• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

big ander

Started the new Wild Nothing a bit ago after refreshing on Nocturne yesterday (still a killer record), gonna see if this lives up to that one. haven't spent much time w/it but I'm not too big on Gemini and I haven't heard any of their EPs, I dunno if any of those are worth putting my time towards.
really really like this. not saying much to say it's better than 90% of Overgrown, but that's still something I wanna say. I wonder if Kanye's still featured on it.

omgkitty

Overgrown is so fucking under appreciated, good album

I feel like James Blake has a weird split with his albums in that I think a lot of the people who loved his first album (like me) didn't necessarily take to Overgrown. I liked it, but it didn't resonate with me the way his first album did. Then you have people that didn't necessarily like or even pay attention to the first album, but really like Overgrown. You also have people that only like the EP's he put out before his first album, but those people are crazy.

big ander

New Wild Nothing is indeed really great. I think I've read this comparison before but for the first time I really feel a Cut Copy comparison, it's like an album of the laid back tracks on In Ghost Colours. Lot of repetition of sticky melodies
Overgrown is so fucking under appreciated, good album
Is it under-appreciated though? I mean I know plenty of people fall into the same camp I'm in: it's his worst collection of songs, but for Blake that's not all that damning. Overgrown has fantastic songs on it, Voyeur is killer future garage, Digital Lion is beautiful, Retrograde proved he didn't have to jump off from his dad and Feist to create an anthemic monster of an electronic soul song. It's just that I've always been unmoved by a handful of the songs and underwhelmed by how it all holds together as an album. And while I know I'm not at all unique in that opinion, the overall reception was pretty damn positive. critics adored it, I knew fans who thought it a huge improvement on the s/t.
I feel like James Blake has a weird split with his albums in that I think a lot of the people who loved his first album (like me) didn't necessarily take to Overgrown. I liked it, but it didn't resonate with me the way his first album did. Then you have people that didn't necessarily like or even pay attention to the first album, but really like Overgrown. You also have people that only like the EP's he put out before his first album, but those people are crazy.
I'm not one of them but I get those people—if you liked him for like Klavierwerk and Sparing the Horses (which remains one of his most overlooked songs), all these wonky uk garage cuts, him going full soulful songwriter for the s/t would've been a shock to the system. I'm glad I came across him when I did, right when Limit to Your Love video dropped, so when I went back to CMYK Bells Sketch etc before the s/t came out the throughline between it all was easier to parse out than it might have been for uk bass people who hadn't been expecting him to go that direction

Linius

The new Damien Jurado album leaked, what a time to be alive

Oh and Canshaker Pi dropped their Boomslang EP today, up on spotify etc. Really recommended for everyone who digs that 90's indie rock vibe.

faridmon

Field Day just announced that James Blake is the one who is headlining the Saturdays and they added couple of names

With James Blake, Nimmo, Fickle Friends and Dilly Dally announce for Saturday plus Girl Band, Four Tet, Deerhunter, Holly Herndon, Metz, Mura Masa and Soak, I have decided I am gonna ago for Saturday.

Although its gonna suck not seeing PJ Harvey and Parquet Court on Sunday.

Linius

Dude, just go the full weekend. If you're gonna go to London anyways. You'll regret it
uMW3dcp.png

If I had the money I would have come down there, it's a great line-up

faridmon

Dude, just go the full weekend. If you're gonna go to London anyways. You'll regret it
uMW3dcp.png

If I had the money I would have come down there, it's a great line-up

Its way overprice for what it is, and from what I heard, its just full of assholes anyway.
I am just going there for Girl Band.

Visions Festival is where is at, mate!

faridmon

HIghaskite announced their second album ''Camp Echo'' for 20th May and I am looking forward to it. Nice to see its a worlwide release since the Norwegian release and the German release of their first album was like 8 months with with UK somewhere in between.

12717318_1125156687497306_7730165053042444927_n.jpg

King_Moc

Banned
Its way overprice for what it is, and from what I heard, its just full of assholes anyway.
I am just going there for Girl Band.

Visions Festival is where is at, mate!

I was at Field Day for Pixies a couple of years ago and they were selling 250ml of Pepsi for £2.50, literally poured from a 2 litres bottle. They were getting £20 out of a £2 bottle.

And yeah, it was full of the Shoreditch lot.

I'm still tempted by the Saturday as well. It's not like it's going to sell out, so i might wait and see if someone sells a cheap ticket online a couple of days before. Deerhunter, Girl Band, Metz and Four Tet is a very nice lineup for me.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2016/02/belly_reforming.html
Belly, Tanya Donelly's post-Throwing-Muses band, are reforming. It's the original lineup of the band, including brothers Tom and Chris Gorman plus bassist Gail Greenwood (who joined around the time of the first album's release). There will be UK shows in July followed by a North American tour in August and September. Belly are also promising new songs. Stay tuned.

