and a really easy person to converse with.

I'm dying to see her live now. I remember people telling me she killed at FYF last year and I nonchalantly didn't care that I missed it. Regret that now. lol. Certainly an artist that grew on me. Hopefully I can catch one of her shows and in a small intimate venue.

Linius

Yesterday I finally saw My Morning Jacket for the first time. What a great gig. They hardly said a word except for hello and goodbye and just kept on playing for well over two hours. A lot of stuff from the latest album of course. But also the classics like Dondante, One Big Holiday and Mahgeetah. I'd really recommend checking those guys out if you got the chance.

Setlist for those interested.

chris121580

Yesterday I finally saw My Morning Jacket for the first time. What a great gig. They hardly said a word except for hello and goodbye and just kept on playing for well over two hours. A lot of stuff from the latest album of course. But also the classics like Dondante, One Big Holiday and Mahgeetah. I'd really recommend checking those guys out if you got the chance.

They are excellent live and their latest album is a real return to form in my opinion. It's so good and sadly it's not getting much attention

Linius

Yeah I'm digging the new one too so it didn't bother me they played almost all of it. Combined with their old stuff it made for a balanced setlist.

Mifune

Mehmber
The new Frog Eyes album is pretty great. Can't wait to see them with Destroyer later this month. Spencer Krug (Wolf Parade, Sunset Rubdown) wrote the string parts! Where art thou Spencer Krug?

EDIT: Apparently Krug has a solo project called Moonface that I will now listen to for the rest of the day.

big ander

awesome, same day as the Loaded deluxe. Only of these tracks I have are the ones that were on the 1969 s/t anniversary reissue from last year, bugged me they had next to no organization and were blended across sets and only had one version of each song, looking forward to something more comprehensive. the 37 minute Sister Ray is something.

Anyone get a chance to listen to the new Libertines album that came out today? Have listened to a few tracks and it's better than I thought it would be. Some of my favourite tracks so far are Gunga Din, Fury of Chonburi and You're my Waterloo. I presume overall the album will be a grower on me.

Also a new Wolf Alice song came out today "Baby Ain't Made of China"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOeryr0vUbM

The track is available as a free download in the description as well.

The new Fidlar record has also gotten numerous playtime this week as well. Great record.

lord quas

Anyone get a chance to listen to the new Libertines album that came out today? Have listened to a few tracks and it's better than I thought it would be. Some of my favourite tracks so far are Gunga Din, Fury of Chonburi and You're my Waterloo. I presume overall the album will be a grower on me.

Also a new Wolf Alice song came out today "Baby Ain't Made of China"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOeryr0vUbM

The track is available as a free download in the description as well.

The new Fidlar record has also gotten numerous playtime this week as well. Great record.

I'm listening to the new Libs album now and it's better than I expected... weird subdued production sometimes, but some solid and surprisingly catchy tracks

New Deerhunter is starting out really great. Seems like a weird fusion of their last three albums soncially except it manages to find these really infectious grooves.

Julia Holter and Deerhunter are throwing my top 10 into chaos, not that I'm complaining.

Fave tracks on To Have You in my Wilderness are How Long? and the just fantastic one-two punch of Betsy on the Roof and Vasquez.

I've been fighting the urge to listen to the shitty Deerhunter leak, but this other single got me good.

I fucking love the chorus. Can't wait for this and a new Lotus Plaza rec.
In other news, Jenny Lee Lindbergh ( <3 ) is putting a solo record out. Sounds cool.

Linius

Super excited for Mac DeMarco tonight. He'll be stoned as fuck probably
QVPSZuL.png

Fjordson

Super excited for Mac DeMarco tonight. He'll be stoned as fuck probably
QVPSZuL.png
Nice, Mac puts on such a good show (at least from what I've seen).

Funniest part about his shows may be the random ass covers. Last time I saw him they broke out into Reelin' in the Years loll

Linius

The previous tour he played Coldplay a lot mostly Yellow. That was fun. From what I've seen they're playing Metallica covers this year.

EDIT

Awesome night. Mac fucking rocks. Tonight's covers were from the peppers, Metallica and Deep Purple.

BoerBert

The Peppers cover was the best one of the night, imo. Mac broke a string, two seconds later everybody's singing along to Under the Bridge. Can't be the first time this happened.

BoerBert

I'm quite convinced Mac breaks his strings on purpose. Every midshow cover is preceded by Mac breaking his string :p

Haha, I should've known. Can't remember if he did it last time I saw him (London Calling 2013, you were there?), but my brother told me he did it the first time he saw them play.

Linius

Wasn't at London Calling. I always try to avoid that event because of the terrible crowd and atmosphere. But then they book Spoon and this year they have Spiritualized. It's like they know that will lure me out.

Anyways, last year I saw Mac in Paris and there he broke his string too and then after some talking they started playing Yellow by Coldplay. I think they just always have a cover ready for when this happens.

Video here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPINQm8_aEY

chris121580

Strongly recommend checking out the debut solo album by Chris Baio(bass player from Vampire Weekend). It's excellent but don't expect a Vampire Weekend sound...a couple of songs are that way but a lot of it is experimental and awesome

Meier

The Circa Waves album is FINALLY out in America and it's fantastic. Highly recommended!

Saw My Morning Jacket and French Kicks play a street festival in Chicago back in 2005. Fantastic. Z was not quite out yet (it's been so long, but I'm sure they must have played a few songs off it though), but it remains my favorite MMJ album.. a true classic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/abellwillring/albums/72157600550911585

French Kicks' album The Trial of the Century is absolutely wonderful and still holds up really well. Nice cover design too.

Top Bottom