• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Steamlord

I just stammered out multiple words to Laetitia Sadier.

66GbHV3.gif

amnesiac

I've been getting into The Kinks lately, really only knowing their big hits.

But wow:

Face To Face
Something Else
Arthur
Village Green
Lola

All wonderful albums.

Linius

Still debating if I should go see Menace Beach today. Mostly cause of financial reasons.

And The Kinks are awesome indeed.

Pacbois

"S...Stereolab when?"

?

Pretty much.

She's playing a Red Bull Music Academy Paris thing headlined by Nicolas Godin, it should be insteresting.

Also Trust Fund is opening for all the eu Speedy Ortiz show, except in Paris, because we don't deserve good things.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
My favorite, favorite, favorite band are changing their name because some groups of people find it offensive.

edit: Been going back to some stuff I hadn't listened to in 10-15 years, and today it's been all the projects that came out of Hum's demise. Lotta diversity from these guys, and I was surprised to see that Matt Talbot and Tim Lash only managed to get one album released from each of their respective bands (Centaur and Glifted), but Jeff Dimpsey's work as National Skyline has been consistently putting out albums independently since 2000.

National Skyline, "A Night at the Drugstore"
Glifted, "The Ground"
Centaur, "The Same Place"

Linius

Yeah, I read about Viet Cong. It's a tough one. I can see how their name is offensive because of the things the Viet Cong did back in the day. On the other hand that doesn't really have a lot to do with why they called themselves that. But I respect the band's choice to do it this way.

big ander

bands can and should call themselves whatever the hell they want—it better have purpose though. ex-Viet Cong's name served no purpose. seems like they chose this one just because it sounded mildly provocative and cool, which is a shallow reason to choose a name. if their aims as a band were to offend and exclude for some ideological reason then it'd make sense, but they admit themselves they just want to try to make some familiar and good-enough noise postpunk. no point to keep a name that much much smarter people than any of them have pointed out as being uncouth

Pacbois

bands can and should call themselves whatever the hell they want—it better have purpose though. ex-Viet Cong's name served no purpose. seems like they chose this one just because it sounded mildly provocative and cool, which is a shallow reason to choose a name. if their aims as a band were to offend and exclude for some ideological reason then it'd make sense, but they admit themselves they just want to try to make some familiar and good-enough noise postpunk. no point to keep a name that much much smarter people than any of them have pointed out as being uncouth

Yup.

Saw Ought on the first show of their new tour last Thursday. They absolutely slayed, new album sounds great live but the real highlight was a much tighter and driving version of Today More Then Any Other Day.

Viet Cong were pretty good. The tracks off Casette landed with a wet thud but the expanded live versions of Bunker Buster and Death got people worked into a almost religious frenzy, one of the most committed moshes I've seen in a while.

Linius

Yeah, Viet Cong still need some work on their live shows. There's some brilliance in there, but they're behind on Ought in that aspect. Death was thrilling though. I saw them before the album came out last year and that song blew me away. A week later the album leaked. Was surprised to find out that it was indeed just a very long song :p

Steamlord

Chelsea Wolfe was amazing. I was in the front row and she got right up in my face during House of Metal. If you ever have a choice between seeing her and pretty much any other band, go with Chelsea.

Wovenhand's set felt twice as long as it actually was though, and not in a good way :/

chris121580

The original thread for it is an absolute shit show but for us more open minded people that post in this thread, the cover album by Ryan Adams of Taylor Swift's 1989 is fantastic. He really took the songs and molded it into a style that is his own. I highly recommend checking it out

Linius

Thanks for telling me about the original thread, that was a fun read :lol

And I dig Ryan Adams version for what it is. Some songs are really Bruce Springsteen esque.

EDIT

Found the link to the songs. You didn't lie Equipped, Welcome To New York is ace.

Steamlord

Can't wait. Was it loud? (I want it to be so loud it hurts)

Oh yeah. Not MBV loud (they literally caused me to fear for my hearing and made me think I had tinnitus for several days afterward), but it was definitely loud. Tons of bass too, just thrumming through your entire body. Awesome experience.

That Girl Band record is raw as fuck. Baloo sounds like St Vincent's Krokodil.

Oh yeah. Not MBV loud (they literally caused me to fear for my hearing and made me think I had tinnitus for several days afterward), but it was definitely loud. Tons of bass too, just thrumming through your entire body. Awesome experience.

Glad to read that.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't care about offensive band names generally, but names that have special characters, all caps, repeated words, etc, I will just not even listen to a lot of the time.

Mau ®;179384039 said:
Can't wait for Julia Hotler's album. The three singles released so far are amazing and the reviews are glowing.

The singles aren't even the best tracks :)

faridmon

Really odd that Tamaryn's absolutely wonderful new album hasn't even been mentioned here yet. I thought Des was a fan?

I was looking forward to it when she dropped the first track on Soundcloud (or was it Youtube?) earlier this year, but she never specified any date then. I completely forgot to check later.

I just found out today that its out. Holy crap, just wish people who just be forthcoming about their release dates first when they actually announce the damn release itself.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yeah, I hear that. Between vague release dates, delays, or new bands who unfortunately put 90% of their soon-to-be albums on soundcloud over the preceding months (or years!), I don't usually pay much attention these days until I can actually listen to something in full.

Makes for some nice surprises, too: like today, when there's a new Autre Ne Veut streaming on NPR out of nowhere!

King_Moc

Banned
I'm only Halfway through, but so far I'm really liking the new New Order album. Guitars have been ditched entirely in favour of their late 80's dance sound.

The Lana Del Rey album was pretty good too, probably a bit downbeat for some though. She seems to have been concentrating on Bond theme style ballads.

Top Bottom