Man, Donelly is like the '90s personified (in the best way possible). Considering how great Throwing Muses' return album was a few years back, I actually have fairly strong expectations for this, unlike with a lot of these nostalgia reunions.

faridmon

HOLY SHIT :(

Viola Beach die in car crash in Sweden

RIP. They were up and coming band that actually looked they were gonna break it big. Played an BBC Introducing last year and everyone loved them.

My condolences.

I

I'm still tempted by the Saturday as well. It's not like it's going to sell out, so i might wait and see if someone sells a cheap ticket online a couple of days before. Deerhunter, Girl Band, Metz and Four Tet is a very nice lineup for me.
Never bought a ticket second hand (except for a scalper who was standing in front of Koko selling King Charles ticket) don''t know if I am gonna take the chance though.

King_Moc

Banned
Never bought a ticket second hand (except for a scalper who was standing in front of Koko selling King Charles ticket) don''t know if I am gonna take the chance though.

I've bought and sold via Twickets before. That way you avoid the scummy profiteerers. It does require a degree of trust though, I guess.

Linius

I used stubhub for my Strokes ticket last year. Didn't pay a penny extra and got my ticket in the mail within a few days.

big ander

New Guerilla Toss record is bananas. refines what worked so well about their turn from noise rock/no wave to dance-punk with Smack the Brick and Flood Dosed. this song from it just premiered: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/guerrilla-toss-grass-shack-premiere-new-space-barbarella
Been listening to Chastity Belt, fell in love with one song in particular when we play them at work.

"Time to Go Home". (My favorite song on their album)

"Drone" (..."he was just another man...tryin to teach me something....")

"Joke"

the title track there is definitely a nice song, I prefer CB's first record still but they're a great outfit. If you love them you gotta hear this side project with Julia (Chastity Belt's singer/guitarist) called Childbirth, a Seattle punk supergroup with hilarious songs: https://suicidesqueeze.bandcamp.com/album/womens-rights

EDIT: New Yuck album is streaming. I still have hope for these dudes, may be the only one.

New Guerilla Toss record is bananas. refines what worked so well about their turn from noise rock/no wave to dance-punk with Smack the Brick and Flood Dosed. this song from it just premiered: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/guerrilla-toss-grass-shack-premiere-new-space-barbarella

the title track there is definitely a nice song, I prefer CB's first record still but they're a great outfit. If you love them you gotta hear this side project with Julia (Chastity Belt's singer/guitarist) called Childbirth, a Seattle punk supergroup with hilarious songs: https://suicidesqueeze.bandcamp.com/album/womens-rights

EDIT: New Yuck album is streaming. I still have hope for these dudes, may be the only one.

I'm a Seattle native, born and raised, I feel bad that I'm not more keyed into my city's music scene. Working on it. Will listen to Childbirth, thanks for the recommendation!

faridmon

Yeah, Childbirth's debut was really good. Definitely one of the most underrated record of last year.

Yuck is coming to my town in May, not sure if I will see them though.

Linius

Yeah proper job. Covering the Velvet Underground ain't easy

Father John Misty also pulled it off with these Taylor Swift songs

Davey Cakes

Finally got around to listening to Daughter's "Not to Disappear."

I rather enjoyed the album. Really nice sound, beautiful at times. Some of the lyrics were a bit too basic here and there, which is probably my biggest gripe. I'm not usually a stickler for this sort of thing.

I wonder if the band will grow in popularity. They seemed like such a random shot in the dark when I listened to their first LP, but I think their newest work is making them even more approachable.

Looking forward to it! I'm not listening to anything from the EP until the full release.

I love Art Angels by Grimes,

Sometimes I Sit and Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit by Courtney Barnett, and

Sufjan Steven's Illinoise and Carrie and Lowell.

I never knew indie could have such great music. What are some GOAT indie albums?

faridmon

lol

''indie'' is such loose term that have lost its meaning.

Just browse through the last 3 pages and you will find our AOTY lists and albums we have been raving about lately.

Lately, I have been listening to the DIIV album non-stop. Such an amazing record.

lol

''indie'' is such loose term that have lost its meaning.

Just browse through the last 3 pages and you will find our AOTY lists and albums we have been raving about lately.

Lately, I have been listening to the DIIV album non-stop. Such an amazing record.

Indie isn't really a genre now with the amount that's shoved into it. It's more a subculture now

HiResDes

I love Art Angels by Grimes,

Sometimes I Sit and Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit by Courtney Barnett, and

Sufjan Steven's Illinoise and Carrie and Lowell.

I never knew indie could have such great music. What are some GOAT indie albums?
Breh what are you talking about might as well say I didn't know there was cool modern rock and pop.

denx

Just listened to the new AC album and I'm not really feeling it. While I appreciate they scaled back the sonic clutter (Centipede Hz sounded like a goddamn mess), most of the songs in the new album feel pretty flat and kinda blend with each other, not in a good way. I'm gonna listen to it again but I'm not feeling optimistic.

Top Bottom