• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

King_Moc

Banned
I'm really liking the new Car Seat Headrest song. I didn't realise Teens of Style was a compilation album, so I was surprised to see new material so soon. Makes sense to me now though!

Car Seat Headrest - Vincent

Also, i'm loving Bleached's new stuff. I love the 80's summery indie rock style of it. They kind of remind me of 'Crash' by The Primitives, but with chunkier chords.

Bleached - Keep on Keepin' On
Bleached - Wednesday Night Melody

Edit:
Really digging the new deep sea diver record.

Hadn't heard these before, listening now (to the previous album) and it's pretty good!

Anyone listen to the 1975's new album? Few decent tracks. Expect a lot to get regular airplay over the next few months though that'll probably make me hate it.

faridmon

Anyone else listening to the new School of Seven Bells album? I am really liking it so far. Just melodically relaxing and catchy.

Anyone listen to the 1975's new album? Few decent tracks. Expect a lot to get regular airplay over the next few months though that'll probably make me hate it.

It got 4 stars on The Guardian. I suspect its good for people who like that kind of stuff.

oh and stay away from the Radio, they are being played every few minutes or so.

chris121580

Real big fan of this debut from DMA's. It's a shame these guys are being pigeon holed as some sort of Oasis rip off by some reviewers. The album is great and they have a really bright future

third yuck record is so bland, the last song sounds like built to spill which is cool but everything else just sounds like repackaged real estate b-sides.

big ander

third yuck record is so bland, the last song sounds like built to spill which is cool but everything else just sounds like repackaged real estate b-sides.

just listened to it on the way to work and I mostly agree. there are sorta good songs ("Hearts in Motion", "Only Silence", "Yr Face") and everything else is forgettable. I actually like Glow & Behold more, that one at least has "Lose My Breath" which is as good as any song on their first album

I wonder if Blumberg will ever do another Hebronix record. the first was alright, but it looks like he mostly does visual art now and occasionally plays a show.

thabiz

Real big fan of this debut from DMA's. It's a shame these guys are being pigeon holed as some sort of Oasis rip off by some reviewers. The album is great and they have a really bright future
Based on the few things I checked and their press photos, I'd say the reviewers are dead on. You could plop these guys in a time machine and send them back to 94,and nobody would notice.

It's unfortunate as they were better with Daniel Blumberg in the band, and Daniel Blumberg was better with them as well as opposed to his projects since.

chris121580

Based on the few things I checked and their press photos, I'd say the reviewers are dead on. You could plop these guys in a time machine and send them back to 94,and nobody would notice.
I don't think that should be held against them though. They've put out a hell of a debut

Fjordson

That Crescendo album is fantastic. So catchy. Ended up buying it after a few tracks as well as their first album from a few years ago. Thanks biz.

Davey Cakes

If you like dream pop and video game music then you'll dig the Crescendo album, likely.

It was a worthwhile listen. Thanks for the rec.

I've been looking for an album that was posted somewhere here before but I can't remember it. I know that the album art was a Renaissance-style painting of something covered in a shroud and bleeding (maybe it was in a bathtub). I also remember the song being described as very Joy Divisiony.

faridmon

I've been looking for an album that was posted somewhere here before but I can't remember it. I know that the album art was a Renaissance-style painting of something covered in a shroud and bleeding (maybe it was in a bathtub). I also remember the song being described as very Joy Divisiony.

That came out last year?

Maybe One of these:

Protomartyr_LP2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC7M9ztfS4U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFaIaAT9Up8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDqJrsQx7T4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUMZf96K9l4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efFsd1xK75Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozu7khdHLYM

Steamlord

Soft Kill - Heresy?

Or if you don't mean from last year, maybe Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness?

Xun

Ughh.

I really want to go to NOS Alive, but the flights are so fucking expensive. :(

The acts playing are fantastic.

King_Moc

Banned
Ughh.

I really want to go to NOS Alive, but the flights are so fucking expensive. :(

The acts playing are fantastic.

You have to jump on these European festivals quickly as the flights scale up in price as they sell more plane tickets. I'm going to NOS Alive, but only because I was basically priced out of Primavera in Barcelona for the same reason.

Xun

You have to jump on these European festivals quickly as the flights scale up in price as they sell more plane tickets. I'm going to NOS Alive, but only because I was basically priced out of Primavera in Barcelona for the same reason.
I know, unfortunately I was waiting on my friends to get their act together.

Just researching other routes, so hopefully I'll be able to find something decent. :/

faridmon

While extremely bloated, there was some good stuff on hurry up.

While I liked to some degree, that album was way more poppy than i should. The main tracks sounded like they were made for the masses.

But yeah, it had some great ambient, atmospheric tracks, but the pop ones were too much. I really liked the balance of Saturday = Youth struck of being synthy pop and experimental on its own way.

Top Bottom